ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald needs to be fired

Almost every team's fans other than maybe Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State think that their head coach screws up clock management and in-game decisions. I watched the bowl game between Alabama and Ohio State a couple of years ago and thought that both coaches mismanaged the clock. We have won more close games than we have lost and we have won many more games than our talent would predict, which suggests that our in-game coaching is not bad. I thought that he held on to his timeouts at the end of the Nebraska game because with 3 timeouts he could keep Nebraska from running out the clock if we didn't recover the onside kick. We need to be able to convert on 3rd and 4th down without having to burn a timeout.

As for special teams, give me a break. Our coverage teams are better than they ever were under Walker. It's not even close. Our punting is finally good and our punt returner is actually doing a nice job, which is what everyone has been bitching about for the past few years since Mark left the team. Vault has returned a couple of kick-offs for touchdowns. Our kicker, a senior who has previously had some success, is struggling. It happens. We've had some good field goal kickers under Fitzgerald, which suggests that he can coach the position. In my opinion, the issues that need to be addressed are why our offense has been consistently average or below average and, more importantly, why our offensive line has been consistently below average.

Bingo! Some here need to watch other games and look at the horrible time and game management blunders by others like Ferentz, Franklin, Anderson, and even Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. Fitz is better than average from what I can see. Hindsight is always 20/20 and a thousand minds are always better than one.

Of course the donors differ but you're moving the football on us. First it was NU lacks donors with enough money. Then it changed to NU lacks athletics donors. Now it's probably going to shift to football donors.

Like I said look at the names on the new athletic facilities. The Ryans are still there but Dr Jim Feel Good has expanded the rolodex

This is a football board. Of course I was talking about athletic and football donors.

Your fans just need to lower your expectations. How many years does Fitz need to coach before some of you realize he will never recruit enough talent to be truly competitive with the power teams in the B1G? Yeah I am sure he is a nice guy but an above average coach he is not.

If we could get an OC with Hankwitz's resume, well damn.

Art Briles anyone?

That will NEVER happen.

1) Briles wants to be a head coach, not a coordinator. He'll get another P-5 gig, perhaps this off season.

2) Way too much baggage for NU

That being said, if you are going to move away from McCall (I'm not so sure that's the best move) I would love to see someone influenced by the Briles Spread-Veer (nobody in the BIG is running it verbatim). I'm not optimistic could NU swipe them from Syracuse (no reason to leave Dino and doubt they run in the same circles as Fitz), but the duo of Sean Lewis and Mike Lynch would be at the top of my wish list (which means Cushing would be out too).

Last edited:
That will NEVER happen.

1) Briles wants to be a head coach, not a coordinator. He'll get another P-5 gig, perhaps this off season.

2) Way too much baggage for NU

That being said, if you are going to move away from McCall (I'm not so sure that's the best move) I would love to see someone influenced by the Briles Spread-Veer (nobody in the BIG is running it verbatim). I'm not optimistic could NU swipe them from Syracuse (no reason to leave Dino and doubt they run in the same circles as Fitz), but the duo of Sean Lewis and Mike Lynch would be at the top of my wish list (which means Cushing would be out too).

If it means Cushing is out, I'm all for it.

Reactions: IGNORE2
You would promote a 70 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach before, in attempt to take the program to the next level? Think there would be a little negative recruiting against NU about how long Hank would continue to coach? Hank has been coaching for 45 years, why has no other Power 5 program seen the hidden potential you see?
To be fair, I think Hank was HC for a brief period. Still, the best you could do with him is Interim HC if it was mid season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT