ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shat is hitting the fan in Columbus

He's gotta be done. There is ZERO chance OSU sweeps this one under the rug. We're not talking about players selling memorabilia here, which most people couldn't give a shit about. I give it a week tops before he's fired
It’s gonna be bad! I agree! Why? They are in hot water with the doctor over there messing with jocks.

Lets start with I'm team resignation/fire him but why protect an assistant coach like this? He loses them all the time. He can have his pick of hot assistants looking to move up. (certainly has the budget for it)

Not just any assistant coach. Zach Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce. That apparently was enough to make people look the other way since 2012 or earlier, and signs of Urban decay over that period of time.

Just read through some of the stuff. Still nothing directly tying Meyer to knowledge of the situation. He still has some wiggle room, but would expect the administration to do something (given Penn St and MSU).
How about his wife? She was in constant contact with his now ex-wife Courtney and didn't share the conversations, come on! Also still no statement at all from Ohio St.

Lets start with I'm team resignation/fire him but why protect an assistant coach like this? He loses them all the time. He can have his pick of hot assistants looking to move up. (certainly has the budget for it)
Apparently Smith is Earl Bruce's grandson, and Bruce was Meyer's mentor. This was more than just a Head Coach-Assistant coach relationship.

Just read through some of the stuff. Still nothing directly tying Meyer to knowledge of the situation. He still has some wiggle room, but would expect the administration to do something (given Penn St and MSU).

Looks like they did - administrative leave

I think the MSU gymnastics guy very definitely compares to what happened at Penn State.
There’s also the OSU doctor who abused over 200 athletes and the USC gynogologist who molested women for decades. There is an ongoing investigation at OSU involving interviews of those athletes who were molested even though the doctor passed away years ago. Like the MSU/women’s gymnastics team scandal, the investigation willook at why those in authority failed to act when notified by the athletes- another case of sweeping things under the rug by the OSU athletics administration and coaching staff in charge at the time.

The USC faculty is going nuts now because the USC board seems to be dragging their feet getting at least an acting President on board before the academic year begins. They don’t want the old president who has resigned greeting new students to campus as he is viewed as part of a coverup by the USC administration.

Last edited:
Looks like they did - administrative leave
Wha does Administrative leave actually mean? Not allowed in the office? not allowed to speak with the staff? Recruits? Could mean nothing more than words.

Wha does Administrative leave actually mean? Not allowed in the office? not allowed to speak with the staff? Recruits? Could mean nothing more than words.
We do this all the time. Generally, it buys time to complete an investigation and let your lawyers determine if you may face a wrongful discharge claim.

The wrestling situation will put more pressure on OSU to do something as we now have a pattern of alleged acceptance of inappropriate actions on the part of their employees.

OSU did fire Tressel for lying on the tattoo scandal, but Tressel isn’t Meyer.

I’m confused. I’m not quite sure what any of this has to do with Urban Meyer. He’s not a police officer, mind reader or district attorney.

Since when does it become a boss’ (at work) responsibility to get involved in domestic abuse allegations between two adults. Isn’t that what the cops are for? Unless Urban Meyer somehow intervened to stop cops from doing their job and pressing charges (in 2015), what exactly did he do wrong or what was he supposed to do?

Reactions: GOUNUII
I’m confused. I’m not quite sure what any of this has to do with Urban Meyer. He’s not a police officer, mind reader or district attorney.

Since when does it become a boss’ (at work) responsibility to get involved in domestic abuse allegations between two adults. Isn’t that what the cops are for? Unless Urban Meyer somehow intervened to stop cops from doing their job and pressing charges (in 2015), what exactly did he do wrong or what was he supposed to do?

He kept him around as a coach for another couple years until it became public, then fired him, then lied about ever having known. At least that’s what I can gather is being alleged.

Maybe read McMurphy's article? Paragraphs 9 through 12 spell it out.

Reactions: Fitz51
Over the years many of you know of my posts so you know I come from a OSU fan perspective. I’m sticking strictly with Meyer’s situation because I have no desire to even come within even 100 miles of looking like I’m defending Zak Smith in any way. No excuse for him.

1. What we do know from the report is that Shelly Meyer knew, and said she would have to tell Urban Meyer. Courtney Smith said today in an interview that Shelly was very supportive throughout, didn’t put any pressure on her, and does not know if she actually told Meyer. I do think it’s more than reasonable to say she did, and even if she didn’t, it’s hard to believe that one of the other wives didn’t tell their assistant coach husband, who in turned told Meyer. So while I believe he knew, at this point we don’t have verification.

2. If Meyer tried to suppress an investigation by law enforcement or encouraged the abuse, then he committed criminal acts, and not only should be fired but charged. No whiff of evidence on that right now. I would,also say that if the abuse was done to a OSU employee and Meyer didn’t take action, that would be fireable. But it wasn’t. I don’t know what is the responsibility of a Supervisor who has an employee do something wrong personally, but have no charges filed. I’ve managed people. I’ve had employees in bad and even contentious relationships, but not abusive to my knowledge. If my employee was a jack ass to his wife, didn’t have any charges brought against him, and it didn’t affect his work, I think my hands would be fairly tied.

3. Assuming he knew, so far Meyer’s wrong doing was being dishonest with the media, and making his core value of “Respect for Women”, hypocritical. A Black Eye for Meyer personally/professionally, and a black eye for the University in the court of public opinion. The question is whether that is a fireable situation, or worthy of forced resignation. It very well could be, especially considering the stuff going on with the Former wrestling physician, but I would argue not necessarily.

4. I do think a suspension is worthy. If more details come out that implicate wrong doing then actions should be taken appropriate to the evidence and those actions. Including termination.

I’m not defending Meyer. This wouldn’t have been nearly as big an issue from in terms of publicity and forcing the University into some action, if last week at the Big 10 meetiing when asked if he knew what happened in 2015 he said, “l did have some information, but not all. Given what we know now, I should have fired Smith then, it was my mistake, and I regret it.”

He kept him around as a coach for another couple years until it became public, then fired him, then lied about ever having known. At least that’s what I can gather is being alleged.

By becoming public, do you mean charges were filed? Whether he was forthcoming or not (about what he heard via rumor, second hand or what his wife may have told him), if cops investigate in 2015 and did not file charges, it’s none of Meyer’s business.

No kids. No allegation it occurred at work. Police investigation with no criminal charge. None of his business. If he fired an employee over a rumor (via second/third hand via texts) or unsubstantiated allegations (that were investigated by police), he’d be wrong.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
By becoming public, do you mean charges were filed? Whether he was forthcoming or not (about what he heard via rumor, second hand or what his wife may have told him), if cops investigate in 2015 and did not file charges, it’s none of Meyer’s business.

No kids. No allegation it occurred at work. Police investigation with no criminal charge. None of his business. If he fired an employee over a rumor (via second/third hand via texts) or unsubstantiated allegations (that were investigated by police), he’d be wrong.

First came up in 2009 as domestic violence, reported to police numerous times from 2012 to 2015. No doubt he knew this was an ongoing problem. The victim was living in hell. Smith violated restraining order. Meanwhile Urban was preaching to his players about respecting women etc. No crime committed by Urban but he failed to uphold his personal standards and those supposedly of the university, including his fiducial responsibility as head of a multi-million dollar business.

Grew up in Philly. Lived in Chambersburg for 7+ years. Shippensburg State Teachers College.

It was Shippensburg State when I went there — now Shippensburg U. of course. I'm currently serving on the alumni association board of directors. Have you moved out of state, or are you still in the area?

Well, by firing the guy he appears to have believed there was something to it. I doubt he is guilty of anything in a strictly legal sense, but it sounds as if his behavior certainly might have been on the shady side of ethical behavior. (Is ethics even a subject for discussion at universities these days?) I generally am not one to rush to judgment, so I'm content to wait and see what the school's investigation determines.

It was Shippensburg State when I went there — now Shippensburg U. of course. I'm currently serving on the alumni association board of directors. Have you moved out of state, or are you still in the area?

I'm in.....the Columbus area

He hired a guy who had a history of domestic abuse. Then heard about it happening again and ignored it. That’s dangerous.

He also lied about being aware of it.

(If he knew...?!?)

Well, by firing the guy he appears to have believed there was something to it. I doubt he is guilty of anything in a strictly legal sense, but it sounds as if his behavior certainly might have been on the shady side of ethical behavior. (Is ethics even a subject for discussion at universities these days?) I generally am not one to rush to judgment, so I'm content to wait and see what the school's investigation determines.

Urban Meyer fired the guy (on July 24) because a judge had just issued a restraining order a couple days earlier on behalf of the guy’s wife. As far as I’m aware, this was the first legal action of any kind between the guy and his wife. Firing the guy immediately (after the restraining order was issued) was the right call.

There is a train of thought that this is a Title IX violation. I don’t know the details of the Regulation, but some are saying that employees of the University are required to report any incident where they have knowledge a sexual assault or domestic violence brought to their attention. Both Urban and his wife are employees of the University. Urban may skirt that by saying he was unaware and his wife didn’t tell him. Smith’s ex-wife said all of the assistant Coaches wives were aware. So it stands to reason that any Assistant that knew by being told by their wife would be subject to the same discipline that Urban gets. Would wipe out a good portion of their staff. Won’t happen, so If OSU determines he will be fired, look for Urban to resign first to avoid taking down the entire staff for the same negligence.

Urban Meyer fired the guy (on July 24) because a judge had just issued a restraining order a couple days earlier on behalf of the guy’s wife. As far as I’m aware, this was the first legal action of any kind between the guy and his wife. Firing the guy immediately (after the restraining order was issued) was the right call.

If he did know about it in 2015, and lied about it, do you think he did so for innocent reasons?

There is a train of thought that this is a Title IX violation. I don’t know the details of the Regulation, but some are saying that employees of the University are required to report any incident where they have knowledge a sexual assault or domestic violence brought to their attention. Both Urban and his wife are employees of the University. Urban may skirt that by saying he was unaware and his wife didn’t tell him. Smith’s ex-wife said all of the assistant Coaches wives were aware. So it stands to reason that any Assistant that knew by being told by their wife would be subject to the same discipline that Urban gets. Would wipe out a good portion of their staff. Won’t happen, so If OSU determines he will be fired, look for Urban to resign first to avoid taking down the entire staff for the same negligence.

All they could have known was there was an allegation and the wife herself refused to pursue it with the police. I’m guessing there was some consideration that such an allegation would make the guy unemployable in his profession, which does not make for an ideal ex-husband (when there is child support involved).

It's very hard for me to believe he didn't know something wasn't kosher here. It's one thing to try and ride herd on the activities of 80-90 football players, but I would think your assistants, a much smaller group with whom you are spending literally hours a day with on a year-round basis over a period of years, are another matter. That said, I wasn't there and I'll see what the school comes up with.

As is often the case, seems less about what happened and more about possibly publicly lying about it/covering it up.

I would,also say that if the abuse was done to a OSU employee and Meyer didn’t take action, that would be fireable. But it wasn’t. I don’t know what is the responsibility of a Supervisor who has an employee do something wrong personally, but have no charges filed. I’ve managed people. I’ve had employees in bad and even contentious relationships, but not abusive to my knowledge. If my employee was a jack ass to his wife, didn’t have any charges brought against him, and it didn’t affect his work, I think my hands would be fairly tied.

I’m not defending Meyer. This wouldn’t have been nearly as big an issue from in terms of publicity and forcing the University into some action, if last week at the Big 10 meetiing when asked if he knew what happened in 2015 he said, “l did have some information, but not all. Given what we know now, I should have fired Smith then, it was my mistake, and I regret it.”

These are excellent points. I can’t believe he didn’t know, but not firing the guy at the time still only makes him a jerk and a hypocrite - he didn’t break the law. However, by (probably) lying about his knowledge of the situation it seems like he tried to cover up this mess and protect a serial abuser on his staff - and that, IMO, is a fireable offense.

Pardon my stream of consciousness here...

* None of us knows what truly happened, and we've never met the people involved.
* It's sad that 99.99% of the know-nothings out there (and here) have their opinions of this matter, for or against, colored by their opinions of Coach Urban Meyer and Ohio State football (including my own).
* This criminal trespass situation...on one hand it could've been a simple act of poor judgment on Smith's part dropping his kid off, on the other hand it could've totally been a passive aggressive power play that this douche made figuring his victim wouldn't call the cops.
* Perfectly happy being a Northwestern fan here, where I truly believe we run a generally clean program and none of Fitz, Phillips, Morty or Ryan would ever err on the side of keeping an assistant coach they think might be guilty of spousal abuse around "for the stability of the program," whether that would cost us the national championship, a loss at the Rose Bowl, or a loss against Ball State.
* Definitely glad I'm not in any position where people are keeping track of decisions I may or may not have made 15 minutes ago or 10 years ago...
* If it's proven conclusively and Urban gets fired, I can only hope that things like this and JoePa continue to compel people in highly visible positions of extreme power/influence to act/react honorably. If Urban knew about this, and with reasonable judgment thought it was an issue back in 2009, then he did nothing about it because he knew no one expected anything of him in this arena...it's good that times have changed.

Reactions: StreamCat
If he did know about it in 2015, and lied about it, do you think he did so for innocent reasons?

No doubt Urban Meyer would have known that making it public (in 2015) would end the coaching career of his assistant coach and rendered him unemployable as a coach for the rest of his life. No problem except that also decimates the entire family (including kids and wife) financially. He probably
figured it wasn’t his business unless the guy’s wife decided to press charges.

I’m fairly certain Meyer could easily have landed an excellent replacement coach.

It's very hard for me to believe he didn't know something wasn't kosher here. It's one thing to try and ride herd on the activities of 80-90 football players, but I would think your assistants, a much smaller group with whom you are spending literally hours a day with on a year-round basis over a period of years, are another matter. That said, I wasn't there and I'll see what the school comes up with.

Of course he knew something. Probably heard about his wife’s text. Probably heard from Smith that he and his wife had a terrible fight. Unless he was a witness to the violence (and only heard conflicting stories), it was absolutely not his business.

If somebody asks me if one of my employees beats his wife (after I hear a rumor of this at an office Christmas party), I’m going to say, “No, I have no knowledge of that.”

If I see the guy slap his wife, however, I’ll fire him, call the police and then go footballphil on the guy myself.

It is always the cover-up that makes matters worse. It sounds like Urban's denial at Media Days may be his undoing.

No doubt Urban Meyer would have known that making it public (in 2015) would end the coaching career of his assistant coach and rendered him unemployable as a coach for the rest of his life. No problem except that also decimates the entire family (including kids and wife) financially. He probably
figured it wasn’t his business unless the guy’s wife decided to press charges.

I’m fairly certain Meyer could easily have landed an excellent replacement coach.

No I’m saying why would he lie, recently to the media, about knowing about the 2015 incident?

No I’m saying why would he lie, recently to the media, about knowing about the 2015 incident?

Was it a lie? What could he know exactly even if 2nd and 3rd hand accounts made their way to him? He was not a witness to any event.

If somebody asks you a highly sensitive and extremely personal question about your friend or his family, is it a bad lie to claim that you knew nothing (when all you know is gossip/second hand crap)? Is it your responsibility to say that you may have heard some second hand gossip about it (even though you had no knowledge of what actually happened)?

Again, why is a college football coach supposed to get involved in the relationship between 2 adults?

Was it a lie? What could he know exactly even if 2nd and 3rd hand accounts made their way to him? He was not a witness to any event.

If somebody asks you a highly sensitive and extremely personal question about your friend or his family, is it a bad lie to claim that you knew nothing (when all you know is gossip/second hand crap)? Is it your responsibility to say that you may have heard some second hand gossip about it (even though you had no knowledge of what actually happened)?

Again, why is a college football coach supposed to get involved in the relationship between 2 adults?

“I was never told about anything, anything never came to light, never had a conversation about it, so I know nothing about that,” Meyer said last week.

The cover up is more relevant than the “crime.”

Reactions: Fitz51
Disagree...nothing that’s happen thus far can compare to the repeated atrocities that took place on the PSU campus involving Sandusky and those who aided and covered up for him (ahem...Paterno and company).
That's fair, we have no idea what dOSU administration knew and when. And, yes we can agree that repeated child sexual assault is a very low rung, but repeated spousal abuse (and cover up of same, if true), is really despicable. So I should have said similar to Paterno not PsU at large

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT