ADVERTISEMENT

Lead Guard Post Lathon

gmc1130

Jan 14, 2010
Evanston
With the unlikelihood of being able to get a starter quality PG/LG at this point, does Ryan Taylor slide down to the starting lead guard position? New lineup:

PG - Taylor
Wings - Law, Turner
Bigs - Pardon, Nance

Thoughts?

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

Yep, me too. The only way I see an under is with multiple, substantial injuries.

With Lathon & Mooney, was thinking 20-23 wins.
With Lathon, was thinking 17-20 wins.
With neither, am thinking 14-17 wins.

Ryan Taylor is going to have a ton on his plate...

With the unlikelihood of being able to get a starter quality PG/LG at this point, does Ryan Taylor slide down to the starting lead guard position? New lineup:

PG - Taylor
Wings - Law, Turner
Bigs - Pardon, Nance

Thoughts?

Assuming no additional graduate transfers and healthy (and that Taylor has a somewhat decent handle), I think your line up would be preferred.

Perhaps, a possible minute breakdown might look something like this?

LG - Taylor (25-30), Ash (10-15)
W - Law (25-30), Gaines (15-20)
W - Turner (20-25), Kopp (5-10), Taylor (0-5)
Big/Stretch - Nance (20-25), Falzon (10-15), Law (0-5), Pardon (0-5)
Big - Pardon (25-30), Benson (5-10), Young (0-5)

Taylor described his game this way in the stories about his transfer:

“I’m pretty good coming off of screens, moving without the ball. I’m very unselfish and like to share the ball. I see myself as a really good shooter; I can shoot it from behind the 3 line with midrange and floaters, a little bit of everything.”

Unfortunately, this doesn't sound like a lead guard.

Taylor was not a point guard last year....he was the designated scorer.

Thinking about what Lathon could potentially contribute this coming season....he might have helped with running the offense and contributing dribble-drive penetration. That is best case.

No doubt NU needs more guys with a handle and that alpha mentality to drive the train. Difficult to find the latter in a frosh.

NU probably has enough mobile, good with the ball guys with experience to handle breaking full court pressure. That is more about spacing, moving to the open space, demonstrating patience, and passing.

Running the offense probably wasn't going to be solved by Lathon...but he could have helped.

NU would have given up something on defense if it meant having Lathon on the court and either Gaines or Ash sitting.

I think the bigger issue is in year two when Lathon could have blossomed and really had an impact. NU is now two years away from that, assuming we can get a lead guard.

I don't know that this changes the win total. We just don't have that data today to project that. If the staff is able to patch it together it could make no difference and then fill the gap the year after with a transfer.

A lot of talent on the team. A lot of guys with multiple years in the system. Proven scorers at the D1 level with Law and Taylor...and even Turner. In your face perimeter defenders with Gaines and Ash. Center may be the strongest position. And two potential gems in Kopp and Nance.

It's a chemistry thing. If this team has it they can game out any problem and get into the 20 wins realm. If they don't, it can look like this past year.

I think the team will be ok. I'm more worried about the year after and the fact that NU has six roster spots to fill which may be the most in Collins' tenure.

Thinking about what Lathon could potentially contribute this coming season....he might have helped with running the offense and contributing dribble-drive penetration. That is best case.

No doubt NU needs more guys with a handle and that alpha mentality to drive the train. Difficult to find the latter in a frosh.

NU probably has enough mobile, good with the ball guys with experience to handle breaking full court pressure. That is more about spacing, moving to the open space, demonstrating patience, and passing.

Running the offense probably wasn't going to be solved by Lathon...but he could have helped.

NU would have given up something on defense if it meant having Lathon on the court and either Gaines or Ash sitting.

I think the bigger issue is in year two when Lathon could have blossomed and really had an impact. NU is now two years away from that, assuming we can get a lead guard.

I don't know that this changes the win total. We just don't have that data today to project that. If the staff is able to patch it together it could make no difference and then fill the gap the year after with a transfer.

A lot of talent on the team. A lot of guys with multiple years in the system. Proven scorers at the D1 level with Law and Taylor...and even Turner. In your face perimeter defenders with Gaines and Ash. Center may be the strongest position. And two potential gems in Kopp and Nance.

It's a chemistry thing. If this team has it they can game out any problem and get into the 20 wins realm. If they don't, it can look like this past year.

I think the team will be ok. I'm more worried about the year after and the fact that NU has six roster spots to fill which may be the most in Collins' tenure.

Don’t sleep on A. Gaines stepping up to fill the void.

GOUNUII

Reactions: hdhntr1
I'm more worried about the year after and the fact that NU has six roster spots to fill which may be the most in Collins' tenure.

Because of Vassar and season-long injuries, CCC has seldom been able to play with a full roster. I really like the recruiting CCC manages, all seem really promising players and the ratings are getting better, but even after all this time, NU has key vacancies on the roster. Here's hoping NU can find a couple more strong players.

It's concerning that six slots will need to be filled. A good season and performance by Kopp and Nance can really help with that, especially in pulling in a grad transfer.

Uggh..... this is program crushing. I really felt like Lathon might have been the single most important recruit in NU history. An athletic point guard with some size and a killer attitude? We've never had that. i really felt like he was going to be that transformative star. Simply crushing.

Uggh..... this is program crushing. I really felt like Lathon might have been the single most important recruit in NU history. An athletic point guard with some size and a killer attitude? We've never had that. i really felt like he was going to be that transformative star. Simply crushing.
I agree. Horrible news.

Uggh..... this is program crushing. .
I don't think it is program crushing. But 2018-19 will be a REAL challenge. With the new WRA and top drawer practice facilities Collins should be able to get a LG in 2019. He'll have some good pieces to build around assuming no one transfers.

PG - Taylor
Wings - Law, Turner
Bigs - Pardon, Nance

Thoughts?

Really hope Law is ready to play and at a high level when the season begins.

Taylor described his game this way in the stories about his transfer:

“I’m pretty good coming off of screens, moving without the ball. I’m very unselfish and like to share the ball. I see myself as a really good shooter; I can shoot it from behind the 3 line with midrange and floaters, a little bit of everything.”

Unfortunately, this doesn't sound like a lead guard.

Sounds like starting at PG, Jonathon Ash, or square peg, round hole, yet again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT