ADVERTISEMENT

Rate of Improvent

7th Cir. Cat

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
We are having a terrible season, but we have some good young players. I understand why there is optimism for the future. What I struggle with is why many people on this board think that we will make the incredible leap forward and the rest of the BIG will remain static. Don't you think Minnesota and Ohio State will get better as well?

Michigan State is the only team in the conference (maybe Indiana) who regularly gets 1 and dones. Everyone else has players that stay for a while and get better. We are the worst team in the BIG. Are we really going to make the astronomical leap to a tourney team next year? Has Collins really shown so much as a coach that we think this core will develop faster than the Gophers sophomores?

Everything is relative. But at the end of the day we are all fans so I guess maybe it's just more fun to say "wait till next year."

We are having a terrible season, but we have some good young players. I understand why there is optimism for the future. What I struggle with is why many people on this board think that we will make the incredible leap forward and the rest of the BIG will remain static. Don't you think Minnesota and Ohio State will get better as well?

Michigan State is the only team in the conference (maybe Indiana) who regularly gets 1 and dones. Everyone else has players that stay for a while and get better. We are the worst team in the BIG. Are we really going to make the astronomical leap to a tourney team next year? Has Collins really shown so much as a coach that we think this core will develop faster than the Gophers sophomores?

Everything is relative. But at the end of the day we are all fans so I guess maybe it's just more fun to say "wait till next year."
We try not to think about this part.

The Gophers will likely lose Oturu and that will hurt them a lot.

But that is beyond the point. And your thoughts are very valid. They also apply to new incoming classes. Nicholson and Berry are good picks, but a lot of B1G teams will have better classes than us.

The hope is that we are close enough to winning games that experience will make us actually win those games.

totally valid and I think the optimism is based on being among the youngest and most inexperienced teams.

When I look back 4 years to our one and only Tourney team, I ask myself if we are that far away from having a roster that compares. I think BMac and Pardon were the best and most consistent players on that team, with Lindsey and Law being very consistent defenders who were capable of exploding on offense given certain matchups. Then there Sanjay, the Swiss Army Knife with his giant basketball brain, and some productive wing depth with Skelly and Tap.

If you squint your eyes and project the curve, it seems we are getting close. Boo is a different player than BMac, but he's a rarity in that he's an NU guard who can create a shot. I think he becomes really dangerous if he continues to drive, and either draws fouls or dishes to guys who can reliably shoot. With Berry (reports suggest he's a shooter), Kopp and Beran on the outside, and Young, Nance and Beran able to work inside, we might have something that really threatens teams on offense.

But this depends on continued improvement, especially from Boo and Nance, and Beran becoming the guy we think he can become, which is a threat to score from pretty much anywhere and a matchup problem.

I see Gaines as our Swiss Army knife defender, though he cannot shoot like Sanjay could. Hard to say what to make of Jones, but he flashes athleticism inside that I think will bear fruit.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Good points. I had a ballpark thought about that yesterday. OSU is awfully young, however, I think the Cats match up with them reasonably well if you take away Wesson. OTOH, there's still one more year of Wesson and they have size beyond that.

Minnesota ... there they are as they are every year at .500. They won't concern me more than most other B10 teams until Rickie shows he can actually do something of significance with talent.

It would be nice if NU could keep up consistently with MSU, Purdue and ... I'll throw Maryland in there. But, for the moment, that's a day dream.

However, can we agree they've played the rest of the league tight (well, except Iowa ... another big guy who killed them)?

They've got a point guard. Kopp seems to have developed into a scorer. They have some size. Still, they need a couple pieces to get over that hump.

They need a complement to Young. He's nice, but they need someone who can bang just a bit more. I don't think it's over the moon to think Jones can develop into that. But they need him to be a REALLY solid defender to give Young solid breaks.

Nicholson could be that guy also, but let's assume he's not for now. Skinny kid.

They also need one more consistently, solid shooter. Beran could be that guy, but for the sake of conversation, let's say he's not also.

Lastly, their defense also needs work. I'm hoping their rotations improve with age. But I think a good big defender would be a huge help to the defense as a whole. Too often, I think they need to help the interior, leaving those perimeter threes wide open.

A solid big defender and/or another shooter to complement this group is not beyond the realm of possibility. And that's assuming no one on this team improves and Berry, Nicholson and Audige give you nothing.

Fingers crossed.

Good points. I had a ballpark thought about that yesterday. OSU is awfully young, however, I think the Cats match up with them reasonably well if you take away Wesson. OTOH, there's still one more year of Wesson and they have size beyond that.

Minnesota ... there they are as they are every year at .500. They won't concern me more than most other B10 teams until Rickie shows he can actually do something of significance with talent.

It would be nice if NU could keep up consistently with MSU, Purdue and ... I'll throw Maryland in there. But, for the moment, that's a day dream.

However, can we agree they've played the rest of the league tight (well, except Iowa ... another big guy who killed them)?

They've got a point guard. Kopp seems to have developed into a scorer. They have some size. Still, they need a couple pieces to get over that hump.

They need a complement to Young. He's nice, but they need someone who can bang just a bit more. I don't think it's over the moon to think Jones can develop into that. But they need him to be a REALLY solid defender to give Young solid breaks.

Nicholson could be that guy also, but let's assume he's not for now. Skinny kid.

They also need one more consistently, solid shooter. Beran could be that guy, but for the sake of conversation, let's say he's not also.

Lastly, their defense also needs work. I'm hoping their rotations improve with age. But I think a good big defender would be a huge help to the defense as a whole. Too often, I think they need to help the interior, leaving those perimeter threes wide open.

A solid big defender and/or another shooter to complement this group is not beyond the realm of possibility. And that's assuming no one on this team improves and Berry, Nicholson and Audige give you nothing.

Fingers crossed.

I don't know if Nicholson is a lefty or a righty, he tends to go left, but the video shows him shooting effectively with both hands.

And he doesn't look that small, looks like he's filling out.

His parents are going to be super happy when he moves to Evanston and NU athletics is feeding him.

Because we are younger than any other team and we are playing more shorthanded than is reasonable. And we don't have the solid mix of position. Next year we will have experience and balance across the positions like we have not had in a while. I mean this year we a RS Frosh starting at center and his backup is a true Frosh who is likely more of a PF. Next year our RS Frosh will be a RS Soph with a year of experience and his backup either being a Soph with a year experience learning how to stay out of foul trouble or he will morph into a PF and the backup will be a 7 footer with skills. I also feel we are likely to get a nice grad transfer to fill out our roster better. Our wings of Kopp, Behran and Nance will have another year (Kopp, having legs in second half, Nance learning the importance of his inside game and Behran being more consistent. But more important is the guards. Our best defender will be back, Buie with a year in the weight room and health, a top guard coming in and our transfer being able to play. Spencer has been fun. Turner has been good but is really more of a 2/3 so I like our mix going into next year better. Overall it is the better balance, depth and physical maturity of the team that I feel will lead us to more victories. Not like I see a dance team next year but I do see an uptick to 6-8 BIG victories(and not the letdowns such as to Radford), a fun team to watch and a thorn in the side of many of the teams in the conference hoping to dance.

Reactions: freewillie07
You've laid out the reasons to be optimistic and I don't disagree with any of them. But Oturu and Dosunmu are top 5 scorers in the BIG and they are both Sophomores. DJ Carton (OSU) and Trayce Davis (IU) and Cockburn (ILL) are Freshmen.

My point is not that we won't be better, it's that the BIG is a hell of a league and I wonder if our is rate of improvement going to keep up. We have to improve dramatically to compete for a tourney bid.

Maybe Ayo and Davis leave for the NBA and that will help. But other teams have young players who are crushing it and will only get better.

You've laid out the reasons to be optimistic and I don't disagree with any of them. But Oturu and Dosunmu are top 5 scorers in the BIG and they are both Sophomores. DJ Carton (OSU) and Trayce Davis (IU) and Cockburn (ILL) are Freshmen.

My point is not that we won't be better, it's that the BIG is a hell of a league and I wonder if our is rate of improvement going to keep up. We have to improve dramatically to compete for a tourney bid.

Maybe Ayo and Davis leave for the NBA and that will help. But other teams have young players who are crushing it and will only get better.
Where are people projecting a tourney bid next year? What am I missing? I think most people are saying a potential to get to 7-8 wins in the B1G. That’s still less than 500?

I would be very surprised to see Ayo and Otero return for next season. I think Cockburn goes in the first round right now and would not be shocked to see him declare.

NU has ALWAYS had less talent on The team than their B1G peers. Probably even in the tourney year. The bigger issue is they have rarely if ever had the superstar talent like you mention. Put any of those guys on your list on this team this year and you are looking at 500. Put the pieces together, try and stay healthy and we should realistically have a shot in 21-22 to go dancing.

When I look back 4 years to our one and only Tourney team, I ask myself if we are that far away from having a roster that compares. .
I agree with you. But too much is made of that team. It was an average Big 10 team in a down season for the B1G. Much as it was a high water mark for NU Men's hoops, that team was tied for 5th with 3 other teams. And it was a miracle 92 foot heave from being a 9th place team if it loses to Michigan. So yes, the current roster might compete with that team for success, but that is only rising from the basement of the B1G to mid-pack.

We are almost half way through the B1G season. We are going to blink and it will be over. I just don't see the leap within the season. I think we started by being better than most of us expected, demonstrated by the Providence game. But I have serious doubts we have improved from that moment

This notion that we have been competing with every team is, IMO, a bit rosy. Realistically it is more like we are not being blown out by anyone. And competing in 1/2 the games.
-Purdue - We never led after 5 min to go in the 1st. Got within 7, that's it
-Michigan State - We never lead, period. Got within five a couple of times and kind of scared them at the end
-Minny - never led after 12:30 to go in the first. Closest we got in the 2nd was 8
-Iowa - never lead after 5 minutes to go in the 1st. Got within 3 early in the 2nd.
-OSU - last lead was with 14:30 to go.

So we were not as bad coming out of the summer as I thought. And budget season can't come soon enough because I have way too much time on my hands at work. :oops:

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat
I keep thinking along these lines...

Our current “optimal” starting 5 (minus Gaines due to season ending injury) is:
Spencer- first year playing college ball
Buie- freshman
Young- freshman
Nance- sophomore
Kopp- sophomore

First off the bench:
Beran-freshman
Turner- senior
Jones- freshman

That level of youth will never be a recipe for success outside maybe your top ten recruiting teams.

Even next year shows a pretty young team (PG-soph/fresh, SG-senior/junior/freshman, SF-junior, PF-junior/soph/soph, C-soph/soph/fresh), so although the should be better, we probably can’t expect too much. I’m hoping for competitive and back above .500 overall.

Projecting it out, 2021-2022 should give us a good shot at success with good health (which I realize assumes a LOT at NU).
PG-Buie(JR)
SG-Audige/Berry(SR/SO)
SF-Kopp(SR)
PF-Nance/Beran(SR/JR)
C-Young(JR)
That should be a group with a lot of experience and hopefully realized potential.

We are almost half way through the B1G season. We are going to blink and it will be over. I just don't see the leap within the season. I think we started by being better than most of us expected, demonstrated by the Providence game. But I have serious doubts we have improved from that moment

This notion that we have been competing with every team is, IMO, a bit rosy. Realistically it is more like we are not being blown out by anyone. And competing in 1/2 the games.
-Purdue - We never led after 5 min to go in the 1st. Got within 7, that's it
-Michigan State - We never lead, period. Got within five a couple of times and kind of scared them at the end
-Minny - never led after 12:30 to go in the first. Closest we got in the 2nd was 8
-Iowa - never lead after 5 minutes to go in the 1st. Got within 3 early in the 2nd.
-OSU - last lead was with 14:30 to go.

So we were not as bad coming out of the summer as I thought. And budget season can't come soon enough because I have way too much time on my hands at work. :oops:
I dunno, I'd like to think that it's a positive that we haven't really been blown out by anyone considering our history is littered with multiple games per season even in the good years. As far back as the 09-10 season, we've never made it through a conference season without at least 3 games where we were losing by 20 at any point, and there were quite a few more where the lead got to 18 or 19 as well. If I had to guess, I'd say the most obvious candidates the rest of the season are @MSU and @MD, but if they can keep fighting and not lose their spirit, hopefully it bodes well for the future.

Games where we were down by 20 at any point by season:
19-20: @Minny
18-19: @MSU, @Mich, @MD, Minny
17-18: @IU, @MD, @Iowa
16-17: @Purdue, MD, Wisconsin[BTT]
15-16: MD, @IU, MSU, @Iowa
14-15: Wisconsin, @Wisconsin, MSU, @Illinois
13-14: Wisconsin, @Mich, @Iowa, Iowa, @OSU, PSU, MSU[BTT]
-----------
12-13: Mich, @Minny, Iowa, @Mich, Illinois, Wisconsin, @Purdue
11-12: @OSU, @Wisconsin, @Minny
10-11: @Illinois, Wisconsin, @PSU
09-10: MSU, @OSU, @PSU

I dunno, I'd like to think that it's a positive that we haven't really been blown out by anyone considering our history is littered with multiple games per season even in the good years. As far back as the 09-10 season, we've never made it through a conference season without at least 3 games where we were losing by 20 at any point, and there were quite a few more where the lead got to 18 or 19 as well. If I had to guess, I'd say the most obvious candidates the rest of the season are @MSU and @MD, but if they can keep fighting and not lose their spirit, hopefully it bodes well for the future.

Games where we were down by 20 at any point by season:
19-20: @Minny
18-19: @MSU, @Mich, @MD, Minny
17-18: @IU, @MD, @Iowa
16-17: @Purdue, MD, Wisconsin[BTT]
15-16: MD, @IU, MSU, @Iowa
14-15: Wisconsin, @Wisconsin, MSU, @Illinois
13-14: Wisconsin, @Mich, @Iowa, Iowa, @OSU, PSU, MSU[BTT]
-----------
12-13: Mich, @Minny, Iowa, @Mich, Illinois, Wisconsin, @Purdue
11-12: @OSU, @Wisconsin, @Minny
10-11: @Illinois, Wisconsin, @PSU
09-10: MSU, @OSU, @PSU
BIG season is only about half way through. But I like the optimistic spin.

I think the big thing is that you need to have a couple guys who can just go get a bucket when you need one. I think Boo will develop into that kind of guy. I’m hopeful that Ty Berry is that kind of player as well. On this team, Spencer thinks he’s that guy, and I love that confidence he has! I feel like in recent games, some of his swagger has been rubbing off on Miller Kopp!

Next year is a long way off, there will be guys on other teams that may leave early, maybe transfer, maybe regress. Every year is different, but I like the young guys getting a lot of minutes this season. Hoping it has the desired result and they learn what they can and can’t get away with against Big 10 opponents.

I think the big thing is that you need to have a couple guys who can just go get a bucket when you need one. I think Boo will develop into that kind of guy. I’m hopeful that Ty Berry is that kind of player as well. On this team, Spencer thinks he’s that guy, and I love that confidence he has! I feel like in recent games, some of his swagger has been rubbing off on Miller Kopp!

Next year is a long way off, there will be guys on other teams that may leave early, maybe transfer, maybe regress. Every year is different, but I like the young guys getting a lot of minutes this season. Hoping it has the desired result and they learn what they can and can’t get away with against Big 10 opponents.
Audige might also be a guy who can go to the rack.

The other possibility that hasn't been discussed ... What if Kopp can make a shot off the dribble? I don't think he's a guy who can drive to the basket at will. But he can take those two dribbles to get a better shot.

The moves are there. He just hasn't knocked them down.

Once again, not a far out idea.

I’d love to see a breakdown of each Big Ten team based on seniors/those leaving early for draft. NU is losing Spencer and Turner. What is everyone else losing? I think the optimism is based on the expectation that other programs are losing more of their scoring and starting minutes than that.

And to replace Spencer and Turner, NU gets Berry, Audige, Nicholson and probably a grad transfer. Plus a fourth-year lockdown defender in Gaines back from injury.

Because we are younger than any other team and we are playing more shorthanded than is reasonable. And we don't have the solid mix of position. Next year we will have experience and balance across the positions like we have not had in a while. I mean this year we a RS Frosh starting at center and his backup is a true Frosh who is likely more of a PF. Next year our RS Frosh will be a RS Soph with a year of experience and his backup either being a Soph with a year experience learning how to stay out of foul trouble or he will morph into a PF and the backup will be a 7 footer with skills. I also feel we are likely to get a nice grad transfer to fill out our roster better. Our wings of Kopp, Behran and Nance will have another year (Kopp, having legs in second half, Nance learning the importance of his inside game and Behran being more consistent. But more important is the guards. Our best defender will be back, Buie with a year in the weight room and health, a top guard coming in and our transfer being able to play. Spencer has been fun. Turner has been good but is really more of a 2/3 so I like our mix going into next year better. Overall it is the better balance, depth and physical maturity of the team that I feel will lead us to more victories. Not like I see a dance team next year but I do see an uptick to 6-8 BIG victories(and not the letdowns such as to Radford), a fun team to watch and a thorn in the side of many of the teams in the conference hoping to dance.

Yes to all of this, plus you don’t even mention Audige who will be a third-year guy who has practiced with the team for a year and has proven himself already at the college level as a freshman (29 minutes per game, 9.4 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals, 37% 3pt shooting).

Where are people projecting a tourney bid next year? What am I missing? I think most people are saying a potential to get to 7-8 wins in the B1G. That’s still less than 500?

I would be very surprised to see Ayo and Otero return for next season. I think Cockburn goes in the first round right now and would not be shocked to see him declare.

NU has ALWAYS had less talent on The team than their B1G peers. Probably even in the tourney year. The bigger issue is they have rarely if ever had the superstar talent like you mention. Put any of those guys on your list on this team this year and you are looking at 500. Put the pieces together, try and stay healthy and we should realistically have a shot in 21-22 to go dancing.
Ayo will go pro. Check any NBA draft projection. Kofi isn’t listed in the top 100. His old school game is not used much in the NBA these days. He would be a lottery pick 15-20 years ago, but the game has changed. He has been told to expand his range and work in lateral quickness.

I feel your pain as a young team. Illinois was the second youngest team in the country last year and won 12 games (7 in BT). A year really helps even though this year Illinois’ top players are still two sophomores and a freshman. However, they also have a very good senior off the bench in Feliz.

I’m impressed with NU’s young talent. Big Ten is s tough league to move up in, but NU is trending that way.

I’d love to see a breakdown of each Big Ten team based on seniors/those leaving early for draft.

That's a very hard task. First you'd need someone well informed about each program. That would give you a good guess. But, most difficult, is to predict the leap over the summer for young guys. Case in point, Kopp had a good leap, Nance had a small leap.

Case in point, Minnesota lost a double double machine in Jordan Murphy, and its best scorer, Amir Coffey, went to the NBA. Yet, they are not worst than they were last season.

I’d love to see a breakdown of each Big Ten team based on seniors/those leaving early for draft. NU is losing Spencer and Turner. What is everyone else losing? I think the optimism is based on the expectation that other programs are losing more of their scoring and starting minutes than that.

And to replace Spencer and Turner, NU gets Berry, Audige, Nicholson and probably a grad transfer. Plus a fourth-year lockdown defender in Gaines back from injury.
From what I can find, there are 19 seniors who currently play at least 40% of minutes who will be graduating. Below, I've got the seniors >40% in bold, other seniors, other guys mentioned on various mock drafts who could leave early in italics, and current recruiting class rank:

Michigan: Jon Teske, Zavier Simpson, #4 recruiting class (1 5-star, 3 4-stars)
Illinois::Andres Feliz, Kipper Nichols, Ayo Dosunmu #10 recruiting class (1 5-star, 1 4-star, 2 3-stars)
Wisconsin: Brevin Pritzl #22 recruiting class (2 4-stars, 3 3-stars)
MSU: Cassius Winston, Kyle Ahrens, Joshua Langford, Xavier Tillman #28 recruiting class (2 4-stars)
Purdue: Jahaad Proctor, Evan Boudreaux, Tommy Luce, #31 recruiting class (2 4-stars, 1 3-star)
Indiana::Devonte Green, De'Ron Davis,Trayce Jackson-Davis #35 recruiting class (2 4-stars, 1 3-star)
OSU: Andre Wesson, Kaleb Wesson #44 recruiting class (2 4-stars)
PSU: Curtis Jones, Mike Watkins, Lamar Stevens #47 recruiting class (4 3-stars)
Minny: Alihan Demir, Daniel Oturu #54 recruiting class (2 4-stars)
Iowa: Ryan Kriener, Bakari Evelyn #55 recruiting class (2 3-stars, 3 lower ranked)
Rutgers: Akwasi Yeboah, Shaq Carter, #59 recruiting class (3 3-stars)
NU: AJ Turner, Pat Spencer #64 recruiting class (1 4-star, 1 3-star)
Maryland: Anthony Cowan, Michael Hurt, Jalen Smith #91 recruiting class (1 3-star)
Nebraska: Haanif Cheatham, Matej Kavaš, Cam Mack #91 recruiting class (1 3-star, 1 lower ranked)

Last edited:

The Lathon thing hurt us more than most would admit. Result is we went into last year without a PG with a team that had pieces so underperformed. This year we got glimpses of a true Frosh but we are very young and we lack any depth. Next year much of that will be behind us and we will have depth at all positions. We always have to go up against teams with more talent. Just saying that with the increased experience depth etc, I see 6-8 BIG wins next year and a fun team to watch develop.

Reactions: drewjin
The Lathon thing hurt us more than most would admit. Result is we went into last year without a PG with a team that had pieces so underperformed. This year we got glimpses of a true Frosh but we are very young and we lack any depth. Next year much of that will be behind us and we will have depth at all positions. We always have to go up against teams with more talent. Just saying that with the increased experience depth etc, I see 6-8 BIG wins next year and a fun team to watch develop.

based on what I’ve read of Lathon would not have been good enough to help us last year. The issue last year was Vic Laws knee, an epidemic of poor shooting and just too many young guys trying to fill in.

1) Doesn’t the stat line from Lathon at a bad conference suggest he probably wouldn’t have helped in the big ten as a true freshman? At this point he seems to be a convenient boogie man of an excuse.
2) Regardless of whether he made it to campus, it was a losing strategy to begin with. Having one one lead guard on a roster (and having that guard be a true freshman) is coaching malpractice.

From what I can find, there are 19 seniors who currently play at least 40% of minutes who will be graduating. Below, I've got the seniors, other guys mentioned on various mock drafts who could leave early in italics, and current recruiting class rank:

Michigan: Jon Teske, Zavier Simpson, #4 recruiting class (1 5-star, 3 4-stars)
Illinois::Andres Feliz, Ayo Dosunmu #10 recruiting class (1 5-star, 1 4-star, 2 3-stars)
Wisconsin: Brevin Pritzl #22 recruiting class (2 4-stars, 3 3-stars)
MSU: Cassius Winston, Xavier Tillman #28 recruiting class (2 4-stars)
Purdue: Jahaad Proctor #31 recruiting class (2 4-stars, 1 3-star)
Indiana::Devonte Green, Trayce Jackson-Davis #35 recruiting class (2 4-stars, 1 3-star)
OSU: Andre Wesson, Kaleb Wesson #44 recruiting class (2 4-stars)
PSU: Curtis Jones, Mike Watkins, Lamar Stevens #47 recruiting class (4 3-stars)
Minny: Alihan Demir, Daniel Oturu #54 recruiting class (2 4-stars)
Iowa: Ryan Kriener, Bakari Evelyn #55 recruiting class (2 3-stars, 3 lower ranked)
Rutgers: Akwasi Yeboah #59 recruiting class (3 3-stars)
NU: AJ Turner, Pat Spencer #64 recruiting class (1 4-star, 1 3-star)
Maryland: Anthony Cowan, Jalen Smith #91 recruiting class (1 3-star)
Nebraska: Haanif Cheatham, Cam Mack #91 recruiting class (1 3-star, 1 lower ranked)

Wow. For all the complaining around here about unused scholarships and transfers from the program, just look at how many teams have more players in their incoming freshmen class than they do seniors. It’s about half the conference!

And that assumes the guys you put in italics do declare for the NBA draft.

based on what I’ve read of Lathon would not have been good enough to help us last year. The issue last year was Vic Laws knee, an epidemic of poor shooting and just too many young guys trying to fill in.

We ranked KenPom #19 in defense last year and had the #204 offense. Look at how many close games we lost where our offense wilted under pressure. With an average Big Ten-level PG, a remaining lineup of Pardon, Law, Turner, and Taylor would have competed for an NCAA bid. Lathon's departure/non-arrival was a huge and unfortunate turning point.

We ranked KenPom #19 in defense last year and had the #204 offense. Look at how many close games we lost where our offense wilted under pressure. With an average Big Ten-level PG, a remaining lineup of Pardon, Law, Turner, and Taylor would have competed for an NCAA bid. Lathon's departure/non-arrival was a huge and unfortunate turning point.
I think you’re vastly overrating the rest of the roster around that PG role.

But the point is moot, because the evidence suggests that Lathon is very unlikely to have been a “league average PG” as a true freshman?

Reactions: IGNORE2
A dude that is not even starting right now at UTEP. And, since the transfer episode, has been getting like 10 min of play. But yeah, he'd have saved us as a freshman. :confused:
Except his departure left NU with a high school kid at LG.

Wow. For all the complaining around here about unused scholarships and transfers from the program, just look at how many teams have more players in their incoming freshmen class than they do seniors. It’s about half the conference!

And that assumes the guys you put in italics do declare for the NBA draft.
In fairness, I did update the post to add all seniors, including the ones who are hurt or don't play much, so the discrepancy between incoming classes and graduating seniors is not as drastic.

... Just saying that with the increased experience depth etc, I see 6-8 BIG wins next year and a fun team to watch develop.

This year, eight B10 wins probably gets you to the dance. Granted the ACC is really weak.

I've heard this in other places, so I checked Joe Lunardi's latest bracket. He has 12 B10 teams in the tournament!! 12!! Michigan is on a pace for 5-6 wins and they're not even in his last four. Minnesota is.

As I said, this is an odd season nationwide, but seven or eight conference wins has NU as a strong part of the discussion ... at worst.

OTOH, any type of decent team this year would have been in the tournament. Missed opportunity.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT