ADVERTISEMENT

No Acceptable Reason we are in this position

olshin

Oct 6, 2001
This is Collins' 7th season and 3rd since the breakthrough. There is no legitimate or acceptable reason for our program to be where it is. None. Not when we're getting lapped by Rutgers, by Penn State, by so many other non-basketball schools. The recruiting is better than Carmody, but ... jeez is THAT our bar? So far, Collins hasn't developed enough guys, hasn't maintained continuity in the program, and frankly hasn't hit on enough recruits to be successful.

He's not the guy we hoped. The question -- IS there one?

Reactions: IGNORE2
I’m not going to waste my time with a lengthy explanation so I will just say this:

Whatever happens this year does not matter. I’m ambivalent between 1 conference win or 6. It’s about the experience all the young guys get and how they develop. There is not a single “bust” in my eyes in the freshman/sophomore classes. That’s in contrast to Brown/Ash/Ivanauskas/Benson in past years. Collins whiffed on the entire 2016 class — i.e. the class that would be seniors this year. What do you expect?

If NU is this bad next year, then I’ll be right there with you.

For whatever it’s worth, I thought Collins coached a fantastic game tonight. Maybe his best of the season.

I know your post is about the bigger picture though. And it’s hard for me to argue with that- I said roughly the same thing after the Merrimack loss. But after watching two months of this team, I feel Collins deserves another year. You can see the pieces are there- now can he coach them up to their potential once they have more experience? That’s what I’m willing to give another year.

For whatever it’s worth, I thought Collins coached a fantastic game tonight. Maybe his best of the season.
I agree with this. Considering the lack of players combined with the foul trouble, I thought we had a nice plan and could have won with better rebounding. The only teensy criticism I'd have is that he should have rested Spencer for a couple minutes in that second half. It is clear he lost his legs, which is when we went through that scoreless drought. He couldn't attack the same way. He needed to rest a bit and be fresh to help us down the stretch.

Considering Boo wasn't playing and we got nothing from Nance we still could have won an away game against a big 10 team. That should give us some hope

I agree with this. Considering the lack of players combined with the foul trouble, I thought we had a nice plan and could have won with better rebounding. The only teensy criticism I'd have is that he should have rested Spencer for a couple minutes in that second half. It is clear he lost his legs, which is when we went through that scoreless drought. He couldn't attack the same way. He needed to rest a bit and be fresh to help us down the stretch.

You could absolutely be right, but I’d argue we’ve seen Spencer struggle late in other close games, even the ones where he had more rest.

I’m not knocking Spencer- he’s a WAY bigger part of this team than I ever thought he’d be- but he’s had late game struggles pretty consistently throughout the year.

This is Collins' 7th season and 3rd since the breakthrough. There is no legitimate or acceptable reason for our program to be where it is. None. Not when we're getting lapped by Rutgers, by Penn State, by so many other non-basketball schools. The recruiting is better than Carmody, but ... jeez is THAT our bar? So far, Collins hasn't developed enough guys, hasn't maintained continuity in the program, and frankly hasn't hit on enough recruits to be successful.

He's not the guy we hoped. The question -- IS there one?

yes there is a reason. We’re the youngest and most inexperienced team in the big ten. It’s a rebuilding year after the first crop of CC recruits who got to the tourney graduated. Now the next group will see if they can replicate that and along with the facilities get us another level higher as a program. We knew going in this year would be bad. The question is whether the young guys show promise. They do but are raw and inconsistent.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
He managed the players on the court pretty well. But I can’t consider his decision to spend the 1st 13 minutes in a zone as a smart decision.

Who knows, could have been worse in man to man. We might not have made a run at the 29-19 mark when we switched to man. But it was a poor decision.

I was worried when he sat Kopp and Spencer at the same time in the first half. They had been our offense. Other than them, we had 2 pts from Beran and 6 from Young that were bunnies from Spencer’s passes. But AJ scores a quick 5 and Spencer came back and was excellent to close the half

yes there is a reason. We’re the youngest and most inexperienced team in the big ten. It’s a rebuilding year after the first crop of CC recruits who got to the tourney graduated. Now the next group will see if they can replicate that and along with the facilities get us another level higher as a program. We knew going in this year would be bad. The question is whether the young guys show promise. They do but are raw and inconsistent.

Only, explain the last two years with said players.

He'll blame one of the years on All State Arena... Then, you'll say something about not recruiting well enough and having guys transfer...

Look, Collins bears a fair amount of responsibility for the position we are in. But there's no point is dwelling on the past.

Our current team is indeed quite young (310th in Div1 per kenpom). Nevertheless, we show promise at almost every position. It's going to be a tough season for wins, but we have a good young group that will start to understand what it takes to win in the Big Ten. If Collins can keep the team together and continue adding guys who can compete, the team should be good when Kopp and Nance are seniors...and hopefully reasonably competitive in the league when they are juniors. As long as the effort is there, I'll gladly continue watching (knowing all that while that we are going to finish this season with single-digit wins).

Last edited:

I know your post is about the bigger picture though. And it’s hard for me to argue with that- I said roughly the same thing after the Merrimack loss. But after watching two months of this team, I feel Collins deserves another year. You can see the pieces are there- now can he coach them up to their potential once they have more experience? That’s what I’m willing to give another year.
Would you be willing to say that he still has to figure out a better end game strategy?
The pattern suggest it is coaching and not a couple players who choke.

i actually thought the same. this was NUs best game of the year given the environment, injuries, and opponent. i thought beran gave great minutes and is showing he can contirbute. Jones is getting slightly better each time out and was able to give 14 minutes.

Young struggled with a NBA lottery pick - but thats how life at NU goes.

i thought NU lost because the Indiana bigs were able to just use their athleticism to make plays (especially tip backs). NU didn't get outcoached or in my opinion outplayed. they just weren't able to overcome the athletes on the other side. as the toughness and composure gets better - i think they will handle opponents like that better.

Nance is struggling for sure (his worst game of the year and worst since pitt) and seems like he is sped up and pressing. hoping he will figure it out soon.

It was great to see Turner back and contributing. hopefully that continues and the team can get Boo back and continue to see development from Beran and Jones.

Reactions: freewillie07
Would you be willing to say that he still has to figure out a better end game strategy?
The pattern suggest it is coaching and not a couple players who choke.

When we were down by 3 and had the ball with 30 second left, I thought he drew up a great play with Nance getting a good 3 point look that was set up by a screen. While Nance struggled, I had no problem with him taking that shot. He's going to be an important player for us if we are going to have success the next few years and hitting that would have been a huge confidence boost. Seth Davis made it sound like Nance taking that shot was not a set play, but I fully disagree.

Not saying our end of game situations have been good as a whole. Closing out close games has been a big problem- no way around it. I did think what we ran on that possession was pretty good though.

When we were down by 3 and had the ball with 30 second left, I thought he drew up a great play with Nance getting a good 3 point look that was set up by a screen.

I don't know if he drew a play or not. Was seating on the other side of the court. But I was happy to see Nance take it. Sure, he had a dreadful game. But it gave him experience.

Someday it will be handy to have a 6'10 guy as an option when we need to take a 3 pt with seconds left in the game. Significantly easier to get a good look than with a 6'2 guard.

most people on the board are bemoaning a roster of mostly underclassmen who are fighting and competing against high level competition, have been in positions to win, and losing by 2-8 points and we are angry at the state of northwestern basketball?

I am not one of them, but I think most people are frustrated that there are other young teams in the conference (granted none are as young as we are) that are winning the close games when we are not.

Surprisingly, despite being the only winless team in the conference, I am enjoying watching this team and look forward to each game. I think we have enough to jump up and beat just about anyone in this conference on a given night.

most people on the board are bemoaning a roster of mostly underclassmen who are fighting and competing against high level competition, have been in positions to win, and losing by 2-8 points and we are angry at the state of northwestern basketball?

A commonly held opinion on this board after the early season losses was that we'd see huge blowouts. This team is going toe to toe with the likes of MSU, Indiana and others.

I think the point that has been made....you've got to win more of the close ones....ok, any of the close ones...is legit.

Collins will be be coach next year and there needs to be clear progress. The team needs to be hunting for a post season birth. And when the Kopp and Nance class graduates, there can't be a Cliffs of Dover drop off. It's not going to draw recruits to see a long cycle that stretches from noncompetitive to competitive.

There's a range here:
1) Cheerleaders willing to accept anything on the floor
2) Skeptics, for whom nothing is good
3) Mixed

Personally I am a #3.

I think we have more potential than the team that made the tournament.

But I surely have doubts about our ability to develop said talent, as well as being competent on strategy (before and within game).

I think I heard that we are something like 1-11 in games decided by 5 pts or less

The issue is that we have a team of "mostly underclassmen" and a lacrosse player because CC has failed in roster management and construction. Yes, this is a young team, but we are relying on Freshmen and Sophomores because there were some serious recruiting misses and upperclassmen failed to develop/transferred.

In Year 7 of his tenure he needs to own the state of the roster. I truly think that next year should be make or break for him.

The unacceptable reason for NU's present is recruiting failures. Many of the promising players CCC has brought to NU have not grown into the players we all hoped they would become. There have been injuries and transfers. The Vassar Disaster cost the team a schollie for 4 years. NU was not one of the teams that can absorb a hit like that. But in spite of that, NU somehow made it to the tournament for the first time.

The problem with NU sports - NU's men's hoops in particular - is now and always has been recruiting. Not many coaches can recruit at NU. Of those that can, it seems most prefer to avoid the problem. We're lucky to have CCC at the wheel because he CAN recruit for NU.

I have hope that things will improve for NU men's hoops. Hard as hell to watch this team lose game after game, but that's the dues we'll be paying this season. One more successful recruiting class and the team can become competitive.

Reactions: Vassar69
Gotta take the long view right now. The pipeline looks promising. The roster is clear of some recruiting misfires, especially at guard, but the team is hamstrung by depth (injuries to Gaines and Buie are killers) and youthful inexperience. I am sure they were pretty gassed last night late in the game.

I think everyone on that roster can be a meaningful contributor. I could not say that about past teams. They just have to keep pounding the rock. We have to patient for this year and into next.

The unacceptable reason for NU's present is recruiting failures. Many of the promising players CCC has brought to NU have not grown into the players we all hoped they would become. There have been injuries and transfers. The Vassar Disaster cost the team a schollie for 4 years. NU was not one of the teams that can absorb a hit like that. But in spite of that, NU somehow made it to the tournament for the first time.

The problem with NU sports - NU's men's hoops in particular - is now and always has been recruiting. Not many coaches can recruit at NU. Of those that can, it seems most prefer to avoid the problem. We're lucky to have CCC at the wheel because he CAN recruit for NU.

I have hope that things will improve for NU men's hoops. Hard as hell to watch this team lose game after game, but that's the dues we'll be paying this season. One more successful recruiting class and the team can become competitive.

Not looking to relitigate the Vassar case.

The only recruit impacted by Vassar was Kipper Nichols, IIRC. I like Kipper who is in his fifth year of college ball at U of I. However, I don't know that Kipper's less than 4 pts and 2 rebounds a game in 15 minutes off the bench this year would have changed NU's fortunes. Nor last year's...nor the year prior.

It's been something like 3 years running....possibly 4...that NU hasn't used all its schollies.

A handful of near misses at the guard spot.

Yes, for a million a year the coach has to own it.

On my more optimistic days I look at Collins and think this is a first-time head coach who had some great success way faster than anyone, including him, probably expected. That may have messed with his thinking, his planning and his expectations which perhaps caused him to make some mistakes when it came to roster construction. We then fell into a hole from which he is doing his best to get us back out. I hope that he has learned what went wrong and is on his way to building more sustainable success.

On my darker days (such as right after another crushing loss) I wonder WTF this guy is doing?! How does a legendary Chicago guard not recruit any damn capable guards? And WTF happened to that team in the post-NCAA season??!! That team should have gone back to the tournament and firmly established our program as a destination school for high-quality recruits! Now its the damn dark ages all over! And what is that spot on my leg? Is it getting bigger? I think it has gotten bigger. Oh my god... do I have cancer? Am I dying? Is my wife going to leave me? Is my kid going to go to Ohio State? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But... that's just on my darker days.

We have been desperately short at the guard position and injuries have had a huge part as well. We have had trouble at the PG position and what happened with Lathon and Bamisle have had ripple effects. In the last game we were down three guards out of a total of 5 on the roster. Even now we are down two. Most of our players, even the top rated ones, tend to be more developmental projects. Higher ceiling but needing development to get there and we are extremely young right now.

Gotta take the long view right now. The pipeline looks promising. The roster is clear of some recruiting misfires, especially at guard, but the team is hamstrung by depth (injuries to Gaines and Buie are killers) and youthful inexperience. I am sure they were pretty gassed last night late in the game.

I think everyone on that roster can be a meaningful contributor. I could not say that about past teams. They just have to keep pounding the rock. We have to patient for this year and into next.

He's going after some big-time recruits for next year. He needs to get a couple of them.

We have been desperately short at the guard position and injuries have had a huge part as well. We have had trouble at the PG position and what happened with Lathon and Bamisle have had ripple effects..
Bamisile hasn't even graduated high school. How could that affect NU's season? And NU replaced Bam with Berry who seems to be a diamond in the rough.

Why is it a roster so young? No open schollies? Did we lose talent to the pros? Has CCC not been here long enough to have filled out the classes each year and supplemented the occasional blip through the transfer portal?

Reactions: Vassar69

If we go back, how many times has the 'future looked promising' in the eyes of this Board? E-cat? I recall looking forward to Mac's Jr and Sr years as the time we would finally arrive. How did those work out? And therein lies the problem, those Cheerleaders, as described above, are seemingly content with the potential of the future whenever the present becomes clear. Then, every repeats. Endlessly.

We have been desperately short at the guard position and injuries have had a huge part as well. We have had trouble at the PG position and what happened with Lathon and Bamisle have had ripple effects. In the last game we were down three guards out of a total of 5 on the roster. Even now we are down two. Most of our players, even the top rated ones, tend to be more developmental projects. Higher ceiling but needing development to get there and we are extremely young right now.

That is not a good excuse. First, Lathon would have been a true frosh last year - I have complained about the lack of guard depth for a long time. If you recall, the responses included - no one would come here because of Mac. CCC dropped the ball on guard depth for years - going back before Lathon. But it also highlights CCC - one plan - Mac, Lathon, Bam - and when it doesn't work out, no good back up plan. And schollies sit idle.

A coach making multi-millions needs to do better. If you say it's impossible, then stop wasting millions on trying to do the impossible, accept what you believe to be a truth and reduce the playing level and budget for the team to match what you think they can meaningful compete within.

...we are angry at the state of northwestern basketball?

I have given my point of view on looking past issues Collins has created and supporting this young team as long as the effort is there...

That said, we are looking at the distinct prospect of finishing with single-digit wins this season. That is not good, no matter how you slice it. In a coach's 7th season after making the Tournament and getting a new area, it is particularly galling. When I was in school (1991-1995), we finished with single digit wins 3 of 4 seasons. Fortunately, times have changed! Since we fired Byrdsong at the end of the 1996-97 season, we have only finished with single digit wins twice:
* Under O'Neil in 1999-00. He was fired at the end of that season.
* Under Carmody in 2007-08. Like the situation now, we had a young team (led by Juice, Craig Moore and Kevin Coble--and Shurna signed fo the next year) and NU kept the coach. We wound up making the NIT the following 4 years--and it was the most successful 4-year stretch in NU basketball history. Nevertheless, a lot of people still think that Carmody should have been fired after 2007-08.

I believe that most fans will give Collins a pass this season due to our the NCAA Tournament invitation and the fact that we have a young, seemingly talented team. But, make no mistake, there is good reason for fans to be angry about the state of Northwestern basketball. Staying close with and then blowing a big lead to Indiana--which kenpom currently ranks as the 3rd worst B1G team (after Nebraska and us)--is no moral victory.

Of course, I am hoping that Collins and the team get through this and improve to make the next 4 years the new most successful stretch in NU basketball history!

If we go back, how many times has the 'future looked promising' in the eyes of this Board? E-cat? I recall looking forward to Mac's Jr and Sr years as the time we would finally arrive. How did those work out? And therein lies the problem, those Cheerleaders, as described above, are seemingly content with the potential of the future whenever the present becomes clear. Then, every repeats. Endlessly.

I hear you, but I am not convinced we have reached the rinse cycle on this. I think our recruiting has improved, but we haven't found a replacement for BMAC. First the Lathon Bomb hit us, then we score Joe Bam, a real find, only to lose him. But inking Ty Berry after finding Boo makes me feel that the curse of Johnny Vassar might be over.

We were all pretty surprised by what happened after our NCAA season. No one expected the wheels to come off like they did. Internal dissension and Allstate probably spoiled what could have been a second tourney appearance.

But today I can look at the roster and honestly say I don't see any dead weight. Injuries continue to plague us, but that's just bad luck and part of the game. I certainly can be patient this year.

I hear you, but I am not convinced we have reached the rinse cycle on this. I think our recruiting has improved, but we haven't found a replacement for BMAC. First the Lathon Bomb hit us, then we score Joe Bam, a real find, only to lose him. But inking Ty Berry after finding Boo makes me feel that the curse of Johnny Vassar might be over.

We were all pretty surprised by what happened after our NCAA season. No one expected the wheels to come off like they did. Internal dissension and Allstate probably spoiled what could have been a second tourney appearance.

But today I can look at the roster and honestly say I don't see any dead weight. Injuries continue to plague us, but that's just bad luck and part of the game. I certainly can be patient this year.

Listen, I hope they develop - though CCC doesn't have a very strong history in developing players so - I can't say I am high on Nance anymore, I thought Greer was too small and young and should have been redshirted, or waited for his proper year, or both. I think he is PTSD damaged and will not amount to more than a depth piece on a good team.

The return of a damaged Gaines doesn't inspire me either. On the fence with Kopp - would be higher if the staff had a proven record developing players.

And, of course, we always have those extra, wasted schollies lying around...

The issue is that we have a team of "mostly underclassmen" and a lacrosse player because CC has failed in roster management and construction. Yes, this is a young team, but we are relying on Freshmen and Sophomores because there were some serious recruiting misses and upperclassmen failed to develop/transferred.

In Year 7 of his tenure he needs to own the state of the roster. I truly think that next year should be make or break for him.

As long as this argument acknowledges the loss of the team's best defensive player as well as probably its best player, I have no problem with this.

But that's always lost, isn't it?

Hopefully he is learning to manage the roster. It sure was not helped when the Lathon and Bamisle things happened but he is seemingly better adapting to it now. Vassar and Brown were attempts to get around the limitations in recruiting but just did not work out. Guys that we have now and coming in seem to be better fits and better roster management going forward.

That is not a good excuse. First, Lathon would have been a true frosh last year - I have complained about the lack of guard depth for a long time. If you recall, the responses included - no one would come here because of Mac. CCC dropped the ball on guard depth for years - going back before Lathon. But it also highlights CCC - one plan - Mac, Lathon, Bam - and when it doesn't work out, no good back up plan. And schollies sit idle.

A coach making multi-millions needs to do better. If you say it's impossible, then stop wasting millions on trying to do the impossible, accept what you believe to be a truth and reduce the playing level and budget for the team to match what you think they can meaningful compete within.
A lot of us have had issues with guard depth for a lot longer than CCC has been here. Take a look back. Generally we would only have one guy that could play PG on the roster at a time. Only thing that kept us muddling through is they remained fairly healthy but lately we have not been so lucky. I would guess you would find admissions as a big part of the problem and with a limited target pool, every miss is magnified. Vassar and Brown were attempts to get around it but they did not work out. One thing to get the 6-8-6-9 SF/PF as more of them available. But it would seem that of BIG ready guards, the talent pool that can get through admissions is much more restrictive. But now, CCC is getting more regular at landing guards and hopefully it continues going forward

Reactions: TheC
Good lord. Can someone please explain exactly how they expect Collins to “own” this roster? Why does that mean? What makes you think he hasn’t? Do you want him to forfeit his salary or something?

And as for the open scholarships: would you rather Collins fill them out with marginal Big Ten players, or use them on grad transfers and bet on himself, the guys he’s recruited and the facilities to bring in better players in the future? There’s no guarantee it will pay off, of course, but I don’t want him reaching down the offer list just for the sake of filling every spot.

come on

Good lord. Can someone please explain exactly how they expect Collins to “own” this roster? Why does that mean? What makes you think he hasn’t? Do you want him to forfeit his salary or something?

And as for the open scholarships: would you rather Collins fill them out with marginal Big Ten players, or use them on grad transfers and bet on himself, the guys he’s recruited and the facilities to bring in better players in the future? There’s no guarantee it will pay off, of course, but I don’t want him reaching down the offer list just for the sake of filling every spot.

come on
I think the point is that after 7 years, there are no more excuses for this coaching staff. Listen, I think we all get that Northwestern is the toughest job in the Big Ten, and probably one of the 10 toughest in America, all things considered. I'm certainly not ready to fire Collins, largely for two reasons: he seems to be a decent recruiter, and I have absolutely no faith NU could hire anybody better. But his record in close games (1-11 in games decided by 5 points or less over the last five years), his inability to recruit a full roster of Big Ten capable players, and the lack of development by the players he does recruit all add up to six seasons of no post-season - - and that "one shining moment." Discouraging...

NU is young because of previous recruiting misses. CCC is trying to balance it not right now. Next year is looks more balanced.

Freshman- Berry, Nicholson
Sophomore- Buie, Young, Beran, Jones
Junior- Nance, Kopp, Audige, Greer, Gaines (assuming Medical RS)
Senior- none or Grad transfer

He is is trying to rectify the situation where we always have some upperclassmen leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT