ADVERTISEMENT

Photos of the Temporary Football Stadium

pschatz25

Nov 29, 2005
Now that commencement is in the rear view mirror I figured construction of the temporary football stadium would be getting started. Yesterday I took a spin by the Lakefill to check out out the site. They've already made a noticeable amount of progress. The goalposts have already been installed. The South stands are going up (first image). The existing West side (third image) is being at least somewhat dismantled (or reconfigured?). There's nothing is going on with the North stands yet. And on the East side (second image) there are some temporary sections of bleachers lining the sideline. I have to assume the finished East side will be nicer than this, but based on how they described it on that Zoom call it does make me wonder how much nicer it's going to get.

Rich (BB code):

Now that commencement is in the rear view mirror I figured construction of the temporary football stadium would be getting started. Yesterday I took a spin by the Lakefill to check out out the site. They've already made a noticeable amount of progress. The goalposts have already been installed. The South stands are going up (first image). The existing West side (third image) is being at least somewhat dismantled (or reconfigured?). There's nothing is going on with the North stands yet. And on the East side (second image) there are some temporary sections of bleachers lining the sideline. I have to assume the finished East side will be nicer than this, but based on how they described it on that Zoom call it does make me wonder how much nicer it's going to get.

East side isn't going to be built up so they can easily swap in the stage for all the concerts -- including a 2yr Taylor Swift residency that might bring one or two fans into the neighborhood...

Rich (BB code):

Is there enough space on the east side to locate the stands without taking down the stand of trees? Before they released the schematics, I was hoping there would be no east stands and folks could stand at the fence line and watch the game through the trees. That would have created a cool kind of area over there for kids, a bit like that hill at the little league World Series.

Reactions: Dugan15
Is there enough space on the east side to locate the stands without taking down the stand of trees? Before they released the schematics, I was hoping there would be no east stands and folks could stand at the fence line and watch the game through the trees. That would have created a cool kind of area over there for kids, a bit like that hill at the little league World Series.

I went by this morning and they were trimming trees on the East side. I'll have to check back to see if they removed any of them. I had been thinking it would be really tight to fit a football team, benches/equipment, and ~10 rows of bleachers in front of the trees.

Here are a few more recent pictures (some from Friday, some from this morning). The existing West side has been reduced to a few rows, with the press box now sitting on the Lakefill south of the stadium. The bleachers along the East side have been removed. They were trimming trees along the East side this morning. No work on the North side yet.

Rich (BB code):

Reminds me of the bleachers in the pre-1983 McGaw hall. Boy would those sway if a crowd got jumping

Reactions: EagerFan
Yes, remember it well. From a state-of-the-art field house in the ‘50s, to a dusty splintered barn, to a state-of-the-art venue now. For football we’ll be in a similar progression with the same end in sight. Without the splinters.

Here's a few recent pictures of progress at Martin Stadium. The East Side bleachers are being installed. As far as I could tell the trees on that side were only trimmed, not removed. The existing West Side is still being disassembled. I'm really curious to see what they do there. They haven't started putting in seats on the North Side. The existing scoreboard has been taken down.

Rich (BB code):

Is this going to be like hs games where you can still watch the action even if you are not in the "stadium?"

I highly doubt it. I expect they'll restrict access to the areas around the stadium on game days. Even if you could stand where I took those pictures I doubt you'd see much with the team on the sideline, fans, equipment, and any NU/sponsor signage that is added. I do support the idea of allowing people to walk by and check out some of the game though. My first exposure to NU football was watching games through the gate at the Northwest corner of the old stadium. Eventually my Dad decided to get tickets and I've been going ever since.

Will the lakefill path be closed to pedestrian through traffic during games? It won’t be obstructed by stands so that it’s totally closed, will it?

My first exposure to NU football was watching games through the gate at the Northwest corner of the old stadium. Eventually my Dad decided to get tickets and I've been going ever since.
So was mine when I was just a youngster. Then my dad bought tickets in the upper deck for a couple of games in the early 50s. And I was hooked for life. Love the temporary stadium on the lake idea, regardless of how it works out.

Will the lakefill path be closed to pedestrian through traffic during games? It won’t be obstructed by stands so that it’s totally closed, will it?

I finally tracked down the campus map shown during the info session about a month ago. This confirms that access will be restricted to the entire Lakefill on game days. So the Lakefill path will be closed to the public during games.

Rich (BB code):

That’s going to be a really cool experience.

Press boxes have been added to the top of the West stands. North bleachers have started going up. Also, there was a quote from NU in a recent NU/Evanston webinar saying capacity would be more like 12k than 15k.

Rich (BB code):

Is that's because of the realities of building the stadium and/or what they've learned along the way . . . or because of how season ticket sales went??

Not surprisingly, there was no elaboration about the decrease in capacity.

Not surprisingly, there was no elaboration about the decrease in capacity.
It appears to me there are 800-1000 unsold tix in the south stands as of now. Plus any they are holding back in the student section. I would guess at some point they will release more north stands tix for the first three games as they occur prior to school starting.

Is that's because of the realities of building the stadium and/or what they've learned along the way . . . or because of how season ticket sales went??
I bought a ticket to Hydroxide in the South stands, high up aisle, for $136. Demand must be pretty weak to sell this far in advance for less than face value. If they are hoping for a pop for B1G games then they better hope they don't move Wisky to Wrigley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT