ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of speed on offense is a problem

I noticed Jefferson The Freshman was in there quite a bit running down field but Duke was there with him stride for stride

Reactions: corbi296
This... sounds....strangely....familiar

Even guys with supposed wheels like Jefferson don't get any real separation
Separation is sometimes about quickness more than speed. We really lack Power5 level quickness. Our WRs never seem to make quick juke moves. Everything is in slow motion.

This is a recruiting problem. Hopefully franks is the start of some dominant O-lineman. We need to let our O-line coach go. He has proven that this is a job he can’t handle. I’m not convinced that Springer is any great shakes. Maybe Jacob Jefferson can develop into a deep threat. We will see

Reactions: IGNORE2
We just don’t have anyone on offense who can threaten a defense. Duke didn’t have to do anything uncomfortable on defense.

I don’t disagree but who did we have last year who could do that. To me the difference is once again the early season play and regression of OL.

Reactions: ricko654321
Cushing= sucks= should be fired ASAP. Re-hired perhaps conditionally as a pre-K pop Warner coach

I don’t disagree but who did we have last year who could do that. To me the difference is once again the early season play and regression of OL.

We didn’t have anyone who could do that last year. Probably should have said “still” a problem.

We didn’t have anyone who could do that last year. Probably should have said “still” a problem.
Jefferson is quick, not fast, but I watched him and nothing he did was "quick". All receivers whenever they had the ball thrown to them always had a defender on their back...ALWAYS!! That's not a speed problem, it's a quickness problem coupled with route running. sitting in the stands was as frustrating a day as could be had.

Reactions: ricko654321
Jefferson is quick, not fast, but I watched him and nothing he did was "quick". All receivers whenever they had the ball thrown to them always had a defender on their back...ALWAYS!! That's not a speed problem, it's a quickness problem coupled with route running. sitting in the stands was as frustrating a day as could be had.

JJ got behind defense several times. He’s fast we just overthrew him and dropped one that would have been a great catch.

The OL coaching is only part of the problem. I actually think they blocked decently today, even with the injuries.

Twice in the first half our WRs were clearly interfered with (we got away with an interference in the second half that made up for half of it). Instead of making football moves to demonstrate the holding or working the refs, our receivers regularly & passively accept their arms behind held back by opposing DBs. It won’t matter how quick or fast our WRs are if they’re coached to let Power 5 DBs work them, as has been the case for years.

McCall’s gameplans have been stale for a while now. If he is the one calling for the two QB rotation - which has killed the offensive momentum in both games - and he keeps letting that happen, it’s time for him to hang his clipboard up.

If we play as poorly as we did on offense the next 10 games, we’re in for an ugly losing season. We’ll be overdue for an offensive coaching staff makeover if so.

The OL coaching is only part of the problem. I actually think they blocked decently today, even with the injuries.

Twice in the first half our WRs were clearly interfered with (we got away with an interference in the second half that made up for half of it). Instead of making football moves to demonstrate the holding or working the refs, our receivers regularly & passively accept their arms behind held back by opposing DBs. It won’t matter how quick or fast our WRs are if they’re coached to let Power 5 DBs work them, as has been the case for years.

McCall’s gameplans have been stale for a while now. If he is the one calling for the two QB rotation - which has killed the offensive momentum in both games - and he keeps letting that happen, it’s time for him to hang his clipboard up.

If we play as poorly as we did on offense the next 10 games, we’re in for an ugly losing season. We’ll be overdue for an offensive coaching staff makeover if so.

I was at at the game and focused on the OL the whole game. They were bad from the get go. The two tackles went out to mid to late third quarter and that had really little bearing on the overall performance of the unit. I can't remember more than a couple clean pockets all day. Thorson was pressured, flushed, or sacked on almost pass play. This is not the caliber of play we saw late last year from the OL and once again is the key difference in the team's overall success.

As far as your comments on the supposed pass interference, there was none. The play in the first half you are probably referencing is the pass to Skowronek down the right sideline. The play happened right in front of where I was sitting. If you watch closely it was Skowronek that was using his off arm to fend off the defender rather than the defender holding Skowronek's arm. That's not pass interference and besides the pass was uncatchable as it was overthrown by at least three yards. Let's not sound like the Purdue fans from last week. The refs did not impact this game at all.

Reactions: docrugby1
Yeah, it’s all that Cushing guy’s fault that the wide receivers don’t have great speed. Dang!

We just won 9 games in a row before this loss.

Duke matches up well with and exploits the biggest 2 weaknesses on this team: WR and OL.

But those have been the weakest units on the team for years, and in the Big Ten there aren't that many teams that can exploit those weaknesses to the extent Duke can.

I'm more optimistic about the Michigan game than I was this Duke game.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
We should be able to find a WR who is quick. Maybe Jefferson will develop into that guy or Jalen Brown perhaps but are lack of a quick athlete is alarming on the offensive side of the ball. The OL has been a problem for years and Fitz is tone deaf to any changes that may better the production of that unit. Maybe even putting in the guy from Arkansas that is on the staff would change things but Fitz won’t do it because he is blinded by loyalty. He wants championships but is not willing to do the things to help attain them

Watching the Neb Colorado game, my goodness can you imagine what it would be like to have one WR like Shenault or Spielman? It would probably be another 100 yards of offense and 2 TDS per game for Thorson.
For next year we need to get either a phenom true frosh WR who is ready from day 1, a grad transfer or a Juco who can qualify. We can coach up the route running and whatnot by really need speed and size for those big catches. Vault got some separation but he was too small a target and mused a couple due to limited catch radius.

Watching the Neb Colorado game, my goodness can you imagine what it would be like to have one WR like Shenault or Spielman? It would probably be another 100 yards of offense and 2 TDS per game for Thorson.
For next year we need to get either a phenom true frosh WR who is ready from day 1, a grad transfer or a Juco who can qualify. We can coach up the route running and whatnot by really need speed and size for those big catches. Vault got some separation but he was too small a target and mused a couple due to limited catch radius.

Any other football cliches that you’d like to shoehorn in there?

Any other football cliches that you’d like to shoehorn in there?

Cliche or not, do do you really think it’s untrue? You think we have as much size and speed at WR as the other teams? Then why with an NFL QB and ample time to throw do we not have production from the WRs?

Cliche or not, do do you really think it’s untrue? You think we have as much size and speed at WR as the other teams? Then why with an NFL QB and ample time to throw do we not have production from the WRs?

Where was the “ample time to throw?”

Reactions: drewjin

Ample time? Honestly, we must have watched two different games. I saw havoc in our backfield pretty much on every dropback.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT