ADVERTISEMENT

Montre @ Combine

4.69u on both 40s. Not good for a guy whose main knock is top-end speed.

Surprised at the pedestrian 40y time. As Hungry noted, he certainly seemed faster on the field in full pads. Based on on-field performance, one would think that Hartage would beat JJTBC in a 40y race, but JJ clocked a 4.52 last year vs Montre's 4.69. Wonder if his injury affected his time.

I was gonna make fun of 40 times here, but my math says that JJTBC would beat Hartage by ~4.5 feet in a 40-yard-dash. That’s a lot!

(Of course, running 40 yards in a straight line isn’t a common NFL occurrence anyway. Still, too bad that his time wasn’t better.)

I hope he times better at NU pro day.

Not surprised at his slow time. Most of his picks were on underthrown balls. I doubt his clutching and grabbing to keep up with WR's is gonna be as effective in the NFL.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
His ball skills, physicality against the pass and run will play well with certain schemes. He won’t be drafted by teams that play a lot of bump and run man coverage.

Nope. But I know Hartage doesn't have a chance against a fast receiver unless he grabs a handle. Good luck with that in the NFL.
C’mon man, I thought you “strapped it on” and knew football... especially Florida football.

Joe Haden, from UF, ran a much slower than expected 40 time at the combine (near 4.6) and the draft watchers were thrown in a tizzy. The Browns still selected him in the early 1st round and he’s been a Pro Bowl NFL cornerback last time I checked.

Hartage can play - the gameday test doesn’t lie. He has great awareness and makes the most of his talent.

Plus, his shuttle time is indicative of very “quick hips” which is just as important as the dash - if not moreso. I still think he can get a roster spot and play at the next level, perhaps starting as a special teamer and nickle or dime back a la McManis.

C’mon man, I thought you “strapped it on” and knew football... especially Florida football.

Joe Haden, from UF, ran a much slower than expected 40 time at the combine (near 4.6) and the draft watchers were thrown in a tizzy. The Browns still selected him in the early 1st round and he’s been a Pro Bowl NFL cornerback last time I checked.

Hartage can play - the gameday test doesn’t lie. He has great awareness and makes the most of his talent.

Plus, his shuttle time is indicative of very “quick hips” which is just as important as the dash - if not moreso. I still think he can get a roster spot and play at the next level, perhaps starting as a special teamer and nickle or dime back a la McManis.

I'm proud of the fact that I don't know football, and I'm particularly proud of my ignorance of everything "Florida football". However, I've spent several weeks working on Lake Blackshear and the Flint River near Hartage's home in Cordele, GA.

I know Hartage is a great college player with excellent quickness. But IMO, he also lacked top-end speed and had to grab to hang with the speedsters, which he did quite deftly. If that translates into an NFL career, great!

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Per Wiki, Haden ran a 4.52 at the combine, which still disappointed the scouts. It was said he was nursing an injury and he eventually ran 4.43 at the pro day, so slightly different situation.

Per Wiki, Haden ran a 4.52 at the combine, which still disappointed the scouts. It was said he was nursing an injury and he eventually ran 4.43 at the pro day, so slightly different situation.
Yeah I mean 4.69 is pretty bad for a corner. It would be middling for a MLB - A Walk was faster last year. I mean jeez that’s not thaaat far off of what my 40 time is and I know for darned sure that I could never cover an NFL WR. Hopefully Montre had something off that day and can improve on NU pro day. Except he did get that exact time twice, and his shuttle time was very fast, hence probably not injured. So it seems more likely that he just has great quickness and change of direction but weak top end speed.

Nope, his first time was a 4.57 and his second time was 4.6. He or his assistant likely edited the Wiki article for posterity- here are links to independent articles verifying the 4.57 time:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/nfl-combine-best-worst-performance-busts-tom-brady-40-time

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ts-joe-haden-disappoints-eric-berry-impresses

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2010/03/browns_insider_hadens_slow_40.html

I don’t recall him being hurt and none of the articles mention it either - in the last he said was shocked and that he needed to “work on training for his pro day”, which are less reliable times than the combine. Regardless he is a great CB, 4.6 40 or not.

I'm proud of the fact that I don't know football, and I'm particularly proud of my ignorance of everything "Florida football". However, I've spent several weeks working on Lake Blackshear and the Flint River near Hartage's home in Cordele, GA.

I know Hartage is a great college player with excellent quickness. But IMO, he also lacked top-end speed and had to grab to hang with the speedsters, which he did quite deftly. If that translates into an NFL career, great!
Well maybe he can make it in the AAF or the new XFL if he is too slow for the NFL. I haven’t watched a second of an AAF game, but I heard that the offenses are so bad that they’re ultimately entertaining.

Lou Holtz: “I’d rather have a slow guy going in the wrong direction than a fast guy going in the wrong direction. At least the slow guy won’t be as far out of position as the fast guy.”

Hence "tend to," eh?

Lou Holtz: “I’d rather have a slow guy going in the wrong direction than a fast guy going in the wrong direction. At least the slow guy won’t be as far out of position as the fast guy.”

I'd love to hear him comment on Siemian's rushing TD in the 4th quarter of the ND game in 2014. EVERYBODY was going in the wrong direction as fast as they could, even almost knocking over a ref to get away from Siemian. It looked like Siemian was Moses parting the Red Sea or everyone thought he had a live grenade. It was one of the funniest plays I've seen in football. DiNardo and Griffith chuckled over it while showing the highlights of that game.

I'd love to hear him comment on Siemian's rushing TD in the 4th quarter of the ND game in 2014. EVERYBODY was going in the wrong direction as fast as they could, even almost knocking over a ref to get away from Siemian. It looked like Siemian was Moses parting the Red Sea or everyone thought he had a live grenade. It was one of the funniest plays I've seen in football. DiNardo and Griffith chuckled over it while showing the highlights of that game.

Hysterical play. I have watched it many times. I am absolutely convinced that Siemian looked up and had a very very brief hesitation because he could not believe himself that he had a wide open field to the endszone.

Reactions: StreamCat
Hysterical play. I have watched it many times. I am absolutely convinced that Siemian looked up and had a very very brief hesitation because he could not believe himself that he had a wide open field to the endszone.

I'd love to have been in the room when the coaches and team reviewed the film of that play. The ND defense couldn't have failed any worse than if they tried!

Yeah I mean 4.69 is pretty bad for a corner. It would be middling for a MLB - A Walk was faster last year. I mean jeez that’s not thaaat far off of what my 40 time is and I know for darned sure that I could never cover an NFL WR. Hopefully Montre had something off that day and can improve on NU pro day. Except he did get that exact time twice, and his shuttle time was very fast, hence probably not injured. So it seems more likely that he just has great quickness and change of direction but weak top end speed.
He is running injured. He has a lower body injury that is more of a problem for the 40 than it is the shuttle

Reactions: DaCat
Then he shouldn’t have run.
He may have thought he would test better. It doesn't look good to scouts not running Of course his slow time didn't either But he may have wanted to see how he felt that day to make that decision If a player is fast and use to running fast it is hard for them to think they won't run fast Jango constantly ran 4.5. I remember him being hurt and running hurt thinking he would still run his 4.5. He ran a 4.7. A competitive athlete always feels they can compete

He may have thought he would test better. It doesn't look good to scouts not running Of course his slow time didn't either But he may have wanted to see how he felt that day to make that decision If a player is fast and use to running fast it is hard for them to think they won't run fast Jango constantly ran 4.5. I remember him being hurt and running hurt thinking he would still run his 4.5. He ran a 4.7. A competitive athlete always feels they can compete

Could very easily have just waited for the pro day.

One thing about athletics that I find interesting is training effect. Runner's times improve over a track & field season. Lifters steadily gain strength with regular lifting.

If he's been injured and unable to run, he'd lose the benefits of training just like a weightlifter does if they don't lift for a few weeks. Hartage was definitely injured at the end of last season, including the bowl game. He might have felt well at the combine but he'd lost a tenth of a second or two of speed from inactivity.

Reactions: CrippleCat
Could very easily have just waited for the pro day.
I am sure he wouldn't have ran it if he knew he would do poorly He probably woke up feeling good and decided to run it knowing he had another chance to run it if he needed to

Reactions: DaCat
Montre is one of the hardest working guys on the team and would do anything to help a fellow human being He works extremely hard and makes zero excuses when things don't go as planned I think he will be alright because of his attitude and work ethic He is one of Jango's favorite teammates because of all he is willing to do to help others. He will be given a chance at the next level and when healthy will work his tail of to achieve his dreams.

I am sure he wouldn't have ran it if he knew he would do poorly He probably woke up feeling good and decided to run it knowing he had another chance to run it if he needed to

Better not to risk putting a slow time on the record if top-end speed is the biggest knock against you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT