ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Francesa on Franklin

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Long time WFAN host Mike Francesa went on an epic rant about James Franklin calling time out to ice the Georgia State FG kicker, up 11 seconds left up 56-0:

On Monday, WFAN talk-show host Mike Francesa unleashed on Franklin in a screaming rant, calling the coach a “horse’s ass,” a “stooge,” a “jerk” and an “absolute disgrace”

“It’s 56-0, let him kick the ball! And then try to lie about it. What a stooge,” Francesa said. “What he hasn’t got is any class, because why would you do that to a kid up 56-0?! ‘We had our fourth team on the field, we didn’t have a fourth-team field-goal block.’ What the heck do you need to block it for?! Let the ball go through the uprights, you jerk. So he calls timeout to get the second-team field-goal block in. What a bunch of garbage that is. He sells you that, he’ll sell you anything. The guy iced him, plain and simple, because he wanted a shutout.”

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state...franklin-icing-georgia-state-kicker-56-0-game

So in Francesa's view you tell your reserve guys, some of whom are lucky to see the field more than 3-4 games a year, that they shouldn't attempt to block the FG? Whatever. Then have the pollsters quit using victory margins to help determine rankings.

So in Francesa's view you tell your reserve guys, some of whom are lucky to see the field more than 3-4 games a year, that they shouldn't attempt to block the FG? Whatever. Then have the pollsters quit using victory margins to help determine rankings.
That's not what was the problem, at all. Up by 56 points against an undermanned team and you call a time out, so you can preserve the shutout. Face it Franklin is a jerk.

Long time WFAN host Mike Francesa went on an epic rant about James Franklin calling time out to ice the Georgia State FG kicker, up 11 seconds left up 56-0:

On Monday, WFAN talk-show host Mike Francesa unleashed on Franklin in a screaming rant, calling the coach a “horse’s ass,” a “stooge,” a “jerk” and an “absolute disgrace”

“It’s 56-0, let him kick the ball! And then try to lie about it. What a stooge,” Francesa said. “What he hasn’t got is any class, because why would you do that to a kid up 56-0?! ‘We had our fourth team on the field, we didn’t have a fourth-team field-goal block.’ What the heck do you need to block it for?! Let the ball go through the uprights, you jerk. So he calls timeout to get the second-team field-goal block in. What a bunch of garbage that is. He sells you that, he’ll sell you anything. The guy iced him, plain and simple, because he wanted a shutout.”

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state...franklin-icing-georgia-state-kicker-56-0-game

I think Franklin is a slimeball and am no fan of his, but I don't have a big issue with this. Sure, it's a bit ridiculous and can be seen as classless, but I also think that in this day when the CFP is determined by a committee, every little bit can make a difference and you need to coach that way. Now, do I really think that 56-3 or 56-0 over Georgia State will matter in two and a half months? No, but I can at least understand why a coach would coach like it matters.

Also, these coaches constantly harp on playing 60 minutes, never letting up, etc. Every single coach says it. Well, this is leading by example on that. I do think that does show something to his players.

Nothing makes me feel crappier than defending Franklin and Penn State, but got to admit that this really doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Sheffielder

It was the timeout call to "ice" the kicker that was the issue.

I think Franklin is a slimeball and am no fan of his, but I don't have a big issue with this. Sure, it's a bit ridiculous and can be seen as classless, but I also think that in this day when the CFP is determined by a committee, every little bit can make a difference and you need to coach that way. Now, do I really think that 56-3 or 56-0 over Georgia State will matter in two and a half months? No, but I can at least understand why a coach would coach like it matters.

Also, these coaches constantly harp on playing 60 minutes, never letting up, etc. Every single coach says it. Well, this is leading by example on that. I do think that does show something to his players.

Nothing makes me feel crappier than defending Franklin and Penn State, but got to admit that this really doesn't bother me.

Yep. And maybe it's a tad patronizing not to play your best game, all the time. Last thought: What would Fitz do?

It was the timeout call to "ice" the kicker that was the issue.
Not to me. The issue was that he did not just say "My defense played their hearts out and I thought they deserved the shut-out so I did everything in my power to preserve that shut-out." The fact that he came up with a bunch of crap to try and cover it up is what is slimy.

Cool. Now, what would Fitz do if he were up 56-0?
He wouldn't be up 56-0 because he would have had the bench cleared long before that level. And would have instructed the offense not run u[p the score.

Not to me. The issue was that he did not just say "My defense played their hearts out and I thought they deserved the shut-out so I did everything in my power to preserve that shut-out." The fact that he came up with a bunch of crap to try and cover it up is what is slimy.

I agree his comments were also problematic but we can agree to disagree if you don't find fault in calling the timeout under those circumstances. Under nomal circumstances I find calling a timeout to "ice" the kicker a silly practice with questionable effectiveness. Given the circumstances in the Penn State game, I think Franklin is a complete douche for calling it. You want to preserve the shutout? Then tell your team to go out and disrupt the kick.

Reactions: DrillCat
He wouldn't be up 56-0 because he would have had the bench cleared long before that level. And would have instructed the offense not run u[p the score.
See the BGSU game.....for all intents and purposes it was the same situation, NU had 1 fewer TD and allowed a TD. TJ Green was in at QB for heaven's sake with the ball at the NU 1 yard line, and he had a walk-on kicker do the last PAT. I seriously doubt he'd be calling TO to ice the BGSU kicker......

No problem with doing whatever's necessary to preserve the shutout. 56-0 looks more than the value of three points better than 56-3 on the ESPN ticker, which is what most of the AP and coaches' voters will have seen of this game.

No problem with doing whatever's necessary to preserve the shutout. 56-0 looks more than the value of three points better than 56-3 on the ESPN ticker, which is what most of the AP and coaches' voters will have seen of this game.

Sorry but that's ridiculous.

Reactions: Bwm57
Couldn't disagree more. Craping on the outclassed kids from Georgia St. is classless. Maybe the administration will discipline Franklin. Oh wait, you can rape children on Pen St. campus for years and it's just swept under the rug, so obviously nothing will be done.

Couldn't disagree more. Craping on the outclassed kids from Georgia St. is classless. Maybe the administration will discipline Franklin. Oh wait, you can rape children on Pen St. campus for years and it's just swept under the rug, so obviously nothing will be done.

The NCAA should have shut down Penn State's program, and Franklin fits right into their culture with what went on during his Vanderbilt tenure. They're a morally bankrupt institution and I hope we get the chance to hang 60 on them in a few weeks. But if the question is strictly about the playoff and whether you should do everything possible to sway voters every week, the answer here is yes, you should.

Doing it is classless. His reasoning is ridiculous and a clear cut attempt for him to save face. I don't care how much he wins, I don't want this guy associated with anything I root for. He managed to go 3-0 with easy wins and in every single case he has either insulted the opponent ("last year it was their super bowl beating PSU, too us beating Pitt is like beating Akron") or pulling some silly on HS field crap like he did for this FG attempt! It's not over with this clown, watch if they beat us how he'll pull out some condescending Hayden Fry like comment.

Did you watch the game? Penn State was playing a slew of reserves by the third quarter. Their eight TDs were scored by eight different players.
So if they were so good, then why didn't he leave them on the field for the final play?

The NCAA should have shut down Penn State's program, and Franklin fits right into their culture with what went on during his Vanderbilt tenure. They're a morally bankrupt institution and I hope we get the chance to hang 60 on them in a few weeks. But if the question is strictly about the playoff and whether you should do everything possible to sway voters every week, the answer here is yes, you should.
I think it is a crime that they lifted the sanctions early especially as more and more comes out about what went on.

This was Bulls&^t. Beating this team by 56 or 53 points wont matter when it comes to BCS selection time. What will only matter is how they perform in BIG 10 play.

This was Bulls&^t. Beating this team by 56 or 53 points wont matter when it comes to BCS selection time. What will only matter is how they perform in BIG 10 play.
I just read an article with 10 takeaways from the B1G. For PSU, it was that they had two shut-outs. It did not mention icing or being classless. It made a big deal out of shut-outs.

Why was Georgia State making a field goal attempt down 56-0? Go for the touchdown. Sounds like both sidelines were clueless.

No one is going to use 3 points of a Georgia State margin for polling. No one is saying players shoudn't make an effort. The point is the timeout. Franklin is a jerk. Penn State is a jerk program. And for a long, long time it was criminal. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT