ADVERTISEMENT

Rap will miss season due to injury.

Collins knows he can just redshirt guys, right? He doesn't have to keep breaking their shoulders?

Reactions: NUCat320
Noticed he wasn't in the videos they released last week. This explains why.

Assorted thoughts:

1) This sucks for Rap.

2) It's probably the area where we have the most depth.

3) It's probably a player who would have ended up having to fight for PT this season given two seniors ahead of him, plus some other other underclassmen, even though he projects long term to be a productive player.

3b) It puts Rap in line to take over PT when Lump and Tap graduate.

4) It spaces Rap out a year from Skelly and Falzon, and in doing so balances out the classes a bit more than they currently are.

5) All that said, injuries always hurt, and now we have less depth to withstand additional ones that may accrue throughout the season.

6) Get back healthy, Rap. Law's experience with what sounds like a similar injury hopefully means that the staff has specific protocols to follow in getting Rap back to full health, and that Rap himself has someone he can lean on and talk to as he progresses through recovery.

Can you believe this sh**? I mean, it's an annual occurrence. Here's the release from NU:

Ivanauskas to Miss 2016-17 Season Due to Injury

EVANSTON, Ill. –
Northwestern freshman forward Rapolas Ivanauskas will undergo shoulder surgery and will miss the upcoming 2016-17 season.

"We're disappointed for Rapolas as he's worked extremely hard this summer alongside his teammates," said Northwestern head men's basketball coach Chris Collins. "I know that he will attack his rehab with the same attitude and energy that he has on the court. We expect a full recovery in 4-6 months, and look forward to a very bright future with the Wildcats."

A native of Barrington, Illinois, Ivanauskas prepped his first three years at Barrington High School before spending his senior year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. He was ranked the No. 97 recruit in the nation in the class of 2016 by Rivals.com and was rated as a four-star recruit by 247Sports.com and Rivals.

Northwestern opens its season with an exhibition game against Illinois Springfield at Welsh-Ryan Arena on Nov. 4 before tipping off its regular season at home against Mississippi Valley State on Nov. 11.

Can you believe this sh**? I mean, it's an annual occurrence. Here's the release from NU:

EVANSTON, Ill. –
Northwestern freshman forward Rapolas Ivanauskas will undergo shoulder surgery and will miss the upcoming 2016-17 season.

"We're disappointed for Rapolas as he's worked extremely hard this summer alongside his teammates," said Northwestern head men's basketball coach Chris Collins. "I know that he will attack his rehab with the same attitude and energy that he has on the court. We expect a full recovery in 4-6 months, and look forward to a very bright future with the Wildcats."

A native of Barrington, Illinois, Ivanauskas prepped his first three years at Barrington High School before spending his senior year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. He was ranked the No. 97 recruit in the nation in the class of 2016 by Rivals.com and was rated as a four-star recruit by 247Sports.com and Rivals.

Northwestern opens its season with an exhibition game against Illinois Springfield at Welsh-Ryan Arena on Nov. 4 before tipping off its regular season at home against Mississippi Valley State on Nov. 11.

Could be worse..could be BMac........

We are snake bitten. I want a preseason where there are no injuries

When I first saw this, didn't know whether to laugh or cry...

While the 'Cats are in better position to absorb this loss, re-affirms belief that 2017-18 is the best chance for to break through (even w/ the less than opportune arena situation).

NU Basketball Player Hating God unleashes his wrath again!
I feel like this is my fault. I once looked at a Playboy magazine when I was 12. I knew it was wrong and I knew I would be punished for it, but this is really getting out of hand now!

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I feel like this is my fault. I once looked at a Playboy magazine when I was 12. I knew it was wrong and I knew I would be punished for it, but this is really getting out of hand now!
Did you go blind?

EVANSTON, Ill. –

Better to have it now, I suppose. Rotations not screwed up, not burning a shirt for limited minutes. Plenty of time to heal and get stronger for next year. Does make the JV scholarship more important than it would have been.

i heard the injury is a good thing and redshirt is very welcome from a program standpoint with law, falzon, lumpkin, skelly line up and him adjusting to the speed on the college game

now he just needs to get healthy, develop a year physically, learn the college game, and be ready to go for 4 more years

Better to have it now, I suppose. Rotations not screwed up, not burning a shirt for limited minutes. Plenty of time to heal and get stronger for next year. Does make the JV scholarship more important than it would have been.
You mean he hasn't graduated, yet. For such a smart and conniving guy, thought for sure he'd be in grad school by now.

The scholarship will be available in 2018. Enough already.

Enough what? Personally, I would have preferred the scholarship were available sooner than that. It cost us a Kipper Nichols commit and has left us with little depth in the backcourt...

Why is it an untouchable subject?

Enough what? Personally, I would have preferred the scholarship were available sooner than that. It cost us a Kipper Nichols commit and has left us with little depth in the backcourt...

Why is it an untouchable subject?

Because no one knows the complete story. Criticizing the student without the facts is wrong IMHO.

Because no one knows the complete story. Criticizing the student without the facts is wrong IMHO.

Is it criticizing the student to wish we would've had that bball scholarship?

You've been far harsher on Tap...and he actually plays for us.

Willy continues to attack him. That's what I object to.

Attacks? They're a bit snarky tongue-in-cheek comments, but awfully tame. I know some of the current scholarship players that are actually suiting up have had worse things to say about it. They're a man down because of the situation as well...not just Collins.

Willy continues to attack him. That's what I object to.
yes, it bothers me that he came to NU on basketball schlorship and no longer plays basketball. I don't consider anything I've said as an attack but think he would either play ball and if that's not possible, give it up. If he wants to stay at NU, just maybe he could go for a "needs" schlorship or her is a thought, work his way through. I or others could bring up his high schools in the past or what his former teammates might think of him, while they fulfill there obligation. Let's try and remember he had previously stated that he was going to transfer out but guess that idea has changed.

yes, it bothers me that he came to NU on basketball schlorship and no longer plays basketball. I don't consider anything I've said as an attack but think he would either play ball and if that's not possible, give it up. If he wants to stay at NU, just maybe he could go for a "needs" schlorship or her is a thought, work his way through. I or others could bring up his high schools in the past or what his former teammates might think of him, while they fulfill there obligation. Let's try and remember he had previously stated that he was going to transfer out but guess that idea has changed.

Well...after the transfer situation didn't work out, he "did" want to be back on the team come fall. At that point, he'd missed all the offseason workouts and Collins had already written him off, which basically means he didn't want him back on the team. So, Collins holds a little responsibility there...but I do believe it's not in the best interest of the team to announce your going to transfer because your unhappy with your playing time, then try and come back just as school is starting up again because you didn't find the right fit you were looking for elsewhere. How many D1 coaches would be satisfied starting a precedence like that? None. Obviously, Collins wants his guys fully committed.

With Vassar sitting on the scholie, he's essentially hurting the chances of every player on the team who's goal is to make the NCAAs. This isn't just about Collins...

Reactions: willycat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT