ADVERTISEMENT

Other than the Cats

GatoLouco

Nov 14, 2019
Indianapolis
Are there other teams, other than the Cats, that you like and cheer for? Why?

Are there teams you loathe? Why?

Like:
-Marquette - because the wife went there
-Butler - because I go to 80% of their games
-Minny - somewhat like because wife's family is from MN

Dislike:
-Duke
-Kentucky
-North Carolina
-Kansas

No explanation needed.

Reactions: ricko654321

Like:

Dislike:
-Duke
-Kentucky
-North Carolina
-Kansas

No explanation needed.

I root for MSU cause I think Izzo has been a class act and they are the best program in the big ten so the conference is often perceived thru their success

Well, this is a cheat...but, at the moment, I am all about the #22 ranked Northwestern Women's Basketball team!

The 16-2 Wildcats play at Michigan State this evening at 5:30pm CDT. The game will be be broadcast on BTN+ and wnur.org. (For those who don't want to spring for the BTN+ subscription: I listened to the Indiana game on WNUR, and I have to say that those student announcers were a lot fun.)

In other women's hoops news: Sophomore guard Veronica Burton was named to the Naismith Women's Defensive Player of the Year 2020 Midseason Team, as announced by the Atlanta Tipoff Club Thursday morning.

Go 'Cats!

I root for Cincinnati (grew up there), UConn (current employer) and I guess sorta' now Michigan (where all of my money goes).

Least favorite in the BIG;
Probably Iowa
(I don't even acknowledge Ped State)

I echo what torque-cat said about MSU and Izzo.

I cheer for UTEP because I grew up in El Paso, watching the great Don Haskins teams from the '80s and early '90s. I also have a master's degree from UTEP.

Dislike:
NMSU - Battle of I-10
BYU - Hated UTEP rival from the WAC days.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Duke.

I got my Masters from there and sometimes it feels good to, you know, actually win most of the games and a few championships now and then.

But I admit they're a distant second to NU. I guess I'm a sucker for hopeless causes. ;)

Like:

Dislike:
-Duke
-Kentucky
-North Carolina
-Kansas

No explanation needed.
Good topic!

Like:
- Marquette: lots of friends went there
- Butler: fun team that plays old school bball with good fundamentals
- UNC: residual from MJ love growing up in Chicago
- most of the B1G teams (against OOC), but especially MSU, Wisconsin.
- Colorado: not sure? Buffaloes are cool, I have a couple good friends who grew up in Colo
- UVA: similar reasons to Butler, like the way they play.
- Baylor / TT: I think? Like them over the rest of the Big 12.
- Nova to some extent - friends from Philly, they pass and shoot well

Dislike:
- Minnesota: don't really like Pitino (still will cheer for them against non B1G)
- Duke: cause I like UNC
- Kansas, UK
- In fact, basically the entire SEC, maybe with 2 exceptions

Last edited:
I grew up rooting for John Chaney's Temple program along with the rest of the Philly Big 5+1 (Nova, St. Joe's, La Salle and Penn, with Drexel as red-headed stepchild).

The only team I truly loathe in basketball is Purdue, due to their fanbase. Easily the whiniest fans in the conference, one of the best times I had at a game was going to the NCAA tournament in Chicago in 2011 to watch VCU kick the snot out of the Boilers.

I grew up rooting for John Chaney's Temple program along with the rest of the Philly Big 5+1 (Nova, St. Joe's, La Salle and Penn, with Drexel as red-headed stepchild).

The only team I truly loathe in basketball is Purdue, due to their fanbase. Easily the whiniest fans in the conference, one of the best times I had at a game was going to the NCAA tournament in Chicago in 2011 to watch VCU kick the snot out of the Boilers.
That's so interesting your thoughts on Purdue. For me, I'd say the same thing about Iowa fans which is why I dislike them the most.

Reactions: drewjin
Good topic!

Like:
- Marquette: lots of friends went there
- UNC: residual from MJ love growing up in Chicago
- most of the B1G teams (against OOC), but especially MSU, Wisconsin.
- Colorado: not sure? Buffaloes are cool, I have a couple good friends who grew up in Colo
- UVA: similar reasons to Butler, like the way they play.
- Baylor / TT: I think? Like them over the rest of the Big 12.
- Nova to some extent - friends from Philly, they pass and shoot well

Dislike:
- Minnesota: don't really like Pitino (still will cheer for them against non B1G)
- Duke: cause I like UNC
- Kansas, UK
- In fact, basically the entire SEC, maybe with 2 exceptions
Baylor? It's a cesspool with athletes involved in drugs and sexual assaults. One kid on the BB team was shot dead during a drug deal by I think another player and the coach tried to hush it up. Met a few of their fans when Baylor played in Evanston, awhile back and they were total a-holes. Ken Starr was their president, when the assaults were taking place, supposedly knew about it and did nothing, finally forced to resign. Now he's representing another jerk.

Baylor? It's a cesspool with athletes involved in drugs and sexual assaults. One kid on the BB team was shot dead during a drug deal by I think another player and the coach tried to hush it up.
No, it's worse than that. The murder was not about drugs but the coach (Bliss) tried to get the rest of the team to lie and say that the murdered player was tied up in drugs.

Like:
Idaho State (I broadcast their home games)
St. Louis U (grew up in the area and rooted for them as a kid)

Used to Like:
Missouri and Illinois: growing up in the Bi-State area, they were our teams. I still kinda like Mizzou, but ever since I went to NU in the 1970s, the Illini are on my "dislike" list
DePaul: Really enjoyed watching them in the Dave Corzine-Joe Ponsetto era, and became a big fan when Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings and crew played for Ray Meyer. They broke my heart when they lost to St. Joe's in the tourney. But their allure ended decades ago, shortly after Ray left.

Hate:
Duke, Kentucky (it would be like rooting for the Yankees or the Patriots, ugh...)
Montana: they kick Idaho State's ass every year. 16 straight and counting....

That's so interesting your thoughts on Purdue. For me, I'd say the same thing about Iowa fans which is why I dislike them the most.
Oh, Iowa is the team I loathe the most when it comes to football for the same reasons, but I just don't find their basketball fanbase to be quite as awful. Maybe it's because they haven't won anything of consequence in 40 years.

Reactions: TheC
Baylor? It's a cesspool with athletes involved in drugs and sexual assaults. One kid on the BB team was shot dead during a drug deal by I think another player and the coach tried to hush it up. Met a few of their fans when Baylor played in Evanston, awhile back and they were total a-holes. Ken Starr was their president, when the assaults were taking place, supposedly knew about it and did nothing, finally forced to resign. Now he's representing another jerk.
Likes don’t have to be entirely rational. Also, that was a long time ago (2003?). I may be wrong (I certainly don’t follow them that closely), but I don’t think the current b-ball team under Scott Drew has had issues with player behavior. Rhule seemed to be on the way to cleaning things up on the football side too. Don’t get me wrong, their AD had some very serious issues in the fairly recent past, but I believe that they have reformed since their mistakes. Also, campus at large doesn’t necessarily reflect that - it’s a fairly religious school with a lot of good kids who go there and don’t reflect the terrible headlines and events that came out of the football team.

What's funny is the hatred for Duke. Anytime a program has sustained success, the fan base becomes a bit arrogant, and the downtrodden teams hate the reigning king. I stumbled across some message board for women's lacrosse several years ago during NU's heyday, and the hatred for the Lady Cats was at first stunning -- they called us the "the Evil Empire" -- but I realized how understandable it is. If only we got to that point in football and basketball.

Reactions: NUCat320
I
Well, this is a cheat...but, at the moment, I am all about the #22 ranked Northwestern Women's Basketball team!

The 16-2 Wildcats play at Michigan State this evening at 5:30pm CDT. The game will be be broadcast on BTN+ and wnur.org. (For those who don't want to spring for the BTN+ subscription: I listened to the Indiana game on WNUR, and I have to say that those student announcers were a lot fun.)

In other women's hoops news: Sophomore guard Veronica Burton was named to the Naismith Women's Defensive Player of the Year 2020 Midseason Team, as announced by the Atlanta Tipoff Club Thursday morning.

Go 'Cats!
Go Ladycats!

Especially when filling out March Madness brackets, I root for:

Arizona
Davidson
Kansas State
Kentucky
Northwestern
Villanova

plus

Bethune-Cookman
New Hampshire
Weber State

Lots of years, I have Arizona, Kentucky & Villanova in my Final Four.

#ExtendedWildcatFamily

Butler is a joy to watch.
-Significantly undersized
-No post play
-Point guard with no jump shot, even from midrange

And, yet, they win.

Minnesota, feel sorry for Oturu, he deserves to be better coached.

I root for
Butler - long family history
Evansville - my undergrad school, and boy the recent coach stuff there kills me
The B1G - when they play outside the conference.

I root against
The basketball factories like
NC, KY, KS, Duke, etc.

Great topic!

I'm a Seton Hall fan because I grew up in jersey and still fondly remember the 1989 Final Four team (Terry Dehere) that lost to Glen Rice and Michigan. I also now root for Texas because I love Shaka Smart (previously would root for VCU).

In the BIG my second favorite team is the Badgers because Madison is the best college town that I've ever been to (including Evanston). Before kids, that was the perfect weekend trip for me and the wife. Beer, sausage, and politics is my jam.

I know that you are being supportive, but I think that the Ladycats are the dance squad, whereas the basketball team (for both men and women) is the Wildcats. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Coming from Wrassler, he was probably trolling. There was already some argument about whether the term is PC

* DePaul - I grew up with the Ray and Joey teams, and I'd love to see them and the Cats become dominant forces in their leagues ... the Cats more. The NU/DePaul game this year was fun.
* Indiana - Just a bit because I graduated from there, but I'm not really big into some type of dedication to my alma mater. Obviously that has long faded away. It's also hard to root for Archie Miller.
* Loyola - Once again, it's a Chicago thing. Plus, how can you root against Porter Moser?
* Purdue - This is a last-minute addition, but I really like Painter and the way his teams play. I find myself looking for them on TV.

Who do I root against?
* I-L-L - Don't get me started. There's attitude around that program that is simply disgusting.
* Duke - Ditto. This becomes a real problem since Chrissy is my coach.
* Fran McCaffery - What a f-ing nutjob. Go win something of consequence then you can turn red all you want about every little inconsequential call.
* Lil' Ricky Pitino - Another entitled do-nothing.
* Anybody caught on FBI tapes - I can't believe Kansas and ESPECIALLY Arizona are still allowed to play this year. You can probably add Duke to this list as well as other schools.
* Penn State - The fallout from Sandusky showed the true colors of that fan base.

Yea, I have some issues.

Yea, I have some issues.

This was probably 15 years ago...but I remember a poster (no idea who at this point) calling you Sec.666 for what he/she perceived as your persistent negativity. Your post above reminded me of that. Sorry for the digression. Some of us have been around here a long time... It's nice/rare to have 'Cats fans who aren't alums. I really appreciate you supporting the 'Cats (and all the Chicago area teams) all these years. You do seem to have it out for most of the other B1G teams!

... Sec.666 ...

Sure, I'll own it. I have no problem having a little heart :) in my fandom. It only comes out every once in a while.

If I remember correctly, I think 666 was about much more than my negativity. It was probably well deserved following some petulant attack of mine.

Reactions: go cats go
Teams I root for:

Loyola Chicago -- personal Porter Moser connection, plus Gentile Center is a fun venue
All Big East teams -- pro-Catholic bias, plus Butler
Michigan and Wisconsin -- family/personal connections

Teams I root against:

Illinois -- you name it: undeservedly arrogant fan base, red-a$$ coach, the color orange...

What's funny is the hatred for Duke. Anytime a program has sustained success, the fan base becomes a bit arrogant, and the downtrodden teams hate the reigning king. I stumbled across some message board for women's lacrosse several years ago during NU's heyday, and the hatred for the Lady Cats was at first stunning -- they called us the "the Evil Empire" -- but I realized how understandable it is. If only we got to that point in football and basketball.
One of the things is the built in advantages that a particular program has. ND in FB is compared with us but the advantages they have make it diffoicult to compete. FOr example, the constant coverage of the program in Chicago area. Separate TV contract etc. With Duke it is an admissions systems that is basically a joke and we are considered in the same group of academic institutions. OSU, Mich and PSU that have people ready to sign up just when the name is used.

I lived in Ann Arbor for 3 years. I initially liked Michigan just because I was living there. The fondness faded away over time.

The reason: Ann Arbor itself. It's not like it's not a cool place. It is. But I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the locals did not make it a point to remind me (and everyone they can) how much of a God's gift to the world Ann Arbor is.

At a point there were t-shirts saying "New York/Paris/Ann Arbor". You'd think they were ironic. They were not.

Like:
Idaho State (I broadcast their home games)
St. Louis U (grew up in the area and rooted for them as a kid)

Used to Like:
Missouri and Illinois: growing up in the Bi-State area, they were our teams. I still kinda like Mizzou, but ever since I went to NU in the 1970s, the Illini are on my "dislike" list
DePaul: Really enjoyed watching them in the Dave Corzine-Joe Ponsetto era, and became a big fan when Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings and crew played for Ray Meyer. They broke my heart when they lost to St. Joe's in the tourney. But their allure ended decades ago, shortly after Ray left.

Hate:
Duke, Kentucky (it would be like rooting for the Yankees or the Patriots, ugh...)
Montana: they kick Idaho State's ass every year. 16 straight and counting....

Just checking if you received my email. Was Sent recently through the email portion of this thread. Had question in it about possible joint acquaintance. Now I want to know if you recall Judd Worley of U of I in Moscow. I married into loving Idaho always (all ways). She was from IF.

No longer pay much much attention to D1 athletics beyond the sphere of NU anymore. Don’t like where D1 is currently at, or worse, where it may be headed.

I’m a fan of several small-college teams (and root against a few), but I won’t waste time bothering people with lists.

In high school my big love was the St. Louis Hawks. They were mostly a stranger to championships. When I got to Evanston, I fell in love with The Wildcats. I ended up carrying a grudge against ADOLPH RUPP for years over Dan Issel choosing THOSE Wildcats. Now that I am apart-timer in Arizona, I enjoy watching the progress Majerle is making with Grand Canyon, but it rivals NU for constant desperateness.

Teams I root for:

Loyola Chicago -- personal Porter Moser connection, plus Gentile Center is a fun venue
All Big East teams -- pro-Catholic bias, plus Butler

Teams I root against:

Illinois -- you name it: undeservedly arrogant fan base, red-a$$ coach, the color orange...

Fellow Big East fan checking in (Seton Hall for me) what's your take on the new conference? The old Big East collapsing is one of the saddest moments sports moments for me. Syracuse in the ACC? UCONN in the America East? Ugh. I still long for the days when St. Johns was relevant with Chris Mullin and Felipe Lopez. Creighton in the Big East? Come on . . .

Fellow Big East fan checking in (Seton Hall for me) what's your take on the new conference? The old Big East collapsing is one of the saddest moments sports moments for me. Syracuse in the ACC? UCONN in the America East? Ugh. I still long for the days when St. Johns was relevant with Chris Mullin and Felipe Lopez. Creighton in the Big East? Come on . . .
Well, UConn is coming back to the Big East next year, so that's one step in the right direction.

What's funny is the hatred for Duke. Anytime a program has sustained success, the fan base becomes a bit arrogant, and the downtrodden teams hate the reigning king ...

"A bit?"

You've never spent three days in a city with a large contingent of Duke fans, have you?

I went to a Final Four where multiple bars with no competing interest starting turning away fans wearing Duke gear.

It's more than simply disliking the big kid on the block.

"A bit?"

You've never spent three days in a city with a large contingent of Duke fans, have you?

I went to a Final Four where multiple bars with no competing interest starting turning away fans wearing Duke gear.

Got it but we could just hope that someday folks will have that same feeling toward NU.

"A bit?"

I bet this isn’t true....

I also cheer for Cleveland State. I was a student there (didn’t finish), and was a student manager for their 1994-95 team, then did some work for the SID after that season.

I hadn’t been to a game there In probably 20 years until last season, when I friend from HS said he was getting season tickets, so I got in on that. It’s fun to go to the games, and it’s the closest D1 program to me. I can get there in a half hour.

I’ve lived most of my life in Northeast Ohio, and the CSU Vikings are the only Ohio team that I care about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT