ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The future for smaller bowl games?

BosCat

Nov 29, 2008
Football in a "football" stadium? The venerable Miami Beach Bowl (3yrs old), bought by ESPN, is moving to Texas.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19211818/miami-beach-bowl-moving-frisco-texas

Seems like this is the last step before just having the games played in a lot in Bristol without any fans just so ESPN can get some content. Although, a full 20,000 seat stadium does give a better visual than 20,000 fans in a huge dome.

I guess you could have 20,000 amazing seats if you build a stadium of that capacity--pretty much all seats between the 30s, with seats neither too low to the field, nor too high up. You could construct luxury style boxes that are not nose bleed-inducing. The end zone "seats: could be open lawn-style areas where fans might wander down and watch plays down there as drives progress. Smaller crowds might be more mobile and less congested.

The Bahamas Bowl shows how small a crowd can be at a 20k seat stadium.

That said, I love bowl games and I wish there were one in prime time every day from early December (give the two win teams a participation trophy!) until the title game.

Here's to the Mr. Rooter Toilet Bowl, every year on December 6, in Waco, Texas! I've got Louisiana-Lafayette over North Texas.

Reactions: GlideCat
The Bahamas Bowl shows how small a crowd can be at a 20k seat stadium.

That said, I love bowl games and I wish there were one in prime time every day from early December (give the two win teams a participation trophy!) until the title game.

Here's to the Mr. Rooter Toilet Bowl, every year on December 6, in Waco, Texas! I've got Louisiana-Lafayette over North Texas.

I am awful, but I watch as many as I can. I know it is Holiday Season when I watch what I think is called the New Mexico Bowl.

Funny that about half the bowls have less attendance than our home average but we have " bad attendance" .

I bet our TV ratings are better than a lot of them too.

I heard Ryan Field will be down-sized to 20,000 seating capacity with the new renovations. It's the trend of the future, and will be a perfect match for our 6,800 seat bball arena.
Next step, is a move to the MAC and their 20,000 seat stadiums.

Football in a "football" stadium? The venerable Miami Beach Bowl (3yrs old), bought by ESPN, is moving to Texas.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19211818/miami-beach-bowl-moving-frisco-texas

Seems like this is the last step before just having the games played in a lot in Bristol without any fans just so ESPN can get some content. Although, a full 20,000 seat stadium does give a better visual than 20,000 fans in a huge dome.
I've been to that stadium in Frisco (Texas) to watch a soccer game, and I think it will be a great place for a bowl game. Nice, modern stadium with good sight lines.

Why do you need more than 20,000 seats for a bowl game between teams from the AAC and Sun Belt conferences? Our bowl game a few years ago against Texas Tech (featuring two P5 conference teams) was played in the cavernous Cotton Bowl, and the place was so empty it was an echo chamber. I like the idea of scaling down and playing in more appropriately sized venues.

Reactions: Noah121
I've been to that stadium in Frisco (Texas) to watch a soccer game, and I think it will be a great place for a bowl game. Nice, modern stadium with good sight lines.

Why do you need more than 20,000 seats for a bowl game between teams from the AAC and Sun Belt conferences? Our bowl game a few years ago against Texas Tech (featuring two P5 conference teams) was played in the cavernous Cotton Bowl, and the place was so empty it was an echo chamber. I like the idea of scaling down and playing in more appropriately sized venues.
The games are more about the TV revenues anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT