ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell

catcrazy

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Why not offer the world to this guy. He has shown his chops to turn around a team that was down out at the lower levels and now the P6 level.

Reactions: The Purple Knight
Why not offer the world to this guy. He has shown his chops to turn around a team that was down out at the lower levels and now the P6 level.
He's an east coast guy. UConn is the one school that could see him leaving for, even for less money. That's not realistic now because Hurley is the coach there.

Yeah, a member of the best team money could buy (the corrupt Fab5) in the 90s is gonna come to NU where he can't recruit most of the players he could get at Michigan. I'm sure he'd be interested. LOL

I'm not defending him. The coaching job he did Saturday was lousy. He'd be the first to tell you that. The team was not ready to play. That hasn't happened much at all this season, but I'm not surprised there was a letdown after all the close games they've let slip away. On the other hand, I know Chris has three years left on his deal and is very unlikely to be fired, so I'm rooting for him to succeed. And to suggest a Juwann Howard (or a BOB HUGGINS? mentioned on the pay board) would even consider succeeding him can only be a joke.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
I'm not defending him. The coaching job he did Saturday was lousy. He'd be the first to tell you that. The team was not ready to play. That hasn't happened much at all this season, but I'm not surprised there was a letdown after all the close games they've let slip away. On the other hand, I know Chris has three years left on his deal and is very unlikely to be fired, so I'm rooting for him to succeed. And to suggest a Juwann Howard (or a BOB HUGGINS? mentioned on the pay board) would even consider succeeding him can only be a joke.
Just curious, did anybody ask Collins if he felt like he did a bad job?
I've never heard him say that.

Agree with you that guys like Howard or Huggins aren't coming to NU unless their team is playing us.

I brought him up. Um, it was a joke. And good luck finding any calls for firing Collins from me.

Pikiell’s daughter played basketball at NU and graduated last year so he may actually have some more knowledge of and affinity to NU than the average coach.

I don't see established P6 coaches thinking NU is a good idea. Active, like Piekel, on the shelf, like Beillein or Matha, or just recently unemployed, like Turgeon or Mack.
That’s why you look for the next pikiell- a guy who has had success turning a lower tier program around and wants the challenge of doing it on a higher stage. Someone who already has a “system” so you can identify what they would emphasize

That’s why you look for the next pikiell- a guy who has had success turning a lower tier program around and wants the challenge of doing it on a higher stage. Someone who already has a “system” so you can identify what they would emphasize
I agree and have provided a list of intriguing names. And I'm sure there are more. I do not know enough about most of these names than to call them intriguing, worth taking a deeper look into:

-Niko Medved
-Leon Rice
-Jeff Linder
-Scott Naggy
-Dennis Gates
-Matt McMahon
-Casey Alexander
-John Becker
-Eric Henderson
-Eric Konkol
-Grant McCasland
-Nick McDevitt
-Mike Rhoades
-Mark Schmidt
-Scott Davenport

I agree and have provided a list of intriguing names. And I'm sure there are more. I do not know enough about most of these names than to call them intriguing, worth taking a deeper look into:

-Niko Medved
-Leon Rice
-Jeff Linder
-Scott Naggy
-Dennis Gates
-Matt McMahon
-Casey Alexander
-John Becker
-Eric Henderson
-Eric Konkol
-Grant McCasland
-Nick McDevitt
-Mike Rhoades
-Mark Schmidt
-Scott Davenport

I’m shocked that Gates (Whitney Young) has only recently gotten a head job. Seems like his name has been on the hot young coaches list forever.

My favorite boring candidate is Jeff Boals, who now has his alma mater Ohio U at 22-5/13-3.

Reactions: GatoLouco

-Niko Medved
-Leon Rice
-Jeff Linder
-Scott Naggy
-Dennis Gates
-Matt McMahon
-Casey Alexander
-John Becker
-Eric Henderson
-Eric Konkol
-Grant McCasland
-Nick McDevitt
-Mike Rhoades
-Mark Schmidt
-Scott Davenport
Of this list, the following seem interesting to me:

Niko Medved - build two teams up over 4 years in small leagues, but minimal P6 assistant experience
Dennis Gates - HC resume a bit too thin for what I'd like, though his team is in 1st this year, he is from Chicago, and he spent almost a decade under Leonard Hamilton at FSU
Grant McCasland - Immediate resurgence of moribund North Texas program, 1st in conference this year, 5 years as Baylor asst under Scott Drew, but would he leave Texas area?
Mark Schmidt - Turned an awful St. Bonaventure program into a consistent contender, but will be 60 next year. Has a decade of P6 assistant experience as well.

Of the others on the list, I'm dismissing most due to not having any P6 assistant experience, which I think is necessary as well as HC experience at any level.

I would add as additional options:

Jeff Boals - 7 years P6 asst experience at OSU, shown improvement each year at both Stony Brook and now Ohio U.
Lamont Paris - 7 years P6 asst experience at Wisconsin under Bo Ryan/Gard, currently leading Chattanooga to a conference championship in his 5th year there.
Darian DeVries - A ton of years as an assistant at Creighton, now head coach at Drake with an at-large tourney berth on his resume last year, Drake's first since 2008.
Martin Inglesby - Currently in the midst of the 2nd-best season at Delaware since Mike Brey was HC. Related, he was an assistant to Brey for 7 years and on staff for a total of 13. Aside from last year's odd season, he has improved every year there.
Pat Kelsey - Had an excellent run at Winthrop following long asst stints at Wake and Xavier. Now in first year at Charleston, too soon to tell how he will do at that level.
Brian Dutcher - Longtime asst to Steve Fisher at Michigan and SDSU, where he is now the head coach with the top defense in the country this year. Turns 63 this year though.
Todd Golden - Head coach at San Fran, two years under Bruce Pearl at Auburn.
Ryan Odom - In 1st season at Utah State, with solid metrics but not wins to match. Previously at UMBC when they upset UVA along with 7 years as an asst at VT.

Plus, a few retreads:

Travis Ford - Had a solid run at OK St but could never advance far enough in the tourney to satisfy the fan base, now at St Louis. Has turned around every program he has coached. Definitely not an up-and-comer like the others on this list
Anthony Grant - Had a good first 3 years at Bama but couldn't maintain, now at Dayton, trying to build again after the Obi Toppin year was cut short by Covid
Andy Kennedy - Long career at Ole Miss before tailing off, now in 2nd season at UAB doing well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT