ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska -9.5

The delusion never ceases.

32 wins in the last ten years in conference, for Nebraska. (Actually, it’s 39 conference wins since joining in 2011, so we’ll give you those 39, as that marks the time you joined the B1G to present your increasing irrelevance. Easier to compete with fellow corn-feds instead of with Texas and Oklahoma!!)

43 for NU in the last ten years. 46 since you joined the conference.

Oh, but, Lincoln has been to six bowl games since joining the conference, winning two. Oh, but NU has been to seven, winning five.

Hmmm, but the Cornholers have won, from what I can tell, zero division titles since joining the conference. NU has won two.

As far as I can tell, Nebraska leads NU only in total head coaches, with three.

Go back to 1995, when you were last relevant. There’s this new rapper, Tupac, who’s just blowing up in Lincoln.

I bet you’ve got *great* high school football stories to share.
Ouch. That left a mark.

Nebraska is no longer in the elite I agree but for the love of God never put Northwestern in the same breath as Nebraska when talking bout a football program. Just stop.
Really?

Date
Opponent (record)ResultScoreSite
10/2/2021vs.*Northwestern (3-9)W567
11/7/2020@*Northwestern (7-2)L1321
10/5/2019vs.*Northwestern (3-9)W1310
10/13/2018@*Northwestern (9-5)L3134
11/4/2017vs.*Northwestern (10-3)L2431
9/24/2016@*Northwestern (7-6)W2413
10/24/2015vs.*Northwestern (10-3)L2830
10/18/2014@*Northwestern (5-7)W3817
11/2/2013vs.*Northwestern (5-7)W2724
10/20/2012@*Northwestern (10-3)W2928
11/5/2011vs.*Northwestern (6-7)L2528

Not that I like dipping my toe in these waters, but I think everyone can agree that Nebraska was - for a very long time - an elite college football program. Northwestern's 1995 team (arguably the best Northwestern team ever) probably would have been blown out by Nebraska's 1995 team (arguably the best team ever for ANY school). No one denies that Nebraska was great in the 20th century, especially at the end of the 20th century.

But now...they are not a good team. They have occasional bursts of success, but Frost's tenure has been a disaster. Nebraska won - and won big - over Northwestern last year, that is true, but over the last couple of decades, they are about the same as Northwestern football overall. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, but at no time a program that isn't comparable to Northwestern. I think 10-20 years, especially if we're talking about the last 10-20 years, is a good way to compare the programs now and not based on the success of Tom Osborne.

Reactions: DaCat and LACatFan
Go back to 1995, when you were last relevant. There’s this new rapper, Tupac, who’s just blowing up in Lincoln.

I bet you’ve got *great* high school football stories to share.
tupac-2pac.gif

Reactions: NUCat320
Yes, Northwestern is on par with Nebraska the last decade otherwise it isn't on the same planet. Despite sucking lately Nebraska still has a national brand - look at recruiting. Rarely in state players but still can get good kids around the country.

Nebraska is top 10 in all-time wins and was at the top of CFB for 30 years. I get those days are over at the top but we will soon be a top 10 team consistently and it will start this year. Book it.

• Haha
Reactions: NU Houston
Yes, Northwestern is on par with Nebraska the last decade otherwise it isn't on the same planet. Despite sucking lately Nebraska still has a national brand - look at recruiting. Rarely in state players but still can get good kids around the country.

Nebraska is top 10 in all-time wins and was at the top of CFB for 30 years. I get those days are over at the top but we will soon be a top 10 team consistently and it will start this year. Book it.
No I am not living in the past, but what about those 30 years. Comical.

I went bankrupt the last five times a Husker guaranteed me that the their football team was back to relevance (and that's just the last five years), so I'm probably gonna wait until The Curse of Frank Solich is actually exorcised. The kids being recruited now weren't even alive the last time Nebraska finished in the Top 10 (nationally, not in the B1G ;)).

Last edited:
Put down and step away from the Husker bong, son...

Reactions: hollandnucat
I went bankrupt the last five times a Husker guaranteed me that the their football team was back to relevance (and that's just the last five years), so I'm probably gonna wait until The Curse of Frank Solich is actually exorcised. The kids being recruited now weren't even alive the last time Nebraska finished in the Top 10 (nationally, not in the B1G ;)).
Fair enough, time will tell...I also just laugh that teams who were never elite just act like it gets erased over a decade of time. That's nonsense.

Again, if Nebraska hasn't been winning why can they recruit well out of state? Would like to hear an outside perspective because I think our brand is still strong. Can't erase the past.

Fair enough, time will tell...I also just laugh that teams who were never elite just act like it gets erased over a decade of time. That's nonsense.

Again, if Nebraska hasn't been winning why can they recruit well out of state? Would like to hear an outside perspective because I think our brand is still strong. Can't erase the past.
When was the last time Nebraska produced a first round NFL pick?

For what it’s worth, it appears as if the Lincoln roster is relatively more reliant on Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas than NU is on Illinois, Michigan, Ohio (Wisconsin, Indiana). I just looked at rosters, not recruiting classes, so I don’t know which are walk-ons, etc.

I get being proud of your history, but your now is the dregs. How many programs have gone five straight years with not so much as a bowl game appearance?

Nobody cares when they beat Nebraska, except weird, out-of-touch people born in the 70s or earlier, who say, “hey, Nebraska, big win!”

(I write all of this expecting NU to lose by three touchdowns this weekend.)

I’ve always thought Northwestern has been very well coached and definitely gets the most out of lower rated recruits. (They may get smarter kids too) Last year we were able to string some huge plays together for a preformance we hadn’t put on the entire rest of the season. You guys made our 255lb power running back look FAST…Easily the slowest defense we faced all year.

We have a more polished QB coming in who does not have nearly the mistake record that Martinez did. We have 2 more stud transfer receivers starting. Remember Samori Toure last year? Our offensive line I expect to be similar to possibly slightly improved. It’s unfortunate for you guys your D-line is your weak point, because O-line will be ours, so no advantage there. Our offensive performance is still a bit of a question mark to me in this game but I think we will still get some chunk plays and capitalize because I don’t see your defense being THAT much better than last year.

Our defense is going to remain a problem for opponents. Overall we have grown up despite losing 2 starting safeties and a draft pick corner. We have the #8 rated line backing corps in the nation (2nd in the B1G to Iowa) Top rated pass rushing transfer - Oschean Mathis.

I don’t think it’s as bad as last year. You guys may sneak a couple big plays past a somewhat fresh secondary. Our offense will be a lot of “new” and I don’t expect them to gel to the tune of 56 points on day 1. But we will again have far superior athleticism and will ride it to victory.

27-14. Fully Husked

Idk what that has to do with recruiting vs development....but 2011 was last time. We had two 2nd rounders this year from a 3-9 team.
LOL. Nebraska has recruited some good players but hasn’t landed a really good one in more than a decade. That says a lot about how its brand has eroded. I always like the “we have great recruits, they just don’t turn into great players logic”.

Harvard, Yale, and Army used to be elite programs. Times change, and Neb is irrelevant in college football. You've had 5 straight losing seasons. The last time you won 10 games or more is ten years ago. Cincinnati is more elite than you, for God's sake. Every school has to recruit well out of state, that doesn't make you elite. Come back when you get your sh*t together and don't talk about 30 years ago.

Honestly, I don’t think your recruiting is all that great. Sure, you get your share of 4 stars, but how many actually stay 4 years? I seem to recall a rash of players from Florida coming and going quickly. The 4stars you get are typically late in the cycle.

Without the transfer portal , Frosty would be in even hotter water. Saving his butt.

What is the Nebraska brand today?

Recruiting out-of-state? UNL football has been a quickly revolving door of out-of-state players for several years now. Even then, the rap on UNL is they look good getting off the bus and then fold like a house of cards on the field.

The past? Nobody is looking to erase UNL's past. Though the underlying criminal element of that past under Osborne was downright ugly. It's when UNL fans think that long ago past somehow defines the program today that people draw the line.

For at least the last 10 years UNL football has been looking up to NU football. That's an objective fact. One I never thought I would see 30 years ago.

Not that NU fans have all that much to brag about. We were awful last year and may repeat that ineptitude this year. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worse for NU this weekend in Dublin.

Just saying that UNL has a long ways to go to return to a top 10 ranking. And to this observer there is no discernable path from where you have been for a decade plus to where you think you are today.

GOUNUII

Harvard, Yale, and Army used to be elite programs. Times change, and Neb is irrelevant in college football. You've had 5 straight losing seasons. The last time you won 10 games or more is ten years ago. Cincinnati is more elite than you, for God's sake. Every school has to recruit well out of state, that doesn't make you elite. Come back when you get your sh*t together and don't talk about 30 years ago.
Yes, the 1890s are similar to the 1990s - clown comment.

What is the Nebraska brand today?

Recruiting out-of-state? UNL football has been a quickly revolving door of out-of-state players for several years now. Even then, the rap on UNL is they look good getting off the bus and then fold like a house of cards on the field.

The past? Nobody is looking to erase UNL's past. Though the underlying criminal element of that past under Osborne was downright ugly. It's when UNL fans think that long ago past somehow defines the program today that people draw the line.

For at least the last 10 years UNL football has been looking up to NU football. That's an objective fact. One I never thought I would see 30 years ago.

Not that NU fans have all that much to brag about. We were awful last year and may repeat that ineptitude this year. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worse for NU this weekend in Dublin.

Just saying that UNL has a long ways to go to return to a top 10 ranking. And to this observer there is no discernable path from where you have been for a decade plus to where you think you are today.

GOUNUII
Nebraska will be ranked in the top 10 this year at some point within the first 9 games. A few years can change a lot. The portal will help Nebraska a lot going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Yes, the 1890s are similar to the 1990s - clown comment.
Now you finally see how your clown comment about once elite always elite sounds. Oh, but Neb recruits out of state players, which must mean you're elite. LOL. Carry on!

Reactions: drewjin
Northwestern football LMAO. Never had anything and never will. Must suck
Apparently not nearly as much as it sucks to have your whole existence wrapped up in something as disappointing and irrelevant as Nebraska football.

I'm sorry that Nebraska's mediocrity has struck a nerve for y'all, but unlike you, I don't have delusions that Northwestern is a national football power. But buck up...you've still got Warren Buffet and that's pretty cool.

Huskers lead series 6-5, and this is first on neutral site. On average, the eleven games are 28-22 Nebraska.

DateOpponent (record)ResultScoreSite
10/2/2021​
vs.*Northwestern (3-9)W
56​
7​
11/7/2020​
@*Northwestern (7-2)L
13​
21​
10/5/2019​
vs.*Northwestern (3-9)W
13​
10​
10/13/2018​
@*Northwestern (9-5)L
31​
34​
11/4/2017​
vs.*Northwestern (10-3)L
24​
31​
9/24/2016​
@*Northwestern (7-6)W
24​
13​
10/24/2015​
vs.*Northwestern (10-3)L
28​
30​
10/18/2014​
@*Northwestern (5-7)W
38​
17​
11/2/2013​
vs.*Northwestern (5-7)W
27​
24​
10/20/2012​
@*Northwestern (10-3)W
29​
28​
11/5/2011​
vs.*Northwestern (6-7)L
25​
28​
And one of those "wins" was a BS hail Mary play in the last seconds in Lincoln where a DB doesn't bat the ball down. So lets call it 5-5.

What I liked is that before last year, the Northwestern-Nebraska games were usually close and exciting. I consider the 2018 game one of my favorite games I've ever attended. It's because Northwestern has gotten a bit better and Nebraska and has gotten a lot worse. Now - NOW - the teams are relatively equal, with some years Northwestern being better and some years Nebraska being better. Obviously Nebraska played MUCH better last year. Hoping for some payback Saturday. And another fun and close game.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Northwestern recruits heavily out-of-state. That must mean their brand is pretty strong, too.

• Haha
Reactions: ricko654321
Northwestern recruits heavily out-of-state. That must mean their brand is pretty strong, too.

Yeah, we can debate over whether Nebraska is a "brand" or not, but recruiting out of state certainly is not what I would consider a good definition, considering lots of schools that are in states that aren't football hotbeds recruit out of state.

Reactions: drewjin
Well, this thread -- like so many of its type -- has devolved at times into rather juvenile disparagement from one side to the other. It's an aspect of fandom I don't get. I think Fitz should be a model; if he doesn't engage in "mine's bigger than yours" talk, neither should we. (That's very much a minority view, no doubt.)

Another thing: what sort of person goes on an opponent's board to talk smack? And if the outsider gets insulted in turn, what did he expect? It'd be like crashing a party to which one isn't invited and loudly putting down the host or the food or whatever. I personally think such childish contributions from "visitors" on this board should be ignored instead of satisfying their need for attention. But who knows, maybe others enjoy it

Well, this thread -- like so many of its type -- has devolved at times into rather juvenile disparagement from one side to the other. It's an aspect of fandom I don't get. I think Fitz should be a model; if he doesn't engage in "mine's bigger than yours" talk, neither should we. (That's very much a minority view, no doubt.)

Another thing: what sort of person goes on an opponent's board to talk smack? And if the outsider gets insulted in turn, what did he expect? It'd be like crashing a party to which one isn't invited and loudly putting down the host or the food or whatever. I personally think such childish contributions from "visitors" on this board should be ignored instead of satisfying their need for attention. But who knows, maybe others enjoy it
Hey, people go into bars that are known hangouts for fans of specific teams and root loudly for the opponent, even if they don't really care who wins the game.

The internet is a lot safer for those sorts of people .

Reactions: ricko654321
What should we be "obsessing" about then? Game film? Play calls? Dude... IT DON"T MATTER. We're fans. We can talk about multiple topics, IT"S NOT GOING TO CHANGE THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. Whatever, you do what Neb fans do. LOL and SMH

If you think obsessing over something so esoteric it’s going to change anything, you do you…quite strange. Meanwhile I’ll be pondering X’s & O’s… NU (Nebraska) by 14+.

Check back with ya in a few days to see how your branding obsession is going…

If you think obsessing over something so esoteric it’s going to change anything, you do you…quite strange. Meanwhile I’ll be pondering X’s & O’s… NU (Nebraska) by 14+.

Check back with ya in a few days to see how your branding obsession is going…

Frosty must be glad to get your help with the X's and O's. You do you. LOL. That'll make a huge difference in the game. Carry on, sport!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT