ADVERTISEMENT

Not a fan of the Holiday Bowl

San Diego is a great city with great weather, but that is about the only positive.

Too far/expensive to visit for most people this time of year, FS1 on NYE means 10 people will watch. Zero chance my wife lets me watch this game.

Im sure Utah fans feel the same way, but this game is an awful consolation prize to the Rose Bowl.
You can come visit me in Europe where the game will start after midnight. You can have your New Year's Eve dinner/festivities, make sure your wife has a couple extra glasses of bubbly to get her to sleep more easily, and then settle back and watch the Cats win.

At least that's my plan.

Nope, most wives or significant others would understand we are fanatical Cat supporters and sit down and enjoy the game. Haven't you suffered through some Movie or Dinner Party that you wished you could skip?

Yes I have, more than I care to admit to. One of the reasons I have an ex is. Her interests virtually always trumped mine.

Reactions: Fitz51
Like Pittcat’s wife, my wife is an awesome NUFB fan and prefers to wear NU stuff over her USC things.
She loves going to NU games but would not attend USC games even when I go with my Trojan friends and beg her to go with me.
All family schedules have been set around this game. And I have a large family.
We are darn excited to see the cats play in California!
FS1 sucks as we all agree..
I thought I had a mixed marriage by marrying a Badger. She sounds exceptional, especially for a USC alumna.

Actually, the Utah fans are pretty excited about this game and its location. The school has already exceeded its allotment and gone back for more tickets. The bowl has a lot of history, its own balloon parade, and an iconic location along with affordable hotels and as SeattleCat noted, easy and convenient travel connections for those of us on the West Coast. Hard to argue the TV point, but FS1 is at least FOX affiliated so there should be carry over publicity. This year the ESPN game that overlaps will likely not be as well viewed as last year's Alamo Bowl competition.
Utah used to be in the WAC Mountain West conferences so fans are accustomed to coming to San Diego for football and basketball games to play San Diego State. Might have been a factor in their selection for the Holiday Bowl as the PAC12 rep rather than Oregon.

You can come visit me in Europe where the game will start after midnight. You can have your New Year's Eve dinner/festivities, make sure your wife has a couple extra glasses of bubbly to get her to sleep more easily, and then settle back and watch the Cats win.

At least that's my plan.

Any suggestions on places to catch the game in London? Heading there tomorrow on a family trip.

Unfortunately, I don’t know where the game my be showing. Your best bet is BTN2GO International. You can purchase a daily pass once you are in the UK.

I think there is a technique along with some newfangled equipment by which one can record the game, then after the NYE dinner or party one can sit by oneself with the TV and the wife/kids/girlfriend(s) bedded down, and drain any half-empty champagne and beer bottles that happen to be sitting around… along with a bowl of Cheese-Its and a cigar, of course. Commercial free, no less, and with the opportunity to fast forward through inane comments from the broadcast team and studio mopes.
If not, we shall invent this.

You could always do what I did and choose to be gay. Then you get to have a husband who, as a man, is genetically required to like sports.
Villox, great meeting you at the Purple Party in Indy. I have been married for 30 years, and since day 1, neither my wife or I have wanted to brave the elements (nut cases/drunks) on NYE so this year will be a football game instead of a Netflix/Redbox movie. I usually have my kids (now grand kids) over for movie night, so have no problem brainwashing them on NU football. Really, people still go out on NYE?

Reactions: Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT