ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln will be doing a Blackout...........

I havnt even heard that personally. Blackouts in Lincoln will never work (not for many many years anyways). The traditionalists don't see it as a school color and refuse to wear it. We tried to do it a couple years ago and it turned out 70 red to 30 black. Student sections pulls it off pretty well though.

I havnt even heard that personally. Blackouts in Lincoln will never work (not for many many years anyways). The traditionalists don't see it as a school color and refuse to wear it. We tried to do it a couple years ago and it turned out 70 red to 30 black. Student sections pulls it off pretty well though.
Nebraska is a Sea of Red, and that's the end of the discussion IMO. Anything else is lame and an attempt to be trendy.

Well........Please tell that to my Nebraskan Sister-in-Law. Both her brother and I have attempted with no success. It's a no win situation, if you know what I mean? ;):D

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210433389

The MatchupNebraska returns home on Saturday and the Huskers continue their run of Big Ten West division opponents. The Huskers will take on Northwestern at Memorial Stadium in an 11 a.m. contest that will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

(Maybe my Sister-in-Law considers the team wearing Black, a Blackout? I don't)

Saturday's game will also feature a reunion of Nebraska's 1995 national championship team at Memorial Stadium. Nebraska will wear alternate Husker Bold uniforms for Saturday's game. The uniforms are centered around a bold, black colorway and feature red metallic number

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210433389

The MatchupNebraska returns home on Saturday and the Huskers continue their run of Big Ten West division opponents. The Huskers will take on Northwestern at Memorial Stadium in an 11 a.m. contest that will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

(Maybe my Sister-in-Law considers the team wearing Black, a Blackout? I don't)

Saturday's game will also feature a reunion of Nebraska's 1995 national championship team at Memorial Stadium. Nebraska will wear alternate Husker Bold uniforms for Saturday's game. The uniforms are centered around a bold, black colorway and feature red metallic number

Yeah if the University isnt sponsoring the blackout, it has no chance. If there was a blackout it would be a huge media campaign in Lincoln. At any rate, this game is going to be awesome and competitive game. Probably the last fair weather game of the year.

Edit* Again IMO the blackout would not work anyways. ;)

I just hope Nebraska's 20 year National Championship reunion week is as successful for their football team as our 20 year Rose Bowl reunion week was for ours...

Reactions: Cardiacagoan
So many potential one liners...

Either way that's lame.
I think it is great. They have sold out for over 340 consecutive games and have great fan support. It means a lot to their players I am sure to see a stadium full of supporters. They have had 80k fans at a spring game at Memorial Stadium. More than 500,000 fans have in the last 8 years flocked to watch Nebraska's last spring practice. That kind of fan support isn't lame.

Last edited:
This would be a good time for us to get as many people into their stadium in purple. Red shows up more than purple on TV screens, and Purple shows up more than black. It'll basically look like our Gothic or Rosebowl throw back being 90% black and 10% purple. What do you think? Can we rally 8,000 people to get down there and pay whatever it takes for tickets?

This would be a good time for us to get as many people into their stadium in purple. Red shows up more than purple on TV screens, and Purple shows up more than black. It'll basically look like our Gothic or Rosebowl throw back being 90% black and 10% purple. What do you think? Can we rally 8,000 people to get down there and pay whatever it takes for tickets?
The average crowd at NU is 35k, at Nebraska is 91k. Even if you get 8k fans to travel, for every one purple there will be around 100 black or red.

The average crowd at NU is 35k, at Nebraska is 91k. Even if you get 8k fans to travel, for every one purple there will be around 100 black or red.
The further away you get from different colors, the more they tend to blend and a dominant color will appear show up to the eye. Bright colors like red, yellow, white, orange take over purple, blue, and green. Everything takes over black. Since a lot of the TV shots are from far away, the stadium will often look like it has far more fans of the team with the brighter more dominant color. For example, when Nebraska played at Ryan Field, many people claimed there were far more Nebraska fans in attendance. I think the number was closer to 60% NU/ 40% NEB. The difference being 1: Nebraska fans wear red, while Northwestern fans were wearing whatever coat kept them warm and 2: Red bleeds and drowns out the purple.

As such, if we ever want to try to look like we have a presence in Memorial Stadium, our best chance is a black out. Not saying it'll work but 10% purple in a sea of black looks pretty good. 10% purple in a sea of red looks like nothing.

The further away you get from different colors, the more they tend to blend and a dominant color will appear show up to the eye. Bright colors like red, yellow, white, orange take over purple, blue, and green. Everything takes over black. Since a lot of the TV shots are from far away, the stadium will often look like it has far more fans of the team with the brighter more dominant color. For example, when Nebraska played at Ryan Field, many people claimed there were far more Nebraska fans in attendance. I think the number was closer to 60% NU/ 40% NEB. The difference being 1: Nebraska fans wear red, while Northwestern fans were wearing whatever coat kept them warm and 2: Red bleeds and drowns out the purple.

As such, if we ever want to try to look like we have a presence in Memorial Stadium, our best chance is a black out. Not saying it'll work but 10% purple in a sea of black looks pretty good. 10% purple in a sea of red looks like nothing.
Great Idea then. NU may not have many fans, but the ones we have are die hard fans plus, it will be nice to have the smartest fans

I just hope Nebraska's 20 year National Championship reunion week is as successful for their football team as our 20 year Rose Bowl reunion week was for ours...
Sadly their new coach will not be distracted by all his old buddies.

I think it is great. They have sold out for over 340 consecutive games and have great fan support. It means a lot to their players I am sure to see a stadium full of supporters. They have had 80k fans at a spring game at Memorial Stadium. More than 500,000 fans have in the last 8 years flocked to watch Nebraska's last spring practice. That kind of fan support isn't lame.
No, but Nebraska fans wearing black and not red is...

Cool colors recede; warm colors advance. Agree about the 60/40 NU/Nebby breakdown.

Nebraska isn't doing a blackout.

The students are doing a "wear red bring black" game where they wear red to the game but all bring a black shirt to put on for the defenses' first series. Once that series ends it's back to red for the rest of the game.

The students are doing a "wear red bring black" game where they wear red to the game but all bring a black shirt to put on for the defenses' first series. Once that series ends it's back to red for the rest of the game.
That seems really complicated

That seems really complicated

As umpteen thousand Huskers lift their arms in unison to crowd strip, a new Nebraska Tradition will be born: "Armpits in the air!"

43050014.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT