ADVERTISEMENT

Sorta OT: Goodbye to the traditional Rose Bowl

Meh, times change and history is unkind to those who resist.

Objectively, I think the caretakers of the Rose Bowl were and are right to fiercely protect its tradition and the mystique around the brand (see also: Notre Dame)...but also gotta know when to bend.

For Northwestern's part, I promise here and now to not be any less excited to earn a playoff berth and go to Miami, New Orleans, or Glendale...

There was a time when all I cared about was who won the Big 10 and who won the Rose Bowl. The National Championship was of no interest to me. The other bowls were only background noise.

I’ve adjusted to the new world order. I’ll survive.

Oh, Bluebonnet Bowl—Where have ye gone? Back in the day, bowl games and tradition meant something. Now? I would sooner watch an episode of House Hunters with my wife than tune into one.

It’s time for them to become extinct and be replaced by an expanded playoff system. Mediocre teams should not be playing postseason games.

I always wonder why players should be excited by playing in a minor bowl at a second tier location with rewards that consist of a grab bag of mediocre crap and lunches at a local charity function. All this plus an extra month more of practice grind. When I ask this question before the answer I got was that football players want to play football. OK, but I still don't get it.

Last edited:
I always wonder why players should be excited by playing in a minor bowl at a second tier location with rewards that consist of a grab bag of mediocre crap and lunches at a local charity function. All this plus an extra month more of practice grind. When I ask this question before the answer I get is that football players want to play football. OK, but I still don't get it.
Because Shreveport in late December is tough to beat.

• Haha
Reactions: GeauxCatsGeaux
1024px-Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Bluebonnet Bowl—Where have ye gone? Back in the day, bowl games and tradition meant something. Now? I would sooner watch an episode of House Hunters with my wife than tune into one.

It’s time for them to become extinct and be replaced by an expanded playoff system. Mediocre teams should not be playing postseason games.

The Cheez-It Bowl had 5.4 million viewers …

When I ask this question before the answer I got was that football players want to play football. OK, but I still don't get it.

Asking a football player if he wants to play yet another game is like asking a mountain climber if they want to climb next weekend. It's what they do.

Asking a football player if he wants to play yet another game is like asking a mountain climber if they want to climb next weekend. It's what they do.

Another way - more colorful - to say the same thing. In the same vein, I like sex but if my partner is pretty tired, worn, etc - trying to be kind here - I might pass to get more sleep.

Sigh. There is (was) nothing quite like it. Those of those who were lucky enough to attend in '96 can count ourselves blessed.

Game enters new era
It was an unforgettable experience that had such weighty historical significance. Had we been in the current era, we would’ve played a semifinal at State Farm Stadium (I believe we were ranked #3 going into the Rose Bowl).

The TV ratings indicate this final “traditional” Rose Bowl went out with a whimper, with a relatively minuscule viewing audience of 10.19 million viewers, down 40% from last years game, and 3 million less than the previous low (13.55 for Stanford/Iowa in 2016

It used to be that the Rose Bowl would fare no worse than 6th most viewed game of the entire season, behind the two semifinals, the chAmpionship game and maybe UM/OSU or a SEC prime time game. This year, 7 regular season (including the B10 & SEC championships) games had more viewers than the Rose Bowl, which will likely place it 11th overall.

And no, the Rose Bowl being on Monday wasn’t a factor, the last Jan 2 Rose Bowl (Penn St./USC) pulled in nearly 16 million viewers.

Another way - more colorful - to say the same thing. In the same vein, I like sex but if my partner is pretty tired, worn, etc - trying to be kind here - I might pass to get more sleep.
What if you were a 21 yo virile, strapping young man?

I hear you though. Add in kids, work and middle aged-ness, I choose sleep over sex most days.

Sucks that the last team to represent the conference then was PSU
At least they won it. I remember years back growing very tired of watching the teams of the great Woody and Bo consistently lose the Rose Bowl because those West Coast teams actually had the temerity to run pass plays.

Reactions: techtim72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT