ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should Thorson play at all the next two games?

Should Thorson sit out both games before Michigan?

• Yes. Let him heal until scUM comes to town. Go for the B1G title above all else

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Start him versus Duke, but sit him against Akron

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Play him every snap that he can walk. Life is short and the season is shorter

Votes: 37 51.4%

• Total voters

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Honestly curious to see where the board’s pulse is on this: should Thorson play in either non-conference game that doesn’t involve Notre Dame, or should the coaches sit him until the “real season” resumes?

I have a strong personal opinion on this, but want to see what the feeling is on here.

Duke yes
Honestly curious to see where the board’s pulse is on this: should Thorson play in either non-conference game that doesn’t involve Notre Dame, or should the coaches sit him until the “real season” resumes?

I have a strong personal opinion on this, but want to see what the feeling is on here.
Duke yes, Akron no!

My ideal scenario:

1. Duke -- same "series share," perhaps with a little more time on the field to test his response to more reps. This game is important for bowl eligibility and to increase his physical tolerance before B1G play
  2. Akron -- decreased reps as the game is (hopefully) in hand early. Need a W, hopefully don't have to depend on Thorson too much.
  3. Bye week -- rest and ramp up activity
  4. Michigan and thereafter -- full-time gig, or at least as close as he can physically take. Game on.

My ideal scenario:

1. Duke -- same "series share," perhaps with a little more time on the field to test his response to more reps. This game is important for bowl eligibility and to increase his physical tolerance before B1G play
  2. Akron -- decreased reps as the game is (hopefully) in hand early. Need a W, hopefully don't have to depend on Thorson too much.
  4. Michigan and thereafter -- full-time gig, or at least as close as he can physically take. Game on.
Yes

My ideal scenario:

Those were my thoughts, kind of in between option 2 and 3

My ideal scenario:

I agree that this is the optimal scenario, but am shaken by the memory of Siemian tearing his ACL in a QB sneak - of all plays - against Purdue the week or two after he beat Notre Dame.

I knew as soon as TS went down in that scrum that his knee was gone. I have no problem with Thorson playing as much as he did against Purdue - in a B1G game - but, given how little impact our blowout loss to Duke had last year & that our backup QB should be able to beat Akron, I’m fine if he sits out until Hairbag comes to town.

We haven’t beaten the scUMbags in 10 years. We’ll need Thorson healthy to do so this year and solidify our B1G championship odds.

Reactions: ricko654321
I wouldn't mind if CT/Green split again against Duke, but I hope the timing is a bit better. When Green came in - after the offense dominated its first two possessions but Purdue had cut the lead to seven, I thought he timing was awful to throw in Green. It just took all the wind out of our strong start. I don't know what the best time is to try that, but that didn't feel like it was.

Touch for me to have a significant informed opinion when we don't know the facts, not that we have any right/need to know the facts, either.

We'd be big underdogs to Duke if CT isn't playing 8-9 series as the current assumption is (based off the notion that he plays a similar series count/pitch count as he did against Purdue). TJ has proven himself a worthy backup, but we shouldn't want to test him out there the whole game against anybody except Akron and Illinois.

Akron is really where it's more important for us to have a couple strong series at the start (offensively and defensively) to minimize CT's series count: Get out to a multi-TD lead and keep CT on the bench.

If we can beat Akron with CT just playing the first 2 series (at most 8-10 plays), that would be very optimal and allow the staff to make sure he's ready to test taking the full QB job for Michigan.

He needs to get his timing down prior to MICH and the only way to do it is to play. Against DUKE he is likely needed (pitch count?) . Against Akron, hopefully not.

We'd be big underdogs to Duke if CT isn't playing 8-9 series as the current assumption is (based off the notion that he plays a similar series count/pitch count as he did against Purdue). TJ has proven himself a worthy backup, but we shouldn't want to test him out there the whole game against anybody except Akron and Illinois.

Akron is really where it's more important for us to have a couple strong series at the start (offensively and defensively) to minimize CT's series count: Get out to a multi-TD lead and keep CT on the bench.

If we can beat Akron with CT just playing the first 2 series (at most 8-10 plays), that would be very optimal and allow the staff to make sure he's ready to test taking the full QB job for Michigan.
Depends on how long those series are

If it was unsafe to play, Thorson would not have played at all. The strategy for Thorson in the Purdue game was clearly about maximizing Thorson’s effectiveness over an entire 12+ game season. To do that, Thorson needs to play as much as possible, but not so much that he cannot practice effectively the next Monday or Tuesday (due to swelling and/or excessive soreness) or play at a high level the next week.

If Thorson woke up last Friday and Saturday mornings feeling pretty good in the knee, he ought to play more (if not all) snaps vs Duke. If he had excess swelling and soreness, he ought to stay on a pitch count vs Duke.

The best case is that Thorson felt so great the mornings after the Purdue game, that he (and the coaching and medical staff) thinks he can play all competitive snaps vs Duke. Like any football player, Thorson will get better and more confident by actually playing the game (as much as possible) and making plays. I’d rather Thorson play a full game (while the game is still undecided) before Michigan comes to town. Resting him just to “keep him safe” is a terrible idea. Only rest him if it’s necessary for him to recover for the next game and the next week’s game prep.

I don’t think that trying to make it through a full game for the first time versus a quality Michigan defense is the ideal first test. I hope he can get more snaps vs Duke and all (competitive) snaps vs. Akron.

No

Reactions: Fitz51
If it was unsafe to play, Thorson would not have played at all. The strategy for Thorson in the Purdue game was clearly about maximizing Thorson’s effectiveness over an entire 12+ game season. To do that, Thorson needs to play as much as possible, but not so much that he cannot practice effectively the next Monday or Tuesday (due to swelling and/or excessive soreness) or play at a high level the next week.

If Thorson woke up last Friday and Saturday mornings feeling pretty good in the knee, he ought to play more (if not all) snaps vs Duke. If he had excess swelling and soreness, he ought to stay on a pitch count vs Duke.

The best case is that Thorson felt so great the mornings after the Purdue game, that he (and the coaching and medical staff) thinks he can play all competitive snaps vs Duke. Like any football player, Thorson will get better and more confident by actually playing the game (as much as possible) and making plays. I’d rather Thorson play a full game (while the game is still undecided) before Michigan comes to town. Resting him just to “keep him safe” is a terrible idea. Only rest him if it’s necessary for him to recover for the next game and the next week’s game prep.

I don’t think that trying to make it through a full game for the first time versus a quality Michigan defense is the ideal first test. I hope he can get more snaps vs Duke and all (competitive) snaps vs. Akron.

Excellent post. Agree with this and GCG’s response 100%.

My ideal scenario:

Agree

I wouldn't mind if CT/Green split again against Duke, but I hope the timing is a bit better. When Green came in - after the offense dominated its first two possessions but Purdue had cut the lead to seven, I thought he timing was awful to throw in Green. It just took all the wind out of our strong start. I don't know what the best time is to try that, but that didn't feel like it was.
Green got caught in a new rule that caused the delay of game penalty. Saw other teams get caught by it this past weekend as well. Then another penalty on the OL is what made it look like the timing was off.

I like the pitch count plan, conservative enough for CT, and both will improve.
Down 2 TDS at halftime. I heretofore rescind any past suggestion of mine that Thorson should lose any snaps to Green (or any other backup QB).

The talent gap is too vast and Thorson looks fine & mobile. That first substitution where Green promptly threw a pick killed our offense’s momentum.

Down 2 TDS at halftime. I heretofore rescind any past suggestion of mine that Thorson should lose any snaps to Green (or any other backup QB).

The talent gap is too vast and Thorson looks fine & mobile. That first substitution where Green promptly threw a pick killed our offense’s momentum.
Bingo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT