ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

acedog

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Which underclassmen who did not play this year will contribute next season ?

I'd like to think Lees contributes despite just one season as a wideout. He's electric, and knows offense in general, so I think he gets himself into the mix. I'm sure he's bulking up as well. Chiaokhiao-Bowman could also be in the mix due to the need for play-makers in Carr's absence. I also really like Eshoo at superback, to perhaps get reps from Green. Yes, he's got two players ahead of him for the back-up role, but he's an able receiver and willing blocker with good size, and green lacks his size while Prather lacks his receiving ability. The Cats need several people to step-up as a targets, doesn't necessarily have to be receivers. That said I think Dickerson likely just explodes next year as a senior.

Paddy Fisher and/or Glackin will find the field with the attrition we saw this year.

Bullock likely only plays if he outplays the returning players. Same with Miller at tackle.

Which underclassmen who did not play this year will contribute next season ?

I think the guys poised to make an impact are as follows:

- I think Gunnar Vogel will emerge and take the starting RT spot. Great size and HS tape.
- Charlie Fessler, Riley Lees and Kyric McGowan step up and become part of WR rotation.
- Jake Saunders and Tommy Carnifax will help fill the departures in the DL rotation.
- Paddy Fisher will step into the LB rotation if Walker leaves.
- Lastly, Rod Campbell and Jeremy Larkin are too good to leave off the field. I know we have depth at those positions but I think these guys find their way onto the field one way or another.

- I think Gunnar Vogel will emerge and take the starting RT spot. Great size and HS tape.
- Charlie Fessler, Riley Lees and Kyric McGowan step up and become part of WR rotation.
- Jake Saunders and Tommy Carnifax will help fill the departures in the DL rotation.
- Lastly, Rod Campbell and Jeremy Larkin are too good to leave off the field. I know we have depth at those positions but I think these guys find their way onto the field one way or another.

Good list, but I think Saunders and Carnifax have a lot of guys to leap frog. Carnifax is much bigger than when he came in and I think both have a chance to be very good at some point, just next year will be tough barring injuries. There might be another O lineman besides Vogel that sees significant playing time in a rotation too. Otterman maybe.

I think it is a classic case of confusing one's Millers. I suggest that we give them different uniform numbers so we can tell them apart.

I'd like to think Lees contributes despite just one season as a wideout. He's electric, and knows offense in general, so I think he gets himself into the mix. I'm sure he's bulking up as well. Chiaokhiao-Bowman could also be in the mix due to the need for play-makers in Carr's absence. I also really like Eshoo at superback, to perhaps get reps from Green. Yes, he's got two players ahead of him for the back-up role, but he's an able receiver and willing blocker with good size, and green lacks his size while Prather lacks his receiving ability. The Cats need several people to step-up as a targets, doesn't necessarily have to be receivers. That said I think Dickerson likely just explodes next year as a senior.

Paddy Fisher and/or Glackin will find the field with the attrition we saw this year.

Bullock likely only plays if he outplays the returning players. Same with Miller at tackle.
Physically, Fisher looks ready. Wasn't Chiaokhiao-Bowman close to playing this year in fall camp ? Campbell at CB with Trae Williams moving back to safety. Mayo okay ?

Good list, but I think Saunders and Carnifax have a lot of guys to leap frog. Carnifax is much bigger than when he came in and I think both have a chance to be very good at some point, just next year will be tough barring injuries. There might be another O lineman besides Vogel that sees significant playing time in a rotation too. Otterman maybe.

Otterman was not even the top guard or tackle off the bench this year. In the few times we saw subs come in other than the top 6 OL, Thomas and Coverdale were the guys that came in. If there is a new OL that emerges as a surprise next year, I think it will come from the kids who will be RS freshmen next year. Vogel is my pick.

As far as the DL rotation is concerned, Fitz said earlier you need two sets and a spare. That means 10 DL will play next year if possible. You have Washington, Gaziano, Goens, Lancaster, Thompson, Miller and Wyatt as experienced returners. That means at least 2-3 additional DL will play. I think Saunders and Carnifax will be ready to contribute as RS freshmen with Sam Miller contributing as a possible true freshman. Mark Gooden is the only other returning scholarship DL on the roster and I think he needs another year in the weight room to contribute.

Otterman was not even the top guard or tackle off the bench this year. In the few times we saw subs come in other than the top 6 OL, Thomas and Coverdale were the guys that came in. If there is a new OL that emerges as a surprise next year, I think it will come from the kids who will be RS freshmen next year. Vogel is my pick.

As far as the DL rotation is concerned, Fitz said earlier you need two sets and a spare. That means 10 DL will play next year if possible. You have Washington, Gaziano, Goens, Lancaster, Thompson, Miller and Wyatt as experienced returners. That means at least 2-3 additional DL will play. I think Saunders and Carnifax will be ready to contribute as RS freshmen with Sam Miller contributing as a possible true freshman. Mark Gooden is the only other returning scholarship DL on the roster and I think he needs another year in the weight room to contribute.

Not trying to argue, just think another OL will emerge along with Vogel. Thomas probably is a more likely candidate but I could see a larger rotation on the OL next year if it isn't too disruptive to the continuity. Who would have predicted JB's emergence this year.

Carnifax sure looks ripped after a year to bulk up. Hope that translates to the field.

What about Oxley on the OL? It looked like he was poised to play yesterday after Olson pulled up lame. Whatever the case, I hope to see a number of new guys get reps....we need to keep pushing the starters. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

Don't forget about Jango...I expect him to be a big contributor (along with Fisher) on special teams at the very least.

If Walker departs, we'll really need Prater to fully recover from his injury and assume the role in the middle.

Prater is a senior, right? I think he's done. We are thin at LB, especially Walker leaves early. Probably looking at Fox, Hall and Walsh as starters, with Jango and Paddy in reserve, along with Josh Roberts.

Otterman was listed on the two deep several times this season at RG.

Prater is a senior, right? I think he's done. We are thin at LB, especially Walker leaves early. Probably looking at Fox, Hall and Walsh as starters, with Jango and Paddy in reserve, along with Josh Roberts.

Otterman was listed on the two deep several times this season at RG.

Whoops....you're right about Prater. Forgive my Ben Johnson moment. Guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Please don't go AWalker!

Reactions: DopeTonic
What about Oxley on the OL? It looked like he was poised to play yesterday after Olson pulled up lame. Whatever the case, I hope to see a number of new guys get reps....we need to keep pushing the starters. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

I liked Oxley a lot as an OL coming out of HS. I thought that playing DL his first two years set him back a lot. I was hoping he had taken to the OL enough this year to be in the mix but I don't think he was considered one of the top reserves during the season. I did not notice that he was close to coming in during the bowl game. If that is the case, maybe he has developed enough to be a viable consideration for next year. If so, I could easily see him and Doles manning the right side of the line which would give Vogel and the rest of the promising freshmen OL class one more year to develop physically and mentally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT