ADVERTISEMENT

Nov. 3, 2018: Notre Dame at Ryan Field

That's a great home slate for 2018. Evanston will be be rockin' (for Evanston). I am not thrilled about a bye before the hated Wolverinz come to town, but that's quibbling. I love a home game vs. the Badgers before Halloween, and the November 3 tilt vs. Notre Dumb should be a national event. I hope we show Micah what he missed.

That is a brutal schedule, especially without JJTBC and possibly Thorson. We could struggle to make a bowl game. But still glad we're scheduling up and not down.

Reactions: aquacat
That is a brutal schedule, especially without JJTBC and possibly Thorson. We could struggle to make a bowl game. But still glad we're scheduling up and not down.
Not sure it's "brutal" at all. We get Nebby, ND, Michigan and Sconnie at home. Toughest road game is Iowa or Michigan State. No OSU. No Penn St. No Illinois State.

That's a great home slate for 2018. Evanston will be be rockin' (for Evanston). I am not thrilled about a bye before the hated Wolverinz come to town, but that's quibbling. I love a home game vs. the Badgers before Halloween, and the November 3 tilt vs. Notre Dumb should be a national event. I hope we show Micah what he missed.

...assuming that he ends up in South Bend.

Not sure it's "brutal" at all. We get Nebby, ND, Michigan and Sconnie at home. Toughest road game is Iowa or Michigan State. No OSU. No Penn St. No Illinois State.
Some "sure" home wins, Akron, Duke and Illinois and Rutgers on the road.

Some "sure" home wins, Akron, Duke and Illinois and Rutgers on the road.

Duke, Akron, and Illinois are all home games.

EDIT: Misread your post. But don't know if I'd call Duke a "sure win" at this point.

Duke, Akron, and Illinois are all home games.

EDIT: Misread your post. But don't know if I'd call Duke a "sure win" at this point.

Don't sleep on the Zips!

preakron1-e1331429151479.jpg

Looks like Akron is the new addition to the schedule. Earlier preliminary schedules had a game at Rice, but that was scrapped due to the desire to have seven home games each season. Bummer.

I enjoyed our win over the Irish in SBend in person. Hopefully, I can make it to Evanston to cheer us on for another big win. We always seem to play well against ND. I'll have to bring my little sister- she's a ND grad and got the tickets to the SB game.

Well, from an attendance standpoint, it ought to be a great year. Possibly 4 sellouts, and ILL usually is a well-attended game.

ND would have fired Kelly by now if they were going to, and all the HC openings are filled. Is there some other reason to believe that Jones might flip some where?

He'll be the coach this season but he will get fired if he doesn't win at least 8 games this year. If that happens, their whole recruiting class will be up for grabs.

I will gladly celebrate my birthday at Ryan field watching us beat notre dame. Plus 30th reunion year. Might be multiple Chicago visits next fall. That schedule is easily the best in Evanston in 30plus years.

Who is Kelly going to blame when he loses us in Evanston? He always seems to blame anyone but himself for ND's losses. I think he blamed his loss to Duke last year to the creepy Leprachon mascot of theirs. I'd love to see Kelly booted out of SB. The only problem is that there is a weasel in Minny that I predict will be ND's next HC. And with him, ND might actually be an above average team?

Who is Kelly going to blame when he loses us in Evanston? He always seems to blame anyone but himself for ND's losses. I think he blamed his loss to Duke last year to the creepy Leprachon mascot of theirs. I'd love to see Kelly booted out of SB. The only problem is that there is a weasel in Minny that I predict will be ND's next HC. And with him, ND might actually be an above average team?

Kelly won't be around for the 2018 game. I don't think the weasel from Minny is ND material. His Schtick would wear thin after a few inevitable upsets. Like it or not, they still can interest a top 10 head coach.

To be honest, I hate playing teams that we are heavily favored to win against. Why is it that we don't show up to play well against them? ISU, New Hampshire, EMU, Army etc.. I look forward to playing teams that we are "pick em'" or slight underdogs. So many times we've played down to lower teams, I guess I've got some PTSD. I loath reading the post-mortem beat writers in the Tribune on Sunday mornings the day after. Remember that year when we played one of the "toughest" schedules in the country- I think it was Colter's junior year? We played and beat convincingly teams like Vandy etc. and had one of the best seasons in our history. I see similiarities in the 2018 schedule to that year. I think we will thrive that year if we have Clayton for his senior year back with Moten as #1 RB or at least some more studs in the pipeline.

Kelly won't be around for the 2018 game. I don't think the weasel from Minny is ND material. His Schtick would wear thin after a few inevitable upsets. Like it or not, they still can interest a top 10 head coach.
After the epic debate Glades and I had about whether or not one could paddle from South Bend to greater Minneapolis, PJ would be challenged to row his boat up the Illinois/Kankakee watershed to reach South Bend. The upper Kankakee effectively becomes a drainage ditch on the outskirts of South Bend, so PJ and his Fleckonauts would be knee deep in muck by the time the golden dome is in sight.

Hang on, I thought Notre Dame was going to cancel that game and there was no way they would ever play at Ryan Field because they're too afraid of losing to us.
Still wondering if they will show up or pull and Vandy. Why would they be afraid to losing to NU at Ryan Field? Especially sinceTtey lost the last two times to the Wildcats in South Bend.

After the epic debate Glades and I had about whether or not one could paddle from South Bend to greater Minneapolis, PJ would be challenged to row his boat up the Illinois/Kankakee watershed to reach South Bend. The upper Kankakee effectively becomes a drainage ditch on the outskirts of South Bend, so PJ and his Fleckonauts would be knee deep in muck by the time the golden dome is in sight.

Portage the boat

Reactions: michnittlion

This should be a very good home attendance total year.
Duke should be ok because it is the home opener after what I'm hoping will be a very successful 2017 campaign. Akron will be a dud, attendance wise I suppose, unless we kill Purdue and Duke and are highly ranked due to the previous year's success. Badgers, U of M, Nebraska and ND should be sell outs.
I wonder if this could be the best attendance in the Fitz era?

We will be starting 11 seniors this year so 2018 will be a big rebuilding year, unfortunately. And I doubt Thorson comes back if he performs just a bit better than last year. Not saying that we wont have talent but this is the year we have to make our break for a division crown.

I will gladly celebrate my birthday at Ryan field watching us beat notre dame. Plus 30th reunion year. Might be multiple Chicago visits next fall. That schedule is easily the best in Evanston in 30plus years.

OK fellow '88er, see you at our 30th - I'm thinking Oct 13 vs UNL (guessing they wouldn't push it to 27th vs Wisco). Will probably miss Domers and go to east coast game in scenic Piscataway the following week.

We will be starting 11 seniors this year so 2018 will be a big rebuilding year, unfortunately. And I doubt Thorson comes back if he performs just a bit better than last year. Not saying that we wont have talent but this is the year we have to make our break for a division crown.

On this we agree.

This is probably true but at some point NU will be more consistent year to year. We have had solid recruiting over the last 4 years and we should be able to maintain a higher level of competitiveness than we, as fans, are used to.

Right now we can only see that we are losing a few dynamic starters who have preformed well in previous years. What we can't see is the four or 6 younger guys who will be really solid for us this year. We can't quite lean into the idea that our two, two year grad transfers, could be lights out or that the Miller boys (or someone else) will turn into early round draft picks.

One day I believe us older guys especially will look at each other and say, "Holy crap, I though we were good last year."

My 40 yardline seats may be available for ND- I expect my cat may be delivering about then

Still wondering if they will show up or pull and Vandy. Why would they be afraid to losing to NU at Ryan Field? Especially sinceTtey lost the last two times to the Wildcats in South Bend.

They won't pull out. If they do, I don't know what the buyout is they'd have to pay NU. Although, If NU wins that game they'd probably wouldn't play NU again for a longtime

What I find interesting is that the Big Ten website says we have Stanford at Ryan Field in 2019......but we don't. Clearly an error.

This is probably true but at some point NU will be more consistent year to year. We have had solid recruiting over the last 4 years and we should be able to maintain a higher level of competitiveness than we, as fans, are used to.

Right now we can only see that we are losing a few dynamic starters who have preformed well in previous years. What we can't see is the four or 6 younger guys who will be really solid for us this year. We can't quite lean into the idea that our two, two year grad transfers, could be lights out or that the Miller boys (or someone else) will turn into early round draft picks.

One day I believe us older guys especially will look at each other and say, "Holy crap, I though we were good last year."

Totally agree. Clayton Thorson will be tough to replace, but I think the combination of Moten III, Larkin and Brown is going to be stellar. Wide receivers will be more mature and our defense will be lights out. The defensive line is going to be a strength for the next 5 years at least, the linebackers are being replenished with a strong haul of recruits to augment Fisher, Glackin and others. DBs and safeties will also be strong. Thrilled with Ruiz, Newsome, Bonner, McDonald and others.

The future is bright. Go 'Cats!

ND would have fired Kelly by now if they were going to, and all the HC openings are filled. Is there some other reason to believe that Jones might flip some where?
No they are very unlikely to fire him before the season but that does not mean he is not gone by year end or slightly after. That may be too late to change the recruitment, but maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT