ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guards

And CCC has brought NU recruiting overall to a different level. That does not mean that there will not be bumps along the way. Injures are always tough to deal with and we have had our share. Are you going to hold that against him? I mean, think about it, Last year be had BMac and Law down for a portion of the year, Rap basically out of it from the beginning, Falzon hampered and Ash down as well. No team could withstand that.

So other coaches didn't have to deal w/ injuries?

The mark of a good recruiter is that he is able to bring in his targets and CCC has done that. No one could have predicted what happened with Lathon. But he made the most of it getting Greer who looks to be good but not ready. And again, Falzon down, Ash down, Law down for part of the year, Nance down for illness. There is some that good recruiting can overcome but this is just too much

Bringing it targets and their recruiting rankings don't matter if they can't make an impact on the court, esp. a frosh.

Basically only 2 CC recruits who have been impact players as frosh are BMac and Law.

That's a big reason why the talent level is down and Law is only still here b/c he missed a season due to injury (imagine what this season would look like if Law had graduated w/ the rest of his class).

Now, certainly not expecting every recruit to be an impact player as a frosh, but there should be at least one a class, esp. if as heralded (on paper) as the 2018 class.

Reactions: IGNORE
Injuries got Carmody fired.

NU started the season 7-3 when Drew Crawford went down for the season. They hung around until Jared Swopshire went down after game 24 with NU clinging to a 13-11 record. NU finished with 8 consecutive losses and Carmody was history.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
^ Of course, and don't forget that Hearn getting hurt at the end costing the 'Cats the Stanford game, and Lumpkin eventually taking a RS.

Like I had stated before, Phillips should have gotten rid of BC sooner rather than letting him continue w/ one-hand tied behind his back.

Also, think about this.

If Sanjay hadn't eventually taken that RS, would the 'Cats still have made the Tourney w/o him?

@Fitzphile The only thing that would have prevented Carmody from getting fired that season was an NCAA bid. Carmody’s fate was sealed the day he got a two-year extension.

^ Recruiting was improving (at least when it came to recruiting rankings) - Sina was the highest rated recruit in some time when he committed, the 'Cats were hot on the heals of PF Reid (who ended up at Stanford and is now playing for UK as a grad transfer) and Abrahamson had a slew of offers.

And that's w/ BC having one hand tied behind his back by the ? every off-season whether he'll be coming back.

No doubt, CC has improved recruiting (on paper) even more - but all-too-often have not seen the results pan out on the court.

Reactions: NUCat320
is Ash really coming back? Just asking.
I do not know. Might depend on whether we got a grad transfer. Just saying he could. And either way, with Buie, Greer and Gaines, we would be in much better position than this year. If we got a Grad Transfer instead, have to feel again much better situation than this year

^ Recruiting was improving (at least when it came to recruiting rankings) - Sina was the highest rated recruit in some time when he committed, the 'Cats were hot on the heals of PF Reid (who ended up at Stanford and is now playing for UK as a grad transfer) and Abrahamson had a slew of offers.

And that's w/ BC having one hand tied behind his back by the ? every off-season whether he'll be coming back.

No doubt, CC has improved recruiting (on paper) even more - but all-too-often have not seen the results pan out on the court.
Recruiting was improving under BC because of Tavaras Hardy. The NIT years don't happen without him.

Bringing it targets and their recruiting rankings don't matter if they can't make an impact on the court, esp. a frosh.

Basically only 2 CC recruits who have been impact players as frosh are BMac and Law.

That's a big reason why the talent level is down and Law is only still here b/c he missed a season due to injury (imagine what this season would look like if Law had graduated w/ the rest of his class).

Now, certainly not expecting every recruit to be an impact player as a frosh, but there should be at least one a class, esp. if as heralded (on paper) as the 2018 class.
Not saying that they don't. But we have had a pretty fair number and because it is harder to establish depth here, the effect can be pretty significant.

As far as Frosh making an impact on the court, I would add Pardon as well. Falzon also had a pretty descent Frosh year. And Lathon would likely have been in that group. For a Frosh to make a significant impact you usually have to have the lineup opening to plug them into. And there has been a shortage of open spots for them to make that impact. For example, last year, you only had one Frosh and originally no place for him to be inserted. When injuries opened up minutes for him, he started making an impact. This year, when CCC brought in Turner and Taylor, it cut down on the opportunity for Frosh to make that impact, especially since we already had Law and Pardon, plus Gaines. There was an opening for a Frosh PG to make an impact but we know what happened there. A lot of that impact you are looking for has a lot to do with position and timing.

That brings up my next question. How about Falzon. I think he will if they want him, which I believe they do.
In my opinion he will be much better with a point guard getting him the ball in the right spot on the floor and in a shooting position.

Next year you will also have Turner playing a wing his correct position

Was a fun night of Basketball on Tuesday, but for me, it was all about the guards!

Purdue: Carsen Edwards is the point guard, primary ballhandler, whatever you want to call him here. Thing is, he often brings up the ball and never gies it up so his Assist/TO ration is poor (just over 1). But I am willing to forgive this (I'm guessing Bob would as well) given his outstanding point production, related to his incredible one-on-one (and one-on--two and three, at times) ability. Eric Hunter Jr. appears to be his backup, has a solidt A/TO ratio and appears to be a quality ballhandler. So score another for Bob for this lock-for-the-Dance team.

Indiana also has a clear PG in Freshman Rob Phinisee (A/TO of 2), but their lack of other ballhandlers is farily well-known as a team weakness at this point as evidenced by their fairly horrendous play when Rob went out with an injury. Romeo Langford is an excellent scorer but his A/TO ration is as bad as Carson Edwards, without the corresponding upside, so a no on him. Al Dunham's A/TO is almost as bad as Langford's, and he he is more of a swing player at any rate. Which leaves us wiht turnover machine Devonte Green and sharpshoote Zach McRoberts two guys who do not come close to meeting Bob's criteria. So score on for me on this first-four-out team at present...

Maryland: Again, Anthiny Cowan is the dominant point guard here; just misses on the A/TO ratio (1.70), but his explosiveness to the basket more than makes for that minor deifciency. He played all 40 minutes yesterday and average 34.2 MPG though, so I did not even see his backup play. And indeed, no other guards on the roster have anywhere near close to Ciowan's A/TO ratio, nor demonstrated, at least in the game that I watched, sufficient creation off the dribble to satisfy Bob's criteria. So this one is a no as well; and they are a Dance team. What they lack in ballhandling depth, however, they more than make up for down low...

Iowa: Brian Bohannon (2.33 A/TO) runs the show, and has a very capable back up in the coaches' son, Connor McCaffery (2.5 A/TO) so an easy win for Bob here on this team that is also a lock for the Dance.

Nebby: Another easy one for Bob as well, since they have two starters who qualify; Glynn Watson (2.13 A/TO) is the dependable though erratic-shooting PG, while James Palmer, though he turns the ball over too often and thus doesn't qualify on his A/TO alone (1.36) handles the ball a lot, and can clearly take his man to the basket enough for Bob (and I) to forgive his A/TO that is slightly below our standard. And even if one would quibble on Palmer; reserve Evan Taylor (A/TO 1.83) looks the part as well, though he didn't play last night for some reason. So a win for Bob here for this NIT-bound team

Penn State. Jamari Wheeler started last night and ran the point well; his A/TO also meets our criteria. Bur now one else on the team even comes close to our A/TO standard, and no one that I have seen does enough to satisfy Bob's scond criterion to give them a pass on the A/TO. An argument could be made for Josh Reeves, but he leads the team in turnovers, so I am not going to make that argument, So this one goes my way. But, they are a sub .500 team, so there's that.

To recap where we are so far in my analysis:

Last night, Me: 3 Bob 3
Overall: Bob 6, Me 4
Dance Teams only: .Bob 4, Me 2

Reactions: IGNORE
Recruiting was improving under BC because of Tavaras Hardy. The NIT years don't happen without him.

And? So?

BC still was the one who hired TH and also brought in other better recruiters as well.

A legit criticism of BC was that his early staff didn't have the right make-up when it came to recruiting and it took time for the program to build relationships w/ the local schools.

But he fixed that and while recruiting was certainly not BC's favorite thing, he still had to close the deal.

For instance, BC closed the deal on Lumpkin and Abrahamson stated in an interview that BC closed the deal while the 2 were having a talk on the lakefront.

Now, recruiting was improving on paper w/ the likes of KA and Sina, but as we have recently seen, doesn't always pan out on the court.

Look - I certainly am not saying that BC is at the level of CC when it comes to recruiting, but recruiting was on the improvement.

Remember the excitement about the 2008 class w/ Rowley, Mirk, Curletti, Freundt and Shurna?

Freundt was the more highly regarded prospect (based on offers) compared to Shurna, Rowley had a nice set of offers and Luka had one from Louisville (as well as Marquette and DePaul).

Hardy wasn't hired that long before, so his impact was likely minimal.

Would add Pardon as well. Falzon also had a pretty descent Frosh year. And Lathon would likely have been in that group.

Would have loved to have added Pardon (who is one of my all-time fave 'Cats), but I'm basing things on consistency and efficiency.

1st off, Pardon didn't play for more than 1/3rd of the season.

And while Pardon showed some flashes (such as against NEB and UMD) which showed his future potential, he only had 3 games where he scored in the double-digits and just had too many games where he didn't have much of a presence.

Didn't include Falzon b/c his efficiency was too low.

Law's wasn't much better his frosh season, but he contributed in other ways (D and rebounding) to make up for it.

For a Frosh to make a significant impact you usually have to have the lineup opening to plug them into. And there has been a shortage of open spots for them to make that impact. For example, last year, you only had one Frosh and originally no place for him to be inserted. When injuries opened up minutes for him, he started making an impact. This year, when CCC brought in Turner and Taylor, it cut down on the opportunity for Frosh to make that impact, especially since we already had Law and Pardon, plus Gaines. There was an opening for a Frosh PG to make an impact but we know what happened there. A lot of that impact you are looking for has a lot to do with position and timing.

You don't think there was an opportunity for a frosh (Kopp or Nance) to take over the 4 spot?

The reason why Falzon didn't see much playing time once he got healthy was b/c Kopp and Nance were ahead of him on the depth chart.

Who knows if Lathon would have made an impact at PG, but the opportunity was there for Greer (in terms of recruiting rankings - you can't tell me that Sobo is that much better than Greer).

And there certainly was opportunity for a frosh (or 2) to take a starting spot from Taylor and Turner the way those 2 have been playing.

But one doesn't need to be a starter to be an impact player as a frosh.

Cobb was coming off the bench for a good portion of his frosh year, but eventually took over a starting role since he was playing so well (Shurna didn't start for much of his frosh season either).

This team could certainly use a scorer or 2 coming off the bench; but then again, if they could score, they'd actually would be starting.

Last edited:
Reactions: StratCat84
... Now, certainly not expecting every recruit to be an impact player as a frosh, but there should be at least one a class, esp. if as heralded (on paper) as the 2018 class.

What's the count now? Four threads and eight or nine posts on the Carmody/Collins comparison? Sure, you're not leaving something out, Katatonic?

You just go a ahead and keeping cherry picking to death. Let's keep shredding Collins and his only five recruiting classes - one of which hasn't even finished their freshman year - versus half the story on the Carmody teams.

It blows my mind that you want to continually portray that the talent hasn't been comparable. There's one difference - Shurna, a once in a generation guy. But good luck finding him in four years, Chrissy!! Otherwise, you suck.

Juice and BMac are very comparable.

Coble comes in and scores 13 pts/g on a sh*tty team whose next best scorers are Moore and Doyle. Do you really think Law only scores 7 pts/game his freshman year if he has Moore and Doyle on the team and not BMac, Olah, Demps and Cobb? Let's not forget defense and rebounding.

Crawford? I'd make the argument for Lindsey, but Scottie was too much of a pud.

So at best, there's two guys in the four Collins classes who we can't compare to the four key Hardy ... um, um I mean Carmody years.

Now, who's the next best player in those four Carmody classes? Nash? Mirko? Marco?

Or would I rather have Pardon, Gaines and Skelly?

And you'll notice I'm not even touching this year's freshmen or recruiting ratings. Nor did I need to cherry pick. If we ignore this year's class, we have four Collins classes to compare.

Amazing how this discussion always ignores Carmody's first five classes.

Yes, let's keep going with the idea that Collins just walked into a basketball utopia where he should have just been able to pick up where the Coble, Juice, Shurna, Crawford and Cobb classes left off.

As we do with so many other things in the nauseating Collins/Carmody comparison, we'll also ignore that there were two recruiting classes and nine scholarships between Cobb's freshman year and before Collins steps on campus.

Let's not actually find a way to support the guy who got it done. Let's step up an incredibly difficult situation and hold him to a higher standard that's not based in reality.

Remember the excitement about the 2008 class w/ Rowley, Mirk, Curletti, Freundt and Shurna?

Freundt was the more highly regarded prospect (based on offers) compared to Shurna, Rowley had a nice set of offers and Luka had one from Louisville (as well as Marquette and DePaul).

First of all, Hardy's first season as an assistant was the 2006-07 season, so you're wrong on it being "not that long before". Second, per Rivals's own database, Fruendt was recruited by Paul Lee, Mirkovic by Mitch Henderson, and Shurna, Curletti and Rowley by Hardy. In the 09 class, Crawford and Marcotullio are both listed under Hardy. In 10, Cobb, Hardy.

My point stands.

Was a fun night of Basketball on Tuesday, but for me, it was all about the guards!

Purdue: Carsen Edwards is the point guard, primary ballhandler, whatever you want to call him here. Thing is, he often brings up the ball and never gies it up so his Assist/TO ration is poor (just over 1). But I am willing to forgive this (I'm guessing Bob would as well) given his outstanding point production, related to his incredible one-on-one (and one-on--two and three, at times) ability. Eric Hunter Jr. appears to be his backup, has a solidt A/TO ratio and appears to be a quality ballhandler. So score another for Bob for this lock-for-the-Dance team.

Indiana also has a clear PG in Freshman Rob Phinisee (A/TO of 2), but their lack of other ballhandlers is farily well-known as a team weakness at this point as evidenced by their fairly horrendous play when Rob went out with an injury. Romeo Langford is an excellent scorer but his A/TO ration is as bad as Carson Edwards, without the corresponding upside, so a no on him. Al Dunham's A/TO is almost as bad as Langford's, and he he is more of a swing player at any rate. Which leaves us wiht turnover machine Devonte Green and sharpshoote Zach McRoberts two guys who do not come close to meeting Bob's criteria. So score on for me on this first-four-out team at present...

Maryland: Again, Anthiny Cowan is the dominant point guard here; just misses on the A/TO ratio (1.70), but his explosiveness to the basket more than makes for that minor deifciency. He played all 40 minutes yesterday and average 34.2 MPG though, so I did not even see his backup play. And indeed, no other guards on the roster have anywhere near close to Ciowan's A/TO ratio, nor demonstrated, at least in the game that I watched, sufficient creation off the dribble to satisfy Bob's criteria. So this one is a no as well; and they are a Dance team. What they lack in ballhandling depth, however, they more than make up for down low...

Iowa: Brian Bohannon (2.33 A/TO) runs the show, and has a very capable back up in the coaches' son, Connor McCaffery (2.5 A/TO) so an easy win for Bob here on this team that is also a lock for the Dance.

Nebby: Another easy one for Bob as well, since they have two starters who qualify; Glynn Watson (2.13 A/TO) is the dependable though erratic-shooting PG, while James Palmer, though he turns the ball over too often and thus doesn't qualify on his A/TO alone (1.36) handles the ball a lot, and can clearly take his man to the basket enough for Bob (and I) to forgive his A/TO that is slightly below our standard. And even if one would quibble on Palmer; reserve Evan Taylor (A/TO 1.83) looks the part as well, though he didn't play last night for some reason. So a win for Bob here for this NIT-bound team

Penn State. Jamari Wheeler started last night and ran the point well; his A/TO also meets our criteria. Bur now one else on the team even comes close to our A/TO standard, and no one that I have seen does enough to satisfy Bob's scond criterion to give them a pass on the A/TO. An argument could be made for Josh Reeves, but he leads the team in turnovers, so I am not going to make that argument, So this one goes my way. But, they are a sub .500 team, so there's that.

To recap where we are so far in my analysis:

Last night, Me: 3 Bob 3
Overall: Bob 6, Me 4
I would suggest that if Nebby has two starters in that you are discussing, only one qualifies as a PG as their role is to run the show. For example Michael Jordan had a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio but no way was he considered as a PG. The other is likely filling another guard role and has some distribution skills. I would also suggest that IA might be a special case because as you say coaches son. Would they have him if he was not?

I would suggest that there is a constant moving of the goal posts as far as the definition of what Bob is looking for. From a true PG/LG to a ball handler to a ballhandler that can slash and either score or dish to a guy with a high enough A/TO ratio. True solid PGs are rare and most of the rest are guys that can fill in that position in a pinch. Most teams you see have one solid starting PG and a guy that can take over the role for the limited minutes that are available since the starting guys all tend to play 32-35 minutes or more. IA would be an exception at least partially because the backup is the coaches son. He was a solid 4 star recruit that basically did not entertain any other offers. Do you really feel as a 4 star PG recruit that if he was not the coaches son that he would not have gone somewhere where he would be getting more than 19 minutes a game as a Soph (and averaging 3 asists in that limited time on the floor) ? But I am saying IA is the exception rather than the rule

And? So?

BC still was the one who hired TH and also brought in other better recruiters as well.

A legit criticism of BC was that his early staff didn't have the right make-up when it came to recruiting and it took time for the program to build relationships w/ the local schools.

But he fixed that and while recruiting was certainly not BC's favorite thing, he still had to close the deal.

For instance, BC closed the deal on Lumpkin and Abrahamson stated in an interview that BC closed the deal while the 2 were having a talk on the lakefront.

Now, recruiting was improving on paper w/ the likes of KA and Sina, but as we have recently seen, doesn't always pan out on the court.

Look - I certainly am not saying that BC is at the level of CC when it comes to recruiting, but recruiting was on the improvement.

Would have loved to have added Pardon (who is one of my all-time fave 'Cats), but I'm basing things on consistency and efficiency.

1st off, Pardon didn't play for more than 1/3rd of the season.

And while Pardon showed some flashes (such as against NEB and UMD) which showed his future potential, he only had 3 games where he scored in the double-digits and just had too many games where he didn't have much of a presence.

Didn't include Falzon b/c his efficiency was too low.

Law's wasn't much better his frosh season, but he contributed in other ways (D and rebounding) to make up for it.

You don't think there was an opportunity for a frosh (Kopp or Nance) to take over the 4 spot?

The reason why Falzon didn't see much playing time once he got healthy was b/c Kopp and Nance were ahead of him on the depth chart.

Who knows if Lathon would have made an impact at PG, but the opportunity was there for Greer (in terms of recruiting rankings - you can't tell me that Sobo is that much better than Greer).

And there certainly was opportunity for a frosh (or 2) to take a starting spot from Taylor and Turner the way those 2 have been playing.

But one doesn't need to be a starter to be an impact player as a frosh.

Cobb was coming off the bench for a good portion of his frosh year, but eventually took over a starting role since he was playing so well (Shurna didn't start for much of his frosh season either).

This team could certainly use a scorer or 2 coming off the bench; but then again, if they could score, they'd actually would be starting.
I count Pardon for two reasons. He was supposed to be RS. He was forced into service when both our centers went down and he played very well. His playing time was limited because the others got healthy. He made an impact when he was in and had we not had Olah, he likely would have been in from the beginning of the year. If they had been successful at RS him, his Frosh year would have been the following year an his impact was pretty significant.

Falzon started, played about 25 mpg and scored about 9 ppg. Have to think that is an impact.

As far as Frosh having the opportunity for making an impact this year, not when Taylor and Turner had been brought in. Had they not, likely one of them would have made the impact you look for. Again, the ability of a Frosh to make an impact has a lot to do with whether there is an opening for them to take over, either in a starting role or minutes off the bench. There definitely was one for PG but not really on the wing. And had Lathon come, I would guess he would have met your criteria. As far as Greer, he was supposed to still be in HS. While I think he will be fine, for this year, he was not ready. So while the opportunity was available, he was not really in a position to take advantage. And as far as ratings of Sobo vs Greer, Sobo came in after his full time in HS and was more physically ready to be here. Greer was supposed to still be in HS. Next year is what should be compared to Sobo's Frosh year

Your definitions keep changing. If you want to count Shurna making an impact as a Frosh (he averaged 18 mpg and scored an average of less than 8 pts) you have to count Falzon as he played more and averaged more ppg than Shurna did his Frosh year. Cobb played similar minutes to Falzon and while he scored less, he did other things.

For a Frosh to make an impact, there has to be the opportunity and minutes available and with the bringing in of Taylor and Turner those minutes whether starting or off the bench really were not available for the Frosh.

But then again, how important is it for them to make a big impact as a Frosh other than at a position such as PG? It generally means we had a hole that they were able to fill and if recruiting and development have gone as planned, those holes should not exist. (For example, do you really see a Frosh center getting minutes over Padon, a wing getting minutes over Law, a Frosh getting minutes over Gaines? Turner and Taylor with their experience should be better than any Frosh at their positions as well so hard for a Frosh Wing to get that many mpg) That may be why to date, most of the guys who have made an impact for CCC as Frosh happened in his first couple years. I really want to see them making an impact as a Soph. (With BC, there were always the holes so Frosh could make more of an impact as they were forced into playing roles. The positions I can still see it happening are at PG/LG or whatever you call it. Maybe at a PF as we really do not have them in the system We have enough wings (and even centers) in the system that it should be difficult to have a big impact as a Frosh at that position.

Last edited:
I would suggest that if Nebby has two starters in that you are discussing, only one qualifies as a PG as their role is to run the show. For example Michael Jordan had a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio but no way was he considered as a PG. The other is likely filling another guard role and has some distribution skills. I would also suggest that IA might be a special case because as you say coaches son. Would they have him if he was not?

I would suggest that there is a constant moving of the goal posts as far as the definition of what Bob is looking for. From a true PG/LG to a ball handler to a ballhandler that can slash and either score or dish to a guy with a high enough A/TO ratio. True solid PGs are rare and most of the rest are guys that can fill in that position in a pinch. Most teams you see have one solid starting PG and a guy that can take over the role for the limited minutes that are available since the starting guys all tend to play 32-35 minutes or more. IA would be an exception at least partially because the backup is the coaches son. He was a solid 4 star recruit that basically did not entertain any other offers. Do you really feel as a 4 star PG recruit that if he was not the coaches son that he would not have gone somewhere where he would be getting more than 19 minutes a game as a Soph (and averaging 3 asists in that limited time on the floor) ? But I am saying IA is the exception rather than the rule

Yes, as you saw, I had some difficulty pinning down bob on stuff that I could objectively evaluate, so there are going to be differences of opinion as you pointed out. Still, I feel it has been a productive exercise for me; I certainly learned a lot about point guard play!

Only one team from last nights games to evaluate, as OSU and MSU have already been evaluated, and we're already a known quanity:

Rutgers: is kind of a mess at this position-- they don't have a single player on their entire roster with over a 1.5 A/TO ratio and no guard with higher than a 1.36 (Gio Baker, who brings the ball up on most possessions, but is really a 2 guard). Even if I am charitable and give Gio the benefit of the doubt here because of his shot creation ability, there is no one close to being a second option here, though, to their credit, they make up for lack of ballhandlers down low (43rd in the nation in total rebounding). So score this one for me, though it is a sub-.500 team so they won't count on the Dance card:

Updated stats:

Last night, Me: 1 Bob 0
Overall: Bob 6, Me 5

Reactions: haywood jahblowme

Nothing moves except you guys. Ballhandling guards. Guards that either have court vision reflected in strong assist turnover ratios or guys that can take the ball to the hoop and either finish or dish.

You can change the story all you want. Come dance time, I plan to discuss how many teams have at least two of these guys on their rosters. We don’t. We probably don’t have one.

First of all, Hardy's first season as an assistant was the 2006-07 season, so you're wrong on it being "not that long before". Second, per Rivals's own database, Fruendt was recruited by Paul Lee, Mirkovic by Mitch Henderson, and Shurna, Curletti and Rowley by Hardy. In the 09 class, Crawford and Marcotullio are both listed under Hardy. In 10, Cobb, Hardy.

My point stands.

Of that 2008 class, TH had most to do w/ the recruitment of Rowley.

Shurna committed in May of 2007, and while I'm sure having TH on staff played a significant role, don't think Shurna's recruitment started just a year before he committed.

And a big linchpin to signing more touted local recruits was already having Juice in the fold.

What's the count now? Four threads and eight or nine posts on the Carmody/Collins comparison? Sure, you're not leaving something out, Katatonic?

Totally relevant w/ the topics/threads at hand.
If you don't care to read them - just don't.

You just go a ahead and keeping cherry picking to death. Let's keep shredding Collins and his only five recruiting classes - one of which hasn't even finished their freshman year - versus half the story on the Carmody teams.

1. I've stated many a time that it's way too early to come to any sort of conclusion about the current frosh class, but that doesn't take away that need at least one (preferably 2) frosh to be significant contributors.

2. I've also stated that will need a couple of the frosh to make that soph-leap, along w/ a couple of the incoming frosh to be immediate impact players (does that sound like I have given up on the current frosh or the incoming class?) - which seems to me is realistic if the team is to have any chance of success next season.

3. What you may call cherry-picking; I call being detailed and often the difference-makers are in the details.

4. Maybe I seem to be harsher on CC's recruiting, but (a) that's why he was brought into the program (his program is much more reliant on having talent than BC's) and (b) had a higher level of success from which to work off.

It's the same criticism of Fitz that certain # of us have had - Fitz wasn't starting where Barnett started.

It blows my mind that you want to continually portray that the talent hasn't been comparable. There's one difference - Shurna, a once in a generation guy. But good luck finding him in four years, Chrissy!! Otherwise, you suck.

I've stated that there haven't been enough frosh making an immediate impact to replace the talent that was leaving.

Not that BC was all that great at it, but at least he was replacing the 1 key graduating SR w/ an incoming frosh (towards the 2nd half of his tenure), where he was able to achieve a certain level of success 4 seasons in a row (would have been a 5th, but for the injuries and Cobb's suspension).

Think about it - if Law hadn't gotten injured and had to take a RS year, it would just be Pardon as the lone reliable starter.

Juice and BMac are very comparable.

When have I ever stated different?

Coble comes in and scores 13 pts/g on a sh*tty team whose next best scorers are Moore and Doyle. Do you really think Law only scores 7 pts/game his freshman year if he has Moore and Doyle on the team and not BMac, Olah, Demps and Cobb? Let's not forget defense and rebounding.

Is this seriously your line of reasoning? lol

The very fact that Coble was able to come in as a frosh and avg. 13.4 ppg was impressive enough, but even more impressive was that he was doing that on a team where the next best scorer was Doyle (who, btw, was a horrible 3 pt shooter - at least for that season,).

You think opposing defenses were scheming to stop Doyle?

As for Moore, he wasn't yet the sharpshooter that he became as an upperclassman.

So opposing defenses focused on stopping Coble, and yet, he not only managed to avg 13.4 ppg, but even more impressive was the fact that he had a FG% of .494 and 2P% of .555 (which was amazing for a forward who didn't really dunk).

In contrast, Law wasn't the focal point of the NU O when he was frosh so teams weren't scheming/doubling to stop him (Demps, Olah and BMac all avg'd in double figures).

And despite that, Law FG% was .387 and 2P% was .409 which is low for a forward, esp. one who is athletic and can dunk.

I did consider D and rebounding - that's why I have Law as an impact frosh even tho he wasn't quite where I would have liked when it came to efficiency on O.

W/ Doyle and Moore, Law likely would have avg'd more ppg (as his usage would have gone up), but don't think his efficiency on O would have improved, and quite possibly would have dropped (as he would have become more of a focal point for opposing D's).

Crawford? I'd make the argument for Lindsey, but Scottie was too much of a pud.

Those 2 played a diff. position (even if CC's is more of a wing -system) - would equate Crawford w/ Law.

At the 2, there's Cobb, Hearn and Moore (can even add Hachad if going farther back or Demps - of whom perfectly fine splitting btwn BC and CC).

But where's the successor to Lindsey?

Who has been able to take Lumpkin's spot?

If Law hadn't gotten injured and RS'd, who would be able to fill his shoes?

Heck, we can even go to role players off the bench.

Has there been a shooter from beyond the arc who could consistently hit the 3 as Tap (who finished w/ a .414 3P%).

And speaking of shooters, there was Shurna, Moore, Coble - haven't exactly had shooters of that caliber (yet).

The one position where CC has been able to upgrade is at the 5 w/ Pardon; but again, who's going to take over from Pardon?

At this juncture, can't see BB being the guy, so it's going to have to be one of the frosh or next year's crop.

As I have stated (as I see it), part of the problem is that CC is recruiting too many of the same type of wing players.

Ones who seemingly can't shoot (at least when they don the purple) and aren't particularly adept at scoring while driving to the basket.

A sub-set of that problem is w/ focusing on recruiting lanky stretch-4s.

The 'Cats end up getting hammered in the paint when the opposing team has 2-3 beefy guys up front (Pardon can't do it alone and that was why Lumpkin, despite being undersized, was so key).

It would be less of a problem if those stretch-4s could shoot, but right now, there isn't one who can do on an even somewhat consistent basis.[/QUOTE]

I count Pardon for two reasons. He was supposed to be RS. He was forced into service when both our centers went down and he played very well. His playing time was limited because the others got healthy. He made an impact when he was in and had we not had Olah, he likely would have been in from the beginning of the year. If they had been successful at RS him, his Frosh year would have been the following year an his impact was pretty significant.

Out of the 20 games Pardon played as a frosh, he scored 6 or fewer in 13 of them.

Yes, Pardon filled a vital role when Olah went down, but not playing a 3rd of the games and then going on to score in the double-digits for only 3 games does not make an impact player in my book.

As far as Frosh having the opportunity for making an impact this year, not when Taylor and Turner had been brought in. Had they not, likely one of them would have made the impact you look for. Again, the ability of a Frosh to make an impact has a lot to do with whether there is an opening for them to take over, either in a starting role or minutes off the bench.

The top 4 leading scorers for Dook are all frosh; guess what?

They beat out upperclassmen.

Cobb as a frosh was an impact player off the bench, and then worked his way into the starting lineup.

It's actually a pretty sad state of affairs that someone couldn't eventually beat out Taylor (Gaines seems to have taken Turner's starting spot) and that there is no better option than starting BB in the frontcourt.

A frosh Cobb would be starting in place of Taylor.

As far as Greer, he was supposed to still be in HS. While I think he will be fine, for this year, he was not ready. So while the opportunity was available, he was not really in a position to take advantage. And as far as ratings of Sobo vs Greer, Sobo came in after his full time in HS and was more physically ready to be here. Greer was supposed to still be in HS. Next year is what should be compared to Sobo's Frosh year.

And BMac came in a year older than the typical frosh.

It is what it is.

BMac took over Sobo's starting job b/c he was better, despite Sobo being older and actually having college experience.

RI presumably transferred and Falzon wasn't seeing much time b/c CC had been giving minutes at the 4 to Kopp and Nance (got recruited over), altho that really hasn't panned out yet on the court.

There's nothing that says that BMac couldn't have been recruited over, or Juice or Shurna or any other player - aside from the program/s long travails when it comes to recruiting.

Remember Swop?

He got recruited over at Louisville. Happens all the time.

Your definitions keep changing. If you want to count Shurna making an impact as a Frosh (he averaged 18 mpg and scored an average of less than 8 pts) you have to count Falzon as he played more and averaged more ppg than Shurna did his Frosh year. Cobb played similar minutes to Falzon and while he scored less, he did other things.

Actually, have been quite consistent and already covered this.

The reason why I left off Falzon is due to his poor efficiency.

Shurna shot .466 from the field as frosh, whereas Falzon shot .383.

Law's efficiency was similar to that of Falzon's, but I included him b/c he contributed in other ways w/ his D and rebounding.

Last edited:
Next time just direct us to your blog or tell us when the book is available on Amazon.
No wonder our program is a laughing stock. We argue endlessly about things that don’t even matter. Whom do you hope to convince?

Out of the 20 games Pardon played as a frosh, he scored 6 or fewer in 13 of them.

Yes, Pardon filled a vital role when Olah went down, but not playing a 3rd of the games and then going on to score in the double-digits for only 3 games does not make an impact player in my book.

Cobb as a frosh was an impact player off the bench, and then worked his way into the starting lineup.

It's actually a pretty sad state of affairs that someone couldn't eventually beat out Taylor (Gaines seems to have taken Turner's starting spot) and that there is no better option than starting BB in the frontcourt.

It is what it is.

BMac took over Sobo's starting job b/c he was better, despite Sobo being older and actually having college experience.

RI presumably transferred and Falzon wasn't seeing much time b/c CC had been giving minutes at the 4 to Kopp and Nance (got recruited over), altho that really hasn't panned out yet on the court.

There's nothing that says that BMac couldn't have been recruited over, or Juice or Shurna or any other player - aside from the program/s long travails when it comes to recruiting.

Remember Swop?

Law's efficiency was similar to that of Falzon's, but I included him b/c he contributed in other ways w/ his D and rebounding.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Only one team from last nights games to evaluate, as OSU and MSU have already been evaluated, and we're already a known quanity:

Rutgers: is kind of a mess at this position-- they don't have a single player on their entire roster with over a 1.5 A/TO ratio and no guard with higher than a 1.36 (Gio Baker, who brings the ball up on most possessions, but is really a 2 guard). Even if I am charitable and give Gio the benefit of the doubt here because of his shot creation ability, there is no one close to being a second option here, though, to their credit, they make up for lack of ballhandlers down low (43rd in the nation in total rebounding). So score this one for me, though it is a sub-.500 team so they won't count on the Dance card:

Updated stats:

Last night, Me: 1 Bob 0
Overall: Bob 6, Me 5

Not directed at you specifically, Mike, but does this competition with Ignore enrich your life? When we get to the end of the road, we look back at wasted time and wonder why we didn’t make the most of that time we had...

Everyone else: Why does it matter which assistant recruited whom? The head coach is in charge. We don’t ding Fitz for really good recruits his assistants bring in.

Fact is we are still a losing basketball program so why are you people arguing about which Coach was “better” at losing?

Totally relevant w/ the topics/threads at hand.
If you don't care to read them - just don't.

1. I've stated many a time that it's way too early to come to any sort of conclusion about the current frosh class, but that doesn't take away that need at least one (preferably 2) frosh to be significant contributors.

2. I've also stated that will need a couple of the frosh to make that soph-leap, along w/ a couple of the incoming frosh to be immediate impact players (does that sound like I have given up on the current frosh or the incoming class?) - which seems to me is realistic if the team is to have any chance of success next season.

3. What you may call cherry-picking; I call being detailed and often the difference-makers are in the details.

4. Maybe I seem to be harsher on CC's recruiting, but (a) that's why he was brought into the program (his program is much more reliant on having talent than BC's) and (b) had a higher level of success from which to work off.

It's the same criticism of Fitz that certain # of us have had - Fitz wasn't starting where Barnett started.

I've stated that there haven't been enough frosh making an immediate impact to replace the talent that was leaving.

Not that BC was all that great at it, but at least he was replacing the 1 key graduating SR w/ an incoming frosh (towards the 2nd half of his tenure), where he was able to achieve a certain level of success 4 seasons in a row (would have been a 5th, but for the injuries and Cobb's suspension).

Think about it - if Law hadn't gotten injured and had to take a RS year, it would just be Pardon as the lone reliable starter.

When have I ever stated different?

Is this seriously your line of reasoning? lol

The very fact that Coble was able to come in as a frosh and avg. 13.4 ppg was impressive enough, but even more impressive was that he was doing that on a team where the next best scorer was Doyle (who, btw, was a horrible 3 pt shooter - at least for that season,).

You think opposing defenses were scheming to stop Doyle?

As for Moore, he wasn't yet the sharpshooter that he became as an upperclassman.

So opposing defenses focused on stopping Coble, and yet, he not only managed to avg 13.4 ppg, but even more impressive was the fact that he had a FG% of .494 and 2P% of .555 (which was amazing for a forward who didn't really dunk).

In contrast, Law wasn't the focal point of the NU O when he was frosh so teams weren't scheming/doubling to stop him (Demps, Olah and BMac all avg'd in double figures).

And despite that, Law FG% was .387 and 2P% was .409 which is low for a forward, esp. one who is athletic and can dunk.

I did consider D and rebounding - that's why I have Law as an impact frosh even tho he wasn't quite where I would have liked when it came to efficiency on O.

W/ Doyle and Moore, Law likely would have avg'd more ppg (as his usage would have gone up), but don't think his efficiency on O would have improved, and quite possibly would have dropped (as he would have become more of a focal point for opposing D's).

Those 2 played a diff. position (even if CC's is more of a wing -system) - would equate Crawford w/ Law.

At the 2, there's Cobb, Hearn and Moore (can even add Hachad if going farther back or Demps - of whom perfectly fine splitting btwn BC and CC).

But where's the successor to Lindsey?

Who has been able to take Lumpkin's spot?

If Law hadn't gotten injured and RS'd, who would be able to fill his shoes?

Heck, we can even go to role players off the bench.

Has there been a shooter from beyond the arc who could consistently hit the 3 as Tap (who finished w/ a .414 3P%).

And speaking of shooters, there was Shurna, Moore, Coble - haven't exactly had shooters of that caliber (yet).

The one position where CC has been able to upgrade is at the 5 w/ Pardon; but again, who's going to take over from Pardon?

At this juncture, can't see BB being the guy, so it's going to have to be one of the frosh or next year's crop.

As I have stated (as I see it), part of the problem is that CC is recruiting too many of the same type of wing players.

Ones who seemingly can't shoot (at least when they don the purple) and aren't particularly adept at scoring while driving to the basket.

A sub-set of that problem is w/ focusing on recruiting lanky stretch-4s.

The 'Cats end up getting hammered in the paint when the opposing team has 2-3 beefy guys up front (Pardon can't do it alone and that was why Lumpkin, despite being undersized, was so key).

It would be less of a problem if those stretch-4s could shoot, but right now, there isn't one who can do on an even somewhat consistent basis.
[/QUOTE]
And the award for the best use of the “quote” feature goes to Katatonic.

Reactions: NUCat320

It is what it is.

Remember Swop?

And the award for the longest post when combined with an immediately proceeding post on the same subject goes to Katatonic.

Reactions: ricko654321
Nothing moves except you guys. Ballhandling guards. Guards that either have court vision reflected in strong assist turnover ratios or guys that can take the ball to the hoop and either finish or dish.

You can change the story all you want. Come dance time, I plan to discuss how many teams have at least two of these guys on their rosters. We don’t. We probably don’t have one.

Come dance time, you plan to discuss how many teams have at least 2 of these “ball handling guards”?

Bob, besides the endless CCC sucks threads, these ballhanding guards posts are the only thing on these boards for the last 2 weeks.

Of that 2008 class, TH had most to do w/ the recruitment of Rowley.

Shurna committed in May of 2007, and while I'm sure having TH on staff played a significant role, don't think Shurna's recruitment started just a year before he committed.

And a big linchpin to signing more touted local recruits was already having Juice in the fold.
But maybe TH took the meeting that BC didn't. It is also likely that TH's involvement in the local AAU circuit had him in strong position with Shurna so his addition to the staff might have gotten the job done

Not directed at you specifically, Mike, but does this competition with Ignore enrich your life? When we get to the end of the road, we look back at wasted time and wonder why we didn’t make the most of that time we had...

Everyone else: Why does it matter which assistant recruited whom? The head coach is in charge. We don’t ding Fitz for really good recruits his assistants bring in.

Fact is we are still a losing basketball program so why are you people arguing about which Coach was “better” at losing?
While true, it was pretty well known that BC never really got into recruiting andrecruiting made a marked improvement once TH got here. Sort of easy to point to

Ahhh, the perfect Katatonic response.

The few sentences to attempt to be reasonable, then the overwhelming number of paragraphs to go out of your way to make your point ... again ... and again ... with some silly veil that this is an unbiased assessment.

The fact that you continually don't even want to acknowledge the VERY obvious, VERY statistically-similar Lumpkin replacement is all I need to know about your objectivity in this discussion.

But I have to give it to you. In your attempt to go out of your way to shred Collins, you've taken it to a new level. Now we should not only be concerned about the CC/Carmody comparison, but let's measure Collins vs. Collins. Indeed, "where's the successor to Lindsey??!?!?!?"

Collins is so bad, he can't even replace his own guy in less than one year.

Last edited:

The whole thread started on PGs. It then went to guards and then to ballhandlers and then to ball handling guards and then to your definition. Sort of the definition of moving the goal posts.

And this would be relevant if you actually compared their eFG% considering Falzon shot 100 more 3's than Shurna did as a freshman. Shurna's eFG% of 53.9 vs Falzon's of 52.2 doesn't look so different. Plus Shurna turned the ball over twice as much and had a lower Offensive Rating.

Reactions: hdhntr1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT