ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's record

jensberg

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2006
What do people think the worst case is assuming we keep losing key players and don't bring in Replacements from the portal including quarterback. Could we get back to just winning one or two games given how difficult schedule is? On a best case basis assuming we keep our remaining key players and bring in a couple of Oline and a quarterback could we get back to a bowl game?

What do people think the worst case is assuming we keep losing key players and don't bring in Replacements from the portal including quarterback. Could we get back to just winning one or two games given how difficult schedule is? On a best case basis assuming we keep our remaining key players and bring in a couple of Oline and a quarterback could we get back to a bowl game?
How about an 8-4 season

Expected wins (4):
v. Illinois
v. Miami (OH)
v. Indiana
v. TBD

Expected losses (4)
at Washington
at Iowa
at Michigan
v Ohio State

Tossups (4)
v Duke
at Maryland
at Purdue
v Wisconsin

A win v Duke should mean a 3-0 start, a potential top 25 ranking, and a MAJOR CHALLENGE for Washington in their B1G debut.

Many would move Iowa into the toss up category, or Purdue into the win category, but I like the 4-4-4 symmetry.

The quarterback situation is important. The WR situation is just as important, though hopefully Henning and Kirtz choose to return. I think/hope Cam Porter will be back. I think the defense will be as good.

I’ll say 7-5 again.

Reactions: rmndcat
Expected wins (4):
v. Illinois
v. Miami (OH)
v. Indiana
v. TBD

Expected losses (4)
at Washington
at Iowa
at Michigan
v Ohio State

Tossups (4)
v Duke
at Maryland
at Purdue
v Wisconsin

A win v Duke should mean a 3-0 start, a potential top 25 ranking, and a MAJOR CHALLENGE for Washington in their B1G debut.

Many would move Iowa into the toss up category, or Purdue into the win category, but I like the 4-4-4 symmetry.

The quarterback situation is important. The WR situation is just as important, though hopefully Henning and Kirtz choose to return. I think/hope Cam Porter will be back. I think the defense will be as good.

I’ll say 7-5 again.
Henning is back

A huge fire at a German sausage and cheese warehouse is a wurst käse scenario.

The "difficult schedule " is only like one "sure loss" worse than this year. I have faith that, after the outbound portal shakes out, we will retain and add enough talent to be similar to this year. Maybe a little worse, but with a coaching upgrade on O and ST, we will be ok. I predict 6 wins due to the vagabond status. 7 if we get another year at the old beige fortress.

Reactions: drewjin and rmndcat
Honestly, after this year I feel like you could throw a dart at a board and have a better shot than we do at predicting the record. Most of us were expecting 0-4 wins this year and it obviously went way differently than that.

We should have a stout defense with Braun in year 2 (and presumably McGarigle as DC under him), but offense is a lot of questionmarks at QB post-Bryant and with a new OC and OL coach.

A good defense can probably keep us in at least 6 to 8 games but not really worth predicting what we can win until we see what the offense looks like.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
Honestly, after this year I feel like you could throw a dart at a board and have a better shot than we do at predicting the record. Most of us were expecting 0-4 wins this year and it obviously went way differently than that.

We should have a stout defense with Braun in year 2 (and presumably McGarigle as DC under him), but offense is a lot of questionmarks at QB post-Bryant and with a new OC and OL coach.

A good defense can probably keep us in at least 6 to 8 games but not really worth predicting what we can win until we see what the offense looks like.
Sully, if he stays, is probably good enough to win 4 games. Maybe a portal guy or new coaching on offense will help..

Reactions: rmndcat and zeek55
I’m hopeful the new coaches will bring in some players too. On D, I think it can only improve. Schedule will be tougher. In the past, we typically beat one we shouldn’t. Next year will be Michigan - I hear their OL is gone and being filled with poorly coached replacements.

If we get to a bowl, I’ll be happy. Otherwise, Braun gets five years in my book to become relevant again.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
I’m hopeful the new coaches will bring in some players too. On D, I think it can only improve. Schedule will be tougher. In the past, we typically beat one we shouldn’t. Next year will be Michigan - I hear their OL is gone and being filled with poorly coached replacements.

If we get to a bowl, I’ll be happy. Otherwise, Braun gets five years in my book to become relevant again.
Yeah next 2 years (especially without a true home field), 5-6 wins with a bowl bid (from APR if 5 wins) is the main goal.

Recruiting should be back to levels of before this year and with a competent OC/DC we should be competitive even in a tougher conference setup.

I assume Braun will get at least a couple years to make this work; next 2 years judged with a handicap.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and rmndcat

Trying to predict the record at this point is an exercise in futility, there are so many unknowns with the coaching staff and player turnover.

Trying to predict the record at this point is an exercise in futility, there are so many unknowns with the coaching staff and player turnover.
Was about to say the same. 6-6 seems most likely to me, which would be awesome with that schedule, but we should revisit in a few months.

Reactions: drewjin and rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT