ADVERTISEMENT

NU 13 Miami 6 - game thoughts

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
Overall, a very solid performance, especially from the defense. When you consider that we fumbled away a TD on the 1 yard line and almost handed them a FG with botched snaps, and that they were MAC champs last year returning a QB and 8/11 starters on defense, I’d say it was an impressive showing.

Offense-
QB Mike Wright is very quick when he scrambles. I like that we didn’t overuse that though, he’s trying to be a passer first. The throwing didn’t look very pretty but the results weren’t bad yday. Doesn’t seem to be much zip on the ball at all and some of the mid range ones came out wobbly. The accuracy was overall pretty good yday, he was reliable in completing the hooks and outs to the outside that the Miami DBs were giving us with their coverage. When he throws over the middle it makes me nervous haha. Worth keeping in mind though that this Miami D gave up only 255 ypg and 15 ppg last year so they are pretty good. I saw some hints of trickery and creative play calling from Lujan, although the wrinkles didn’t work that well in week 1, eg with the botched end around / throwback pass (I think that’s what we were trying to do to Wright). Will be curious to see how we do against B1G competition.

Elsewhere, I like our collection of skill position players. Kirtz looks like a complete WR and Henning is talented too, gotta find better ways to get him in space because it seems like their D was ready for the scrimmage passes and jet sweep to him. Cam Porter is a very good back and Komolafe a nice change of pace. Aside from the QB development, the thing that will probably hold us back on O is once again the OL. Pass protection was decent, but we struggled to open up holes in the run game. I didn’t watch the OL closely enough to identify which guys were stronger or weaker. A bit more success later as the game went on, but B1G teams will probably have more depth. An OL that struggles to create yards on the ground + a QB without a ton of zip on his passes may make it hard to score more than 20 ppg. Countering that though, we did seem to develop rhythm in H2 by mixing up the play calling (ie don’t run on 1st and 10, throw outside routes against the soft coverage and then run on 2nd down / when they aren’t expecting it). Also we stopped shooting ourselves in the foot with botched snaps and penalties.

In conclusion, there is potential and promising signs on offense, but plenty to work on.

Defense- that was an A effort. Only 267 yards on 61 plays and just 1.7 ypc rushing (granted that’s skewed by the 4 sacks but that’s a good thing to see too!). The DL held up very stoutly against the run and our pass rush package on 3rd down got more pressure than we usually see. I’m sure we will find tougher competition in the B1G but it was nice to see 4 and 5 Saka and Soares speeding around the edge and running stunts on 3rd downs. Najee Story a nice sack too.

Our LB pair of Mueller and Mac Uihlein looked really strong. Solid tackling is always nice to see in game 1 (let’s not bring back Duke nightmares from the past) but good anticipation too - Uihlein darting forward for a sack when Gabbert attempted to scramble, Mueller with a couple nice plays in pass coverage. They didn’t rack up the huge tackle numbers that you sometimes see from NU LBs but IMO that is because Miami couldn’t sustain drives so their play count was lower, and the DL was doing a better job of mucking things up at the line. That may change against B1G OL but our front 6 was dominant yesterday.

Onto the secondary. Sad to lose Garnett Hollis to NIL $$ at WV along with Jaheem Joseph and then Rod Heard to ND, but this group held up fairly well. 10 Theran Johnson stepped into the #1 CB role nicely - we mostly left him on his own over there and they didn’t complete anything aside from short passes against him (and not even much of that?). They mostly seemed to target 12 Evan Smith. He was playing soft and tentative and had safety help over the top. I would say he struggled through the first 3 quarters. But then he made the great play for a pick and after that seemed to play with more assertiveness. He’s young and so it’s a pretty good start overall, plenty of time to grow and develop. Braden Turner showed some quickness and burst at the nickel corner / star LB spot (not sure what NU calls that). Solid in run support. Okay in coverage. And then I love our safeties - Coco and Devin Turner are great. I think we should start calling it the law firm of Turner, Smith, Johnson, Azema and Turner. Lots of youth aside from Coco but I think lots of potential. Plus Rob Fitz jumps in with the game sealing Int!!

Overall takeaway- this is a solid and well coached team that came out prepared for game 1. Plenty of room for development, especially on offense and with some of the youth in the secondary, but a promising start and most importantly we got the W to go 1-0. Our conference schedule is tough with Mich OSU Wash Wiscy Iowa, but I think we have a decent chance to get 6-7 wins and make a bowl game.

Go Cats!!

PS the stadium setting on the lake looks beautiful on TV, hopefully they get the down and distance thing settled before I make the trip to Chicago for Indiana on Oct 5!

Last edited:
Both Uihlein sacks were beautiful. Coverage sacks where his instincts allowed him to time his pass rush right.

He was very very good.

I don’t remember Braden Turner as a recruit, or seeing him on the field last season. He definitely belongs.

(From Alabama. I hope we can keep a consistent GA/AL pipeline coming. Good inroads in the South.)

Great summary as always. I get the sense that Lujan isn’t going to work miracles from the start but he has some pieces to work with and I agree I liked some of the non-predicable play calling.

One that stood out to me was going all-in on a Cam Porter run on 3rd-and-9. He was clearly just told to hit the hole and GO. I am not smart enough to know if Lujan telegraphed pass to confuse the defense but whatever it was it worked to perfection.

Great summary as always. I get the sense that Lujan isn’t going to work miracles from the start but he has some pieces to work with and I agree I liked some of the non-predicable play calling.

One that stood out to me was going all-in on a Cam Porter run on 3rd-and-9. He was clearly just told to hit the hole and GO. I am not smart enough to know if Lujan telegraphed pass to confuse the defense but whatever it was it worked to perfection.
Yeah - when Miami wasn’t set up to defend run first (which they were on most 1st downs with LB and safeties crowding toward the box while CBs played soft on the outside) we actually generated a couple nice chunk runs when they were looking pass. I think Lujan adjusted to throw outside more on 1st downs and invert the play calling cadence so to speak - that’s when we found better rhythm on offense in the 2nd half. Nice work by him and nice execution by Wright and the WRs.

Btw on defense we need to do better against the bubble screens. I couldn’t tell if we made an alignment adjustment against that formation later on in the game because they seemed to stop running them, but it was quite frustrating to give up 7-12 easy yards due to the 3 on 2 setup if their WR were just able to hold a block for 2 seconds

Very good write up on the game.

I'm optimistic on Lujan though it's really about getting the personnel right (QB and OL are so important as they've always been) over time (which may take multiple seasons). I think he'll be able to get the most out of what we have and hopefully cleaning up some of the mistakes and getting to a point where we get more drives like those 2 that led to the TD and the near TD drive that ended with a fumble on the 1 yard line (before and after half time) is what we want to see.

As you mentioned, this will come down to OL performance, especially against Duke and the Big Ten teams that are beatable. Getting Wright and Porter time and running lanes is going to be so crucial to the offense on this team.

But even if we look like a classic Northwestern D-first team, as long as we can put up 20 ppg in the important games with that very stingy defense, we'll be in those games with a good shot at winning.

Either way a great way to start the season. A clear win with lots of margin for error (plenty of which can be cleaned up).

IMHO, Wright looked really strong. Runs like a deer. Didn't hit the deep passes but moved the safeties back a step or two. Looks like NU will use plenty of WRs. That can catch.

D was prepared and motivated.

Sometimes it's hard to be an NU fan, like when the center surprises the QB with the snap and turns it over to stop a promising drive and when the NU QB squiff's a snap to turn it over on the opponents' one, but NU fans have seen spirit-crushing misplay like this for decades and can not be discouraged.

The team looks exciting.

Felt the tackling was very good yesterday. There was a broken tackle at some point in the fourth quarter that I felt was maybe the first time they missed a guy that they seemed to have dead to rights.
I think you mean a different play, but they also had the late missed sack that ended up a PF tacked on to the long play. Good play by Gabbert to escape

I thought that Wright's throws had plenty of zip. I never felt that the sideline throws were pick 6s waiting to happen. Perhaps I have low standards for zip as some NU QBs had noodles for arms.

The QB-center exchange will get cleaned up so I am encouraged by the offense going forward.

Special teams play was solid across the board. A kickoff landed in the end zone and coverage was smoothering. Obviously the missed FG was disappointing.

In my opinion most are underestimating the play of the O-line. They held up very well in pass protection and we out rushed Miami by over 100 yards. What's not to like other than the bad snaps? We covered the spot and should have won by even more.

In my opinion most are underestimating the play of the O-line. They held up very well in pass protection and we out rushed Miami by over 100 yards. What's not to like other than the bad snaps? We covered the spot and should have won by even more.
Moh line is very good. Legit pro prospects. Best in Mac for sure. I think our oline will get better with time too

Reactions: Rebel II
I thought that Wright's throws had plenty of zip. I never felt that the sideline throws were pick 6s waiting to happen. Perhaps I have low standards for zip as some NU QBs had noodles for arms.

The QB-center exchange will get cleaned up so I am encouraged by the offense going forward.

Special teams play was solid across the board. A kickoff landed in the end zone and coverage was smoothering. Obviously the missed FG was disappointing.
I agree. I thought Wright had plenty of arm. In fact, my criticism of him at one point in the game was that he was throwing everything hard and straight. Some of those balls needed a little more loft and touch.

Doesn't it seem like NU is the only team that can't consistently put kickoffs in the end zone? Since last season occasionally I would watch replays of games during the 2023 and consistently NU's opponents were starting out 10 yards further upfield than NU.

Doesn't it seem like NU is the only team that can't consistently put kickoffs in the end zone? Since last season occasionally I would watch replays of games during the 2023 and consistently NU's opponents were starting out 10 yards further upfield than NU.
Well, yesterday one did go into the end zone, however, those that didn't and were run back frequently were stopped well short of the 25. So I guess my question would be which result do you prefer?

(Huge fan of Olsen, but) it was more than disappointing. He could have ended the game right there. He just missed doinking the prior one. Really needed to adjust and make that one. Instead, Hydroxide was all energized and went down to score and make it a one score game.
The snap hold were bad

Reactions: phatcat
Well, yesterday one did go into the end zone, however, those that didn't and were run back frequently were stopped well short of the 25. So I guess my question would be which result do you prefer?
The ones that did not make it to the end zone were into the wind

Last edited:
Yes we outrushed. That said, a lot was the QB and the right side seemed to have some breakdowns

I agree pass protection was pretty good. Run game I think is the concern when we play high quality defenses. 65 of the 150 yards running were from our QB and majority of that on scrambles (nice call on the zone read to salt it away though!). Let’s just beat Duke next week though and then we can worry about the rest of the schedule.

Reactions: NUMBfan
There were a lot of mismatches on TV over the weekend but I was impressed with the creative play calling by some of the teams to counter the superior talent of the favored teams. A play that consistently worked was an RPO where the QB forced the DB covering the blocking receiver to make a decision of attacking the QB and releasing the WR/TE. The QB then dumped the ball to the WR for consistent gains. NU had a scramble where Wright did this on the play before NU's TD

Reactions: No Chores
I'm just happy to beat Miami Ohio. They are usually one of the better MAC teams, which is probably equivalent a middle of the pack (30 to 40th percentile) Big Ten team. The Wildcats have had a tough history with them. As everyone knows or recalls, Miami managed to sneak a victory over the Wildcats during the watershed 1995 campaign. So I'll take any type of victory over Miami, although I was hoping for something more along the lines of 38-7 instead of 13-7.

Reactions: zeek55
I'm just happy to beat Miami Ohio. They are usually one of the better MAC teams, which is probably equivalent a middle of the pack (30 to 40th percentile) Big Ten team. The Wildcats have had a tough history with them. As everyone knows or recalls, Miami managed to sneak a victory over the Wildcats during the watershed 1995 campaign. So I'll take any type of victory over Miami, although I was hoping for something more along the lines of 38-7 instead of 13-7.
We are now 4-7 alltime vs the RedHawks. They have been very good vs B1G teams for decades.

Reactions: phatcat
Miami Ohio is like Duke; just be happy to get a win any way you can.

They never get the respect they probably deserve since everyone lumps them with all the MAC teams, but it's hard to have a lifetime 0.600 winning record when you're in the MAC + playing at least 2-3 games on the road against Power opponents.

They've always been of the quality of a lower third Big Ten team.

Reactions: No Chores
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT