ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guards

No. It means they’ll have a top 100 recruit that they offered when he was 14 ready to take over.

Meanwhile, and I’m sure VerbalCommits is not complete, but NU is so confident in Buie that they have 6 offers out for that position in the next class.

also those the offers are for kids they have recruited for years to come in and play alongside Lathon.

@haywood jahblowme “here are all the ways NU is like Michigan State” is not a game you want to play, as you know. MSU will find a contingency plan if they need one.

Repeating what I wrote above, because you may have missed it (looks like I missed something of yours),
Ultimately, @haywood jahblowme , I hope your opinion doesn’t echo the program’s opinion. A few times lately you - an insider - have dropped ‘blame the administration’ excuses. A recent admittance not granted, and now sitting on whatever Lathon did for five months.

The administration didn’t force NU to use (all estimates) only 11 scholarships or recruit 8 guys at the same position or stake their season on two grad transfers (one a failure and one elsewhere) or offer Vassar or offer Brown or enter next season with nobody who has ever scored double-digits in D1 (pending the grad transfer market, I guess).

I hope we get reason for optimism next season. We’re on two years of utter joylessness.

Friday was the two-year anniversary of Tap-to-Pardon. Feels like a decade ago.

I’mma step out of this thread to nowhere. I just hope NU’s basketball staff is engaging in some thumb-pointing after this season. Yuck.

@haywood jahblowme “here are all the ways NU is like Michigan State” is not a game you want to play, as you know. MSU will find a contingency plan if they need one.

Repeating what I wrote above, because you may have missed it (looks like I missed something of yours),
Ultimately, @haywood jahblowme , I hope your opinion doesn’t echo the program’s opinion. A few times lately you - an insider - have dropped ‘blame the administration’ excuses. A recent admittance not granted, and now sitting on whatever Lathon did for five months.

The administration didn’t force NU to use (all estimates) only 11 scholarships or recruit 8 guys at the same position or stake their season on two grad transfers (one a failure and one elsewhere) or offer Vassar or offer Brown or enter next season with nobody who has ever scored double-digits in D1 (pending the grad transfer market, I guess).

I hope we get reason for optimism next season. We’re on two years of utter joylessness.

Friday was the two-year anniversary of Tap-to-Pardon. Feels like a decade ago.

Tap-to-Pardon seems like only yesterday to me. And I am going to enjoy that for the rest of my life...The DANCE, baby., THE DANCE!

Reactions: NUCat320
The Illinois game is a perfect example of why “recruit one PG every 3-4 years is an absurd model. Illinois has three PGs that are all better than any PG on the NU roster. Depth matters. Dosunmu has been average and Frazier has been bad tonight. But Feliz has been lifts out and the difference in the game. Without him, I’m not sure Illinois wins. Depth at your most important position in college basketball matters.

Reactions: IGNORE
The Illinois game is a perfect example of why “recruit one PG every 3-4 years is an absurd model. Illinois has three PGs that are all better than any PG on the NU roster. Depth matters. Dosunmu has been average and Frazier has been bad tonight. But Feliz has been lifts out and the difference in the game. Without him, I’m not sure Illinois wins. Depth at your most important position in college basketball matters.
IL has a different system than NU and you recruit to the system

You could add Hearn as a guy who was a marginal contributor till his Sr season

You could add many, many more that remained marginal contributors in their Sr year.

Reggie was hardly a marginal contributor his JR season.

7.4 ppg
3.7 rpg
26.1 mpg
.486 FG% (note - only player on the team w/ a FG% above .400 presently is Pardon and having a FG% approaching 50% is high for a 2-guard).

And was the 4th leading scorer on the team.

Hearn's totals were down due to having to share minutes w/ a talented frosh, Cobb, as well as Marco getting some minutes.

Lathon had another game of 25 plus points last night.

Against which HS girls team in Texas? How did RI do? (Oh wait, lesser competition - so it doesn't count. Unless you were supposed to play LG at NU, then it means everything. I think. Did I get it right this time?)

Reggie was hardly a marginal contributor his JR season.

7.4 ppg
3.7 rpg
26.1 mpg
.486 FG% (note - only player on the team w/ a FG% above .400 presently is Pardon and having a FG% approaching 50% is high for a 2-guard).

And was the 4th leading scorer on the team.

Hearn's totals were down due to having to share minutes w/ a talented frosh, Cobb, as well as Marco getting some minutes.
Sorry but his production was similar to Luka that year. THe following year he went to being the number 2 scorer with 13.2 ppg (only 0.3ppg below the top scorer. He made a pretty significant jump between RSJr and RSS years.

Against which HS girls team in Texas? How did RI do? (Oh wait, lesser competition - so it doesn't count. Unless you were supposed to play LG at NU, then it means everything. I think. Did I get it right this time?)

no. you didn't get it right this time.

JL put up big numbers against power 5 marqutte.

what were RI numbers against power 5 teams this year?

Lathon is at UTEP for what he did off the court. He had plenty of high D1 offers based on his play. He would have started here day 1. There aren’t any other real options.

You are just harping on this to support your argument that NU had no backup plan.

Reactions: NJCat
no. you didn't get it right this time.

JL put up big numbers against power 5 marqutte.

what were RI numbers against power 5 teams this year?

Wasn’t there a kid from OSU that just put up a huge game recently? Does that make him a legit star? Is OSU dropping the ball to not start and feature him?

Lathon is at UTEP for what he did off the court. He had plenty of high D1 offers based on his play. He would have started here day 1. There aren’t any other real options.

You are just harping on this to support your argument that NU had no backup plan.

Which they didn’t. And I don’t think Plan A was a good plan either.

Reactions: Vassar69
5 points/5 boards against Syracuse
14/4 against Penn State
5/2 against Pitt

Not very good.

But in his last 9 games he has scored 24,33,24, 11, 19, 21, 20, 28 and 15. I'm glad he's getting to play on a first place team.

also he is a third year college player and probably now 22 years old considering he went to a 5th year prep school. a better comparison would be taylor's lack of output this year in a higher league with better defense as both are basically the same age. (however taylor is also playing without a PG able to drive and kick)

also he is a third year college player and probably now 22 years old considering he went to a 5th year prep school. a better comparison would be taylor's lack of output this year in a higher league with better defense as both are basically the same age. (however taylor is also playing without a PG able to drive and kick)

Also, I would venture to guess that if any of the following current NU players - Falzon, Taylor, and Turner - were playing at Colgate in place of Rapolas, they would have similar or better numbers. Heck, Benson and maybe even redshirting Ryan Young would be impactful starters.

Also, I would venture to guess that if any of the following current NU players - Falzon, Taylor, and Turner - were playing at Colgate in place of Rapolas, they would have similar or better numbers. Heck, Benson and maybe even redshirting Ryan Young would be impactful starters.

now some posters would say that about lathon who is on a lower level, but he is surrounded by lower level players. i think his ability to hang with B1G PGs is different from RI ability to play with 4s and 5s in the B1G. RI had his chance on this level - but as i exhausted many times prior - it was a great move by all parties involved for several reasons.

Spot on. To put how weak the Patriot conference is in perspective, their BEST team, Colgate, has a NET ranking of 138. The WORST team in the BIG, Rutgers, has a NET ranking 40 places higher!

now some posters would say that about lathon who is on a lower level, but he is surrounded by lower level players. i think his ability to hang with B1G PGs is different from RI ability to play with 4s and 5s in the B1G. RI had his chance on this level - but as i exhausted many times prior - it was a great move by all parties involved for several reasons.

Another excellent point. Lathon plays on the WORST team, by far, in a so-so conference (ODU is the highest NET ranked team, at 76), which means he is playing better teams than his every game.... Rap plays on the BEST team in a horrific conference, which means he gets to plays consistently worse players every game..

The issue was, there was no Plan B.
How do you have a plan B for what happened? Too late to recruit any other start ready PGs and with the backup going down as well. Plan B if you will was reclassifying Greer but he is not yet ready to take the reigns. Again it was too late to get a starting PG recruit. At that point, it was also late for getting a grad transfer for the position.

For next year, there is both a PG in the system, a second driving guard type and potential for a grad transfer.

How do you have a plan B for what happened? .
That was my point. There isn't a "Plan B" for losing a 4* point guard in May when all other top recruits have already signed LOI's. Pretending that NU has a back-up plan for every signed recruit is naive.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Lathon and Ash in 2018/2019

Lathon and Greer in 2019/2020

lost both options months before the season started with no time to fill a void
Was Greer slated to come here prior to being reclassified? Or is the reason we were able to bring in Greer because we did not have Lathon?

The plan was to have Lathon and Ash. How do you have a plan B for what happened? Can you name how many times it has happened?
At this time last year we thought we had two point guards. No one could have seen the Lathon situation unfolding and Ash was intended to be a 10-15 minute a game player. Ash isn’t John Stockton, but it was reasonable to think he could give NU back up minutes at PG. I pointed out at the time of Lathon’s departure that I thought we were hosed. We didn’t have a 30 minute a game distributor guard. Ash was to mitigate the impact, but the impact was still significant. People can say our backup wasn’t up to their expectations, but we had a backup.

I get on CCC for his quick hook of the underclassman and his slowness in adjusting, but I can’t get on him for the PG situation. He lined up what would have been a 4 year starter. No one was up in arms when Brown decided to transfer. Now people are throwing this out like Brown would have been the answer. He had a back up. Turns out he had neither.

At this time last year we thought we had two point guards. No one could have seen the Lathon situation unfolding and Ash was intended to be a 10-15 minute a game player. Ash isn’t John Stockton, but it was reasonable to think he could give NU back up minutes at PG. I pointed out at the time of Lathon’s departure that I thought we were hosed. We didn’t have a 30 minute a game distributor guard. Ash was to mitigate the impact, but the impact was still significant. People can say our backup wasn’t up to their expectations, but we had a backup.

I get on CCC for his quick hook of the underclassman and his slowness in adjusting, but I can’t get on him for the PG situation. He lined up what would have been a 4 year starter. No one was up in arms when Brown decided to transfer. Now people are throwing this out like Brown would have been the answer. He had a back up. Turns out he had neither.
We were hosed and no real way to recover for this year. Not sure what it will mean for the future. We will definitely be in better position next year than this but will we have our PG or will we still be looking to fill the spot?

They would all probably be doing well at UTEP too.

Sorry but his production was similar to Luka that year. THe following year he went to being the number 2 scorer with 13.2 ppg (only 0.3ppg below the top scorer. He made a pretty significant jump between RSJr and RSS years.

So?

And the fact is that Luka avg'd 5.9 ppg that season compared to 7.4 ppg for Hearn - which, would have been higher, but Hearn had to split minutes w/ Cobb (as well as Marco).

Being the 4th leading scorer on the team hardly flies w/ your assessment of being marginal.

And Hearn's .486 FG% was not that far off Luka's .495 considering one is a 2-guard and the other a center.

Even more amazing was Hearn's 2P FG% - .625 compared to .554 for Luka.

What's w/ you trying to denigrate Hearn?

While Hearn's ppg went up (due to having more chances/playing time, as Cobb was suspended), Reggie actually shot the ball better his JR season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT