ADVERTISEMENT

PSU @ NU Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
The Cardiac Cats returned last week with a spectacular 4th quarter come-back, from being down 31-10. The passing game was explosive and the defense clamped down in the second half, with the exception of one breakout by Darius Taylor.

The Cats suddenly look like a team on a mission. This week's mission will be the toughest of the season. Penn State is a well-balanced team with legitimate national championship aspirations.

Getting a win against any B1G opponent is a challenge. This week, unfortunately, it will probably be too much...though I would love to be wrong.

Blue Cats 33
Purple Cats 21

Last edited:
The Cardiac Cats returned last week with a spectacular 4th quarter come-back, from being down 31-10.
The passing game was explosive and the defense clamped down in the second half, with the exception of one breakout by Darius Taylor.

The Cats suddenly look like a team on a mission. This week's mission will be the toughest of the season. Penn State is a well-balanced team with legitimate national championship aspirations.

Getting a win against any B1G opponent is a challenge. This week, unfortunately, it will probably be too much...though I would love to be wrong.

Blue Cats 33
Purple Cats 21
Lions 44
Cats 7

Reactions: CatManTrue
We lose but cover. Maybe 28 14. Regardless, I will stay to the end. If it is a blowout, I may get to see Sullivan play 😀😀

Reactions: No Chores
Braun 9
Franklin 4.5

Ben founded a country and a university. James brought a football team back to prominence. I wonder if they are related.

Reactions: rmndcat
Cats will again fall behind 31-10. But this week they will not come back.

PSU 31
NU 10

PSU 42
NU 13
Only NU touchdown coming late in the 4th quarter after PSU lets their guard down a bit

Wish it was not so, but:

PSU 31
NU 10

As I said in another thread, PSU is like the Star Wars Death Star. They are competent to outstanding at every level of offense and defense. Their running game is very strong in contrast to a questionable NU front defensive seven. I would expect the Lions to grind out a series of bruising, long drives. On the other side of the ball, their back 4 are capable of limiting the ability of the Cats’ excellent receivers to get open quickly while their edge rushers are very quick to the QB. Probably the only good news is that since the PSU offense uses the run so much, the total number of drives and plays will be fairly limited, reducing the blowout shock of the final score a little.

I already noted that I think the Cats’ faint hopes rely on being able to mount a power run game early, further shortening the game and creating the possibility of passing success through play action. If they do, the margin drops to something like 28 to 20.

I just can’t see this being remotely close, but I was way off last week. Win or lose, this is becoming my favorite team in recent memory.
I’ll tell you what. I think this will be absolutely brutal. If this Cats team keeps this remotely close, Braun’s odds of an extension go way up.

Bet on PSU to win and cover the 26.5 points. I’d say also take the over (46) but I don’t trust this offense to score a TD against this defense. Best guesses:

PSU 42
Cats 3

OR

PSU 55
Cats 0

We lose but cover. Maybe 28 14. Regardless, I will stay to the end. If it is a blowout, I may get to see Sullivan play 😀😀
We won't cover. We gave up 31 to Minny, and PSU is a machine that is hellbent on challenging for a natty. The defense isn't up to it. I hope that I am proven wrong and will eat crow, but PSU is for real and they have to play OSU and U of M to get to the big dance.

PSU 49
NU 13

The guys on Penn State know the point spread.

Also, NU running backs will gain less than 40 yards on the ground.

NU 16
PSU 14

This is a nostalgia pick. When I was a sophomore at Purdue, our football team was, to be kind, not very good. #1 Michigan (57 of 62 first-place votes) came to town an overwhelming favorite against against Alex Agase's Boilers. A sports writer for the student newspaper, "The Exponent," wrote an article about Purdue's proud tradition of being known as the "Spoilermakers." He went on to recount Purdue's many spectacular upsets, only to pose the question, could this team carry on that fine tradition and defeat the Wolverines, to which he answered, "No Way!!!" The next day, the final score of the game was Purdue 16 Michigan 14. I assure you, before that game, Purdue had not played anywhere near as good of a game as NU played last week. While PSU looks pretty invincible, so did the Wolverines. This game and its buildup have a similar feel to me.

I’ll tell you what. I think this will be absolutely brutal. If this Cats team keeps this remotely close, Braun’s odds of an extension go way up.

Bet on PSU to win and cover the 26.5 points. I’d say also take the over (46) but I don’t trust this offense to score a TD against this defense:
Proud of the team’s effort today - much tighter affair in the first.

Also, I’m proud that anyone who followed the Truth made money today.

@Purple Pile Driver - want to hear the other wagers in my hypothetical parlay? I know you actually get this stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT