ADVERTISEMENT

NU @ UNL Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
The Wildcats survived Bye Week and now head to Lincoln. NU and UN(L) have mirror 3-3/1-2 records. The Cats beat their only common opponent, Minnesota, to whom the Cornhuskers lost.

Both teams have hopes of bowl-eligibility given the state of the B1G West this season. Nebraska will have home field, but the Cats beat them on the road last year--in Dublin.

Prognostication:

Mouse eaters 19
Bug eaters 17

Unfortunately our OL won't be able to protect Bryant or Sully. Their DL stops our RBs and their mobile QB gives us fits
They. 35
We. 10
And we don't cover

Damn, some of you are predicting a blowout!!!! I can see us losing, but it should be a good game, but if it is not there will be no bowling for the Cat's again this year. No score prediction this week as I don't know if Bryant is going to play. We just need to win baby!!!!!!!!!

Damn, some of you are predicting a blowout!!!! I can see us losing, but it should be a good game, but if it is not there will be no bowling for the Cat's again this year. No score prediction this week as I don't know if Bryant is going to play. We just need to win baby!!!!!!!!!
Them 31
Us 14

The outcome of the game depends on whether Bryant plays or not. Nebraska’s defensive backfield does not match up well at all with the Cats’ receivers, but their DL will completely throttle any Cat inside running game. The offense key for the Cats, since their pass protection is poor, is canny play from the QB, quickly finding the what will be an inevitable quickly open receiver and a little bit of pocket space for longer throws. The Cats will also need to throw in the red zone if they want to score. They will get no push whatever close to the goal line, but I am afraid Bajakian will trot out the Lausch alternative in short yardage to dismal results. The Husker offense, as it is, has come to a point where it pretty much revolves around Haarberg’s legs and converting turnovers. While Cats’ DL has shown some ability to stop the run, Cats LB’s have not been able to deal with a physical backs, and a strong running QB will undoubtedly break some long, punishing runs. They will probably generate three scores on offense alone and as many scores off turnovers as the Cats gift for them.

All of this is to say if there was ever a game where the difference in the spread revolved around Bryant versus Sullivan, this is it. Therefore, two predictsions:

With Bryant

The favorite NU of myself, my alum wife, my alum brother and current real NU student niece (TFNUMWBN): 31
The favorite NU of the large number of in-laws who grew up in Nebraska (TFNUILGUIN): 24

With Sullivan

TFNUILGUIN: 38
TFNUMWBN: 17

Because of the large number of Husker loving in-laws, this game largely makes or breaks my year as a football fan. Go Cats!

Cats can't stop the run, which is already the Huskers strength. And when the script is flipped, the opposite is true.

Add to that dynamic that Bryant now appears to be out, which means NU's ability to execute and sustain a credible passing attack through four quarters is severely diminished. One more plus for the UNL game plan.

I sure do hope that Braun can engineer some magic, but failing that...

Big Red - 38
Purple - 10

Reactions: leodisflowers
Without Bryant
UNL 27
NU 10

With Bryant
NU 31
UNL 27

Nebraska 35
Northwestern 10
Without Bryant a long dull afternoon.

Cats can't stop the run, which is already the Huskers strength. And when the script is flipped, the opposite is true.

Add to that dynamic that Bryant now appears to be out, which means NU's ability to execute and sustain a credible passing attack through four quarters is severely diminished. One more plus for the UNL game plan.

I sure do hope that Braun can engineer some magic, but failing that...

Big Red - 38
Purple - 10
Yeah, with Bryant out it looks like a season ending loss more than likely. The defense isn't really all that. Never understood the amount of love the defense has been getting in here. If we lose on Saturday, the only other win I can see is against the Boilermakers. Illinois showed some nice improvement with the win against Maryland, and if that holds up, they will come home with the hat. Iowa and Whisky are solid teams, so I would think those are losses.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Yeah, with Bryant out it looks like a season ending loss more than likely. The defense isn't really all that. Never understood the amount of love the defense has been getting in here. If we lose on Saturday, the only other win I can see is against the Boilermakers. Illinois showed some nice improvement with the win against Maryland, and if that holds up, they will come home with the hat. Iowa and Whisky are solid teams, so I would think those are losses.
Bryant will be back at some point, no?

Bryant will be back at some point, no?
I would think so, but if we lose to Nebraska, our work is cut out for us. Only winnable games from a realistic standpoint will be Purdue and Illinois. Purdue is bad, but Illinois just beat Maryland and looked improved. Not very likely that we beat Maryland, Iowa, and Wisconsin, especially if Bryant isn't 100%.

I think that is about right. I will go with:

without Bryant

UNL 31
NU 13

with Bryant

UNL 27
NU 28. On last minute TD.
You're that guy on the Price Is Right who bids one dollar less than another contestant, pretty much guaranteeing that other person won't win! 😜

(Wait.... we do win something for these predictions, right?)

Does anybody here think that Braun is being intentionally vague about whether Bryant will play in order to force UNL to prepare for both quarterbacks? Also, has anyone heard from an official source that Bryant won't play?

I'm calling it... breakout game for Sullivan at QB.

Hazers 31
Huskers 24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT