ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Duke-Bama

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Duke opens next season with Bama in Atlanta. Guess Cutcliff got tired of whipping Fitz and wanted a challenge.

Duke opens next season with Bama in Atlanta. Guess Cutcliff got tired of whipping Fitz and wanted a challenge.
That will end poorly for him. But I respect his stones: there is no better measuring stick than battling what is perhaps the best program of all time. What the hell, maybe they’ll pull it off.

From a distance (and my own indifference about SEC football), I can’t decide if Saban is simply dirty or if success begets even greater successes. The appeal of playing for him and becoming a nearly guaranteed NFL draft pick has its appeal to most recruits, but they won’t have much to fall back on if the football track fails.

That will end poorly for him. But I respect his stones: there is no better measuring stick than battling what is perhaps the best program of all time. What the hell, maybe they’ll pull it off.

From a distance (and my own indifference about SEC football), I can’t decide if Saban is simply dirty or if success begets even greater successes. The appeal of playing for him and becoming a nearly guaranteed NFL draft pick has its appeal to most recruits, but they won’t have much to fall back on if the football track fails.
I hate Alabama to the core of my being. I cannot stand Nick Satan.

But at this point, I can't see any evidence that he is running a dirty program. And I am looking. Believe me. I am looking. He also has a decent graduation rate for an SEC school.

He has reached the point that he does not have to play dirty. He goes to a player's home and looks them square in the eye and tells them that they will be competing against the best of the best starting with day one of training camp. They will be competing for national championships. And they will be competing in front of lots of pro scouts. Every word is true and the player knows it.

I hope I am wrong and boosters are trying to bribe athletes left and right and Alabama will follow SMU as the second program to get the NCAA death penalty (sigh). But, alas, I fear he is clean.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I hate Alabama to the core of my being. I cannot stand Nick Satan.

But at this point, I can't see any evidence that he is running a dirty program. And I am looking. Believe me. I am looking. He also has a decent graduation rate for an SEC school.

He has reached the point that he does not have to play dirty. He goes to a player's home and looks them square in the eye and tells them that they will be competing against the best of the best starting with day one of training camp. They will be competing for national championships. And they will be competing in front of lots of pro scouts. Every word is true and the player knows it.

I hope I am wrong and boosters are trying to bribe athletes left and right and Alabama will follow SMU as the second program to get the NCAA death penalty (sigh). But, alas, I fear he is clean.

It hurts to say this, but Saban is the best in the business. If I was a 5 star probable NFL first rounder, I am giving him a hard hard look. I wouldn’t care about Alabama’s business school or any other academic discipline. Yes, call it short sighted, but this is how the majority of top prospects think. The biggest boast a program can get to their recruiting is to consistently put players in the league. Dabo is the only one close to Saban.

I am not at all an Alabama fan or defender, but they have been really focused upon improving their academics over recient years.
They have been very aggressively pursuing top ten students from a large number of Chicagoland high schools. They are offering free tuition, or very close to it, to these top ten kids and are getting quite a lot to accept.
I can name about ten kids over the past few years from our local HS who are now attending Alabama due to the generous academic money being offered.
I don’t believe that Alabama would have even been on most, if any, of these kid’s radar if Alabama didn’t actively go after them.
Seems like they may be putting a bit of their football money to good use.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT