ADVERTISEMENT

Observations on changes in the offense from highlights

KramerCat91

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2007
Some things stuck out on the highlights but I would like the input of those who saw the game in its entirety:
  1. The offense was less spread than normal. I saw formations in which it appeared that there were only WRs although there may have been an SB or RB who also went out to catch passes.
  2. Thorson's longest runs appear to have been on passing plays rather than designed keepers. In fact it seems that there were few if any designed keepers and the hated speed option was gotten rid of.
  3. It looked like Neb was spying on Thorson, but Thorson was much faster than the spy
Has NU moved to a pass-first offense with extra blocking for Thorson with most of his runs coming on pass plays?

Some things stuck out on the highlights but I would like the input of those who saw the game in its entirety:
  1. The offense was less spread than normal. I saw formations in which it appeared that there were only WRs although there may have been an SB or RB who also went out to catch passes.
  2. Thorson's longest runs appear to have been on passing plays rather than designed keepers. In fact it seems that there were few if any designed keepers and the hated speed option was gotten rid of.
  3. It looked like Neb was spying on Thorson, but Thorson was much faster than the spy
Has NU moved to a pass-first offense with extra blocking for Thorson with most of his runs coming on pass plays?
I think it had a lot to do with more confidence in CT and who we were playing. Nebraska has the number 7 rushing D and are at the bottom for pass D. Also since the speed option was not being run properly, why continue it?

I think it had a lot to do with more confidence in CT and who we were playing. Nebraska has the number 7 rushing D and are at the bottom for pass D. Also since the speed option was not being run properly, why continue it?
Agreed that the offense could have changed situationally for Nebraska and that it could change back to run first schemes for the easier defenses left on the schedule.

However, we also passed frequently against Iowa, McCall experimented a lot with non-spread schemes last year, and with our DL rotation being deep, winning the time of possession is not so important, so perhaps the offense is changing to better match the OL's and Thorson's capabilities.

It'll be interesting to see what we do coming out of the bye week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT