ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shat is hitting the fan in Columbus

This is happening at exactly the wrong time for Urban, but that was under his control in 2015 when he first learned of the accusations. OSU absolutely should fire him, which of course means OSU won't.

Reactions: NUCat320
This is really bad. ESPNU radio is all over it. Even callers from Ohio say it may be time for UM to go. Horrible story.

Nothing on ESPN’s website, except a picture of Meyer for the article “10 teams off to fast starts in the 2020 class.”

Nothing on ESPN’s website, except a picture of Meyer for the article “10 teams off to fast starts in the 2020 class.”

ESPNU Radio was all over it this AM. It's pretty much all that the Full Ride crew, Chris Childers & Rick Neuheisel, were talking about during my drive time. And not in a 'Urban will weather the storm' way.

ESPNU Radio was all over it this AM. It's pretty much all that the Full Ride crew, Chris Childers & Rick Neuheisel, were talking about during my drive time. And not in a 'Urban will weather the storm' way.
Interesting take from collegefootballnews.com:

Best guess? Meyer will be suspended for the first several games of the season – the Buckeyes start out against Oregon State, Rutgers, and at TCU – but the uproar won’t stop. And that’s where the current political and social climate really will make a difference.

If an Ohio State coaching legend – who, despite Tressel’s several flaws, was almost universally well-liked – could get launched in 2011, how does what’s being thrown at Meyer right now possibly die down?

If Meyer is suspended, or ultimately canned, what does Ohio State possibly do? Turn to defensive coordinator Greg Schiano to take over? How’s that Tennessee head coaching gig going?

Or, does it turn to offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson? Uhhhhh, a few former Indiana football players might have something to say about that.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/08/daily-cavalcade-the-urban-meyer-controversy

It's really similar to Paterno/Sandusky, covering up a violent crime for years. There will be a short blah blah and things will return to normal. Like Penn State. Too much money

It's really similar to Paterno/Sandusky, covering up a violent crime for years. There will be a short blah blah and things will return to normal. Like Penn State. Too much money

Disagree...nothing that’s happen thus far can compare to the repeated atrocities that took place on the PSU campus involving Sandusky and those who aided and covered up for him (ahem...Paterno and company).

I think the MSU gymnastics guy very definitely compares to what happened at Penn State.

Possibly (though I do know you’re a Paterno fan so that might taint your subjectivity)...were as many people involved with the coverup in the MSU thing? Were pre-teens involved, similar to the PSU situation? I’m honestly asking...I’m not as familiar with the MSU situation.

Possibly (though I do know you’re a Paterno fan so that might taint your subjectivity)...were as many people involved with the coverup in the MSU thing? Were pre-teens involved, similar to the PSU situation? I’m honestly asking...I’m not as familiar with the MSU situation.

Yes and Yes.

I'd put them in the same ballpark (not implying that any particular group of victims was less hurt than the other--more about the scale, scope and mechanism). What is particularly sordid about PSU was the whole First Mile thing and the grooming that went on. Nasser took advantage of a lack of institutional oversight to indulge his sick and malevolent fantasies. Sandusky built an institutional mechanism to indulge his.

He's gotta be done. There is ZERO chance OSU sweeps this one under the rug. We're not talking about players selling memorabilia here, which most people couldn't give a shit about. I give it a week tops before he's fired

Nothing is going to happen to Urban. Minor slap on wrist if anything.

Just read through some of the stuff. Still nothing directly tying Meyer to knowledge of the situation. He still has some wiggle room, but would expect the administration to do something (given Penn St and MSU).

Just read through some of the stuff. Still nothing directly tying Meyer to knowledge of the situation. He still has some wiggle room, but would expect the administration to do something (given Penn St and MSU).

There is text history between Urban's wife, Shelley, and Courtney Smith (the victim) in which the abuses are discussed. And Shelley didn't share that info with Urban? No way that didn't happen. He knew and he lied.

Try reading through all the stuff. Very little wiggle room.

We're number 1

Try reading through all the stuff. Very little wiggle room.

Are you seeing something that explicitly proves Meyer knew and did nothing? I know all the coaches wives knew, and his wife knew, plus there was a conversation (that is heresay) that included a comment from him, but he still has full deniability.

And just in case someone reads this the wrong way. He most definitely knew. Just thinking about the ways he can weasel out of it.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Are you seeing something that explicitly proves Meyer knew and did nothing? I know all the coaches wives knew, and his wife knew, plus there was a conversation (that is heresay) that included a comment from him, but he still has full deniability.

And just in case someone reads this the wrong way. He most definitely knew. Just thinking about the ways he can weasel out of it.

This is also just all Kercheval could find based on his reporting and sources. Would imagine there's a lot more that could be found out in official interviews, especially if this becomes a law enforcement issue with subpoena power, etc.

This is also just all Kercheval could find based on his reporting and sources. Would imagine there's a lot more that could be found out in official interviews, especially if this becomes a law enforcement issue with subpoena power, etc.

That I don't doubt, just speaking to what has been reported so far. Hoping for the smoking gun, but as you have seen, some are particularly adept at hiding it.

I'm not a Paterno fan in this instance and generally stay off this topic with my brother and nephew, both Penn State alums, although I must say they are not mindless defenders of PSU in this case. Although as a Pennsylvanian I've followed PSU over the years and have been up to State College numerous times over a 50-year period (actually attended the second game Paterno coaches there), I went to Shippensburg and Northwestern and definitely root for NU against Penn State. I'm not sure Paterno was all there in his last few years — you'd see little signs of it here and there. It was almost as if he was in his own little bubble. He's the classic example of someone should have retired 10 years earlier before he ended in scandal. I'd seen him actually do the right thing so many times earlier in his career that I still don't understand his thinking, or lack thereof, in this case. He had the respect of many people in this state because he had earned it, and I think that's why many continue to be in denial about it. I suppose you can argue he was trying to protect the program, but there probably wouldn't have been as much trouble if he'd just come right out and nailed Sandusky. And that also puzzles me, because he didn't like Sandusky and made that abundantly clear on more than one occasion. The whole thing just doesn't make sense, but sometimes things just don't. What is clear is that JoePa ended up beaten and disgraced and the other three identified in the coverup have all been convicted of some time of misfeasance or malfeasance and ended up with jail sentences. Spanier recently lost the appeal to overturn his sentence.

Looking at MSU, from what I've been able to make of it there were at least as many people involved in the coverup, and if anything that guy might have abused even more people than Sandusky. Many of those girls, if not pre-teens, were certainly minors.

Many seem to have been outraged by the relatively slow response of the MSU administration to the crisis, and I think a $500 million settlement speaks to the seriousness of the scandal. I see some dark humor in it as the $500 million figure is more than the entire state allotment to our 14-school state system of higher education in Pa. this year, which includes my alma mater at Shippensburg. What a waste of money all due to one pervert.

I am starting to grow weary of the monetary arms race of big-college ball, with all its hype and attendant scandals (here we are with yet another thread about one at Ohio State). I am more and more becoming a fan of my Division II school with its $3 admission charges, reasonable concession prices and kids who are basically playing just for the love of the sport. And although it's not the B1G, it actually is usually well-played and exciting football.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I am more and more becoming a fan of my Division II school with its $3 admission charges, reasonable concession prices and kids who are basically playing just for the love of the sport. And although it's not the B1G, it actually is usually well-played and exciting football.

I’m with you there. D2 and D3 all the way! I’m a big fan of small college sports.

Reactions: Gladeskat
As per Ship, good program. Worth the Saturday. PSAC always has future NFL ers.

Lets start with I'm team resignation/fire him but why protect an assistant coach like this? He loses them all the time. He can have his pick of hot assistants looking to move up. (certainly has the budget for it)

Lets start with I'm team resignation/fire him but why protect an assistant coach like this? He loses them all the time. He can have his pick of hot assistants looking to move up. (certainly has the budget for it)
Maybe it involves pictures of Urban, prostitutes and peeing......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT