ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson winning QB job isn't a foregone conclusion, says Fitz

Wow what a negative response regarding one of the top rated QB's coming out of H.S! Let's try and remember that he is now three years older and also NU isn't "just" an academic school but one that won it's division and played for the conference championship last season.

It’s not negative, it’s reality. His question mark at Brownsburg was his wliinihgness to compete. That was on full display at Clemson. Fitz needs to make him compete. And Northwestern is not Clemson, Bama, OSU, UGA, etc... That’s what I meant by major programs. Shea Patterson was a 5 Star & #1 QB in his class. He has stunk against the good defenses he played. It’s not a popular opinion on here because people see Hunter as a savior just as Michigan fans saw Shea as a savior, but I think Hunter is not what people think, just like Shea isn’t.

It’s not negative, it’s reality. His question mark at Brownsburg was his wliinihgness to compete. That was on full display at Clemson. Fitz needs to make him compete. And Northwestern is not Clemson, Bama, OSU, UGA, etc... That’s what I meant by major programs. Shea Patterson was a 5 Star & #1 QB in his class. He has stunk against the good defenses he played. It’s not a popular opinion on here because people see Hunter as a savior just as Michigan fans saw Shea as a savior, but I think Hunter is not what people think, just like Shea isn’t.

Nothing you are saying is consistent with what we have heard about Hunter since he stepped on campus. Thanks for stopping by. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Nothing you are saying is consistent with what we have heard about Hunter since he stepped on campus. Thanks for stopping by. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Cool. So his 4 year HS career was wrong & his time at Clemson was wrong? LOL

So your people are telling you feel good stories? Cool.
Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Blown out at home by Duke.
Beat by Akron at home.
Beat 5 win Nebraska in OT.
Beat worse P5 program Rutgers by 3.
Beat horrible Illinois by one score.
Lose to the only 3 good teams played (two at home & one at neutral site) by an average of two TDS.
Yeah, major program...fool’s gold.
Hunter will crack. He always has unfortunately.

Obviously this isn't a popular opinion on this board during the off season when everyone is in first place and feels good about their team. You may know something about HJ's high School career but I find it hard to believe that all the coaches and scouts at schools like Clemson and all the rating services who rated him a 5 star were that far off. On top of that he wasn't the only highly regarded QB to leave Clemson due to the arrival of a guy who appears to be a once n a generation QB prodigy.

Reactions: drewjin

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.
Lose to the only 3 good teams played (two at home & one at neutral site) by an average of two TDS.

He competed at Clemson as a true freshman and got beat out by an older QB who led his team to the playoff. Then he got passed by maybe the best QB prospect in the history of CFB, who led maybe the best team of all time to an undefeated national championship. He would have been foolish to stay at Clemson. He chose a great program where he can play up to three years, a program where he had personal familiarity. That’s all we know. Everything else is uninformed speculation. We’ll know soon enough whether Internet tough guys are right that he cracks. I don’t think NU fans should expect him to be a savior, but if he can’t beat out TJ Green, well, we have problems.

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.

Take a hike DBag.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Maybe. But football is the only thing going right in Chicago. The Bears are lined up to compete for a few years. NU has a stud at QB and a new OL coach and undeniable talent in the D. If the WRs don’t get separation and hold the ball, then all fingers point at the WR coach. But NU should contend in the B1G for the next few years too.

Blackhawks and Bulls suck with no salvation in sight. The Sox and the MBB also appear to be incapable of achieving expected success. I wonder which will compete in the post season first. But hey, how about the. Cubs? I could have gotten any north sider to betme the Sox would never be better than Cubs this season. Now Cubs might earn a better draft spot.

Huh?

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.
Wtf is wrong with you? It doesn’t really matter if you are right or wrong, you don’t go on opposition boards to blast ( and that is what is was) a guy that the program is excited about. Doesn’t your Catholic upbringing tell you if you got nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all? Jumping in unprovoked is unnecessary.

Then like a true tool, you jump in are rip the entire team because your feelings got hurt. Nice. Go back to blue and gold or whatever it is called.

Reactions: StreamCat

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.

And it took a poor run fit by an inexpericed corner playing the back side of a read option for you to beat such a “shitty” team.

Pretty high horse there for a guy whose team was 4-8 only a couple years ago and pretty clearly didn’t even belong on the same field as Clemson. I don’t recall you guys exactly kicking the snot out of a 4-8 Ball State team or a 6-7 Vanderbilt team or 7-7 Pitt team or a 5-7 USC team either.

Reactions: freewillie07
I saw Hunter at Brownburg for years & the biggest question about him was his willingness to compete. When he went to Clemson I was happy because I thought that was a clear sign he had conquered that question mark. But locally we heard stories right away that he was already struggling with competition there & looking to leave. Then with a signing of another elite QB he was out the door. According to people here in Indy he never even considered transferring to other major programs, he just wanted a good education & to be able to play right away.
I’m glad he chose Northwestern to get that great education he is looking for. But I think the question marks from HS are still there. So him having to compete to win the job doesn’t surprise me at all. The elite, 5 Star QBs have that edge to them. Hunter lacks that. Same thing happened with Gunner Kiel. He was 5 Star, #1 QB in country. Committed to multiple schools, before transferring out after he wasn’t given the starting job. He didn’t want to compete. Same thing with 5 Star Blake Barnett. Both Kiel & Barnett didn’t want to compete, so decimmitted & transferred...and ended up doing nothing.
So Fitz should make Hunter compete for the job. He needs to earn it.

The bullshit is getting thick.

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.

Okay, you’re a troll. Makes sense now.

Not sure which is worse on this thread - GCG and IGNORE having one of those "I hit you last" contests on the drive to the Grand Canyon, or some poorly disguised ND troll that still thinks they are relevant in the national picture despite continual evidence to the contrary. At least Michigan fans have the sense to see that their emperor has no clothes

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.

TL;DR Northwestern won the Big Ten West.

Watch Hunter in the Elite 11 competition. The guy is a baller. Oh, and by the way, all those other elite QBs said they’d take Hunter if they were starting a franchise.

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.
Guys like you make me ashamed that I cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame.

Somehow, last season felt like it was scripted by some corny Hollywood writer. Against Akron, we were up 21-3 at halftime, and already thinking of resting the starters. Maybe we did. That felt like rock bottom. Then, in our last game, we were down 20-3 at halftime against Utah (11-1 in bowl games under their coach) in the Holiday Bowl, and damn it looked like they would hang 40+ on us. Not only did we shut them out in the second half, we won going away. Who writes plots like this anyway?
George R.R. Martin.

Reactions: kreggk
Ok so I know the ND fan is trolling, but I do think some of what he’s saying is factual even if he’s extrapolating a lot to get to his conclusion. I live in Brownsburg, and have seen Hunter play a ton. He was a stud on the HS field, albeit against mediocre talent. That said, the local hype around him was always odd. For a premier national prospect at such a small town, I was always shocked by the low enthusiasm of local fans. There was a lot of concern when he headed for Clemson that he was out over his skis, and his talent didn’t match his profile.

Take that with a grain of salt. I am not a good evaluator of football talent, and I’m not suggesting that anyone else who stated that opinion is, either. And it doesn’t mean that he won’t be a great success at NU, either. But what the ND troll is saying is actually true, at least with respect to his reputation and the sentiment of those fans who cheered for him here where he grew up.

None of this matters anyway. You’ll know what you have this fall, and I’d rather have Hunter on my sideline than not.

Ok so I know the ND fan is trolling, but I do think some of what he’s saying is factual even if he’s extrapolating a lot to get to his conclusion. I live in Brownsburg, and have seen Hunter play a ton. He was a stud on the HS field, albeit against mediocre talent. That said, the local hype around him was always odd. For a premier national prospect at such a small town, I was always shocked by the low enthusiasm of local fans. There was a lot of concern when he headed for Clemson that he was out over his skis, and his talent didn’t match his profile.

Take that with a grain of salt. I am not a good evaluator of football talent, and I’m not suggesting that anyone else who stated that opinion is, either. And it doesn’t mean that he won’t be a great success at NU, either. But what the ND troll is saying is actually true, at least with respect to his reputation and the sentiment of those fans who cheered for him here where he grew up.

None of this matters anyway. You’ll know what you have this fall, and I’d rather have Hunter on my sideline than not.

It makes no sense. Kid goes to Clemson to compete with the best. He loses the competition to the best true freshman college QB in the country, perhaps one of the best ever, and transfers to another school...so that he can take part in competition in football games.

By the logic posited in this thread, Kelly Bryant is competition-shy. Jalen Hurts. Tate Martell. Baker Mayfield. Malik Zaire. Everett Golson. Dayne Crist.

Or these guys realized that only one QB is gonna play, and the time to take advantage of being able to play is short, so they put themselves in situations where they could go play. Wanting to compete rather than sit on the sideline somehow equals fear of competition.

As the quoted poster says, we'll learn more this fall. But there are about 110 FBS programs around the country that would prefer to have our QB situation as it stands today over the one they currently have.

Compared to other national prospects, Hunter and his family are way more humble and low-key than the rest. Just the way they are; the way he was raised. I’ll take skill and success over hype anyday.

Man, talk about raining on a parade. I would really love to hear something from one of the straight shooters, like GoUNU. So many hopes pinned to this kids jersey...

Not sure which is worse on this thread - GCG and IGNORE having one of those "I hit you last" contests on the drive to the Grand Canyon, or some poorly disguised ND troll that still thinks they are relevant in the national picture despite continual evidence to the contrary. At least Michigan fans have the sense to see that their emperor has no clothes
It does remind me of the kid down the street that I used to get in arguments when I was 5 years old. "NO, You're the poopy, doopy, poopyhead. and a double poopyhead.....!" Just kept going round and round like that. Who wouldda thought I'd get into NU?

Reactions: IGNORE
Compared to other national prospects, Hunter and his family are way more humble and low-key than the rest. Just the way they are; the way he was raised. I’ll take skill and success over hype anyday.
This. It is not like CT or TS were hat dancing attention seekers but I think we are all pretty fond of them now that all is said and done.

Reactions: IGNORE
It didn’t. But my God it was painful.

GOUNUII
We would have been ranked higher if we would have beaten Akron and Duke

Impressive season.
Beat 6-7 Purdue by 4.
Beat by Akron at home.
All that doesn’t matter, the fact is Johnson is his here. He has talent. I am more concerned if the OC can tailor offensive schemes to fit the talent we have and exploit our opponents defense.
I saw Hunter at Brownburg for years & the biggest question about him was his willingness to compete. When he went to Clemson I was happy because I thought that was a clear sign he had conquered that question mark. But locally we heard stories right away that he was already struggling with competition there & looking to leave. Then with a signing of another elite QB he was out the door. According to people here in Indy he never even considered transferring to other major programs, he just wanted a good education & to be able to play right away.
I’m glad he chose Northwestern to get that great education he is looking for. But I think the question marks from HS are still there. So him having to compete to win the job doesn’t surprise me at all. The elite, 5 Star QBs have that edge to them. Hunter lacks that. Same thing happened with Gunner Kiel. He was 5 Star, #1 QB in country. Committed to multiple schools, before transferring out after he wasn’t given the starting job. He didn’t want to compete. Same thing with 5 Star Blake Barnett. Both Kiel & Barnett didn’t want to compete, so decimmitted & transferred...and ended up doing nothing.
So Fitz should make Hunter compete for the job. He needs to earn it.

At this point it doesn’t matter how anyone view Johnson in the past. He is at NU and is family. The young man has talent. Honestly we need to pay close attention to the OC and how he is going to get the best use of the talent we have in house and what’s coming this summer. Offensive schemes and exploiting opponents defense is the key.

Ex: I watched the Rutgers game, their defense knew what we were doing, we were predictable, that is not a knock on our players, I would put that more on our coaches.

It makes no sense. Kid goes to Clemson to compete with the best. He loses the competition to the best true freshman college QB in the country, perhaps one of the best ever, and transfers to another school...so that he can take part in competition in football games.

By the logic posited in this thread, Kelly Bryant is competition-shy. Jalen Hurts. Tate Martell. Baker Mayfield. Malik Zaire. Everett Golson. Dayne Crist.

Or these guys realized that only one QB is gonna play, and the time to take advantage of being able to play is short, so they put themselves in situations where they could go play. Wanting to compete rather than sit on the sideline somehow equals fear of competition.

As the quoted poster says, we'll learn more this fall. But there are about 110 FBS programs around the country that would prefer to have our QB situation as it stands today over the one they currently have.
Well, yes, I agree. It's pretty obvious that his profile to-date (very successful in HS, goes to Clemson, transfers, comes to NU) does not obviously suggest that he lacks a competitive edge. However, at the same time it doesn't guarantee that he has a strong competitive edge. We'll find out on the football field soon enough what we have. We can note this troll's comment and file it away, likely never to be revisited, but hey maybe there's an outside chance there is truth to it. Like you, I'm very happy with our current QB situation.

Wtf is wrong with you? It doesn’t really matter if you are right or wrong, you don’t go on opposition boards to blast ( and that is what is was) a guy that the program is excited about. Doesn’t your Catholic upbringing tell you if you got nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all? Jumping in unprovoked is unnecessary.

Then like a true tool, you jump in are rip the entire team because your feelings got hurt. Nice. Go back to blue and gold or whatever it is called.
Low T

(And a reduced member)

Not sure why anybody would read anything negative into Johnson's Clemson tenure. Coaches there loved him.

All that happened was the best QB prospect in probably 20 years signed up right after him and he had to leave. Says nothing about Johnson's ability to compete.

Somehow, last season felt like it was scripted by some corny Hollywood writer. Against Akron, we were up 21-3 at halftime, and already thinking of resting the starters. Maybe we did. That felt like rock bottom. Then, in our last game, we were down 20-3 at halftime against Utah (11-1 in bowl games under their coach) in the Holiday Bowl, and damn it looked like they would hang 40+ on us. Not only did we shut them out in the second half, we won going away. Who writes plots like this anyway?
Pretty uninspiring movie that ends with a Holiday Bowl championship, but I see where you’re going.

Guys like you make me ashamed that I cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame.

You can fix that StreamCat. No need to experience the shame. I love ND the school. But the football team? Two entirely different things with a connection in name only.

GOUNUII

Reactions: StreamCat
Man, talk about raining on a parade. I would really love to hear something from one of the straight shooters, like GoUNU. So many hopes pinned to this kids jersey...

Here's what I can tell you for sure. NDAFArly is an internet nut job spewing his make-it-up as he goes poison. He knows some things. About a 3rd of what he thinks. But when Rivals gave him some sort of job over at the Notre Dame site promoting their premium board, an already insane person just got worse. Not long ago I was on that board discussing Pyne's official visit to NU and my crystal ball for him to BC. NDAFArly made it ugly ... claiming I knew nothing ... and that he and his people had Pyne's detailed football itinerary. Which for sure involved nothing NU related. You know the type. None of it was true. It wasn't a fair fight. I kicked his ass with the facts.

I am not at all concerned about HJ's HS career. Or his choice of Clemson followed by NU. He's a great kid. He has boatloads of QB ability. Dabo loves him. Fitz loves him. He's ours and we love him. And he's in Evanston because he wants to compete on the field. Where it counts.

GOUNUII

Not sure why anybody would read anything negative into Johnson's Clemson tenure. Coaches there loved him.

All that happened was the best QB prospect in probably 20 years signed up right after him and he had to leave. Says nothing about Johnson's ability to compete.
I really got the feeling that the Clemson coaches told him something like you're too good to ride bench your whole career. Let us help you move along. It would have been a tough conversation but I feel like it was one of integrity. They have no guarantee that their guy will not get injured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT