ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bears

Just when you think Trubisky and the Bears are getting somewhere on offense, he goes and throws an incredibly dumb interception in the Endzone at a critical juncture. Same old Mitch. Same old bears.
Honestly, I think it goes back to the fact that he only played one year in college and was not exposed to situations that a multi year starter would have been, like he should have been. Then he gets to the pros and since he was that high a draft pick, they put him in too early and he went in feeling he had to make a play rather than learning to just play within himself. The Bears are in a heck of a spot in that, my guess, they are best off resigning him. They have used so much draft capital on the QB position (the cost of that trade up really hurt them) plus trading a draft pick for Folds, that I don't think they can afford to go after another one. Plus as a potential playoff team, likey their first round pick is about #20. They really need to address other positions first and who trusts Pace to pick another after he has already messed up on three (Glenon, Folds and Trubisky). While the OL has performed better, I still question it. Even if they get rid of Pace, not sure the next guy is ready for that right out of the gate and there are so many potential holes, nto right time to go after a QB.

In short, I feel the stars are lining up so that their best alternative is bring back Trubisky, like it or not.

Honestly, I think it goes back to the fact that he only played one year in college and was not exposed to situations that a multi year starter would have been, like he should have been. Then he gets to the pros and since he was that high a draft pick, they put him in too early and he went in feeling he had to make a play rather than learning to just play within himself. The Bears are in a heck of a spot in that, my guess, they are best off resigning him. They have used so much draft capital on the QB position (the cost of that trade up really hurt them) plus trading a draft pick for Folds, that I don't think they can afford to go after another one. Plus as a potential playoff team, likey their first round pick is about #20. They really need to address other positions first and who trusts Pace to pick another after he has already messed up on three (Glenon, Folds and Trubisky). While the OL has performed better, I still question it. Even if they get rid of Pace, not sure the next guy is ready for that right out of the gate and there are so many potential holes, nto right time to go after a QB.

In short, I feel the stars are lining up so that their best alternative is bring back Trubisky, like it or not.
I agree that their best option is very likely MT in 2021. He has been decent of late, but his turnovers (two picks in end zone, the fumble vs Detroit) have been awful. Maybe he will learn to read a defense, but I think the play calls have to be tailored to his limitations.

The Bears have enough holes to fill at OT, MLB, WR, CB, DT that drafting a QB early makes little sense (the top 3 will be gone by the 10th pick)

I don’t think they have much of a choice in the matter. Mitch returns and they will try and get a shorter term, incentive laden contract. Pace has screwed up the cap again and players like Floyd are having a great year while Quinn does little.

Yes, relatively speaking I don’t have any doubt in my mind that Nagy’s performance has been the bigger problem for the Bears but Pace is by no means blameless. After all, it was Pace who hired Nagy. A compelling argument can be made that they both should be gone. I don’t subscribe to that theory partly because I am not convinced that the Bears current decision making hierarchy could do better. So I am on record that they should stay but I won’t let these last few games fool me into thinking that all is well at Halas Hall. Nagy and Pace need to get their act together because they are joined at the hip and neither will survive another inconsistent roller coaster season like this one.
I don’t think we should keep Nagy/Pace because we don’t think we can do better. This sounds like the Illini fans that thought they should keep Lovie.

I agree that the top of the house for the Bears has been a problem for a long time now. Hopefully, they will realize they need a football person to oversee the entire operation. We saw what happening to the Blackhawks once the Wirtz family gave up day to day control of decisions. However, owners aren’t going to fire themselves, so something needs to be tried and standing pat shouldn’t be an option.

I agree that their best option is very likely MT in 2021. He has been decent of late, but his turnovers (two picks in end zone, the fumble vs Detroit) have been awful. Maybe he will learn to read a defense, but I think the play calls have to be tailored to his limitations.

The Bears have enough holes to fill at OT, MLB, WR, CB, DT that drafting a QB early makes little sense (the top 3 will be gone by the 10th pick)

Trubisky, Nagy and Pace should all be back next year because there is no clear alternative that is better. That threesome will sink or swim together. Having said that, the Bears should draft a QB they can develop this year after they draft OL and more OL. I don't see the glaring holes at CB and DT that you are referring to (actually quite the opposite) and the depth they need to bolster at MLB and WR are secondary needs compared to the desperate help they need on the OL and at QB.

Trubisky, Nagy and Pace should all be back next year because there is no clear alternative that is better. That threesome will sink or swim together. Having said that, the Bears should draft a QB they can develop this year after they draft OL and more OL. I don't see the glaring holes at CB and DT that you are referring to (actually quite the opposite) and the depth they need to bolster at MLB and WR are secondary needs compared to the desperate help they need on the OL and at QB.
Oh, they could easily replace Pace with another guy. But we know they won't. With Phillips retiring, the juicy rumor about Theo (I doubt the McCaskeys would pay him) is a reminder that they will replace Phillips first, and let that hire deal with the rest (I would think).

The real conundrum in all of this is that we pretty much all want Pace and Nagy gone. But we also know that the Bears screw up coaching hires better than anyone. So we have no confidence that they would get it right. It is not for a lack of good candidates.

Maybe we can make it in at 8-8. The Packers will whup the Bears again. But for those of us who quietly wished for 5-11, we are cursed with the knowledge that having a high draft position would likely be rendered useless by Pace.

So tanking is useless because Pace is drafting.

And firing Nagy and Pace is useless because George does the hiring.

And Phillips retiring means the "big bet shy" McCaskeys won't fire the GM and coach.

We are stuck.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Theo would be an inspired hire. He’s an organization and culture builder, and God knows that’s what the Bears need. He’s not afraid to hire and delegate responsibility, while maintaining high expectations. I think it’s the kind of fresh challenge that would tempt Theo. I’m hoping against hope the McCaskeys are just smart enough to at least try.

Oh, they could easily replace Pace with another guy. But we know they won't. With Phillips retiring, the juicy rumor about Theo (I doubt the McCaskeys would pay him) is a reminder that they will replace Phillips first, and let that hire deal with the rest (I would think).

The real conundrum in all of this is that we pretty much all want Pace and Nagy gone. But we also know that the Bears screw up coaching hires better than anyone. So we have no confidence that they would get it right. It is not for a lack of good candidates.

Maybe we can make it in at 8-8. The Packers will whup the Bears again. But for those of us who quietly wished for 5-11, we are cursed with the knowledge that having a high draft position would likely be rendered useless by Pace.

And Phillips retiring means the "big bet shy" McCaskeys won't fire the GM and coach.

We are stuck.

Replacing Pace without replacing Nagy is exactly the type of half assed measure that has contributed to the Bears being so bad for so long. If the Bears chose to make changes, they should be transformational changes starting at the very top and that means Phillips. Hire a new President who is a proven manager, winner and transformational leader rather than a good accountant who kissed Mayor Daley’s ass long enough to get the Bears a new stadium. That would be a very worthwhile investment that would pay off quickly. Someone like Theo or John McDonough would make a lot of sense to me. Until someone of that ilk is brought in, I don’t support making any changes with the GM or coach.

Last edited:
Replacing Pace without replacing Nagy is exactly the type of half assed measure that has contributed to the Bears being so bad for so long. If the Bears chose to make changes, they should be transformational changes starting at the very top and that means Phillips. Hire a new President who is a proven manager, winner and transformational leader rather than a good accountant who kissed Mayor Daley’s ass long enough to get the Bears a new stadium. That would be a very worthwhile investment that would pay off quickly. Someone like Theo or John McDonough would make a lot of sense to me. Until someone of that ilk is brought in, I don’t support making any changes with the GM or coach.
Right. Start from the top. That's the way to do it. But this is the Bears. They would fire Nagy, hire a coach, and then fire Pace a year later and saddle the new GM with a head coach with 3 years left on his contract. Then they would hire a VP of football ops stuck with a new GM and a new coach. And the waterboy would have a 5 year deal too. That's the Bears.

The template for Theo is already in place in this city. Look at what McDonough was able to accomplish switching from baseball to hockey.

I don’t think we should keep Nagy/Pace because we don’t think we can do better. This sounds like the Illini fans that thought they should keep Lovie.

I agree that the top of the house for the Bears has been a problem for a long time now. Hopefully, they will realize they need a football person to oversee the entire operation. We saw what happening to the Blackhawks once the Wirtz family gave up day to day control of decisions. However, owners aren’t going to fire themselves, so something needs to be tried and standing pat shouldn’t be an option.

I don't have a problem with ownership. They have provided the resources necessary to win. I have a problem with the judgement of the guys they put in charge. Phillips was rewarded with the job for getting the stadium deal done but he is not a leader and has no idea how to put together a football organization. That's why they need to go out and hire a clown like Ernie Accorsi to tell them who to hire. How about hiring a guy who has proven he knows how to turn around organizations and win Championships? I am not supportive of further changes unless you start from the top. Bring in a new President to replace Phillips and let him determine who the GM and Head Coach should be going forward.

We are stuck.
Another reason that they would likely not move on is that, unllike other franchises, Bears ARE the family business (rather than an expensive hobby). Revenue stream is pretty secure and on field success doesn't really improve it much. For them to be successful, it is all about controlling the cost structure and paying for two guys at the same time hurts that. That is a lot of millions that the family would suddenly not have

Pretty good performance, perhaps, today. Looks like the Rams will get them into the playoffs anyway.

I’m shocked that Nagy didn’t go with the sneak again on the decisive fourth down attempt.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Pretty good performance, perhaps, today. Looks like the Rams will get them into the playoffs anyway.

I’m shocked that Nagy didn’t go with the sneak again on the decisive fourth down attempt.
How was that a good performance? Missed big play opportunitis all over the place. That makes bad.

Reactions: corbi296
Man, I did not realize we have two "OT Bears" threads. That's scary. How dumb are we?

Here is what I wrote:

So the plucky Bears hang with the Pack until about midway through Q4, thanks to a key drop and some effective ball control offense. Mitch looked good--for a while.

But on a key 4th and 1 on a drive that could have given the Bears a (short-lived) lead, a naked bootleg backfires when A Rob cannot beat his guy, and our great red zone target Jimmy Graham wanders off listlessly and fails to give Trubisky a target. He basically stood there, looking like he was setting a pick--from about 5 yards off the sideline. WTF? Execution Fail. Bears Fail. Jimmy Graham: $18M worth of dumb.

That said, the Bears are about to back in as the Rams are closing out the Cardinals 18-7.

Reactions: hdhntr1

That was pathetic. Nagy played to keep the game close, not to win. Pagano, despite claiming all week that he was going to “empty his bag of tricks, was horrible. The Bears have no chance next week if they play the way they did today. Watching Nagy coach like he did today almost makes me wish that Fitz makes the jump to the Bears. Almost!

That was pathetic. Nagy played to keep the game close, not to win. Pagano, despite claiming all week that he was going to “empty his bag of tricks, was horrible. The Bears have no chance next week if they play the way they did today. Watching Nagy coach like he did today almost makes me wish that Fitz makes the jump to the Bears. Almost!
Corbi you are so right. Pagano has to go. Horrible game plan. He makes no in game adjustments. Trubisky is just that, Trubisky. Rodgers is the most complete QB in the league. Do not be surprised if Fitz is the next Bears HC next year. 8-8, soon to be 8-9 with continued losses to GB. The McCaskey's will terminate Nagy and the door is open and Fitz's table is set!!! If the Bears had won, Nagy might have been given another year. IMHO Nagy is gone. Hope I'm wrong and Fitz stays.

I am shocked you call this performance pathetic. They controlled the ball, put together lots of long drives. It was a classic corbi-McCall performance.

They made the wrong call on fourth down, and then fell apart.

But they played with a much better team.

Man, I did not realize we have two "OT Bears" threads. That's scary. How dumb are we?

Here is what I wrote:

So the plucky Bears hang with the Pack until about midway through Q4, thanks to a key drop and some effective ball control offense. Mitch looked good--for a while.

But on a key 4th and 1 on a drive that could have given the Bears a (short-lived) lead, a naked bootleg backfires when A Rob cannot beat his guy, and our great red zone target Jimmy Graham wanders off listlessly and fails to give Trubisky a target. He basically stood there, looking like he was setting a pick--from about 5 yards off the sideline. WTF? Execution Fail. Bears Fail. Jimmy Graham: $18M worth of dumb.

That said, the Bears are about to back in as the Rams are closing out the Cardinals 18-7.

I couldn't "bear" to watch after that failed 4th down play.

Reactions: nu greek
I am shocked you call this performance pathetic. They controlled the ball, put together lots of long drives. It was a classic corbi-McCall performance.

They made the wrong call on fourth down, and then fell apart.

But they played with a much better team.

You don’t kick a FG on second down from the Packers six yard line with six seconds before the half when your defense has shown no signs of stopping Rodgers. That’s not complementary football, that’s dumb football.

Reactions: nu greek
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT