ADVERTISEMENT

Making sense of Monday's Brumbaugh Brum-bomb

I wonder if he feels hard done by Rowan, who heavily recruited him only to leave him at the altar........
Yeah that’s a crappy thing to do. Obviously these are children and losing a recruit sucks, but this one is more annoying than most.

I wonder if he feels hard done by Rowan, who heavily recruited him only to leave him at the altar........
Eh, on the flip side he’s the #235 kid in his class and he gets to play in the big ten. He’s not getting that offer if he wasn’t a teammate of Brumbaugh. If anything I wonder if that pisses the staff off. Maybe Hunger partly appealed to them because his commitment would have theoretically helped increase the chances that Brumbaugh actually made it to campus.

Eh, on the flip side he’s the #235 kid in his class and he gets to play in the big ten. He’s not getting that offer if he wasn’t a teammate of Brumbaugh. If anything I wonder if that pisses the staff off. Maybe Hunger partly appealed to them because his commitment would have theoretically helped increase the chances that Brumbaugh actually made it to campus.
Wrong. He has 24 offers, including Wisconsin, Iowa, BC, Miami, Pitt, Mississippi... there's plenty of demand for a mobile 6-10 big who can stretch the floor, hit the 3, and finish inside.

Wrong. He has 24 offers, including Wisconsin, Iowa, BC, Miami, Pitt, Mississippi... there's plenty of demand for a mobile 6-10 big who can stretch the floor, hit the 3, and finish inside.
You are correct about the interest/offers from power 5 teams, but Vassar69 is correct that Luke Hunger is not highly rated by the ranking services that I saw (24/7 and Rivals).

You are correct about the interest/offers from power 5 teams, but Vassar69 is correct that Luke Hunger is not highly rated by the ranking services that I saw (24/7 and Rivals).
What do they know?

I no longer get remotely excited about any commitment until they've actually signed the letter of intent. Just too much drama going on.
I'd add that I try to limit the excitement and expectations until their first couple games have been finished. For me, the ultimate examples of misguided expectations were Kyle Rowley and John Shurna in the same class. You could tell by the middle of December in their freshmen years how badly conventional wisdom scouting missed on both of them.

^ But then again, Rowley had some big name programs after him while think NU was Shurna's only P5 offer, so it's not only the rating services that miss.

Reactions: drewjin
We will be fine. This is our season but it could be cancelled over covid. We should beat MSU and continue our progression. If nothing is cancelled then we win 12 bigten games and go to the dance. Collins will fill all spots with quality transfers and recruits. I wish braumbough success

We will be fine. This is our season but it could be cancelled over covid. We should beat MSU and continue our progression. If nothing is cancelled then we win 12 bigten games and go to the dance. Collins will fill all spots with quality transfers and recruits. I wish braumbough success
How weird would it be if COVID "helped" us the way it did the 2020 football team? Other teams had players testing positive and then had games cancelled, while we sailed through.

I'd add that I try to limit the excitement and expectations until their first couple games have been finished. For me, the ultimate examples of misguided expectations were Kyle Rowley and John Shurna in the same class. You could tell by the middle of December in their freshmen years how badly conventional wisdom scouting missed on both of them.
Every freshman is equally likely to score any number between 0 and 15 ppg, and it seems almost entirely unrelated to recruiting ranking. Such is the life of a program that tends to recruit in the triple digits. Nobody knows nothing.

Well, Rowley was a legit 7-footer who weighed 285 pounds. Those guys are rare and are always at a premium. He had some skills, too. That's why he got offers from programs like Indiana, Georgetown, Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Shurna, on the other hand, was a very late bloomer who hit a late growth spurt, which is why he attracted so little attention. His other offers were from the likes of Davidson, Penn and UWGB -- although I believe he got a late one from Wazzu, IIRC. Even NU classmate Nick Fruendt -- remember him? -- had a better offer list than Shurna. It wasn't just recruiting services that missed on the Babyfaced Assassin; college coaches did too.

He didn't have iowa or wisconsin offers, but still had quite a few others obviously. You never know with foreign born kids, they often fly under the radar more than "locals" who get much more exposure in AAU, etc. For comparison a couple of recent/current Purdue bigs were not highly rated in the recruiting process. Matt Haarms (# 352) and Zach Edey(#440) both seemed to work out well.

Haven't seen anything, any ideas as to why the other kid backed off on his commitment?

Ok. Maybe there’s just 234 kids in his class who can do it better?

Or maybe the rankings are not infallible? Ya think?
Nobody would ever say the ratings are infallible.
But, when looking at the big guys, it was pretty apparent that "in general" the higher rated recruits were playing more and producing more as sophomores than the lower rated recruits.

Zach Edey was a notable exception.

Nobody would ever say the ratings are infallible.
But, when looking at the big guys, it was pretty apparent that "in general" the higher rated recruits were playing more and producing more as sophomores than the lower rated recruits.

Zach Edey was a notable exception.
The stupidity of blindly accepting rankings as some kind of fact is what I was pointing out. Sure the top 30-50ish players are fairly evident, but to say that a kid was ranked 235 on one highly subjective list doesn't mean there are 234 players who are "better". That's just stupid.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Not a class kid. I two ways about it. If I’m not mistaken the Texas coach brought one of his studs with him to Texas and that kid has already entered the portal. What does that say about the coach.

Why Collins and crew aren't recruiting his backcourt mate, Avery Brown, is beyond me. Has the grades, has the game, and may actually have a bigger upside than Brumbaugh. Has visited Colorado, Nebraska, and Arizona St., but is clearly open to other schools getting involved.

What a comment……really easy to root against him now.
Really problematic that Collins isn’t filtering kids like this out earlier. Huge opportunity cost in spending all that time and effort on a kid like this. Part of the reason why Collins can’t land a decent PG for the life of him.

Really problematic that Collins isn’t filtering kids like this out earlier. Huge opportunity cost in spending all that time and effort on a kid like this. Part of the reason why Collins can’t land a decent PG for the life of him.

I think 99 percent of top 100 players filter themselves out of NU consideration. So when you find one who gives you the time of day, you jump on it.

Texas couldn’t be more 180 degrees opposite than NU.
Well there are a lot of differences, but University of Texas is considered to be a pretty good public university. It could be even more different. He could have chosen Mississippi State, Tennessee, Alabama or LSU.

Wow. I have a problem with this kid's decision process. Have a good life, I'm done wasting any time thinking of him.

I like to think Brumbaugh looked at the NU roster, saw Buie, Audige, Berry, Roper and Simmons and thought "I may not get off the bench next year..."

• Love
Well there are a lot of differences, but University of Texas is considered to be a pretty good public university. It could be even more different. He could have chosen Mississippi State, Tennessee, Alabama or LSU.
I was talking about how basketball isn’t very important from a fans perspective at football schools like Oklahoma or Texas.

I like to think Brumbaugh looked at the NU roster, saw Buie, Audige, Berry, Roper and Simmons and thought "I may not get off the bench next year..."
That makes sense until you consider the portal. If Texas needs ready now guards, Texas will get ready now guards.

Too much energy wasted thinking about Lathon (forced), Bamisile or this kid. It happens, we move on. We did not lose Zion Williams.

Win 11 games this year and it’s believable we carry more weight in the portal. Last time we had success we landed Taylor. Who, like the result or not, so many wanted. We will have enough post Nance pieces to be attractive. Blow this season and chances are things unravel.

Why Collins and crew aren't recruiting his backcourt mate, Avery Brown, is beyond me. Has the grades, has the game, and may actually have a bigger upside than Brumbaugh. Has visited Colorado, Nebraska, and Arizona St., but is clearly open to other schools getting involved.
I've had the same thought. I only watch a few of the highlight video but Brumbaugh's teammate was always the kid that caught my eye. I assume I'm missing something.

Does it really make sense to recruit anyone?
Why waste the effort?
Just hang a "Transfers welcome" sign on the door at Welsh Ryan and pick up unhappy freshmen with good academics or guys who want to go to a good grad school. I'm only half-kidding.

Should we tell them ... although I will say that Miller Kopp's career 3pt average at 36% was higher than I thought since all I recall is him missing 64% of his shots. What did surprise me in looking at the stats was how few threes he took.

This tweet from Vitale was a little bit below Vitale telling all ND fans how great JJ Starling will be.

I was talking about how basketball isn’t very important from a fans perspective at football schools like Oklahoma or Texas.
I think Texas could win two NCAA Tournament titles and basketball would still run a distant second. Honestly, I would've thought that Beard would wait for a deluxe offer from a basketball school before taking the Texas job. Barnes did really good things there and they couldn't wait to be rid of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT