ADVERTISEMENT

Secho99

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know if I think this is a good idea, but the new 16-team "College Basketball Crown" tournament starting next year is guaranteeing at least two spots to B1G teams. The entire tournament is being held in Las Vegas, but it doesn't start until March 31 so teams will have likely been eliminated from their conference tournaments like 2-3 weeks before. No word on whether teams can opt out like a bunch of teams did with the NIT, but given how late it starts I'd assume a lot of players from the selected teams will already be in the portal.

Clearly this is not the postseason we want, but if we happen to slide back next year it could be the postseason we get.

This is dumb and I hate it. The NIT is also completely lame for power conference teams except for MAYBE the last four out who can try to win it to have a bit of “the committee ****ed up leaving us out” cred. Other than that, if you’re a major conference school why don’t you be quiet and let the little schools play in this Mickey Mouse stuff.

And this is even worse. A sub-NIT invitational for bottom half Big Ten teams that coincides with the elite 8 and final four? Literally what the hell.

, if you’re a major conference school why don’t you be quiet and let the little schools play in this Mickey Mouse stuff.
NIT actually moved away from this. No more auto qualifiers for reg season conf.champs.

It's the bball equivalent of minor fb bowls like the Detroit game

I don't know if I think this is a good idea, but the new 16-team "College Basketball Crown" tournament starting next year is guaranteeing at least two spots to B1G teams. The entire tournament is being held in Las Vegas, but it doesn't start until March 31 so teams will have likely been eliminated from their conference tournaments like 2-3 weeks before. No word on whether teams can opt out like a bunch of teams did with the NIT, but given how late it starts I'd assume a lot of players from the selected teams will already be in the portal.

Clearly this is not the postseason we want, but if we happen to slide back next year it could be the postseason we get.

To me as or right now this just seems another way a desperate "old" media is trying find any way - some way - to make ad dollars. If they can do this a bag a million or two, they are happy. That's all this is.

Reactions: NUCat320
Is it possible they are going to take defeated teams from the NCAA tournament field and possibly the NIT?
Make it into a "Shot at Redemption" tournament?

The timing (March 31) is after the Sweet 16 has been established in the NCAA tournament.

Seems likely to me. Fielding 16 teams might be a challenge though.

Reactions: WildcatWillie
So, if you get selected for this, does that mean you get to keep having organized practices for the month of March? That might be an advantage for programs especially for their younger guys, much like the extra December practices are for teams that make a football bowl.

I'm not sure why people hate these things. If there is a chance for my team to keep competing for something, I would follow it. If Northwestern makes the NIT next year, you better damn well believe I'll be rooting like crazy for them to win it.

There aren't enough Power 6 teams available for both the NIT and this thing.

Many P6 teams snubbed the NIT this season, but this new tournament is being organized by Fox, which has TV contracts with the three conferences with the auto-bids. Maybe those three conferences will strongly discourage opt-outs from their teams given that there's TV money involved?

On paper, I don't know why I would choose this thing over the NIT... unless there's some serious money backing it.

Is it possible they are going to take defeated teams from the NCAA tournament field and possibly the NIT?
Make it into a "Shot at Redemption" tournament?

The timing (March 31) is after the Sweet 16 has been established in the NCAA tournament.

Seems likely to me. Fielding 16 teams might be a challenge though.
This is only for teams that don't make the NCAA tournament.

I would think that the B1G's affiliation with FOX means that this tournament would take precedent over the NIT for B1G teams. I just don't know how you get teams to stick around for 2+ weeks to play in this thing when a bunch of teams won't stick around for 2 days to play in the NIT.

So, if you get selected for this, does that mean you get to keep having organized practices for the month of March? That might be an advantage for programs especially for their younger guys, much like the extra December practices are for teams that make a football bowl.

I'm not sure why people hate these things. If there is a chance for my team to keep competing for something, I would follow it. If Northwestern makes the NIT next year, you better damn well believe I'll be rooting like crazy for them to win it.
Teams are going to need the younger guys because everyone else will transfer by then.

This is only for teams that don't make the NCAA tournament.

I would think that the B1G's affiliation with FOX means that this tournament would take precedent over the NIT for B1G teams. I just don't know how you get teams to stick around for 2+ weeks to play in this thing when a bunch of teams won't stick around for 2 days to play in the NIT.
You're right. I should have read the article.

"Teams that did not qualify for the NCAA tournament will be eligible for the College Basketball Crown, with two automatic qualifiers coming from each participating conference and additional teams chosen by a committee."

So - my idea for a redemption tournament is pretty good.
(Pick from the good defeated NCAA tournament teams)

The NIT is cool and established. The championship game last night was phenomenal - much better than most NCAA games.

Unfortunately, this College Basketball Crown just blows in every way imaginable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT