ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Briles Sacked

Obviously I'm talking about the magnitude of the turnaround he and Snyder pulled off at NU and KSU. Barnett never did anything wrong except stick his foot in his mouth once.
I agree and I was mostly trying to stir up the St. Barney crowd. BUT - snyder and barnett had two (legal) methods for their turnaround - Snyder did the juco route - while most schools choose the baylor/mississippi route. Briles is already set for life and will be rehired, and baylor is no longer a doormat and probably won't be for the foreseeable future. Bottom line - cheating pays, lying pays (see PSU) in ncaa football

What do you mean? They minded by booting him. And they WERE WINNING STILL. At the peak of winning. So with that, I give credit to Baylor University for taking action that would be unheard of at the likes of the SEC schools or dOSU.

I don't. From all appearances it looks like most of the people involved will remain employed at the university.

What do you mean? They minded by booting him. And they WERE WINNING STILL. At the peak of winning. So with that, I give credit to Baylor University for taking action that would be unheard of at the likes of the SEC schools or dOSU.

The lesson here is that bad things can happen, but you can still make a choice not to look the other way and take action that demonstrates intolerance. The University acted correctly here. Sadly, many schools do not act correctly and come from the Bowden school of thought. Including the entire cesspool that is the SEC and even the B1G's own like dOSU.

E: My question is more about whether we'll ever reach a point where institutions are guided by doing what's truly "right" versus having their hands forced/the lawsuits will cost more than the football revenue. I actually believe Alabama would have dismissed Saban under similar circumstances (i.e. the results of a very, very damning independent investigation), although one could speculate that a place like Bama would have never commissioned such an investigation because if there's a chance they wouldn't be happy with the results.

Do you realize just how bad KSU was? KSU had a lower winning percentage than NU had. They were the absolute pits of college football, below NU. At least Barnett had a world class degree, a beautiful campus on a lake, and Chicago as enticements. Snyder did this with absolutely nothing to offer recruits compared to Barnett (Manhattan, KS! please!), and with facilities worse than NU, if you can imagine that. With nothing but dust to offer, I don't care if it took a while for his program to reach national championship challenging success. I agree that what Barnett did was incredible and I'd give him the nod, but Snyder is right up there with Barnett because he sustained his success better than Gary did.

Baylor also sucked eggs since the dawn of time. He raised Baylor higher than Barnett ever did and sustained it. Still, he's below both Barnett and Snyder, IMO, and it looks like he recruited a whole bunch of sketchy characters.
Coach Snyder had a graduation rate for years that was embarrassingly low. So Coach Barnett gets the nod there as well. All told, I give the overall achievement award to Barnett out of those three.

Coach Snyder had a graduation rate for years that was embarrassingly low. So Coach Barnett gets the nod there as well. All told, I give the overall achievement award to Barnett out of those three.

Ah! Good point! Barnett is the Turnaround King, then! It's a shame he didn't get to coach more than the dozen years or so that he did coach. He had quite a remarkable coaching career at both Northwestern and Colorado.

Naw. The embarrassment is Baylor. They claim their institution values Someone who said, "What does it profit a man if he gains the world and loses his soul?" But they knew darn well Art Briles wasn't shaping "fine, young men". They didn't care. He was winning football games. That was his only mandate and the only thing Baylor cared about. He was getting it done, what is their to scrutinize? Which is par for the scummy NCAA course.

Briles was canned because co conspirators always turn when caught.

Ah! Good point! Barnett is the Turnaround King, then! It's a shame he didn't get to coach more than the dozen years or so that he did coach. He had quite a remarkable coaching career at both Northwestern and Colorado.

What Barnett did at NU has no historical equivalent. (The team GPA went up during the Barnett years.)
He understood the NU context (good academics & challenging program history) and relentlessly recruited from it. He got burned at Colorado, because he only understood the old Colorado context, ( just win baby) and failed to understand that, seven years later, there was much greater program scrutiny. That said, here is the simple calculus: No Gary Barnett, no NU program turnaround. A mild Indiana -esque bowl season every ten years , but no lasting change. Take that to the bank. This program stands on the shoulders of Gary Barnett.

What Barnett did at NU has no historical equivalent. (The team GPA went up during the Barnett years.)
He understood the NU context (good academics & challenging program history) and relentlessly recruited from it. He got burned at Colorado, because he only understood the old Colorado context, ( just win baby) and failed to understand that, seven years later, there was much greater program scrutiny. That said, here is the simple calculus: No Gary Barnett, no NU program turnaround. A mild Indiana -esque bowl season every ten years , but no lasting change. Take that to the bank. This program stands on the shoulders of Gary Barnett.

I don't understand what you're talking about regarding Barnett and Colorado. The so-called Colorado scandal is simply a bunch of bimbo-sluts who may or many not have been raped, who blamed the CU program for running sex parties that THEY ACTUALLY RAN THEMSELVES! The rest was all BS. Barnett did absolutely nothing wrong except stick his foot in his mouth once about a crappy, slutty kicker who lied to the media. I realize that this is crude, but it's the crystalline truth. The drive by media ate up all this sensational BS and smeared Barnett to the point where he became unhirable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT