ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
Whatever your opinion was of coach Painter before the game or during the game last night, everyone should watch his post game presser.

Watched in on BTN. Have never seen a coach say more positive comments, and often in great detail, about an opponent after a loss. You would have thought he was wearing purple clothes underneath.

Player by player he was praising the cats. He never once said his team lost. He said what Purdue could have done better. What we did incredibly well. From stat line to describing what barnhizer brings to the floor every night, it was just a class act.

I was very impressed. Cat fans should take a look. Purdue fans should as well and be thankful he’s your coach.

I really like Coach Painter and think he’s a great coach. He’s a total class act too. BUT man, he’s got to coach his team up on post entries. For a team with the best big man in the country, they sure do suck at that.

Reactions: drewjin
Whatever your opinion was of coach Painter before the game or during the game last night, everyone should watch his post game presser.

Watched in on BTN. Have never seen a coach say more positive comments, and often in great detail, about an opponent after a loss. You would have thought he was wearing purple clothes underneath.

Player by player he was praising the cats. He never once said his team lost. He said what Purdue could have done better. What we did incredibly well. From stat line to describing what barnhizer brings to the floor every night, it was just a class act.

I was very impressed. Cat fans should take a look. Purdue fans should as well and be thankful he’s your coach.
Kind of like Izzo after a win against us

BUT man, he’s got to coach his team up on post entries. For a team with the best big man in the country, they sure do suck at that.
I agree that they struggle with it at times, but I can’t say I’m surprised.

Changing priorities/styles at the professional level as well as the increased influence of the AAU circuit has made feeding the post to traditional big man a thing of the past. Hard to blame young players for not developing this skillset. It’s not a fundamental part of the game like it used to be.

Last edited:
Cant argue, it was a great interview, great detail....but I thought he was trying to let the home fans know they coulda beat us although he broke down in detail what his team did wrong. Coach Collins was very complimentary as well towards Coach Painter and Purdue....nice to see from both sides . As George Castanza said " its me , not you"

I really like Coach Painter and think he’s a great coach. He’s a total class act too. BUT man, he’s got to coach his team up on post entries. For a team with the best big man in the country, they sure do suck at that.
I like Painter as a Coach. Seems many PU fans don’t. To me, he has to develop an option OTHER than feeding it EVERY time in the post. I know they scored very few points other than Edey down the stretch. In fact, I don’t think they scored other than Edey in OT. Players looked very reluctant to shoot when the game got tight. They were very predictable and I would personally go to Edey the lions share of possessions, but it really was a one trick pony. Reminded me of the FAU loss for Purdue.

Reactions: cat inkansas
I like Painter as a Coach. Seems many PU fans don’t. To me, he has to develop an option OTHER than feeding it EVERY time in the post. I know they scored very few points other than Edey down the stretch. In fact, I don’t think they scored other than Edey in OT. Players looked very reluctant to shoot when the game got tight. They were very predictable and I would personally go to Edey the lions share of possessions, but it really was a one trick pony. Reminded me of the FAU loss for Purdue.
I assume you mean FDU, since Purdue didn't quite make it far enough to face FAU in the tourney...

Yes Sir, 1000% agree with every point. You can see why Purdue is great year after year after year. Painter is an impressive dude.

And it wasn't just Painter's 15 minutes, it was also the thirty minutes before that with Pizzo, Raphael Davis and Bruce Weber in the studio breaking down the game, effusively heaping praise on NU, especially Boo and CCC. So it was like a 45 minute, NU basketball commercial on BTN. Chris Collins followed all of them, and he was the subdued one.

That was a fun bonus hour of NU basketball right there.

Last edited:
Hopefully, this will help recruiting because life after BOO will be challenging.
I was just thinking about that. One of the drawbacks of having a veteran team is the veterans leave and you don’t have experienced players. Couple that with a potentially subpar recruiting class last year and next year could be really tough. Let’s enjoy this year.

MN and Berry have a covid year.

Brooks, Marti elli and Hunger are back.

Should get a bump from Mullins having spent time in the system (similar to Hunger)

Then the two highly regarded recruits. Should get big and guard in portal.

Should be competitive.

The 2023 class can just leave.

Should get a bump from Mullins having spent time in the system (similar to Hunger)

Should be competitive.

You had me until two highly regarded recruits. Who? What were their offers - curious who regarded them highly.

That said, I have said rather ccc identify the right pieces for his system and develop them than recruit highly rated guys and try to squeeze them into his system (ie - nance)

I was just thinking about that. One of the drawbacks of having a veteran team is the veterans leave and you don’t have experienced players. Couple that with a potentially subpar recruiting class last year and next year could be really tough. Let’s enjoy this year.
One word: transfers.

You can see the impact this year. Langborg stepped up huge. Preston made a big play. They both filled gaps in our roster.

Collins can pick the high schoolers that fit in his system and develop them so they are ready as upperclassmen. And for those positions that don’t have a Big Ten level starter developed, you can pick up a grad transfer to plug in.

I think this is the way for NU. We’re not (at least yet) going to get very many Top 50 types. But if we are consistently a veteran team, we can be competitive in the league.

Should be competitive.

I haven’t seen Mullins play. I don’t see high ceilings for the other guys you mention. And need someone to run the offense and create shots. Maybe another Longborg out there.
You had me until two highly regarded recruits. Who? What were their offers - curious who regarded them highly.

That said, I have said rather ccc identify the right pieces for his system and develop them than recruit highly rated guys and try to squeeze them into his system (ie - nance)
Don’t recruit a 6’10 guy who led the conference in 3-point shooting and finished in the top 10 in rebounds, scoring and blocks in the conference his senior year? He wasn’t a clutch player but you don’t know that when you recruit him. The system was fine. There were probably 13 conference games his senior year that we were leading in the last 5 minutes. Nothing wrong with the system. Just couldn’t finish the games. He wasn’t a selfish player. In fact, he was happy to defer. And from your perspective, Boo was not good 2 years ago. And Audige had a really poor year. Berry was just ok at best. They still had a pretty good chance to win at least 10 conference games in very strong year in the conference. Nance was a project. But you recruit him every time. He turned out to be better than probably half the players in the 50 to 100 range that year. Have you ever played or coached basketball at any level?

I haven’t seen Mullins play. I don’t see high ceilings for the other guys you mention. And need someone to run the offense and create shots. Maybe another Longborg out there.

Don’t recruit a 6’10 guy who led the conference in 3-point shooting and finished in the top 10 in rebounds, scoring and blocks in the conference his senior year? He wasn’t a clutch player but you don’t know that when you recruit him. The system was fine. There were probably 13 conference games his senior year that we were leading in the last 5 minutes. Nothing wrong with the system. Just couldn’t finish the games. He wasn’t a selfish player. In fact, he was happy to defer. And from your perspective, Boo was not good 2 years ago. And Audige had a really poor year. Berry was just ok at best. They still had a pretty good chance to win at least 10 conference games in very strong year in the conference. Nance was a project. But you recruit him every time. He turned out to be better than probably half the players in the 50 to 100 range that year. Have you ever played or coached basketball at any level?
Before you launch into the personal insults, which I’m happy to play as you have provided plenty for me to operate from, YOU referred to highly regarded. That implies professionals within the industry think highly of them, not internet trolls. Those professionals run teams and offer scholarships to players they think highly of. The better those folks are at their professional, the higher level program that they operate. So…

When YOU say highly regarded, I say I don’t recall any of our recent recruits, or transfers, having many high level offers from other schools. Perhaps I missed something, it can happen. So who are YOU regarding to as such a highly regarded recruit and with what other offers?

(This is me being nice - wanna get dirty, then come back with another derogatory post. Remember, ignore is your friend, I am not. )

Yikes! You’re writing off the entire 3-person class in December of their Freshman year? Tough crowd. Two of them haven’t even played yet.

Further to this comment, how in the world would anyone know? What I see in college basketball is, other than the tippy top recruits who are typically genetically in another stratosphere, there's a whole world of capable players that are molded through development and fitted into a team - or not. The jury hasn't even been selected yet for that recruiting class. The fact that two of them are sitting on the bench is a compliment to NU's current depth.

Nope I happen to like that 2023 class, but on they board players seems to be written off very easily.

Not sure if Barkely and Strauss are hurt, but Clayton has first played on a busted leg and is not playing with a busted. The left hand is heavily wrapped, touch kid that want to play..

If you went by how Boo started here, he lacked discipline and has developed, but I'm sure people wanted to give up on. MN is another one.

Enjoy the moment, every player has something to work on.

Nope I happen to like that 2023 class, but on they board players seems to be written off very easily.

Not sure if Barkely and Strauss are hurt, but Clayton has first played on a busted leg and is not playing with a busted. The left hand is heavily wrapped, touch kid that want to play..

If you went by how Boo started here, he lacked discipline and has developed, but I'm sure people wanted to give up on. MN is another one.

Clayton was always going to be the most ready of the three, since he has the athleticism to at least not be a liability on defense. And there is simply no room for Barkley and Strauss in the rotation right now. Which is a good problem to have!! Brooks is example No. 1 of how if you keep grinding, good things can happen to you at NU.

Before you launch into the personal insults, which I’m happy to play as you have provided plenty for me to operate from, YOU referred to highly regarded. That implies professionals within the industry think highly of them, not internet trolls. Those professionals run teams and offer scholarships to players they think highly of. The better those folks are at their professional, the higher level program that they operate. So…

When YOU say highly regarded, I say I don’t recall any of our recent recruits, or transfers, having many high level offers from other schools. Perhaps I missed something, it can happen. So who are YOU regarding to as such a highly regarded recruit and with what other offers?

(This is me being nice - wanna get dirty, then come back with another derogatory post. Remember, ignore is your friend, I am not. )
He didn’t refer to highly regarded. @ballerog711 referred to highly regarded and clarified he meant Windham and Ciaravino.

Neither are highly regarded on paper by the recruiting services (though Ciaravino has other P5 offers). I’d say most of the hype about them has been of the “under the radar steal” type variety. There’s nothing in either’s resume or tape that makes you think they are immediate impact guys, so we will likely need a transfer plug for a year or two.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin
U

Unfortunately for him he has had to do it too many times in tourney games

• Sad
Yikes! You’re writing off the entire 3-person class in December of their Freshman year? Tough crowd. Two of them haven’t even played yet.
And one has and he has done well enough t indicate some promise

To be fair on MN, there were a few on this board that wanted to see him earlier than we did. I was fine with it as it was cause hard to give him the minutes with Nance and Young and he was more of a developmental project

Painter is one coach who understands the value of (or at least builds around) dominant big men.
He recruits them and develops them - in most cases gets as much out of them as he can.
He (or an assistant coach) has done a great job with Edey, who has worked his tail off to improve.
Edey had offers from only Purdue, Baylor, Minnesota, Tulane and Western Kentucky and was certainly outside of the Top 200 recruits.

Both Matt Painter and Chris Lowery were assistants for Bruce Weber for at least 5 years.

Interestingly, Weber said after the NU win over Purdue "The best coached teams are the ones with a coach on the court" talking about Boo Buie. Probably easier to say things like that when you're retired from coaching.

There's an informative article on Matt Painter from a couple years ago, written by Andy Katz...

In it Trevion Williams and a younger Zach Edey compliment "the attention to detail from the staff, notably nine-year assistant coach Brandon Brantley (a 6'8" former player). The focus is on making post moves, layups at the rim, working on freeze faking, getting to the line and working hard to get in position and do what you need to do before the ball gets there."

To be fair on MN, there were a few on this board that wanted to see him earlier than we did. I was fine with it as it was cause hard to give him the minutes with Nance and Young and he was more of a developmental project

There's a think piece to be done about how the Nance and Young transfers were the best thing that could have happened to CC and the program.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I agree with most if not all of the positive praise of coach Painter. Very much a class act. It amuses me to see some of the vitriol toward Painter on Purdue boards - from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Luckily for Purdue, they don't decide who the coach is.

I agree with most if not all of the positive praise of coach Painter. Very much a class act. It amuses me to see some of the vitriol toward Painter on Purdue boards - from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Luckily for Purdue, they don't decide who the coach is.
He’s a really good coach but you lose in the first round as the number 1 seed and the year before as the heavy favorite and you are rightfully going to face some heat. I thought he should have been able to make adjustments to get them a win last year in the tournament.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT