ADVERTISEMENT

ND Fan Here — Skowronek

Watched alot of Jones in HS, Skowronek at NU, and I'd think Jones has far greater potential for the role.

You sure you weren't at Loyola?

I think what the OP means is that NU students tend to choose to live off-campus after their first or second year -- actually, as of last year, there's a 2-year "on-campus" living requirement. But living off-campus at NU typically means an apartment or house on Sherman or Noyes or Foster or some place like that. I guess if a two-block walk to class constitutes a "commuter feel" in the OP's view, so be it.

Reactions: Katatonic
I think what the OP means is that NU students tend to choose to live off-campus after their first or second year -- actually, as of last year, there's a 2-year "on-campus" living requirement. But living off-campus at NU typically means an apartment or house on Sherman or Noyes or Foster or some place like that. I guess if a two-block walk to class constitutes a "commuter feel" in the OP's view, so be it.

That’s pretty much what happens at every University.

Some schools are true commuter schools where students live at home. UMN was like that when I took some classes there 20+ years ago, a fairly dead campus. It’s much different now. NU is not a commuter campus no matter how many students live off campus because they generally all live in Evanston and the campus area is the center of activity. They’re not driving in just to go to class and driving back to the suburbs.

Reactions: corbi296
Ok?
ND isn’t for everyone.

Similarly, I was down to Notre Dame, Northwestern and Duke. I didn’t particularly like the “commuter feel” or culture at Northwestern, and I wasn’t the worlds biggest fan of the east coast folks and the general frat culture at Duke.
(I'm from Wisconsin)

Not sure what any of this has to do with football.

Interesting. I never got any sense that there was a "commuter feel" at NU, and if you want frat culture, NU is loaded with it as well as zillions of East Coast types. For me, it was a split between NU and UChicago, the latter of which has zip frat culture, and I was born on campus, which didn't influence my decision to fade on the the "school where fun goes to die". Truer words were never spoken.

Yep, a commuter school would be like what NYU was decades ago.

At most universities, a certain portion of students live in off-campus housing (at NU, it's virtually like being on-campus b/c it's right next to it).

At most schools, fraternity and sorority houses are not on campus - so guess it makes them commuter students.

You guys seem confused.

My statement about NU having a “commuter feel” came from my impression that NU had a relatively large number of students who were “non-traditional” (Read: older) and /or international, who did not live on campus and/or contribute to a campus culture.

That feel was augmented by the numerous times that I was told that students tend to go into Chicago for their social life.

Whereas ND has the strongest campus culture of any school that I visited. Literally all students lived 2 years on campus, most lived 3, and many lived all 4. Parties/drinking were actually encouraged to be on campus, instead of off campus (for safety, given south bend). Etc.

Finally, as to frats, the fact that ND banned frats was a POSITIVE to me.

I planned to double major in chemical engineering and business, in order to pursue as career in patent law and potentially venture capital (I recently graduated law school and work as a patent attorney). I knew I’d have a hard time choosing between the time I’d need to commit to that course and my desire to maximize my social experience in college....to which end I’d need to join a frat, if available

The fact that ND banned frats, and their guys dorms become types of frats in their own...but with less time commitment...was a major positive.
Plus, that only further added to the campus community/culture that i was looking for.

The point it......ND isn’t for everyone. And that’s totally fine.
Neither is NU....which is also fine.

I came to talk football.

You guys seem confused.

My statement about NU having a “commuter feel” came from my impression that NU had a relatively large number of students who were “non-traditional” (Read: older) and /or international, who did not live on campus and/or contribute to a campus culture.

That feel was augmented by the numerous times that I was told that students tend to go into Chicago for their social life.

The rest of what you wrote is fine.

But, the undergrad population is not "non-traditional" though probably far more diverse including internationally vs. Notre Dame. Almost everyone lives on campus or a 5 minute walk from it so not sure what you are hearing or talking about. There is no "commuter" culture in the undergraduate community.

And I guess technically the Mark II is about 10 min away, and so counts as Chicago, so I guess there is some truth to that. But, what else can you do when the bars in Evanston close at 2am?

You guys seem confused.

But, the undergrad population is not "non-traditional" though probably far more diverse including internationally vs. Notre Dame. Almost everyone lives on campus or a 5 minute walk from it so not sure what you are hearing or talking about. There is no "commuter" culture in the undergraduate community.

And I guess technically the Mark II is about 10 min away, and so counts as Chicago, so I guess there is some truth to that. But, what else can you do when the bars in Evanston close at 2am?

Now the reason for going to Chicago (Rogers Park) is bars in Evanston close at 2am? That's a real improvement over never opening.

Reactions: iskaboo
Not here to start a fight, as I’ve heard there is some inexplicable animosity between us.

But rather, I’m interested in what ND is getting in Skowronek?

How good is he?
How good can he be?
What are his strengths?
His weaknesses?

In particular, I’m interested in what he can/could provide to a team that’s hoping to compete for the playoffs?

As for ND’s WR situation, we play a boundary/field system. Our boundary WR needs to be big and make contested catches. He typically gets a lot of 1v1 coverage, due to our formations, particularly if they’re not a “game changer” that simply draws that extra attention regardless.

The last 3 years, the players who have held ND’s Boundary WR position are:
- Equanimous St. Brown (2017) — 6th Rd
- Miles Boykin (2018) — 3rd Rd
- Chase Claypool (2019) — 2nd/3rd Rd??

As for the current depth chart there, with the graduation of Claypool, there is an opening at Boundary WR. (Field WR is likely occupied by Braden Lenzy).

The WR in the roster competing for the spot are:
- Kevin Austin (an elite talent and Top100 recruit, flashed as a Frosh in 2018 but was academically ineligible in 2019)
- Micah Jones (huge WR, solid speed, but young and totally unproven)

Can he help a Top10-ish team?
How so?

First of all I think Skowronek is being under rated in this discussion. I thnk he will have a breakout year for Notre Dame. He has not played with top notch offensive talent around him. He will be an impact player for the Irish.
I attended the Notre Dame Michigan game 2 years ago when ESPN Gameday was there. I was very impressed with the campus and the student body. I was expecting to hate it but everyone was so friendly and the campus was beautiful. If I were catholic, Notre Dame would be an amazing place to go. The only thing lacking at Notre Dame is diversity. Fraternities are also big at NU and NU is definitely not a commuter school.

First of all I think Skowronek is being under rated in this discussion. I thnk he will have a breakout year for Notre Dame. He has not played with top notch offensive talent around him. He will be an impact player for the Irish.
I attended the Notre Dame Michigan game 2 years ago when ESPN Gameday was there. I was very impressed with the campus and the student body. I was expecting to hate it but everyone was so friendly and the campus was beautiful. If I were catholic, Notre Dame would be an amazing place to go. The only thing lacking at Notre Dame is diversity. Fraternities are also big at NU and NU is definitely not a commuter school.

I agree with you. I think Ben will be a valuable contributor for ND on the field next year.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Not here to start a fight, as I’ve heard there is some inexplicable animosity between us.

But rather, I’m interested in what ND is getting in Skowronek?

How good is he?
How good can he be?
What are his strengths?
His weaknesses?

In particular, I’m interested in what he can/could provide to a team that’s hoping to compete for the playoffs?

As for ND’s WR situation, we play a boundary/field system. Our boundary WR needs to be big and make contested catches. He typically gets a lot of 1v1 coverage, due to our formations, particularly if they’re not a “game changer” that simply draws that extra attention regardless.

The last 3 years, the players who have held ND’s Boundary WR position are:
- Equanimous St. Brown (2017) — 6th Rd
- Miles Boykin (2018) — 3rd Rd
- Chase Claypool (2019) — 2nd/3rd Rd??

As for the current depth chart there, with the graduation of Claypool, there is an opening at Boundary WR. (Field WR is likely occupied by Braden Lenzy).

The WR in the roster competing for the spot are:
- Kevin Austin (an elite talent and Top100 recruit, flashed as a Frosh in 2018 but was academically ineligible in 2019)
- Micah Jones (huge WR, solid speed, but young and totally unproven)

So this is the situation Skowronek is walking into.

Can he help a Top10-ish team?
How so?
I'm sure that he will start at ND, if healthy. A big physcial wide receiver that can run routes and has athletic jumping ability that allows his big long frame to position and win jump balls. He will also catch the high balls over the shoulder and pretty much anything within 5 feet of him. He simply had no chance at NU as we work through our deep QB issues. He isn't a speed burner but because of his size, he is a nightmare for opposing DB's who will get safety help over against him if your OL allows your QB enough time to get downfield passing going. Less well known is that he was our best blocking WR in a decade. A sorta morph TE.

You guys seem confused.

Whereas ND has the strongest campus culture of any school that I visited. Literally all students lived 2 years on campus, most lived 3, and many lived all 4. Parties/drinking were actually encouraged to be on campus, instead of off campus (for safety, given south bend). Etc.

Finally, as to frats, the fact that ND banned frats was a POSITIVE to me.

I planned to double major in chemical engineering and business, in order to pursue as career in patent law and potentially venture capital (I recently graduated law school and work as a patent attorney). I knew I’d have a hard time choosing between the time I’d need to commit to that course and my desire to maximize my social experience in college....to which end I’d need to join a frat, if available

The fact that ND banned frats, and their guys dorms become types of frats in their own...but with less time commitment...was a major positive.
Plus, that only further added to the campus community/culture that i was looking for.

You know nothing of fraternity life, and a dorm floor has nothing to do with a fraternity. I've heard many GDI's make that claim about their dormitory, and I can only shake my heard. It's like a virgin talking about sex. Garbage in, garbage out.

The point it......ND isn’t for everyone. And that’s totally fine.
Neither is NU....which is also fine.

I came to talk football.

I always felt that our lack of football support from students was directly tied to a majority culture that never grew up with football.
ND is 70% white. At NU, you can add white plus american black and still not have the majority. Big asian populations, imo, arent going to be supporting a team in bad times in cold weather.
May also affect our recruiting. Tennessee used to pal around blondes with bodacious ta tas with their recruits.

I always felt that our lack of football support from students was directly tied to a majority culture that never grew up with football.
ND is 70% white. At NU, you can add white plus american black and still not have the majority. Big asian populations, imo, arent going to be supporting a team in bad times in cold weather.
May also affect our recruiting. Tennessee used to pal around blondes with bodacious ta tas with their recruits.
Nothing like some racism from Turk in the morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT