ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of Lawsuits shows Schill Stupidity

BarefootCat

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2017
Northwestern has 19 varsity sports. Each year, these teams see ~150 first year student-athletes enter the University. Simple math says that over the last 20 years, approximately 3,000 student-athletes have chosen to represent Northwestern.

On an unremarkable summer Saturday night, the nation was breathlessly told by IYI Michael Schill that the Northwestern athletic department has a cultural problem with "hazing".

However, Schill's class-action lawyer friends have shown how idiotic the complaints are. Despite national press, only ~15 individuals have indicated that they were mentally-harmed by the actions of teammates. You know these people: Ramon Diaz, anonymous cheerleader girl, Carl Richardson and his parents Kevin Richardson and Theresa Smith, Lloyd Yates, Simba Short, Tommy Carnifax, John Doe, Jane Doe, John Doe, Jane Doe, etc. Not one person has actually named the individuals who actually harmed them, and many are too cowardly to share their story publicly.

My question: Where are the rest of the complaints? Based on Schill's press releases, shouldn't we expect to see 100's, if not 1000's of lawsuits?

Doesn't the lack of lawsuits show that the problem is, not actual sophomoric stupidity, but that Schill and Gragg have no idea what's going on?

Approximately 15 complainers of 3,000 athletes means that 1 in 200 or 0.005% of student-athletes who have chosen to represent our University have regrets.

That means roughly 199 of every 200 student-athletes to wear the Purple for the last 20 years have shown they loved their time at Northwestern. Maybe we should listen to them.

Last edited:
Northwestern has 19 varsity sports. Each year, these teams see ~150 first year student-athletes enter the University. Simple math says that over the last 20 years, approximately 3,000 student-athletes have chosen to represent Northwestern.

On an unremarkable summer Saturday night, the nation was breathlessly told by IYI Michael Schill that the Northwestern athletic department has a cultural problem with "hazing".

However, Schill's class-action lawyer friends have shown how idiotic the complaints are. Despite national press, only ~15 individuals have indicated that they were mentally-harmed by the actions of teammates. You know these people: Ramon Diaz, anonymous cheerleader girl, Carl Richardson and his parents Kevin Richardson and Theresa Smith, Lloyd Yates, Simba Short, Tommy Carnifax, John Doe, Jane Doe, John Doe, Jane Doe, etc. Not one person has actually named the individuals who actually harmed them, and many are too cowardly to share their story publicly.

My question: Where are the rest of the complaints? Based on Schill's press releases, shouldn't we expect to see 100's, if not 1000's of lawsuits?

Doesn't the lack of lawsuits show that the problem is, not actual sophomoric stupidity, but that Schill and Gragg have no idea what's going on?

Approximately 15 complainers of 3,000 athletes means that 1 in 200 or 0.005% of student-athletes who have chosen to represent our University have regrets.

That means roughly 199 of every 200 student-athletes to wear the Purple for the last 20 years have shown they loved their time at Northwestern. Maybe we should listen to them.
PF hasn’t filed a breach of contract lawsuit either…

Reactions: peatymeanis

Bravo! This entire thing stinks. And the t-shirt people need to get a life. I assume they don't remember when they where in their early 20s.

Reactions: CatFanEd

One could have experienced the hazing, not liked it, but have no interest in dredging up past history, seeking monetary benefit or exposing themselves to the vitriol that has been represented here.

One could have experienced the hazing, not liked it, but have no interest in dredging up past history, seeking monetary benefit or exposing themselves to the vitriol that has been represented here.
Vitriol here is peanuts. Do you watch the news or read the papers? Especially the Chicago papers. NU is lambasted daily by a media that is eager to run with a story that gets clicks because it puts the almighty NU in a horrible light. I have not seen one positive piece regarding NU since this broke. I don’t expect to, but the eagerness to be the first to report any perceived mid-step is prominent in this story. Coming out as being hazed would be praised by a vast portion of the media. Anyone defending NU is the one facing vitriol. How much reporting did you see on Carl’s motivation or Simba’s questionable history of embellishing?

Anyone defending NU is the one facing vitriol. How much reporting did you see on Carl’s motivation or Simba’s questionable history of embellishing?
But, also, you believe that hazing, starting with good-natured whatever back in the 90s in Kenosha, and escalating to something that was both pervasive and sexual in the past decade, happened. Right?

Do you believe that it was Fitz’s job to know if his program had been infected with a culture of hazing of a sexual nature?

I see a lot of poking holes and a lot of misstating people’s opinions from you, but I’m not sure if you agree with the pretty clear facts of the case or not.

And, just for fun, I’ll state my belief again that, had Fitz accepted a reasonable suspension — July through December, say — that he’d have a job today.

Reactions: zanycat and IGNORE2
But, also, you believe that hazing, starting with good-natured whatever back in the 90s in Kenosha, and escalating to something that was both pervasive and sexual in the past decade, happened. Right?

Do you believe that it was Fitz’s job to know if his program had been infected with a culture of hazing of a sexual nature?

I see a lot of poking holes and a lot of misstating people’s opinions from you, but I’m not sure if you agree with the pretty clear facts of the case or not.

And, just for fun, I’ll state my belief again that, had Fitz accepted a reasonable suspension — July through December, say — that he’d have a job today.
Well, I am one of those people that like to see all of the information come out before tearing the guts out of the program and crucifying the man that gave the better part of his life to NU. What you call pretty clear “facts” of the case are in my opinion very much open to further discovery.

My “opinion” runs counter to yours and some others. I believe that there was what we are defining as hazing. However, I also believe that there is extreme embellishment taking place and typical media bias. Once “Dry Humping” was introduced into the situation, NU was guilty before a trial. Yet, I haven’t seen who was a victim of this, who did it, and any proof Fitz knew about it. I also question the motivation of several of the accusers. I question the forced nature of anything. I question people that admit to being part of hazing due to the culture, yet they are now claim severe lifelong damage. Something that you seem to shoot down. Yes I am poking holes, but you seem to take everything out there at unquestioned face value.

You might not like the TShirts some are wearing, but it illustrates what they think of the allegations and guess what they are part of the program. We aren’t.

I could be wrong. Let’s hope all the “facts”come out and we getting a better view of that. I doubt that every happens because NU hasn’t shown the stomach to stand up to the media criticism. Fitz will get paid and so will the plaintiffs. So in the end you and everyone else, including me, will believe what they want believe and we will never know the truth or the “facts”. Fitz said he has no knowledge of these alleged hazing events, and I believe him! The “should have known” is going to prove to be a big obstacle for NU to overcome and I think it is complete BS based on what has been shared.

Well, I am one of those people that like to see all of the information come out before tearing the guts out of the program and crucifying the man that gave the better part of his life to NU. What you call pretty clear “facts” of the case are in my opinion very much open to further discovery.

… …

I could be wrong. Let’s hope all the “facts”come out and we getting a better view of that. I doubt that every happens because NU hasn’t shown the stomach to stand up to the media criticism. Fitz will get paid and so will the plaintiffs. So in the end you and everyone else, including me, will believe what they want believe and we will never know the truth or the “facts”. Fitz said he has no knowledge of these alleged hazing events, and I believe him! The “should have known” is going to prove to be a big obstacle for NU to overcome and I think it is complete BS based on what has been shared.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I agree that it sucks that Fitz’s tenure has ended like this.

Do you think it was Fitz’s job to know if hazing of a sexual nature was pretty well known throughout the program?

I lean on Lou’s reporting, which has been excellent, when I state that the facts are pretty well-established. And Lou, unlike literally anybody else in the media, benefits from good news about and on-field success of the NU program.

@lou v and @mshelton33 have really shined over this miserable month.

WildcatReport has since confirmed with multiple staffers both the “running” of players and “car washes” that the unnamed player described in the Daily Northwestern's story. Running consisted of “a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various ‘Purge-like’ masks” surrounding and “dry humping” a player in the locker room. Car washes referred to players standing naked at the entrance to the showers and spinning around, forcing players entering the showers to rub up against naked men.

None of the staffers could confirm whether Fitzgerald was aware of these practices, but all of them expressed the idea that if they were aware of them, it was difficult to believe that coaches were not. And coaches are mandatory reporters of hazing, opening up a whole new level of culpability.

The detailed nature of the accounts make it difficult to believe that they were fabricated by a disgruntled former player. One football staff member -- not a player or coach -- corroborated the running of players to WildcatReport. The person, who wished to remain anonymous, also said it would be very surprising if Fitzgerald was not aware of the practice because it was common knowledge within the program.

“It wasn’t a secret,” the source said.

Reactions: zanycat
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I agree that it sucks that Fitz’s tenure has ended like this.

Do you think it was Fitz’s job to know if hazing of a sexual nature was pretty well known throughout the program?

I lean on Lou’s reporting, which has been excellent, when I state that the facts are pretty well-established. And Lou, unlike literally anybody else in the media, benefits from good news about and on-field success of the NU program.

@lou v and @mshelton33 have really shined over this miserable month.

WildcatReport has since confirmed with multiple staffers both the “running” of players and “car washes” that the unnamed player described in the Daily Northwestern's story. Running consisted of “a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various ‘Purge-like’ masks” surrounding and “dry humping” a player in the locker room. Car washes referred to players standing naked at the entrance to the showers and spinning around, forcing players entering the showers to rub up against naked men.

None of the staffers could confirm whether Fitzgerald was aware of these practices, but all of them expressed the idea that if they were aware of them, it was difficult to believe that coaches were not. And coaches are mandatory reporters of hazing, opening up a whole new level of culpability.

The detailed nature of the accounts make it difficult to believe that they were fabricated by a disgruntled former player. One football staff member -- not a player or coach -- corroborated the running of players to WildcatReport. The person, who wished to remain anonymous, also said it would be very surprising if Fitzgerald was not aware of the practice because it was common knowledge within the program.

“It wasn’t a secret,” the source said.
Let’s let the details work it’s way out. Again, I don’t claim nothing happened. I am not convinced of the timeframe or the extent of the malfeasance. I am not questioning Lou’s reporting, but there sure are a lot of anonymous sources and people referred to as staffers. I know a few former players from the time period at the beginning of the claims that say this is big time embellished. Is this something that happened primarily in the more recent times? I have heard third hand of folks connected with recent players that say this way exaggerated and there is no way Fitz knew of anything at all. So Lou’s source of this wasn’t a secret doesn’t necessarily imply to me that the people that needed to know to put a stop to it knew. The reporting on this ( not Lou) paints a picture of a bunch of perverts butt ****ing a bunch of bullied kids. Sorry, to be so graphic, but that just seems far fetched to me.

Reactions: No Chores
Let’s let the details work it’s way out. Again, I don’t claim nothing happened. I am not convinced of the timeframe or the extent of the malfeasance. I am not questioning Lou’s reporting, but there sure are a lot of anonymous sources and people referred to as staffers. I know a few former players from the time period at the beginning of the claims that say this is big time embellished. Is this something that happened primarily in the more recent times? I have heard third hand of folks connected with recent players that say this way exaggerated and there is no way Fitz knew of anything at all. So Lou’s source of this wasn’t a secret doesn’t necessarily imply to me that the people that needed to know to put a stop to it knew. The reporting on this ( not Lou) paints a picture of a bunch of perverts butt ****ing a bunch of bullied kids. Sorry, to be so graphic, but that just seems far fetched to me.
I’d say ‘d*ck-whacking’ more than ‘butt-f*cking’.

Thanks again for the thoughtful response.

You have not addressed the ‘was it his job to know’ part, so I will draw my own conclusions.

I’d say ‘d*ck-whacking’ more than ‘butt-f*cking’.

Thanks again for the thoughtful response.

You have not addressed the ‘was it his job to know’ part, so I will draw my own conclusions.
Your question of whether Fitz should of known is difficult to answer because I believe we are still in the discovery stage. I do believe the College Coaches have never been a large presence in locker rooms. I doubt Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, or any other HC strolls through the locker room for small talk. We have contradicting information and every bit of it is based on conjecture. Some same it wasn’t a “secret” and others say if he knew he would have stopped it. What we know so far is not a single accuser, staffer, former player, or candlestick maker has proved any evidence the Fitz either witnessed this behavior or was notified of its existence.

Everyone from Schill, to Fitz, to perpetrating players, to staff is in hyper CYA mode on this. That void of info gets filled with a lot of static. I think Lou’s reporting is to be trusted over a lot of others as I trust his intention for the well being of NU’s football program more than The Daily or Chicago / national rags.

Hazing doesn’t need to have penetration to be sexual in nature especially if nudity was involved. If nothing else it was domineering and not good natured in intention and I’d say some of it sound pretty perverse. You keep your eyes to yourself in a locker room / shower so anything approaching physical is totally inappropriate. Otherwise some Jim Jordan action is going down.

What’s so hard to believe that some of those people above will lie to cover up and save their reputations and future prospects if it’s so easy to believe that a J.Doe or named victims are lying or embellishing?

The truth is probably somewhere in between, but with zero tolerance and Fitz being the football CEO, he sure held a lot of responsibility and regulations that he seems to have taken seriously but not really enforced. Same with Gragg. Probably same with some of the assistant coaches. Athletic department and football team still needs a high colonic.

PF hasn’t filed a breach of contract lawsuit either…
Got to get your ducks in a row before you do. I would imagine that that cannot even be done until terms of severance are laid out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT