ADVERTISEMENT

Props to Cardale Jones

I know he has been the poster child for student athletes not being students, but he has received a bit of an unfair shake in the process. The original Tweet was studied, period. What we have learned about him is that while immature early in his collegiate career, he also has a certain sense of humor that he has exhibited throughout and he needed to learn what are the potential consequences of you are going to be a Social Media contributor.

But beyond that, when you take a look at his background, that he was never in trouble for team violations or questions on his ethics, stepped up and produced in 2014 when JT went down, returned when he could have taken the money and gone pro in 2015, wasn't a divisive force in the team when he lost his starting position in 2015, and after being drafted and earning professional NFL dollars, he still returned to school to finish his degree. It also showed that he wasn't to far off of his degree by being able to finish his education within 1 semester of leaving.

So all things considered, while he wasn't of the academic stature of someone admitted to NU, I proudly claim him as a fellow OSU alum.

I know he has been the poster child for student athletes not being students, but he has received a bit of an unfair shake in the process. The original Tweet was studied, period. What we have learned about him is that while immature early in his collegiate career, he also has a certain sense of humor that he has exhibited throughout and he needed to learn what are the potential consequences of you are going to be a Social Media contributor.

But beyond that, when you take a look at his background, that he was never in trouble for team violations or questions on his ethics, stepped up and produced in 2014 when JT went down, returned when he could have taken the money and gone pro in 2015, wasn't a divisive force in the team when he lost his starting position in 2015, and after being drafted and earning professional NFL dollars, he still returned to school to finish his degree. It also showed that he wasn't to far off of his degree by being able to finish his education within 1 semester of leaving.

So all things considered, while he wasn't of the academic stature of someone admitted to NU, I proudly claim him as a fellow OSU alum.

No, he wasn't of the academic stature of someone admitted to NU.

But yeah, of course you have to rejoice and be proud when a kid makes it through his years at Columbus without a felony.

OTOH, I guess we can't really talk about that so much these days.

But yeah, of course you have to rejoice and be proud when a kid makes it through his years at Columbus without a felony.

Why doesn't Rivals have a "Dislike" button?

Good post, Klem. He turned out to be a lot different - for the better - than a lot of us (myself included) would ever have guessed. Gotta give the man his due.

Always love your posts over here, a view from the other side, and usually objective. While he was branded by his initial quote, he turned into a student after all, finishing his degree rapidly rather than waiting and doing nothing. And he never showed up on the police blotter Good for him. Not everyone is geared for graduate school but all can make the effort to graduate.

People I'd like to hang out with, ranked:

1. klemman
2. Cardale Jones
3. getting hit by a bus
4. @EvanstonCat

People I'd like to hang out with, ranked:

1. klemman
2. Cardale Jones
3. getting hit by a bus
4. @EvanstonCat

Lol, I guess it would depend on the speed and size of the bus. I don't get offended by ECat. He just adds to the spice of this board. Cardale would probably be more entertaining than me, so you might want to put him at #1. I do appreciate the sentiment however.

That tweet was the product of an immature kid, but he sure seems to have grown up during his time. Seems like a good kid.

Uh... I'm not sure if I should be taking that as an insult or an admission of your truly sick preferences.

Not higher as in ranked higher, but a higher number. What I meant is that in a group of 5 people I would like to hang out with, I would rank Sandusky as about 999,999 and counting. I wasn't saying that I would rather hang out with Sandusky than ECat.

You really have to relax my friend. The world really doesn't revolve around you.

Lol. Copernicus may indeed have come up with a different model if he was a college football fan.

It was just big talk out of a freshman. Jones is no dummy.

Too often, people get a pass on the basis of youthful immaturity - but in this case, seems warranted.

Jones' youthful indiscretion wasn't anything more than a silly post on social media and it certainly seems like he has changed his opinion on that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT