ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those who have strapped it on

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I've seen a lot of comments this week about how NU has an advantage Saturday because they "have nothing to lose" or will be "loose" or "all the pressure is on Notre Dame." I understand these comments, as some people have more problems with pressure than others.

However, what I want to understand is how is this usually manifested in a football game? I'm sorry if this is obvious to most people, but I just wonder in what ways this works to NU's advantage.

Reactions: StreamCat
The favorite gets a lot more frustrated when things don't go their way than does the underdog. Psychological.

Interesting. So let's say ref calls a questionable pass interference. If it's on ND, they're getting distracted and unfocused - "the refs have it in for us!" - while if it's on NU, they're going, "it's cool, we'll just stop 'em here instead." Something like that?

I remember the Cubs in the Bartman game. So much pressure - five more outs! - and when that happened, the team just absolutely fell apart. Bartman was the easy scapegoat, but they made an error, and the floodgates opened. It was inevitable.

Reactions: Rebel_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT