ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the US Open golf tournament at Torrey Pines this weekend

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
I live in Del Mar near Torrey Pines golf course and the Torrey Pines State Reserve (where I have a lifetime pass to the park). The US Open returned to Torrey Pines after the historic comeback win by Tiger in 2008 there. Though I don’t golf I’ve walked the course many times and pre-pandemic had many meals at the Torrey Pines Lodge overlooking the golf course. The Grille at the Lodge has the best drugstore cheeseburger and you can’t beat the views from different spots at the Lodge. Years ago I walked the course during the annual early spring tournament event (now it’s called the Farmer’s Open) and followed Luke Donald around the course. I wore my Northwestern gear that day and got his attention. Before I retired I had an office at UCSD overlooking the 10th and 11th holes of the south course. We could always tell by the size of the crowd when Tiger was coming our way.

Torrey Pines is a pretty affordable place to play since it’s a public course- you get a discount as a San Diego resident. San Diego has lots of nice courses in the county including the desert. I’m a regular visitor to Borrego Springs- I like going out for lunch at Rams Hill curse which is another beautiful spot in the desert. I’m rooting for Phil this time at the Open but don’t think he can pull it off in this Open.

Last edited:
I live in Del Mar near Torrey Pines golf course and the Torrey Pines State Reserve (where I have a lifetime pass to the park). The US Open returned to Torrey Pines after the historic comeback win by Tiger in 2008 there. Though I don’t golf I’ve walked the course many times and pre-pandemic had many meals at the Lodge overlooking the golf course. The Grille there has the best drugstore cheeseburger and you can’t beat the views. Years ago I walked the course during the annual early spring tournament event (now it’s called the Farmer’s Open) and followed Luke Donald around the course. I wore my Northwestern gear that day and got his attention. Before I retired I had an office at UCSD overlooking the 10th and 11th holes of the south course. It’s pretty affordable place to play since it’s a public course- you do get a discount as a San Diego resident. San Diego has lots of nice courses. I’m a regular visitor to Borrego Springs I like going out for lunch at Rams Hill which is another beautiful spot. I’m rooting for Phil this time at the Open but don’t think he can pull it off.
Beautiful course! Hope the little guys wins! Louis Oostzhasion!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT