ADVERTISEMENT

Leota transferring ... biggest blow yet imo

When I saw that Malik Washington was transferring, I thought maybe McGowan was coming back for another year - leaving Washington stuck behind him for the WR/RB combo spot. I was way wrong.

With both of them gone, who will fill that spot?

When I saw that Malik Washington was transferring, I thought maybe McGowan was coming back for another year - leaving Washington stuck behind him for the WR/RB combo spot. I was way wrong.

With both of them gone, who will fill that spot?

Calvin Johnson II

I admire the commitment these players made to the program, particularly this year. I thank them for their effort and wish them well. I assume they have good reasons for their decisions. They contributed to an excellent season. Next man up!

On the flip side, Auburn may not actually have their entire team return (believe they're supposedly home through the 26th, then will apparently have some COVID tests and a couple practices before the bowl game?). Doubt anyone on The Plains ever thought they'd be turned down by Billy Napier in favor of sticking around Louisiana-Lafayette.

Gonna be a weird matchup for the Citrus Bowl.
Got turned down today by Bill Clark, too.

Budding star DL Eko Leota has/had the greatest potential of all 'Cat DL to have a break-out season next fall and I feel that the "collegiate equivalent of free agency" has gotten into Eku's mindset in an effort to improve his aspirations towards fulfilling his NFL draft dreams. IMHO, the Leota situation is very similar to the WR Ben Skowronek scenario where Ben realized his increased marketability to garner interest from a perennial power football program, after a stellar 2019 season @ NU. In Ben's case, it was interest shown by the Noted Dames, a program that had positioned itself to be among those with a great(er) chance at a NCAA Division 1A national championship in the upcoming 2020 season, and who had pursued him as a prime recruiting target out of H.S. The major difference between these 2 playmakers is that Skowronek was a graduate transfer with a proven track record for making the big impact play while Leota currently is an underclassman playmaking DL with a huge upside for substantial field play improvement over the next 2 seasons. Then again, one must not overlook the impact of the retirement of soon-to-be-legendary DC Doc Hankwitz on Leota's decision to enter the transfer portal. I'd bet big $$$ that Eku transfers to an ACC or SEC power football program like the Noted Dames (mimicking Ben Skowronek's transfer route - my personal No. 1 prediction) or a North Carolina, Georgia, Fla State or Miami of Fla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Budding star DL Eko Leota has/had the greatest potential of all 'Cat DL to have a break-out season next fall and I feel that the "collegiate equivalent of free agency" has gotten into Eku's mindset to improve his aspirations towards fulfilling his NFL draft potential. IMHO, the Leota situation is very similar to the WR Ben Skowronek scenario where Ben realized his increased marketability to garner interest from traditional power football programs after a stellar 2019 season. In Ben's case, it was interest shown by the Noted Dames, a program that had positioned itself to be among those with a great chance at a NCAA Division 1A national championship in the upcoming 2020 season, and who had pursued him as a prime recruiting target out of H.S. The major difference in these 2 playmakers is that Skowronek was a graduate transfer with a proven track record for making the big impact play while Leota currently is an underclassman playmaking DL with a huge upside for substantial field play improvement over the next 2 seasons. Then again, one must not overlook the impact of the retirement of soon-to-be-legendary DC Doc Hankwitz on Leota's decision to enter the transfer portal. I'd bet big $$$ that Eku transfers to an ACC or SEC power football program like the Noted Dames (my No. 1 prediction) or a North Carolina, Georgia, Fla State or Miami of Fla.

I think you are reading too much into this. Every situation is different. There is no point in speculating as only people within the program know the real reasoning behind the decision.

If I had to bet a lot of these guys are transferring to be closer to their girlfriends/families.

Would Leota as a non graduate have to sit out a year if he transfers?

I'd bet big $$$ that Eku transfers to an ACC or SEC power football program like the Noted Dames (my No. 1 prediction) or a North Carolina, Georgia, Fla State or Miami of Fla.
This would bother me, and I hope it isn't true. If Eku is transferring because of homesickness and being tired of Chicago winters, I get it. If is transferring because he wants to play for a perceived "bigger" program like ND, that is not closer to home or in the south, that would be terrible, and I doubt that is the case. If Eku dreams of the NFL, playing for NU as a defensive lineman is a proven path. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Would Leota as a non graduate have to sit out a year if he transfers?
Grad transfer is sort of irrelevant this year anyway. The new transfer rule goes into effect in a few weeks that allows anyone to transfer without a sit out period. So you’ll be seeing massive roster turnover everywhere very soon.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
This year has probably been brutal on kids from outside the Midwest. Lack of normal school environment; not seeing parents/family much if at all, etc. has probably taken a huge psychological toll.

Makes the accomplishments this team has had all the more impressive.

I think we're likely to see a lot of kids rethink going to schools >300 miles away from their homes. A lot of kids from states far away from their schools may transfer this offseason to be close to home.
But next season might be closer to something "normal" with the vaccine expected to be widely available by summer. So to assume it will be a repeat of 2020 as far as restrictions could be a mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT