ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Kontos called up

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
His arrival on the Indians' team makes at least 3 NU alums pitching in MLB: Farrell, J.A. Happ, and Kontos. Am I missing anyone?

Happ recently got his 100th big league win and is positioned well to make the all-star team and possibly be a popular target at the trade deadline

I too try to keep an eye on ex-Cats in organized ball, at least the ones I know about. Jokisch at Nashville (Oakland AAA team) is another. Is there any other ex-NU player at lower levels?

While we're off-topic anyway, may I also ask if anyone has news about golfers Luke Donald or Scott Harrington? Neither has competed on their tours (PGA & Web.Com, respectively) in recent weeks and I wondered if due to injury.

Fitzpatrick of course I know about, and David Lipsky is fairly steadily cashing checks on the European Tour. Is there any ex-Cat on the LPGA tour I can follow as well?

I too try to keep an eye on ex-Cats in organized ball, at least the ones I know about. Jokisch at Nashville (Oakland AAA team) is another. Is there any other ex-NU player at lower levels?

While we're off-topic anyway, may I also ask if anyone has news about golfers Luke Donald or Scott Harrington? Neither has competed on their tours (PGA & Web.Com, respectively) in recent weeks and I wondered if due to injury.

Fitzpatrick of course I know about, and David Lipsky is fairly steadily cashing checks on the European Tour. Is there any ex-Cat on the LPGA tour I can follow as well?

Actually caught up with Luke's wife earlier this year (our wives were sorority sisters and we saw her randomly on the street in Chicago). Didn't cover much golf, but mentioned he was recovering from an injury (don't recall what) and some health issues, and hasn't been playing much.

Actually caught up with Luke's wife earlier this year (our wives were sorority sisters and we saw her randomly on the street in Chicago). Didn't cover much golf, but mentioned he was recovering from an injury (don't recall what) and some health issues, and hasn't been playing much.
Thanks - that is good news, of a sort, because I think injured players cannot lose their cards. He has struggled for a couple of years now and I was worried about his career.

Bo Schultz- Indianapolis (AAA Pirates)
Matt Portland - Normal Cornbelters (Frontier League - Independent)

Kontos has a chance to stick. I'm a Tribe fan. They've had a ton of injuries, but many of the bullpen guys stunk before their injuries. Must of them were whiplash from watching home runs

Happ recently got his 100th big league win and is positioned well to make the all-star team and possibly be a popular target at the trade deadline
He's going against Verlander and the Astros tomorrow night. Tough matchup, but should be fun to watch.

He's going against Verlander and the Astros tomorrow night. Tough matchup, but should be fun to watch.
Well, Happ got the win behind some timely hitting and a home run saving catch in the 9th. He improves to 10-3 on the season, and Verlander drops to 9-3. Impressive. I don't like to see the Astros lose, but at least there was a NU guy on the other side of it.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Cubs are said to be interested in Happ. These "said to be's" are a dime a dozen, but I'd buy this one.

Cubs are said to be interested in Happ. These "said to be's" are a dime a dozen, but I'd buy this one.
That could be a good move for the Blue Jays. They're not going anywhere and could get a decent return for a 35 year old southpaw all-star in the final year of his contract.

Happ had a good 1st start for the Yankees, but now he's out for a time w/ hoof and mouth disease.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT