ADVERTISEMENT

NU and Jordan Goodwin

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
An update from last Thursday's Sun-Times ...

"Quietly, coach Chris Collins and his staff have become a player in the Goodwin recruitment. The state’s top prospect is a consensus top 75 prospect in the country and the No. 1 player in the Class of 2017 in Illinois ... While NU is in the mix, this is going to be a typical dog fight for the 6-3 do-it-all winner, one which includes rival Illinois."

From previous comments he indicated that NU and Illinois were working the hardest on him.

In Illinois' favor is that the drive from Belleville is pretty short and easy. Working against Illinois is the fact that the team has had some bumps and it might not be at the top of a lot of parents' lists as to where you'd want your son hanging out. Illinois is also loaded with guys his size and in his position.

In NU's favor is that he comes out of an academically rigorous school so he'd fit in academically and while I believe U of I is an excellent school, it's a notch down from NU in the eyes of hiring managers. He'd walk into NU and start for four years, guaranteed. It's a team of high character players. The negative is that it's a bit of a haul from Belleville to Evanston. However, it's 20 minutes to the St. Louis Amtrak station and the Wi Fi on the train is pretty decent.

It's dead even and will interesting to see how it turns out. The kid's rep is that he's an incredibly hard worker. So, great for him that he's put himself in a position where he can go pretty much wherever he wants for free.

There's not a whole lot of benefits where NU can win against many programs. Yes, they can win on the quality of education. You might argue the city is a slam dunk, but where has that got them?

If I were Collins, I'd push stability, stability and stability. If an NU coach doesn't use this pitch on so many levels outside recruiting directly against the Illini, I think they are missing something.

If Collins truly wants to build, I'd pose a very simple question: "Do you want the same coach for four years?" I think that would give NU an advantage against most programs.

As for Illinois specifically, I wouldn't place a bet for four years on the mix of a new AD, that coach and that dellusional fanbase. No way.

As for Illinois specifically, I wouldn't place a bet for four years on the mix of a new AD, that coach and that dellusional fanbase. No way.

All your points are well founded.

I'd just add that the public high schools in Belleville are pretty decent....in the mix with Naperville, Evanston, etc school districts.

The fact that his family is coughing up tuition to send him to a private school indicates that they value an excellent education. Lindsey and Fenwick, Law and St. Rita, etc., etc.

With too many of the top tier Illinois players the families don't fully recognize the value of the NU sheepskin. This is one recruit and family that probably get it.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
All your points are well founded.

I'd just add that the public high schools in Belleville are pretty decent....in the mix with Naperville, Evanston, etc school districts.

The fact that his family is coughing up tuition to send him to a private school indicates that they value an excellent education. Lindsey and Fenwick, Law and St. Rita, etc., etc.

With too many of the top tier Illinois players the families don't fully recognize the value of the NU sheepskin. This is one recruit and family that probably get it.
. Goodwin's family doesn't pay tuition at Althoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT