ADVERTISEMENT

Newsome

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
With some chatter about him leaving early for the draft, failing to complete this game can’t help his draft status. Joseph looks like the better DB this year.

Reactions: Titanium999
Was he injured? I thought he finished the previous game? Practice injury?

With some chatter about him leaving early for the draft, failing to complete this game can’t help his draft status. Joseph looks like the better DB this year.

He looked good enough in the games played including against an all-american type in Bell that he might actually be projected top 3 rounds already. If so, totally sensible for him to go. If he doesn't, he could be an all-american next year.

Reactions: Titanium999
He could be anywhere from a day 2 pick to an UDFA. In the NFL at CB it is very much contingent on his speed and agility tests.

Groins take awhile to fully heal. He won’t perform well at combine if not fully healed. I think he has to come back, make it through more games and get to the combine to realize his potential draft value. Unless he is a tender and is not likely to ever be a high draft pick. We tend to overvalue our guy’s draft potential around here.

I think Newsome can be first three rounds when healthy so I would counsel him to return.

Some scouting notes on Newsome:

Newsome:

“Newsome is FULL of potential. He flashes strong traits in every game I covered. He’s an alpha on defense. He’ll shadow a team’s number one receiver and cover him consistently throughout the game. He’s comfortable playing on the left or right side. He seems most comfortable playing off coverage and in a 1/2 turn technique. This gives him the ability to use his instincts and reaction timing.

He does a good job reading the breaks of receivers and reading the QBs eyes. Newsome does a great job not biting on double moves. He stays square and has extremely quick feet. His hips are loose, which helps him transition quickly. He stays square to the receiver very nicely and isn’t afraid of getting physical if he has to.

He’s quick to click and close. He reads breaks well and drives on the ball very well. If he has a slip-up, his recovery quickness is there.

There is just too much to like in Newsome’s game. I’m expecting him to get talked about more soon. A few things that he could work on is that he gives up too much cushion at times. He backs too far off in zone coverage and can allow an underneath pass. He’s also not the fastest guy on the field. Guys will outrun him for a big gain. Cleaning up the little things and becoming more sound technique-wise could find him going day-two of the draft.”

Newsome's draft stock is soaring. Looking like a solid day 2 pick at this point.
I saw him as a late 2nd round pick (#63 to the Packers) in the most recent Athletic mock draft by Dane Brugler. I think he is solidly a day 2 pick, as long as he tests okay.

• Love
Reactions: epicbret
I think he's one of, if not the, best cover corners I've seen at NU. It was a weird but wonderful feeling this year knowing you had a total shutdown corner on one side.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I think he's one of, if not the, best cover corners I've seen at NU. It was a weird but wonderful feeling this year knowing you had a total shutdown corner on one side.

Yup, he was the best I've seen, perhaps surpassing McMannis, who was phenomenal and has had a long NFL career as a special teams beast. Newsome I think has the talent to be a very good cover corner at the NFL level.

You knew he was special when he was cited as the best in those all star camps in high school. I was convinced he was special when he was our only guy who could cover Ronale Moore on his breakout freshman game. Theran Johnson is giving me the same vibe.

I think the first of the DBs to show up at NU who looked and played like the DBs of now was Matt Harris. His athleticism and the way he played junped out from his first day in the program. I'm sad that the injuries ended his career.
Mos def. He had a future in the League. Like Newsome, he was an exceptionally fluid athlete. Easily NFL caliber.

I saw him as a late 2nd round pick (#63 to the Packers) in the most recent Athletic mock draft by Dane Brugler. I think he is solidly a day 2 pick, as long as he tests okay.

If he was a pick for GB, we'd certainly be talked about:

"It's 3rd and 11. Incredibly, three of the eleven players you're looking at are products of the Northwestern defense. A lot of folks sleep on Northwestern. The Green Bay Packers certainly aren't."

Reactions: ricko654321
If he was a pick for GB, we'd certainly be talked about:

"It's 3rd and 11. Incredibly, three of the eleven players you're looking at are products of the Northwestern defense. A lot of folks sleep on Northwestern. The Green Bay Packers certainly aren't."
Except Lancaster and Lowry would come off the field on 3rd and 11. But still.... there would be plays with all of them on the field occasionally and that would be very cool!

Reactions: SiameseCat
Except Lancaster and Lowry would come off the field on 3rd and 11. But still.... there would be plays with all of them on the field occasionally and that would be very cool!

Valid point.

Regardless . . . . ENOUGH ALREADY with our guys going to the Packers, fer Chrissakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT