ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
The Lewis guys can really shoot the 3 ball. As a team, they are averaging 42.5% and making almost 7 a game. Their leading scorer, Delaney Blaylock, a 6'5" G/F, has hit 59 of 114 3's in 10 games (52%!). I don't care if you're playing against air, 52% from 3 is pretty good. They played Loyola (Chicago) close in an exhibition game so won't be intimidated by playing NU.

Not going to renew my BTN60 subscription for this game, really uninteresting match-up. I bet there will be fewer than 700 butts in the seats in Rosemont.

Here is a link to the Lewis web page for stats and roster info.

http://www.lewisflyers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2017

The Lewis guys can really shoot the 3 ball. As a team, they are averaging 42.5% and making almost 7 a game. Their leading scorer, Delaney Blaylock, a 6'5" G/F, has hit 59 of 114 3's in 10 games (52%!). I don't care if you're playing against air, 52% from 3 is pretty good. They played Loyola (Chicago) close in an exhibition game so won't be intimidated by playing NU.

Not going to renew my BTN60 subscription for this game, really uninteresting match-up. I bet there will be fewer than 700 butts in the seats in Rosemont.

They play tonight out in Michigan...so that won't be easy for them coming off no days of rest and having to travel. We need to make a Chicago State-like statement.

I'm looking forward to it because it's fun watching my favorite team win, regardless of who they're playing. Hoping to see some Charlie and Tino shots!

Didn't UW-Milwaukee just beat up on Loyola-chicago this past weekend? I don't think Loy-chi is as good as so many people are making them out to be. They beat Fla, but I think we would beat Loyola.

We just saw what one of their ex players could do from 3

Yeah...a loss to NU is completely insignificant to them, but that $ is nice!
Does anyone have an educated guess as to what a school like Lewis gets for making a trip a D-I team? I'm just curious what kind of $ we're talking about.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to what a school like Lewis gets for making a trip a D-I team? I'm just curious what kind of $ we're talking about.
Here is an article to read. One small school, Bethune-Cookman, gets $75-80,000 plus expenses:
"For bigger schools, the going rate (for guarantee games) is about $80,000, plus hotel and transportation while you're there," Craig said. "Stanford is paying us 75 or 80. We called them up and added them late, since we were already going to be out there and we needed one more guarantee game. The bigger schools are always looking. The big schools have money to give. They usually go out and buy three or four games."

http://www.amateursports365.com/articles/CollegeGuaranteeGames.html

Reactions: Artie M.
Thanks, Fitzphile, that was an interesting read. I had noticed that KenPom's #1 most difficult schedule to date this year was played by Texas Southern, who is opening with 13 straight road games (they're 0-11 now, and counting). While I suppose it's good to see some of the power-conference money trickling down to the lowest tier of D1 basketball, it's got to be demoralizing to start off your season 0-13.

OTOH, KenPom currently projects them to go 14-4 in the SWAC this year, so with a little luck they may crack .500 before it's over.

I remember when I was a student manager for a mid-major school back in the day (presently in the Horizon League), we brought Prairie View A&M in for a game. I don't know what they were paid, but I know we had to provide 2 University Vans for their transportation while they were in town as well as their per diem. Their coach asked me and the other manager who drove the vans over to their team hotel if there was a Shoney's in town for them to eat at...there wasn't.

FWIW, Lewis lost by nearly 30 points at Ferris State Monday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT