ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips says shovels will go in ground after LAX season

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
BTN interviewed NU AD Jim Phillips, who said that shovels will go in the ground for the new athletic facility after lacrosse season. He also called it a $260 million facility -- that's the first time I heard that number.

Phillips needs to set a specific date. Otherwise, that could be January 2016.

Originally posted by Lou V:

BTN interviewed NU AD Jim Phillips, who said that shovels will go in the ground for the new athletic facility after lacrosse season. He also called it a $260 million facility -- that's the first time I heard that number.
After lacrosse season of which year?
mad.r191677.gif

I just watched the interview. What he said was the shovels would go in the ground "for the new fields" after LAX season ends. He didn't say anything about shovels in the ground for the big complex, although he did mention permits in passing. Not as positive as I thought it would be.

Honestly...whatever. I have great respect for Phillips but this was clearly a carefully worded answer designed to give hope without making any sort of promise of progress.

More than anything I just have concern about truth in advertising for our recruits.

He talks about a "master facilities plan", I wonder if they are going to build stuff in stages, starting with the playing fields for Field Hockey, LAX and the football practice field, followed shortly by the locker room/training complex, and lastly by the indoor facility, which presumably has the biggest permitting issues........

And it has been in stages the first stage was the required parking garage which is now complete. Actually a very nice parking garage at that,

True dat. But it sure clutters up the area. Open spaces are really disappearing andit seems like stuff is just thrown together.

Have to wait till after last game of playoffs as the Lakeside facility is also the practice field.

The answers to these questions may be obvious but, hell, I'll ask them anyway . . . I don't give a damn about ridicule:

When does lacrosse season end?

What does lacrosse season have to do with planting shovels in the ground?

Lacrosse season will end after it is determined whether NU hosts any NCAA payoff games in early May.

Lakeside Field (and the field hockey) is being moved 40 feet or so north to provide sufficient room south of it for the football field.

Originally posted by willycat:

Does NU really need separate fields for LAX and Field Hockey? Why?
Yes, different surfaces are preferred. Field hockey prefers smooth short "grass" while lacrosse prefers modern turf with small rubber pellets. UVA men play on "astroturf" in bad weather because women's field hockey has the rights to the stadium in the spring.

So the football team will practice exclusively on turf not natural grass. I wonder if this means NU will be installing turf at Ryan Field?

No. Lakeside is field turf. Other venues can be grass. For instance, when LAX played USC in the Coliseum it was on grass.

Sometime in the 1970's, the field hockey powers to be concluded that the game was better/faster on the short pile astroturf/carpet surfaces and mandated it for all international play which was then adopted for the most part by the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT