ADVERTISEMENT

NU @ DU Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
So heading into Week 3, there is basis for some optimism among Cats fans after an explosive 2nd Half against UTEP. UTEP is not top competition, but performing at the level one would expect from a Power 5 school in a non-conference game is a significant step forward from last season.

The test coming up this week is daunting. Duke has had NU's number for years, in good years and in bad. Duke is riding a #21 ranking and is heavily favored at home with a very warm forecast for Durham.

Payback is overdue but will be a tall order. I will pick the Cats and the upset, but it is more hope than realism.

Adlai Stevenson 24
Richard Nixon 21

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Northwestern: Some points
Duke: Some points

I haven’t seen Duke and the Cats’ second half v. UTEP was bewildering, so I have no idea whatsoever.

Reactions: rmndcat
Taking last week's point spread and combining it with the actual score, you get Vegas missing by 32. Extrapolating, they're giving Duke -18.5 this week. So, subtracting 32, that gives us -13.5. Feeling generous to the gentlemen down South, we'll round that to -13.
NU 30
Duke 17

Looks like our D gets a safety.

Taking last week's point spread and combining it with the actual score, you get Vegas missing by 32. Extrapolating, they're giving Duke -18.5 this week. So, subtracting 32, that gives us -13.5. Feeling generous to the gentlemen down South, we'll round that to -13.
NU 30
Duke 17

Looks like our D gets a safety.
Or three field goals.

Duke 42
NU 10

Not feeling good about this one at all

Blue Dookies - 27
Purple Cats - 17

NU beats the spread, but loses the battle.

Cat 26
Duck 13

Cats double up Duke and double their win total of last year.

Last edited:
If our offense continues their 2nd half performance then we have a shot on the road against Duke. As noted our Oline came together and we had some solid offense in the 2nd half for the first time in many games. So great to break the losing streak, maybe this gives the team some momentum and confidence. On the downside, playing Duke on their turf and flying across country has to be a factor. I’d lovd to see the return of the Cardiac Cats in a close win.
Cats 21 Dukies 20
Cats Win! Cats Win!

Last edited:
Past 4 times we played Duke, I thought we'd win before every game. We lost all 4 (most due to Duke outplaying us dramatically in the first half and then us adjusting and playing better in the 2nd half but lacking offense to complete comebacks).

This time, I think we probably lose but cover since I think we can play better than expected as we saw against UTEP. If our defense continues to improve compared to last year we can make some of these tougher games tighter than expected and give ourselves a chance to win.

Reactions: rmndcat
I would like to think the Cats will win 21-20 on a last second TD. But my brain says that Duke’s defense with stymie us, and our defense will not be able to stop their QB. Unless Duke’s QB gets hurt early I see

DU. 31
NU 14

Cats get down early, then have to play catch up and turn the ball over a couple times in the second half. Another NU TD in garbage time.
Devils: 31
Cats: 10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT