ADVERTISEMENT

Martinelli's left (but he's still here)

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like the announcers always know/remember Martinelli is a lefty, but teams aren't prepared for him to be so strong with his left. Maybe it's just his non-conference opponents don't really scout that far down the rotation (they should!), but I'm always surprised by how surprised our opponents are that he can shoot with his left so well. He has a nice touch around the basket - feel like when he gets close it's a higher percentage shot than just about any shot from our roster.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like the announcers always know/remember Martinelli is a lefty, but teams aren't prepared for him to be so strong with his left. Maybe it's just his non-conference opponents don't really scout that far down the rotation (they should!), but I'm always surprised by how surprised our opponents are that he can shoot with his left so well. He has a nice touch around the basket - feel like when he gets close it's a higher percentage shot than just about any shot from our roster.
It's a lot easier to remember a guy is lefty when it is in the notes, and all you have to do is talk about it. It's a little tougher in the heat of the game when years of instinct tell you that most guys go to their right. I did like Farnam's comment that Martinelli is left-handed, "and I can guarantee you he is going to stay left-handed for the rest of the game."

Last edited:
Great point (and good quote). It's probably the #1 thing on his list of talking points, like Barnhizer scoring a zillion points in Indiana for his dad and Langborg making the Sweet 16 last year.

He has a nice touch around the basket - feel like when he gets close it's a higher percentage shot than just about any shot from our roster.
Of shots that the player can create himself, you are correct. Nicholson dunks usually require a decent pass.

Years of muscle memory defending right handed players really works against someone when a lefty comes into the game for a few minutes of play a few times in the game. I suspect that before he's a starter next year, most B1G opponents will learn to shut down his left side and make him go right and shoot right.

But the non-cons won't see enough of him to remember in the moment.

Years of muscle memory defending right handed players really works against someone when a lefty comes into the game for a few minutes of play a few times in the game. I suspect that before he's a starter next year, most B1G opponents will learn to shut down his left side and make him go right and shoot right.

Or you just keep winning with the left side because you're so good at it. Basketball doesn't have to be that complicated, you can build hall of fame careers on two or three moves that you are just unstoppable at. Tim Duncan could tell you after pulling in the rebound that he's going to find you outside the block. muscle you down a little, and turn around to kiss it off the glass and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in actually stopping him from doing it. You knew he was going to do it, everybody watching knew he was going to do it. Didn't matter.

Or you just keep winning with the left side because you're so good at it. Basketball doesn't have to be that complicated, you can build hall of fame careers on two or three moves that you are just unstoppable at. Tim Duncan could tell you after pulling in the rebound that he's going to find you outside the block. muscle you down a little, and turn around to kiss it off the glass and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in actually stopping him from doing it. You knew he was going to do it, everybody watching knew he was going to do it. Didn't matter.
I know this wasn't quite your intention, but I laughed when I read this. Not only because it is 100 percent true, but because somehow you made me think for a second that you were comparing Martinelli to Tim Duncan.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
It could even be a bit of both. I'd be thrilled to see Martinelli turn into a guy so good at it that he's unstoppable.

Reactions: drewjin
I know this wasn't quite your intention, but I laughed when I read this. Not only because it is 100 percent true, but because somehow you made me think for a second that you were comparing Martinelli to Tim Duncan.
Haha!

And I worry whether he can go right. There was a play in the ASU game where he went to the basket and had what appeared to be a pretty wide open RIGHT handed layup. Instead of taking it, he had to switch hands and reposition his body, which allowed the defender to catch up and interfere with his shot. I hope he can develop some semblance of a right hand.

The fact that people are pointing out his lack of a right hand is concerning. What are opposing coaches going g to do that actually watch firm and come up with a plan.

To me Nick not developing a right hand over the summer is worse the Matt not doing Mikan drills,

But if he can do it in the coming months, he could be a top performer in the BIG10

The fact that people are pointing out his lack of a right hand is concerning. What are opposing coaches going g to do that actually watch firm and come up with a plan.

To me Nick not developing a right hand over the summer is worse the Matt not doing Mikan drills,

But if he can do it in the coming months, he could be a top performer in the BIG10
The biggest reason it is pointed out is because he is a somewhat rare left handed. They are plenty of right handed players that aren’t terrific going left. Our own Boo was heavily critiqued for this earlier in his career. In fact, teams still try to force him left.

As far as Nick not developing a right hand is worse than Matt not doing Milan drills, I completely disagree. Big Matt has now started over one and a half years, he could literally camp out 6 feet for the bucket and shot over these inferior squads. It would change the whole dynamic of this team. Also, it pretty evident that Nick is better than last year and Big Matt has regressed. You tell me who had the better summer? I want the Big Matt that played against UCLA last year. I want confidence out of the kid not frustration.

He needs to do 100 Mikan drills every day
Some of us are old. We know of George Mikan. Some of us probably saw him play...

I was watching UCLA play Maryland last night. Bill Walton was doing the game. My NU daughter was watching while reading a book. She goes to every NU game she can attend. She even knows the names of rival Big Ten players.

Walton started talking about Kareem being in the hospital, rambling on for a bit...
My daughter looked up from her book...
"Wait, who is he talking about?"
"Kareem Abdul Jabbar - he fell and broke his hip."
"Am I supposed to know who that is?"

Another highlight from that game was Bill Walton saying to the play by play guy "Are you old enough to remember when the guy dribbling the ball was hoping somebody else would shoot it?"

Old guys rule.

Some of us are old. We know of George Mikan. Some of us probably saw him play...

I was watching UCLA play Maryland last night. Bill Walton was doing the game. My NU daughter was watching while reading a book. She goes to every NU game she can attend. She even knows the names of rival Big Ten players.

Walton started talking about Kareem being in the hospital, rambling on for a bit...
My daughter looked up from her book...
"Wait, who is he talking about?"
"Kareem Abdul Jabbar - he fell and broke his hip."
"Am I supposed to know who that is?"

Another highlight from that game was Bill Walton saying to the play by play guy "Are you old enough to remember when the guy dribbling the ball was hoping somebody else would shoot it?"

Old guys rule.
Bill Walton is a national treasure.

Bill Walton is a national treasure.
Somewhat OT -- but was anyone else impressed with the color guy on the NU-ASU telecast? I think his name was Sean (sp?) Farnham. The name seems familiar but I can't place him. From what I could tell (didn't see the whole game) he appeared to be highly knowledgeable yet not intrusive. Does anyone know more about him?

Somewhat OT -- but was anyone else impressed with the color guy on the NU-ASU telecast? I think his name was Sean (sp?) Farnham. The name seems familiar but I can't place him. From what I could tell (didn't see the whole game) he appeared to be highly knowledgeable yet not intrusive. Does anyone know more about him?
I know the announcers talked more about things unrelated to the actual game than the game itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: cedricmelons
I know the announcers talked more about things unrelated to the actual game than the game itself.
Fair point, but that often goes with the territory in which there's pretty much a blowout game in almost any televised sport. I just thought their diversions were better handled than many I've seen.

The biggest reason it is pointed out is because he is a somewhat rare left handed. They are plenty of right handed players that aren’t terrific going left. Our own Boo was heavily critiqued for this earlier in his career. In fact, teams still try to force him left.

As far as Nick not developing a right hand is worse than Matt not doing Milan drills, I completely disagree. Big Matt has now started over one and a half years, he could literally camp out 6 feet for the bucket and shot over these inferior squads. It would change the whole dynamic of this team. Also, it pretty evident that Nick is better than last year and Big Matt has regressed. You tell me who had the better summer? I want the Big Matt that played against UCLA last year. I want confidence out of the kid not frustration.
Totally agree as mentioned previously having a close to the basket jump hook with either hand is almost a prerequisite now for a big man Center to be viable and it's not that hard to learn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT