ADVERTISEMENT

Let's play the minutes game

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Because what else do we have to do?

I think Collins will try to play as many guys as he can. Biggest challenge is no BMac, so the Lead Guard position will be a bit tricky (or nonexistent). Here's how I think it shakes out.

Minutes (200 total)
Law: 33
Taylor: 33
Pardon: 30
Gaines: 26
Turner: 25
Falzon: 13
Benson: 10
Kopp: 9
Nance: 8
Ash: 8
Greer: 5
Young: N/A

I think Collins will try to play as many guys as he can. Biggest challenge is no BMac, so the Lead Guard position will be a bit tricky (or nonexistent). Here's how I think it shakes out.

Minutes (200 total)
I think Kopp gets more minutes than Falzon. Can't argue with the rest of your predictions.

Minutes (200 total)
R u kidding me? Gaines shot .20 last year while Ash was even with BMac from the field,while better at defense and less takeaways. No way does Gaines start over Ash!

I think Kopp gets more minutes than Falzon. Can't argue with the rest of your predictions.

You watched him play this summer so I trust your judgment. Still, would be disappointing for a fourth-year player who started as a freshman get passed over like that.

You watched him play this summer so I trust your judgment. Still, would be disappointing for a fourth-year player who started as a freshman get passed over like that.
I think Aaron's injury continues to affect him. And Miller just looks like the better all around player based on his his videos. Quicker, stronger, played against better competition. Will be nice to have both guys competing for playing time.

Minutes (200 total)

By B1G season:
Gaines 20
Taylor 25
Law 30
Nance 20
Pardon 30

Kopp 25
Turner 20
Benson 20

Ash 5
Falzon 5

No Greer or Young

Question: does the new redshirt rule apply to BB too? Can CCC play young and greer for a handful of games without burning a shirt?

By B1G season:
Gaines 20
Taylor 25
Law 30
Nance 20
Pardon 30

Kopp 25
Turner 20
Benson 20

Ash 5
Falzon 5

No Greer or Young

Question: does the new redshirt rule apply to BB too? Can CCC play young and greer for a handful of games without burning a shirt?

There's no way Greer graduated early from high school to not play as a freshman. NU needs a point guard-type player. I think he'll get limited work but if he shows he can hang at the college level, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more minutes than Ash by the end of the season.

Reactions: No Chores
By B1G season:
Gaines 20
Taylor 25
Law 30
Nance 20
Pardon 30

Kopp 25
Turner 20
Benson 20

Ash 5
Falzon 5

No Greer or Young

Redshirt applies to basketball also

The new redshirt rule applies only to Division I football rules. Stop making things up. Anyone who knows basketball knows that Anthony Gaines has more basketball talent than your beloved and was in the starting lineup when Macintosh was injured. If you give him a whole off season to work on his ball handling and skills, his ceiling is way higher than your beloved.

The new redshirt rule applies only to Division I football rules. Stop making things up. Anyone who knows basketball knows that Anthony Gaines has more basketball talent than your beloved and was in the starting lineup when Macintosh was injured. If you give him a whole off season to work on his ball handling and skills, his ceiling is way higher than your beloved.

There are only three players on the roster with "decent point guard handles": Greer, Malnati and Ash. And Ash might be a bit of stretch.

I did not see enough of Gaines handling the ball last year to assess that he has a PG handle. I hope that he does.

I cannot remember ever someone who did not have a decent handle in high school developing that handle after they entered college.

It could be that guys like Turner, Taylor and Kopp are good with the ball and don't turn the ball over. I think we need to expect a lot more turnovers from the guards this year and that will need to be offset in other areas of the game such as improved defense that generates more turnovers for NU and more efficient post play and better shooting.

There are only three players on the roster with "decent point guard handles": Greer, Malnati and Ash. And Ash might be a bit of stretch.

I did not see enough of Gaines handling the ball last year to assess that he has a PG handle. I hope that he does.

I cannot remember ever someone who did not have a decent handle in high school developing that handle after they entered college.

It could be that guys like Turner, Taylor and Kopp are good with the ball and don't turn the ball over. I think we need to expect a lot more turnovers from the guards this year and that will need to be offset in other areas of the game such as improved defense that generates more turnovers for NU and more efficient post play and better shooting.

Agree, Gaines does not have the prototypical handles of a point guard, and might never have them. Still, it’s the situation NU finds itself in without Lathon. Hopefully he was already working on that in the offseason with the expectation that he’d be a primary ballhandler when Lathon was off the floor.

Last year he was one of the few players who was able to aggressively and reliably slash to the basket. Seemed to have a faster first step than Law or Lindsey.

I think we should expect to see Gaines/Law/Taylor bring the ball up mostly interchangeably. It’ll make for a potentially great man-to-man defensive squad.

We are razor thin at pint guard. Teams are gonna press us all day. Can’t see us beating Michigan without Greer or Ash in the backcourt. Just saying

Anyone want to guess who Walkee is inartfully attacking? Cannot be me - apparently I know basketball (per Walkee's threshold) as I have Gaines starting. Geez, and here I thought this tool had finally been shipped off to boarding school and stripped of access to the internet. One can still hope...

Anyone want to guess who Walkee is inartfully attacking? Cannot be me - apparently I know basketball (per Walkee's threshold) as I have Gaines starting. Geez, and here I thought this tool had finally been shipped off to boarding school and stripped of access to the internet. One can still hope...
He was addressing wrassler. The redshirt comment is unrelated to the rest of his rant.

R u kidding me? Gaines shot .20 last year while Ash was even with BMac from the field,while better at defense and less takeaways. No way does Gaines start over Ash!

Ash had the lowest rate of turnovers per starter. Only 13 all of last year. That is one every two games. Ash had 13 turnovers and Mac had 74! Mac played in just four more games. 25 games for Ash. 29 for Mac. So Mac had turned the ball over three times per game, while Ash did it once every other game. Six times less likely for Ash to turn the ball over. Am I missing something? I was an Economic major at NU! No spring chicken here.

Ash had the lowest rate of turnovers per starter. Only 13 all of last year. That is one every two games. Ash had 13 turnovers and Mac had 74! Mac played in just four more games. 25 games for Ash. 29 for Mac. So Mac had turned the ball over three times per game, while Ash did it once every other game. Six times less likely for Ash to turn the ball over. Am I missing something? I was an Economic major at NU! No spring chicken here.
You are missing the fact that BMac >>> JA.

"Stats are for losers".

There's no way Greer graduated early from high school to not play as a freshman. NU needs a point guard-type player. I think he'll get limited work but if he shows he can hang at the college level, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more minutes than Ash by the end of the season.
Agree on Greer. he will get a lot more minutes then ash and will likely get about half of the LG minutes by the conference games. The problem I see, at least early on is NU breaking the press and getting the ball up the floor. After that the Collins 5 man ballhandling offense will take over..

Reactions: IGNORE2
Backward Bobby strikes again. How about that Isaac Hawes being a first rounder? LOL.

Gaines is a combo guard and so is Ash. If the choice is between the two, I would takes Gaines as he is a much more gifted athlete. If you can’t figure out that Gaines has a higher ceiling than Ash than basketball acumen is poor at best.

As for bringing the ball up, if Ash can improve his handle from year 1 to year 2 then Gaines sure can. Law does not have a good handle. It will be Greer, Ash and Gaines playing the lead guard. And I would take Gaines over Ash based on athletic ability and the fact that Gaines can dribble and drive while Ash can not. Taylor might see some minutes at the lead guard also. You beat the press with passing and not trying to dribble through it and I am hoping that NU has enough skilled players to do that. We do know that Gaines can be a lock down defender based on his quickness, strength, size and jumping ability. The coaching staff gave Gaines extended minutes at the end of the season due to injuries, but also what the staff saw in practice and during games. I see a further progression in his sophomore season.

Minutes (200 total)

You need to get a subscription to the Rock. This post is very much on target.

Backward Bobby strikes again. How about that Isaac Hawes being a first rounder? LOL.

Well, first I said I like Haas more than Swamy for the NBA. Good news: Haas has a team so let’s see how this plays out. If I remember correctly, your boy Swany made a mediocre development league player and a bust of a first round pick.

I will be rooting for some Mormon Utah b-ball this year. Then we can talk. Gotta love this stubborn tool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT