ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Women's Golf Killing It

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Earlier this week, Fitz and CCC met with the Women's team ahead of the NCAA Championship to pump them up. Fitz brought his "Trust Yourself" stick, and Collins told them they are darned good. Well, the Cats are alone in first place by 8 strokes after 2 rounds. Tomorrow is the final round of stroke play before the top 8 teams go into Match play Tuesday.

Cats have a decent chance of winning it all. Go Cats!

http://www.nusports.com/news/2017/5/21/17NCAA_3.aspx

http://scoring.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=12853

Last edited:
Earlier this week, Fitz and CCC met with the Women's team ahead of the NCAA Championship to pump them up. Fitz brought his "Trust Yourself" stick, and Collins told them they are darned good. Well, the Cats are alone in first place by 8 strokes after 2 rounds. Tomorrow is the final round of stroke play before the top 8 teams go into Match play Tuesday.

Cats have a decent chance of winning it all. Go Cats!
Wow. I had no idea. Thats fantastic. The women sports teams seem to be much more competitive than men sports. Another National Championship would be sweet.

It blows my mind how much golf they have to play to win the national championship. 72 holes followed by three rounds of match play, all in six days. At least one of the first four days got rained out, so this year it's only 54 holes to start.

Great job by the NU women. It is not easy for cold-weather schools to be this good in golf. Maybe the bad weather and local environment is working as a home-field advantage of sorts. Let's hope they can bring the whole thing home.

Hopefully "bathroomgate" won't cost them the title. One of the team took a cart to go to the can (2 stroke penalty).

Hopefully "bathroomgate" won't cost them the title. One of the team took a cart to go to the can (2 stroke penalty).

What happened? Cats still hanging onto first place, with the third round just started.

When you gotta go, you gotta go I guess. NU sitting pretty comfortably in first place for the stroke play portion at this point of the NCAA championship. Amazing performance. Fitz and Collins would be proud.

Talk about over-regulating a bodily function... I wonder if Ms. Cho could have avoided the 2-stroke penalty if she had just "done her business" behind a bush out of bounds. If confronted by a tourney official after having "dropped trow," she could have retorted: "I simp[ly was looking for my ball following a wayward tee shot. In the end, I found it in the middle of the fairway."

Talk about over-regulating a bodily function... I wonder if Ms. Cho could have avoided the 2-stroke penalty if she had just "done her business" behind a bush out of bounds. If confronted by a tourney official after having "dropped trow," she could have retorted: "I simp[ly was looking for my ball following a wayward tee shot. In the end, I found it in the middle of the fairway."

:D

A little more difficult for women to do it in the bushes than guys.

Watching on Golf Channel, and these idiots aren't showing NU at all. Seems they're only following the individual championship.

Cats win! Golf Channel ignores the team, focused on #8 Kent State just making the cut and the individuals. Geez!

NU takes down Kent State in the quarterfinal round. On to the semifinals, starting at 2:20 this afternoon, against USC. Other semifinal is Arizona State-Stanford.

Last edited:
NU takes down Kent State in the quarterfinal round. On to the semifinals, starting at 2:20 this afternoon, against USC. Other semifinal is Arizona State-Stanford.

Lady Cats survived quite the hey maker punch from KSU right out of the shoot today. On the outward 9, the top 3 guns for the Golden Flashes were a combined 6 under par. And it only takes 3 wins for the upset. But the Cats absorbed the punch and went on to win. Key stretch may have been Kim's consecutive birdies on 9,10 & 11. Turned a 1 down match at the turn into a match winning point for the Cats.

Will tee it up again this afternoon vs. USC. Mental and physical toughness may be as much a factor as anything vs the Trojans. Both team have played a ton of golf in challenging weather conditions since last Friday. Neither team had an easy match this morning. Should be a good one with an edge to whichever team is better equipped to sustain the mental and physical grind of a long tournament on a killer golf course.

Go Cats!!!!

GOUNUII

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Lady Cats survived quite the hey maker punch from KSU right out of the shoot today. On the outward 9, the top 3 guns for the Golden Flashes were a combined 6 under par. And it only takes 3 wins for the upset. But the Cats absorbed the punch and went on to win. Key stretch may have been Kim's consecutive birdies on 9,10 & 11. Turned a 1 down match at the turn into a match winning point for the Cats.

Will tee it up again this afternoon vs. USC. Mental and physical toughness may be as much a factor as anything vs the Trojans. Both team have played a ton of golf in challenging weather conditions since last Friday. Neither team had an easy match this morning. Should be a good one with an edge to whichever team is better equipped to sustain the mental and physical grind of a long tournament on a killer golf course.

Go Cats!!!!

GOUNUII
They will also have to continue battling the elements. It's been drizzling up this way, very dreary but little or no wind. I'm about 8 miles from the Rich Harvest course and noticed some loafer then normal planes parked at Sandwich International. Could be for the NCAA big wigs.

Take it to the Other Sports board.

(Just kidding - I never look at the Other Sports board, and I'm happy when this stuff makes it here. All my lax, football, and wrestling knowledge comes from the Wildcat Football Board.)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
They will also have to continue battling the elements. It's been drizzling up this way, very dreary but little or no wind. I'm about 8 miles from the Rich Harvest course and noticed some loafer then normal planes parked at Sandwich International. Could be for the NCAA big wigs.

How is the paved surface at Sanwich International? :)

The Lady Cats have their work cut out for them, down 4-1 vs. USC when match play resumes. Just need to flip 2 of those matches to advance to the finals vs. Stanford. Get 'er done Cats!!!

congrats to the team - and to Janet Mao who comes through in the clutch to secure the team win in sudden death (or whatever its called in NCAA match play parlance). Taking on ASU in the Finals.

Nice to outclass our west coast rivals in both Stanford and USC. :D

That was really exciting stuff. Huge clutch putt for NU, and then the USC player leaves her putt to tie an inch short. Championship round against ASU, coverage starts at 3pm CT on Golf Channel.

That was really exciting stuff. Huge clutch putt for NU, and then the USC player leaves her putt to tie an inch short. Championship round against ASU, coverage starts at 3pm CT on Golf Channel.

Very excited for the Women. Showed great resilience after their melt-down in the Big 10 tournament. Wishing them success this afternoon!

It was looking grim for the Cats but they pull it out! Win that championship!

It was looking grim for the Cats but they pull it out! Win that championship!
Yes they dug themselves a bit of a hole but came back strong when needed. Weather out this way is still lousy. Cold & drizzle continue but maybe the ladies can turn the elements against warm weather ASU. Go Cat's!

Yes they dug themselves a bit of a hole but came back strong when needed. Weather out this way is still lousy. Cold & drizzle continue but maybe the ladies can turn the elements against warm weather ASU. Go Cat's!

willy, are you attending the competition? If so, do something to get yourself noticed by the Golf Channel cameras... :D

Rough start for NU but a long way to go.

Edit: Righting the ship.

Last edited:
willy, are you attending the competition? If so, do something to get yourself noticed by the Golf Channel cameras... :D
Was planning on it but currently experiencing some major electric problems at the house. They are supposedly going to host the men's Big Ten Tournament NCAA's at Rich Harvest as well. Might try and get over for that.

Sadly, it was not to be, as Arizona State takes the crown 3-1-1. Hell of an effort by the NU women - still the best finish in program history.

Reactions: its_the_sauce
Was planning on it but currently experiencing some major electric problems at the house. They are supposedly going to host the men's Big Ten Tournament NCAA's at Rich Harvest as well. Might try and get over for that.

When I first read your post, I thought it was Wrassler making another patented excuse. Not so. Hope the electrical problems are not too serious.

BTW, do you live anywhere near Geneva?

Sadly, it was not to be, as Arizona State takes the crown 3-1-1. Hell of an effort by the NU women - still the best finish in program history.

Lady Cats exceeded expectations against ASU and hung on until the end. Winning stroke play and finishing runnerup in match play is outstanding for the ladies. Great job! Coach Emily Fletcher has the program trending up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT